is this a forum or a place where we all say goodbye? i've read the last 5 posts only things about...

Comments

• Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

That sounds more like Genesis in Poser.

Odd you have so much trouble with V4 and clothing in Poser. I not only morph the poor dear till she cries, but will lengthen or shorten arms/legs/torso/etc., and may have a few problem spots ... which are easily fixed ... with her clothing, but I've never had her clothes all go to hell.

Not unless I put someone else's clothing on her and made the mistake of conforming them.

I don't use "old Poser" characters because they look like crap. I don't use "new Poser" characters because I've become spoiled with auto-fit. It just takes too much effort (in comparison) to clothe a "Poser" or Gen4 character any more. Every time I bring in V4, then morph her, the clothes all go to hell. At that point I decide that in the time it would take to just "fix" the pokethru I could have a Genesis loaded, morphed, posed, haired, clothed, positioned, and working on the next Genesis in the frame.

Why would I ask for adding more work to my day? I'd more likely ask the Poser Only character creators to create a Genesis version. But you know what? I'm not interested in causing angsty threads at Rendo or RDNA to ask for them. I'll do without rather than cause undue strife over a 3D character. Besides, it wouldn't be that hard to make a Genesis clone of just about any figure with just a few dials. Alexa is becoming a pro at that very thing.

Kendall

• foleyprofoleypro Posts: 442
    edited August 2012

I have been thru this so many times...

Bottom line is this...

In every majorRelease of a generation figure from day one at Zygote thru DAZ its still the same thing...
    People will be un-happy because they cant get this or that to work...

"I am Leaving and thats it"

But then we find out that they were wrong...

It does come down to what you can do with these figures and THATS it...
    If you have a problem of haveing BOUGHT morphs for pre Genesis aka V1234 and M1234 you can buy a plugin that will convert YOUR morphs into Genesis...So saying that there are NO excuses..

What can I say...The ability to take Genesis beyound normal thinking is so freakin awesome...

Post edited by foleypro on
  • DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

you are quite vocal.

My reputation precedes me!

And I think all gen3 clothing I've bought thinking I could use on genesis never works out. So I've been burnt there too many times. Even with smoothing off or very low the items have too many issues.

This is what I was referring to: shirt, jeans, boots and gloves are M3 Lone Wolf, Sheepskin Jacket is M3 Daedalus Sky Mercenary - pretty much bought Sky Mercenary just for the sheepskin jacket.

It still needs some work on the posing and lighting, but all the clothing is autofitted Gen 3 and I think it works just fine in this case.

Genesis_Kumar_-_Bollywood_Cowboy.jpg
    800 x 1131 - 160K
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

i dont doubt that it works, just not all the time. i use a lot of my gen4 stuff, sometimes it does take some extra time to work right but in most cases its pretty smooth. gen3 has a lower success rate for me.

gen5 has the highest success rate so i like that reliability. i dont plan to stop using my old content, but i dont want to buy stuff that might not work.

also i do a lot of close ups so minor fitting or smoothing issues are more detremental than when rendering a scene

• eclark1849eclark1849 Posts: 211
    edited December 1969

adzan said:
    If you want the figures to work in Studio, ask DAZ about it. If not, then don't complain if newly created figures don't work in Studio.

And yet, the reverse doesn't seem to be true.

not entirely accurate..
    customers have asked on both sides of the equation..
    daz where asked about supporting the new poser figures and rigging and the answer was along the lines of - it wasn't the direction they where going to take - at the time they where developing Daz Studio 4 and Genesis
    so it isn't all that different from the reason given by Smith Micro as to why they wouldn't currently support Genesis when customers asked if they would support the new daz figure

I'm referring specifically to what EClark said: If you want the figures to work in Studio, ask DAZ about it. If not, then don't complain if newly created figures don't work in Studio.

I was wondering if he also tells Poser users to ask SM if they want Genesis in Poser, and if they don't care about Genesis in Poser they shouldn't complain.

I'm not saying, BTW, that I agree with him, just wondering if he says the same thing in the reciprocal situation. I haven't seen him saying it on these forums, but perhaps he does on other forums.

Truth be told, I haven't seen the need to do so. Fact is, I usually don't participate in Genesis related threads anymore. Too much hostility. Since the comment was about other figures not working in DS. I responded.

As for the last part, I've never told anyone whether they use Genesis or not, to not complain or not to ask SM, if they want the figure (or is it platform) to work in Poser. Have you?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

I'm referring specifically to what EClark said:

If you want the figures to work in Studio, ask DAZ about it. If not, then don't complain if newly created figures don't work in Studio.

I was wondering if he also tells Poser users to ask SM if they want Genesis in Poser, and if they don't care about Genesis in Poser they shouldn't complain.

I'm not saying, BTW, that I agree with him, just wondering if he says the same thing in the reciprocal situation. I haven't seen him saying it on these forums, but perhaps he does on other forums.

Truth be told, I haven't seen the need to do so. Fact is, I usually don't participate in Genesis related threads anymore. Too much hostility. Since the comment was about other figures not working in DS. I responded.

As for the last part, I've never told anyone whether they use Genesis or not, to not complain or not to ask SM, if they want the figure (or is it platform) to work in Poser. Have you?

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. I've never told anyone not to complain, whether they asked DAZ 3D, SM, both, or neither. I interpreted your statement quoted above as meaning:
    (a) if you want P8 or P9 figures to work in DAZ Studio, ask DAZ 3D to provide support for them, and
    (b) if you don't care about those figures, don't complain.
    If I'm misinterpreting what you meant, my apologies. If I haven't misinterpreted, then I'm just curious if you say the same in the reverse situation, as I have heard people who say they aren't interested in Genesis nonetheless complain about it not working in Poser.

• eclark1849eclark1849 Posts: 211
    edited December 1969

I'm referring specifically to what EClark said:

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. I've never told anyone not to complain, whether they asked DAZ 3D, SM, both, or neither. I interpreted your statement quoted above as meaning:
    (a) if you want P8 or P9 figures to work in DAZ Studio, ask DAZ 3D to provide support for them, and
    (b) if you don't care about those figures, don't complain.
    If I'm misinterpreting what you meant, my apologies. If I haven't misinterpreted, then I'm just curious if you say the same in the reverse situation, as I have heard people who say they aren't interested in Genesis nonetheless complain about it not working in Poser.

As I've said in this thread and elsewhere, I can't get at Genesis to use it because Studio doesn't run on my machine. So honestly, I don't really give a rodent's hindquarters as to whether in works in Poser or not. If anyone else really wants it to work in Poser, then they should take it up with SM.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited December 1969

Ivy said:
    . . . SickleYield and several other PA's have stated, in the past, how much more work supporting Gen4 characters are than Genesis. They've also discussed how little returns they get G4 vs Gn . . .

I'm wondering, is this a good place for PAs to pair up? One makes the original product for their preferred generation, then hands it off to the other for a pro-level conversion (yes, for Mil4 to Genesis Autofits's gotten lots better, but still), then they both release their products at the same time (with a bundle for the bundle-lovers, that'd be nice). The Genesis-loving PA doesn't have to take the Mil4-work risk, the Mil4-forever PA doesn't have to touch Genesis, both tap their respective markets without cutting into each other's profits, and neither gets hit with "but why not for mine?" complaints.

Not sure what the most equitable monetary arrangement would be for that, but (from my non-PA perspective, of course) I'd think it'd work out great for everybody! And even better for the texture-product PAs, since they'll get customers from both the Genesis and Mil4 pools.

I like your thinking :)
    ...same here.

edited September 2012

...post removed for now

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited December 1969

Oh boy, where on "100" and so many around here, that didn't leave :)
    or all curious about what that exciting program be Sssoooooon

• RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 899
    edited September 2012

SLoTH_XVX said:
    DAZ has been hinting at Genesis becoming compatable with Poser, so I think jumping ship at this point might be a little premature.

With that being said why are people compelled to create a thread that they are leaving?

I don't mean to sound cold or mean but why not just leave quietly? Why must people always make a spectical of leaving?

:question:

I figured I'd give my own answer to this question.

I see this a lot on the internet but primarily on gaming forums, especially MMOs. If someone is quitting an MMO they seem to have a compulsive need to post why they're quitting. It happens often enough that gamers have a standard snarky response "can I have your stuff?" and I have, at times, nearly posted it in some of the "I quit!" threads especially because they all list pretty much exactly the same reasons and never add anything new to the discussion.

I've seen enough of those posts that my attitude has gradually morphed from "I understand and hope SM and Daz figure out a way to make everyone happy" to well...less understanding.

Post edited by Riggswolfe on
  • Velvet GoblinVelvet Goblin Posts: 532
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I say DAZ should apologize for inventing a new Mesh that can be almost any shape that a modeler wishes it to be. Can use multiple UV maps and textures right out of the box. Can use 90% or more of the old Gen3 and Gen4 figures clothing items without trouble. And then they make the new mesh figure so easy to build clothing for that Artist can develop items so much easier and faster than ever before that they prefer the new figure over all the work needed to make the same item for the older figures. Just Who does DAZ think it is?

I mean really. Blah... nuff said.

No. The only thing Daz needs to apologize for is telling Poser users a year ago that they would continue to support them in the PC, and for Poser users just to hang on for a bit longer.... That we're hearing this again is grounds for serious annoyance.

The rest is pure business and totally reasonable.

• GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,461
    edited December 1969

I didn't leave DAZ. DAZ left me.:-)

You know, it's just weird seeing myself listed as a "New Member" when I've been around since Poser 2.

Amen to that!

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

No. The only thing Daz needs to apologize for is telling Poser users a year ago that they would continue to support them in the PC, and for Poser users just to hang on for a bit longer.... That we're hearing this again is grounds for serious annoyance.

The rest is pure business and totally reasonable.

Seems like they have good intent but can't seem to keep up with it. Which is definitely annoying. Unfortunately they are also fairly secretive(from what I can see) and we never get any solid plan of action. So in those cases I choose not to trust the speaker even if I trust their intent.

But I can understand wanting to keep the dream alive.

• Cyn ArtCyn Art Posts: 0
    edited September 2012

[snip, snip] . . . Never mind that there were bug reports in DS3 that were ignored for more than 2 years, just pissing off loyal customers while DAZ went in this new direction.
    . . . [snip]

. . . . . . . . ::thumbs up:: d :P b

. . . . . . . . :lol:

Not that the new direction isn't nice in a lot of ways. Just that the old direction is for whatever reasons still the only direction atm for some. We all hate to lose our fix. :sick:

Post edited by Cyn Art on
  • Cyn ArtCyn Art Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...post removed for now

. . . . . . :lol: LoL I like this "for now" stuff. :lol:

::scratches head:: My personal take on the "bye" threads is that I thought each one's purpose was a little obvious according to the tone of the original post.

I've decided if I leave, I'm going to say goodbye, then leave. Then return again, say I was gone, then leave again with no notice . . . then come back again and be mad that nobody noticed I was gone. :-/

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited September 2012

When I leave, I doubt anyone will notice. Fewer will probably care.

EDIT: OK, a few of the mods might notice... and celebrate! :-)

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • xinkblotsxxinkblotsx Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    I am not leaving. :)

Me either, just buying less (which my wallet appreciates ;)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited September 2012

Heh, I'm not leaving either but I would also like to give Daz heartfelt thank you from the bottom of my wallet.

I've saved SO MUCH money since you brought out Genesis.

so thank you so much once more.

PS and it makes skimming through the PA sales so much easier.....

Genesis, Genesis, Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis, M4, Genesis, Genesis, Genesis, Genesis, Genesis, Genesis, Medieval Building,
    Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis, V4, Old boat,
    Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,, K4, Hair, Hair, Hair, Hair, Hair Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis, Photobackground...

(Not meant to represent true breakdown of Daz prouducts , I got sick of typing Genesis, Genesis, :) that's all)

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Heh, I'm not leaving either but I would also like to give Daz heartfelt thank you from the bottom of my wallet.

I've saved SO MUCH money since you bought out Genesis.

Genesis, Genesis, Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis, M4, Genesis, Genesis, Genesis, Genesis, Genesis, Genesis, Medieval Building,
    Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis, V4, Old boat,
    Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,, K4, Hair, Hair, Hair, Hair, Hair Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis,Genesis, Genesis, Photobackground...

And that should tell you something about the success of Genesis. The number of Genesis items at other sites is starting to climb at an ever increasing rate.

Kendall

edited December 1969

And that should tell you something about the success of Genesis. The number of Genesis items at other sites is starting to climb at an ever increasing rate.

That's interesting. So if you can't beat them.... copy them :)

edited September 2012

head wax said:

That's interesting. So if you can't beat them.... copy them :)

It could be that Genesis is "just that good." Truthfully, if one is doing anything dealing with clothed male renders, Genesis is far and away the best choice. With Autofit and Genesis Native clothes, NOTHING outdoes Genesis Male Characters.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

And then add to that all of M4, M3, H4, H3, and Freaks wardrobe to boot.

Yeah... yer set.

edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:

Yeah... yer set.

And I'm SO waiting for Sickle/Marieah's Genesis Suit!

DROOL

Kendall

edited September 2012

It could be that Genesis is “just that good.” Truthfully, if one is doing anything dealing with clothed male renders, Genesis is far and away the best choice. With Autofit and Genesis Native clothes, NOTHING outdoes Genesis Male Characters.

Kendall

:) To be perfectly honest, I'm using Carrara 8.1 which can't use Genesis. I'm using Carrara for my illustration work. I'm not goingto screw around with Carrara Betas, and I don't have the time nor inclination to learn Daz Studio. I'm happy with M4 and K4 and V4 and will not buy a whole lot of new stuff for Genesis.

Xdresser doesn't do a bad job changeing clothes from one figure to the other.

Genesis, however, does look like a a great invention.

Hats off to Daz for Genesis. - just not my hat... :)

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:

Yeah... yer set.

And I'm SO waiting for Sickle/Marieah's Genesis Suit!

DROOL

Kendall

YEAH! WHAT HE SAID!

:D

edited December 1969

head wax said:

I've saved SO MUCH money since you brought out Genesis.

(Not meant to represent true breakdown of Daz prouducts , I got sick of typing Genesis, Genesis, :) that's all)

...yeah same here, Oh, picked up a couple items by, 3DU I didn't yet have for some reason, some shaders, and a couple cool old cars at 1.99, but that's about it.

Still haven't even used my Sept. PC coupon yet.

Think I only used one so far since the change from the original monthly voucher.

edited September 2012

Still haven’t even used my Sept. PC coupon yet.

me neither, if you find something let me know, I have just been buying crap I don't want with mine.

For the PC sales I bought Antfarm Never stuff, looks elegant.
    Some Predatron weeds - very good.

Sorry to go off topic.....

People post "Goodbye threads' because people are egocentric and want to belive that they are important.

Of course Daz thinks the same thing - only the 'they' in this case pertains to Daz and not to the person leaving....

It's a bad business model from such a good company.

edited December 1969

...have the entire "Never..." collection. Wonderful whimsical sets.

I love AntFarm's work.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

We should probably start a thread saying "Hey Daz... I'm staying" LOL
    rofl...I'll bite.

Hey Daz, you're stuck with me I'm staying! lol