[Released] ManFriday’s Figure Converter for Genesis 9 [Commercial]

Comments

• necroscensionnecroscension Posts: 106
    edited August 2023

OK, the EYES... This worked for me. Let me know if I missed something.

1. Resizing/moving the eyes

• ​To MOVE the eyes: With Genesis 9 selected, go to either the Parameters or Shaping tab and search for eyeball. You should see the following morphs (these are Daz 3D morphs according to the file location in the data folder):
      • Eyeball Position Depth - move both eyes forward/backward
      • Eyeball Position Height - move both eyes up/down
      • Eyeball Position Side-Side Left - move left eye side to side
      • Eyeball Position Side-Side Right - move right eye side to side
    • To SCALE the eyes: Select Genesis 9 Eyes, and navigate to the eye bones in the scene tab. Adjust the scale for each eye.
    • If you don't have the Eyeball morphs in your Genesis 9, locate the eye bones in Genesis 9 and use the translation/rotation transforms. These can be tempermental, and you'll need to lower the Nudge in the Parameter Settings to something smaller, like 0.1%.
    • As a reminder, select Genesis 9 to MOVE the eyes, select Genesis 9 Eyes to SCALE the eyes.
    • NOTE: If using the Eyeball morphs on large eyes and the morph is too limited in its movement, go into Parameter Settings for that morph and uncheck Use Limits!

2. Create the eye morph

• Once you are happy with how the eyes look:
      • In the Scene tab, hide EVERYTHING except Genesis 9 Eyes
      • Select Genesis 9 Eyes, and change:
        • Resolution Level: Base Resolution
        • View SubD Level: 0
        • Render SubD Level: 0
      • Export Genesis 9 Eyes as an obj
        • File -> Export
        • Select/create a folder to save your obj in. I have a folder for just G9 eyes.
        • These are my export settings. Some may be unnecessary, but they work for me
          • Convert From DAZ Studio
            • To: DAZ Studio (1 unit = 1 cm)
            • Scale: 100 %
          • Axis Conversion
            • Lateral(X): X
            • Vertical(Y): Y
            • Depth(Z): Z
            • Leave the three check boxes unchecked (or uncheck if checked)
          • Have the following checked:
            • Ignore Invisible Nodes
            • Write UV Coordinates
            • Write Normals
            • Write Faces
            • Write Polylines
            • Write Separate Objects
            • Write Groups
              • Groups: Use Existing
            • Write Surfaces
              • Maps: Original
            • Write Material Library
            • Quote Paths Containing Spaces
          • Give a name for the obj. Personally, I name it the same as the head morph.
          • Click Accept to export the obj
    • Create the morph:
      • Delete everything from the scene
      • Load Genesis 9 Eyes
      • With the eyes selected, open Morph Loader Pro
      • Set:
        • Convert To DAZ Studio: DAZ Studio (1 unit = 1cm)
        • Load Morphs for: Primary Figure (Vertex Only)
      • Select Choose Morph Files and open the obj file you created.
      • The obj name should appear. Click the arrow at the left of the obj name to expand the data.
        • Name: If you did not name the obj the same as the head morph, do so here. Double click the value under Value and change the name if needed
        • Property Group: If you know the location you want the morph to go, you can right-click the value (should be Morphs/Morph Loader) and change it. This isn't necessary, and can be changed afterwards (you'll only need to know the location when you test and save the morph!)
        • Reverse Deformations: Yes. Right-click the Value to change it to Yes
      • Click Accept to load.
      • If you followed the instructions, this should pass. If it fails, either another item is visible and being exported with the eyes OR the Resolution Level was not set correctly. If you did not save the figure as a scene with the moved/scaled eyes, you'll have to start all over with adjusting the eyes.
      • Once the morph has loaded successfully, locate the morph and dial to 100% to verify that the eyes appear to move to the correct location. I know, it's hard to tell without the Genesis 9 figure in the scene, but you should have an idea if the eyes are moving to the correct spot!
      • At this point, you can click the gear at the upper right of the morph block and select Parameter Settings. You can change the morph's Name and Label (needs to be the same name as the head morph!) if you didn't do so when you loaded the morph through Morph Loader Pro. You can also make other changes, like change the morph block's color, add an icon or an image card. These changes would be unnecessary because you should really never have a reason to touch these morphs, but if you are OCD and have to do so, go for it. Just click Accept after you are done, and don't change anything if you don't know what it does!
      • You can perform an Adjust Rigging to Shape, but it shouldn't be necessary.
      • Save your eye morph:
        • File -> Save as -> Support Asset -> Morph Asset(s)
        • Base Data Folder:
          • Asset Directory: verify it's your assets directory/My Library
          • Vendor Name: not necessary, but nice to use the same vendor name used for the main head/body morphs for organization purposes
          • Product Name: not necessary, but nice to use the same product name used for the main head/body morphs for organization purposes
        • Properties
          • Expand the arrow to the left side of Genesis 9 Eyes. DO NOT CHECK THE BOX!!!
          • Remember the morph's location? Expand the boxes until you locate the morph and check the box to the left of the morph's name. If you never changed the default location, the morph would be at:
            • Genesis 9 Eyes -> Morphs -> Morph Loader
        • File Options: 
          • Compress File(s): this is up to you. The file gets zipped to make it smaller, but still has the same file extension.
        • Click Accept to save

3. Check out your adjusted morph!

• Delete Genesis 9 Eyes from the scene.
    • Load Genesis 9 and apply the head morph.
    • You head morph should load with the eyes in the location you set!

I know, this seems like a lot. But, it's actually quicker than it sounds. If you've already a pro with import/export, you can ignore the settings I wrote. I have a manually transferred Mavka morph that I used to document this process.

G9 Mavka Witch

Post edited by necroscension on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,615

ManFriday said:

Apologies for the delay, and I haven't found a solution for the problems yet. Still working on it. Please stay tuned!

No problem, just happy to know you are working on it.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,971

@necroscension: Wow! Thank you very much for the detailed explanation/tips.

• ManFridayManFriday Posts: 559

@necroscension: That is an excellent description! Thank you very much.

Regarding the Genesis 3 arm distortions, I have spent a lot of time trying to find out what is going wrong, and I haven't been able to figure it out. It seems to be related to the differences between the default poses (T-pose for Genesis 3, A-pose for Genesis 9), but even if I try to compensate for those by moving the arm joints by 45°, the problems actually get worse. I'm afraid I can't find a solution to this in an acceptable timeframe. Maybe I'll have an epiphany about how to fix this but for now this is going to have to be a limitation of the product.

Regarding the distorted fingers, I have been able to fix all distorted fingers for Genesis 8 conversions with "Adjust rigging to shape". Correct me if I'm wrong but the screenshots with the badly distorted fingers were Genesis 3 figures (The Girl 7 is one), so this falls under the above "Genesis 8 body morph" category, and I am presently unable to fix this as well.

Apologies for the delay, and I am sorry this slipped through. A Genesis 3 workaround for now is to only convert the head morph and find some similar body morph from the Genesis 9 morph collections, or convert a body from Genesis 8 instead. I hope you can live with this!

So depressed now. Thanks for the info though so I can move on and not wonder if a fix is coming

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,293

Did you bake joint rotations after bending the G3 bones, before using transfer utility?

• LauritaLaurita Posts: 196

FSMCDesigns said:

So depressed now. Thanks for the info though so I can move on and not wonder if a fix is coming

You still can convert your G3 characters to G8 first and convert them to G9 in a second step. That's how I did it at least. 

Laurita said:

FSMCDesigns said:

You still can convert your G3 characters to G8 first and convert them to G9 in a second step. That's how I did it at least. 

True, but I like the simplicity of doing it this way, plus the selling point for me is the creation of a simgle morph from all the various mophs in the original G3 figure

• franky85franky85 Posts: 114
    edited August 2023

// edit : Issue seems that there was two sets of the converted morphs, one in each of my Daz Libraries - I didn't put them there manually though so somehow different morphs from the conversion process ended up in the two /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 9/Base/Morphs/ directories. Didn't get a duplicate formula when loading them either.

Hi,

First I would like to say thanks for making this. I've also used RSSY's one but it often crashes Daz for me (not just G9 conversions, but G8 and so on.. on multiple computers) so I kind of stopped using it. I also love that your script creates morphs that match the default G9 height by default, thus making the figures more compatible with one another.

I seem to have this issue the script seems to disregard my settings of starting with the base G9 shape and it still requires the "Base Feminine" morph to be applied as well despite me not having dialed it as such. Definitely not a deal breaker (some will see it as a best practice to have this morph on for female figures) but I do not understand - When the script finishes, you are left with a G9 character that dials properly without the "base feminine" morphs - yet when you load another base G9 figure, and load the saved morph from your script, it needs the extra feminine morphs applied to it :

Left is Zsazsa for G8F

Middle is the G9 figure that remains after your script has run.

Right is a new G9 figure loading the morphs saved by your script.

Middle figure morphs :

Right figure morphs:

The only thing I did besides moving them on the X axis is add the "Proportion Height" to them..there's no weird hidden morphs either. Any idea what's up with that?

Post edited by franky85 on
  • WSCWSC Posts: 157

Hey, is there an easy way to delete all the failed trial morphs I created. I have no clue where the files are....

• WSC said:

Hey, is there an easy way to delete all the failed trial morphs I created. I have no clue where the files are....

If you saved them as assets then they will be in /data/daz 3d/Genesis whichever/figure/morphs/your author name/your product name/ - the last two coming from the entries in the options dialogue - in the content directory you set at the top of the options dialogue.

• Hmmm, I was happily converting a week ago but was pulled away by real life. I am loading the base genesis 9 figure as the target. When I got back to it this evening I get this message: "Could not convert firgure. Node ("Genesis 9") has no property named "CloneGenesis8Female". Where have I gone astray?

edited August 2023

franky85 said:

// edit : Issue seems that there was two sets of the converted morphs, one in each of my Daz Libraries - I didn't put them there manually though so somehow different morphs from the conversion process ended up in the two /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 9/Base/Morphs/ directories. Didn't get a duplicate formula when loading them either.

I just tried to reproduce this and it seems to be working correctly for me. I don't have Zsazsa but I tried with a different G8 Mousso character (Lux) and it looks correct. In the picture: on the left, the original G8 Lux characcter (with some shiny material); in the middle, the direct result of the converter on G9 without any modifications; on the right, a stock G9 with the head and body morphs dialed up that the converter created. The height difference is because the converter dials up "Proportion height" to make the morph more correct, and the figure on the right has the default G9 height still.

Edit: Oh. I just saw that you figured it out yourself. Good because the forums didn't want me to upload my screenshot anyway :-)

You don't get "duplicate formula" when two morphs exist with the same name in different libraries. Daz seems to just silently pick the one that it found first.

Post edited by ManFriday on

Richard Haseltine said:

WSC said:

If you saved them as assets then they will be in /data/daz 3d/Genesis whichever/figure/morphs/your author name/your product name/ - the last two coming from the entries in the options dialogue - in the content directory you set at the top of the options dialogue.

Thank you Richard. The PDF user manual also explains the detail on page 5, chapter 7, "Saving morph support assets."

One extra hint, the Content Library pane hides the "data" directory, you have to look at it with Windows Explorer.

greg_82000392 said:

Hmmm, I was happily converting a week ago but was pulled away by real life. I am loading the base genesis 9 figure as the target. When I got back to it this evening I get this message: "Could not convert firgure. Node ("Genesis 9") has no property named "CloneGenesis8Female". Where have I gone astray?

IIRC the clone morphs come with the "Genesis 9 Starter essentials", even though they are hidden by default. Have you tried reinstalling the essentials with DIM?

barbult said:

Did you bake joint rotations after bending the G3 bones, before using transfer utility?

I did not, but the problem with the bending is that the extra bending adds up being added to the converted G9 morphs. So if I bend the bones before converting, the arms get bent more than 45°, and it's completely wrong.

• WSCWSC Posts: 157

ManFriday said:

Richard Haseltine said:

WSC said:

Thank you Richard. The PDF user manual also explains the detail on page 5, chapter 7, "Saving morph support assets."

One extra hint, the Content Library pane hides the "data" directory, you have to look at it with Windows Explorer.

"hides"..... Ok, this is the problem I'm having. Thanks!

ManFriday said:

barbult said:

I did not, but the problem with the bending is that the extra bending adds up being added to the converted G9 morphs. So if I bend the bones before converting, the arms get bent more than 45°, and it's completely wrong.

I believe that you SHOULD bake joint rotations before running the transfer utility. Baking will keep the bent pose but make that bend the 0 rotation, instead of 45. It works for me when doing manual conversions. I believe WP Guru has a video about the process.
  • ManFriday said:

greg_82000392 said:

Hmmm, I was happily converting a week ago but was pulled away by real life. I am loading the base genesis 9 figure as the target. When I got back to it this evening I get this message: "Could not convert firgure. Node ("Genesis 9") has no property named "CloneGenesis8Female". Where have I gone astray?

IIRC the clone morphs come with the "Genesis 9 Starter essentials", even though they are hidden by default. Have you tried reinstalling the essentials with DIM?

Aha! This was not the problem but an excellent hint. Thank you!  It was the addition of Tuyrbo Loader for Genesis 9, which disabled the essentials morphs, since I last used the converter. all's well again.

@ManFriday I answered your PM, but Daz doesn't notify you of responses anymore.

Having an issue. I just created a head and body morph from a custom G8. I adjusted rigging before saving and now when i load G9 and apply the morph, I have to adjust rigging again, I thought once you adjusted and saved you were good,but that doesn't seem to be the case in this instance. Am I missing something?

FSMCDesigns said:

Having an issue. I just created a head and body morph from a custom G8. I adjusted rigging before saving and now when i load G9 and apply the morph, I have to adjust rigging again, I thought once you adjusted and saved you were good,but that doesn't seem to be the case in this instance. Am I missing something?

ERC Freeze after adjusting rigging. Then save the morph.

barbult said:

FSMCDesigns said:

Thanks, but I didn't have to do that with the other conversuions and it doesn't mention that in the manual  Guess I will give it a try and see if that fixes it.

FSMCDesigns said:

barbult said:

FSMCDesigns said:

Thanks, but I didn't have to do that with the other conversuions and it doesn't mention that in the manual  Guess I will give it a try and see if that fixes it.

Here's a link to a Josh Darling video that explains and demonstrates the process.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,770

After failing to achieve the level of beauty and bodaciousness of my G8.1 heroine, I snapped this up at a discount (thanks to tokens) and attempted to copy her. It took four tries, but I finally got her copied correctly, though I had to dial back the head to 80 and dial in some G9 to get the cuteness I lost from---I can only guess---using a different skin.

I'm satisfied because I got what I needed. G9 has a loooooong way to go before it can do what G8 does (and it may never get there since Rarestone and EmmaAndJordi have left the building). But G9 Core Figure skins (most of them) look more human and photorealistic in headshots than G8, and I cannot pass that up anymore.

Thanks, ManFriday, for going through what you had to go through to get us this Figure Converter. This thread was a big help since I otherwise would never have known why I couldn't find the check box for Adjust Rigging to Shape or exactly where to find it in Studio. Thanks also to barbult for always sharing info and tips on the forums.

• Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 554
    edited September 2023

@ManFriday this sounds like a compelling product! No doubt there were technical reasons for omission, but was there any particular reason for not supporting Genesis 2? I would suspect it's something to do with the bone structure being different (eg there's only one neck bone vs two for G3+).

That generation did have some great morphs, some of my faves being Darius 6, Ninive 6 and Gianni 6.

Post edited by Silas3D on
  • Silas3D said:

@ManFriday this sounds like a compelling product! No doubt there were technical reasons for omission, but was there any particular reason for not supporting Genesis 2? I would suspect it's something to do with the bone structure being different (eg there's only one neck bone vs two for G3+).

That generation did have some great morphs, some of my faves being Darius 6, Ninive 6 and Gianni 6.

Genesis 3 and 8 are fairly similar in terms of bone structure and rigging. Genesis 2 is quite different!

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,043
    edited September 2023

I just recently purchased this. The manual says one can adjust the rigging but no, there is no adjust the rigging feature. Thanks to this thread, I see that indeed that feature was pulled but since somebody commented that the manual had been updated, no it was not.

eta: It also says "Can automatically run “adjust rigging to shape” after the conversion" on the product page.

Manually installed, entered key, restarted and after a few bumps in the road got a few success.

What I do like are the 3 morph options: full character ; head ; body ... and each morph works independently of the others. [i.e. the full character is not a controller]

Adjusting rigging to shape: be careful to have only one of the new morphs dialed up full. Adjust rigging to shape. Oh yes, "always" work with the Parameter dials in "edit mode" -- if you don't, it will look like you did stuff but no, upon returning you will find nothing changed. Then Run the ERC freeze. Then zero the morph and save it.

[If some rigging expert wants to come by and correct me in this, feel free to] For the body morph: deselect all the bone references to neck and head. [right-click toggles can be very helpful] Also on the surface weight sides [whatever it's called, D/S on other computer]   For the head morph: deselect everything and then select all the neck and head choices ... again both for the bones and for the surface weight stuff. For the full character: leave everything selected and accept.

As for morphing the eyes, there are some G9 utitilies to help create things for G9. However as I recall, if one names their new eye morph the same as the name for the character's morph, when the character is dialed so too will be the eye morph on the eyes. [kind of similar to how FBMs etc. work].

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,971

Just wonder, if that utility would help with adjusting rigging to the shape:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/647276/shape-rigger-plus-g9-edition-commercial#latest

Artini said:

Just wonder, if that utility would help with adjusting rigging to the shape:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/647276/shape-rigger-plus-g9-edition-commercial#latest

Yes, it works great after the converter.