[Released] ManFriday’s Figure Converter for Genesis 9 [Commercial]

ManFridayManFriday Posts: 559

https://www.daz3d.com/figure-converter-for-genesis-9

Update your favorite Genesis shapes to Genesis 9!

Figure Converter for Genesis 9 is a plugin for Daz Studio 4.20 and above that can convert old Genesis shapes to Genesis 9 in seconds. It supports Genesis 3, 8, and 8.1 source figures, both female and male, all in one product. By default, it creates separate head and body morphs.

For Daz Published Artists (PAs) with access to high-resolution morphs, the tool will convert high-resolution character morphs as well.

Like the Pose Companion, the Figure Converter does not inspect any files or directories on disk. It operates directly on the current scene:

1. Load the Genesis figure that you want to convert into the scene and a stock Genesis 9 figure. Select both in the Scene tab.

2. Run the utility (either with the menu item in the new Convert menu or with the Ctrl + Alt + C keyboard shortcut).

3. In the window that appears, keep all the default options and press Convert. Wait a few seconds, and your Genesis 9 will have new shape morphs with the conversions.

The tool will then also offer you to save the new morphs as morph support assets into a content library, making them available to all Genesis 9 figures. See the screenshots for details.

The tool converts only shapes, not materials or geografts (such as horns or tails).

While the tool has reasonable defaults to convert most figures, Genesis 9 has separate geometries for eyes and teeth. Those parts of the source figure shape will not be converted. Figures with extreme deformations in the morphs (like monsters) may need manual adjustments for the eyeballs.

Comes with 64-bit Windows and Mac binaries and a comprehensive PDF manual.

Post edited by ManFriday on

Comments

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,837

Does this combine all of the head morphs for a character into one morph to transfer, for example, or does it transfer each individual morph in the head and then make a controller slider?

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 8,031

vwrangler said:

Does this combine all of the head morphs for a character into one morph to transfer, for example, or does it transfer each individual morph in the head and then make a controller slider?

The head and body have seperate sliders.

• ManFridayManFriday Posts: 559

vwrangler said:

You can create a single morph, or separate head or body morphs, or both. The way the head and body morphs work is that first the full body morph gets created, and then the result is sent through the head/body morph splitter that ships with the Genesis Essentials. The tool never creates ERC controller dials, but if you want one, you can create the head and body morphs and then create a controller dial yourself that dials both up.

• LauritaLaurita Posts: 197

Let me just repeat my statement from the Ongoing Relases thread ion t Commons forum:

I just bought it and tried it. Let's just say: it works. Almost perfectly, you probably need to adjust the rigging, but that's about it.

And yes, it is still a shame that HD morphs don't get converted but that's just the nature of the beast, I guess. I honestly can only recommend it. 

And while I was quite successful to convert my characters with Jay Versluis' method I always struggled with the eye placement. This converter does it straight out of the box. Colour me impressed.

Apologies if my responses are a bit sluggish over the day today. The product ended up being released during my family holiday and I will be in the driving in the car for most of the day. But I will respond as soon as I can!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,362

vwrangler said:

This question has not been answered. The question is not about head vs. body morphs. It is about whether individual head morphs used by the original character get lumped into a single morph in the G9 character, or whether each individual head morph used by the original character gets converted to an individual G9 morph, and then an ERC controller is created to combine their result to create the G9 head. I'm guessing it is the former: all lumped into one head morph. A definitive answer, when time allows, will be appreciated.

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,957

Looks great but not useful to me, not supporting Genesis 1 and 2.

Any chance of future "plugin" to add support to them?

barbult said:

vwrangler said:

This question has not been answered. The question is not about head vs. body morphs. It is about whether individual head morphs used by the original character get lumped into a single morph in the G9 character, or whether each individual head morph used by the original character gets converted to an individual G9 morph, and then an ERC controller is created to combine their result to create the G9 head. I'm guessing it is the former: all lumped into one head morph. A definitive answer, when time allows, will be appreciated.

It creates a single head morph. 

• M-CM-C Posts: 102

It´s a shame that DAZ still prevents us "casual" users from using HD morphs.
    I´d love to buy another one of ManFriday´s masterpieces but as long as I can´t convert HD morphs, I have no use for a converter at all. sad

edited July 2023

Let me try an example to hopefully make my question a bit more clear.

Let's say I have a character that I call "Bert". Bert's head has a combination of the following character's heads:

FHM Darius 8
    FHM Floyd 8
    FHM Aron

The product creates a single slider for the character called "Bert", and I can use the interface to split it into head and body shapes for Bert -- that I do understand. What I'm not clear about is, are the individual head morphs for Darius, Floyd and Aron *also* transferred to G9 so that the product can make the combination that way, or does the product read the shape in the scene, combine them all into one file for the shape beforehand, and then transfer only *one* morph file for the character shape, and the Darius/Floyd/Aron individual head morphs stay with G8M and don't get sent to G9 as separate morph files at all.

I'm asking in this way because, with the G9 unimesh, I'm very concerned about morph bloat -- having so many that loading just gets bogged down. G9 has only been out for a year, and may be around for some time longer, and there are already well over 50 characters available as native G9, so I don't want to make it impossible to use by transferring characters and all their component morphs.

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • mautnermautner Posts: 1

I can't find it in IM but I can download it from the library. Is this a product or IM issue? Is it save to install it manually?

vwrangler said:

or does the product read the shape in the scene, combine them all into one file for the shape beforehand, and then transfer only *one* morph file for the character shape, and the Darius/Floyd/Aron individual head morphs stay with G8M and don't get sent to G9 as separate morph files at all.

This 

mautner said:

I can't find it in IM but I can download it from the library. Is this a product or IM issue? Is it save to install it manually?

It is most likely a web issue and been reported. It can be installed manually, but wait for it to show up in IM. 

• I just bought this, but it doesn't show up in Daz Central, and hasn't installed automatically. 

Help!

• CometsComets Posts: 87

p0psie said:

I just bought this, but it doesn't show up in Daz Central, and hasn't installed automatically. 

Help!

Same - I manually downloaded  the file from the account screen. Open the zip and you'll find the PDF guide where ManFriday also includes instructions on how to install the file properly - glad he included that!

• ZiconZicon Posts: 197

vwrangler said:

According to the promo pictures, if you have multiple morphs active when converting, they will become a single morph in the target figure. If you want them to be separate morphs, you have to convert each individually.

• CometsComets Posts: 87

I was hoping this would help with the eyeball part of the conversion but it doesn't appear to. I've converted several G8 figures such as Victoria, Edward, Mousso Tatum, and a couple of Bluejaunte's. As advertised all the shapes converted beautifully, but, all with the exception of Victoria have large gaps between the eyeball and socket. I just used the default settings for the transfer and adjusted the rigging afterwards.

Would adjusting the proportion slider help with the eyeball issue, or is there another step I could take to improve it?

• Comets said:

Same - I manually downloaded  the file from the account screen. Open the zip and you'll find the PDF guide where ManFriday also includes instructions on how to install the file properly - glad he included that!

Thanks Comets. I downloaded the file too, but of course completely ignored the PDF and used the normal process of throwing the plugins folder into Daz, but without reading the PDF, and it didn't work. So I tried following the PDF instructions... but the path specified in the instructions wasn't valid for my install. Finally worked out that it had failed to install originally due to Daz being on my D: drive (I constantly forget this myself - which doesn't help haha!). Tracked down the plugins folder on my D drive install and bingo!

The non appearance in DIM has been confirmed, they are looking into it.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,944
    edited July 2023

while I am unlikely to buy this myself, it would be awesome if lots of PAs did and ...gasp release multiple generations of their HD characters!

well not so awesome for my wallet devil

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • necroscensionnecroscension Posts: 106
    edited July 2023

So far I'm not having luck with G3M characters. I've tried Elijah 7, Lucian 7 and Guy 7, and having problems with the arms. I've made sure both G9 and G3M were both zero-posed and zero-position before converting, BUT it looks as though either one of the figures isn't at zero pose where the arms are concerned. The other could be my clone is bad?

You can see G9 and G3M in zero position/pose, showing how the head/body/legs appear to be near perfect but the arms of G9 are not the same thickness and look broken at the elbow and thumb.

Post edited by necroscension on

vwrangler said:

Let's say I have a character that I call "Bert". Bert's head has a combination of the following character's heads:

FHM Darius 8
    FHM Floyd 8
    FHM Aron

The product creates a single slider for the character called "Bert", and I can use the interface to split it into head and body shapes for Bert -- that I do understand. What I'm not clear about is, are the individual head morphs for Darius, Floyd and Aron *also* transferred to G9 so that the product can make the combination that way, or does the product read the shape in the scene, combine them all into one file for the shape beforehand, and then transfer only *one* morph file for the character shape, and the Darius/Floyd/Aron individual head morphs stay with G8M and don't get sent to G9 as separate morph files at all.

I'm asking in this way because, with the G9 unimesh, I'm very concerned about morph bloat -- having so many that loading just gets bogged down. G9 has only been out for a year, and may be around for some time longer, and there are already well over 50 characters available as native G9, so I don't want to make it impossible to use by transferring characters and all their component morphs.

It is the latter. The Figure Converter looks only at the final shape of the source figure, whatever morphs that may come from - one head morph, one body morph, or your "Bert" -, and creates a single morph in the target figure from it. Depending on the options that are selected, that single full morph will be preserved in the target, or sent through the head/body morph splitter to create separate head and/or body morphs. Where the "source" morphs came from -- head or body or something you cooked up yourself -- does not matter. I hope this makes it clearer!

edited July 2023

For people who wants to install it manually until it appears in DIM, follow these simple steps:

1. Download it from your Product Library
    2. Put the file(s) you have just downloaded in your DIM downloads folder
    3. Start DIM, it should appear in the Ready To Install tab

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on

necroscension said:

So far I'm not having luck with G3M characters. I've tried Elijah 7, Lucian 7 and Guy 7, and having problems with the arms. I've made sure both G9 and G3M were both zero-posed and zero-position before converting, BUT it looks as though either one of the figures isn't at zero pose where the arms are concerned. The other could be my clone is bad?

You can see G9 and G3M in zero position/pose, showing how the head/body/legs appear to be near perfect but the arms of G9 are not the same thickness and look broken at the elbow and thumb.

Thank you for your support! I'm afraid that I'm traveling at the moment and cannot try to debug this issue right now. However, the distortions in the arms might be resulting from the difference in the default positions between Genesis 3 and 8/9. I will have a closer look at it in a few days when I am back home! Sorry for the delay.

edited July 2023

barbult said:

vwrangler said:

Thank you Barbult. To be clear, yes, the source morphs get lumped together always. Whatever morphs are active get converted.

Post edited by ManFriday on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,640

ManFriday said:

Thank you Barbult. To be clear, yes, the source morphs get lumped together always. Whatever morphs are active get converted.

I actually love this feature. I have many G3 and G8 custom characters I have created over time and it's great to be able to create a single head and body morph from them for G9.

• necroscensionnecroscension Posts: 106
    edited July 2023

ManFriday said:

necroscension said:

Thank you for your support! I'm afraid that I'm traveling at the moment and cannot try to debug this issue right now. However, the distortions in the arms might be resulting from the difference in the default positions between Genesis 3 and 8/9. I will have a closer look at it in a few days when I am back home! Sorry for the delay.

That's what I get for trying the G3M conversion first...  I was able to convert Esra by Mechaser (G8M/G8.1M) fairly easily, though.

Wow, even Hal converted smoothly... And Melyen (which would hang up in another script).

Post edited by necroscension on
  • whfieldwhfield Posts: 44

Hi Man,

I just purchased this item, but it does not have a DIM link. I had to download it manually and read the documentation that it should be installed through DIM. Please submit a ticket to have it placed as a DIM download and I will do the same from my side.

Thanks

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,640
    edited July 2023

Any ideas on why this happens? this is the 3rd GF3 body morph (head came out great though) that did this almost exact issue with the hands and arms. I tried adjust rigging to shape, but that didn't help at all

bbbbnnnn.jpg
    1920 x 1001 - 473K
    Post edited by FSMCDesigns on

ManFriday said:

vwrangler said:

FHM Darius 8
    FHM Floyd 8
    FHM Aron

It is the latter. The Figure Converter looks only at the final shape of the source figure, whatever morphs that may come from - one head morph, one body morph, or your "Bert" -, and creates a single morph in the target figure from it. Depending on the options that are selected, that single full morph will be preserved in the target, or sent through the head/body morph splitter to create separate head and/or body morphs. Where the "source" morphs came from -- head or body or something you cooked up yourself -- does not matter. I hope this makes it clearer!

That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you so much!