is this a forum or a place where we all say goodbye? i've read the last 5 posts only things about...

Comments

• s l fs l f Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

Poser does have a manual.... but if Daz 3D had it that would be the first "bug" they got rid of in the program

lol So true. Though that would be a great pity as I seriously love having my Poser manual. It makes such a difference.

Honestly I would use Daz Studio a lot more if I had an actual complete downloadable manual - it would consume so much less time not having to search the interwebs for information I needed.
  • KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

How come no one’s demanding that DAZ include those new techniques in Studio so you can use the new figures you say won’t work?

Saying something is incompatible doesn't necessarily mean any one cares much if they become compatible. If Studio users are not asking for it I seriously doubt DAZ will even look into it and so far there has been no outcry to have it happen.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,622
    edited December 1969

Khory said:
    How come no one’s demanding that DAZ include those new techniques in Studio so you can use the new figures you say won’t work?

Saying something is incompatible doesn't necessarily mean any one cares much if they become compatible. If Studio users are not asking for it I seriously doubt DAZ will even look into it and so far there has been no outcry to have it happen.

So far I've heard complaints that Genesis doesn't work in Poser. I haven't heard hordes clamoring for GNDA or other Smith Micro figures to work in DS4.

I'm fairly sure it's a question of people wanting to render in the suite they're used to or prefer, not really of figure support.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

Khory said:

In addition, no one outside of DAZ 3D and SM knows what the licensing situation is. Dan Farr said they offered the Genesis tech to SM for free. I don't know what or if SM has offered. They obviously allowed DAZ 3D to replicate the new .cr2 tech for the purpose of the exporter (whether DAZ 3D had to pay a license fee is unknown), but that doesn't mean they also licensed it for an importer, or if DAZ 3D even asked for it.

• RorrKonnRorrKonn Posts: 509
    edited August 2012

Currently I use C4D ,Blender ,zBrush ,D/S , Gimp and I'm good.
    Another might use Max ,Mudd ,Poser .and there good.
    -
    In the future who knows what I'll be using.
    -
    1998 there was no DAZ Studio ,Modo ,zBrush ,C4D ,Maya ,3D Coat ,Mudd ect ect.
    1998 UV Maps & rigs , a lot of fun.
    -
    I like DAZ Studio and I use it.it works like C4D.I feel like D/S Pro 4 is a advancement from 1998.
    Feels like where moving forward.
    D/S has humans with a decent poly count ,Sub divided meshes ,weighted rigs ,morphs and GoZ ect ect ...
    -
    Just wanted to say I'm staying :)
    And Thanks a lot for DAS Studio Pro 4.

Ravenn

Post edited by RorrKonn on
  • RorrKonnRorrKonn Posts: 509
    edited August 2012

Maybe the big news will be that Daz 3D has bought Poser from Smith Micro so that there will no longer be any cross company conflict in developing products

oh and from now on Poser Pro 2012 will be free

Even thou DAZ has never owned Poser.
    I would guess ever bit of 90% of all Poser content sold has been for a DAZ product ,I would guess at least 80% of that's been for Vicky.

I've always called Vicky the Queen.

I don't think there would be a Poser or D/S if not for Vicky.

Vicky 5 is the first Vicky that has not worked for Poser.
    A kingdom will fall with out there Queen.

Post edited by RorrKonn on
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited August 2012

DWG said:
    What perplexes me is people have been saying they're leaving pretty much since Genesis was announced, but if anyone elsewhere creates a new figure that's incompatible with Studio, then there's a flurry of praise for their innovation. I can't help thinking DAZ have to work twice as hard to get half the praise.

Well, in all fairness, people have virtually stopped using Poser altogether because of one figure (or platform, or whatever the heck Genesis is). And as far as I know, it was DAZ's choice not to adopt some of the new rigging techniques developed by Poser. How come no one's demanding that DAZ include those new techniques in Studio so you can use the new figures you say won't work? Quid Pro Quo.

I don't use "old Poser" characters because they look like crap. I don't use "new Poser" characters because I've become spoiled with auto-fit. It just takes too much effort (in comparison) to clothe a "Poser" or Gen4 character any more. Every time I bring in V4, then morph her, the clothes all go to hell. At that point I decide that in the time it would take to just "fix" the pokethru I could have a Genesis loaded, morphed, posed, haired, clothed, positioned, and working on the next Genesis in the frame.

Why would I ask for adding more work to my day? I'd more likely ask the Poser Only character creators to create a Genesis version. But you know what? I'm not interested in causing angsty threads at Rendo or RDNA to ask for them. I'll do without rather than cause undue strife over a 3D character. Besides, it wouldn't be that hard to make a Genesis clone of just about any figure with just a few dials. Alexa is becoming a pro at that very thing.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • edited December 1969

fixme12 said:
    is this a forum or a place where we all say goodbye? i've read the last 5 posts only things about...
    i leave daz..
    i will leave daz...
    we all leave daz...
    :shut:
    and that's all because of GENESIS ? :vampire:

come on! :lol:
    I haven't left; I just got smooshed behind all the new site construction & it took me a while to free myself.:lol:

What if daz can launch us "Sssoon" a software program that we never have seen before... ?
    a program that would be 100 times better as we have and know today called iclone, poser or carrara, or...
    a program that have mixed features of all other 3d software available (iclone,poser,carrara,blender,maya, zbrush, c4d,max,...)
    some awesome character/animation/game studio .

Wouldn't you guys like to play in such kind of program?

I would like to play with such a program...but I think my family is already planning an intervention to separate me & the computer. They say I'm addicted.%-P
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

I don't use "old Poser" characters because they look like crap. I don't use "new Poser" characters because I've become spoiled with auto-fit. It just takes too much effort (in comparison) to clothe a "Poser" or Gen4 character any more. Every time I bring in V4, then morph her, the clothes all go to hell. At that point I decide that in the time it would take to just "fix" the pokethru I could have a Genesis loaded, morphed, posed, haired, clothed, positioned, and working on the next Genesis in the frame.

Poser does have Wardrobe Wizard. Like AutoFit, it can give results varying from excellent to atrocious.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

I know, seriously. I can't imagine what they were thinking with Genesis, actually making it possible to create weight-mapped man and child characters with real clothing and multi-UV support. And who needs a three-click Transfer Utility? Clothes should be slow and painful to make! What are we, pansies?

There's never a 'Like' button around when you need one!

edited December 1969

Khory said:

Exactly. The difference is market support for new figures. Without that market support, the case for pressing DAZ to adopt them is non-existent. There's a visible market demand for Genesis-Poser compatibility, but next to none for SM-Figures to Poser. I'm struggling to remember what the post Miki 3 figures are even called, which is a strong hint of how much market traction they've picked up.

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

The most issue that people moving is that the PC does not support enough of products that can be used in Poser and gen4 , it have nothing to do with DS or Genesis at last not all of them and I see why as there is not as much products as it was before dues to the vendors that spend minder time making new creation that works only with genesis ( like myself ) but I never made anything like I made now for gen4 and I still have a lot to learn to catch up with Poser 2012 as I left this software with the last Poser8 version that does not worked well for me the way as I would like . I used Poser because of the base content created by DAZ , as Poser would never leave version 4 without new content , but the complains about is like compare Victoria secret customer making announcement in public about leaving the store just because they don't sell 80's granny underwear anymore.

Bellow illustration is intend for fun and good lough , so please don't take offense
    it is graphic but maybe some of the folk will better understand the difference
    between 2 systems that does not come good together at this moment
    but the future will change the game .. give it just a little bit more time and stay positive

next time when someone complain just think about this illustration , as that is the reason why and it is true

genesis-miracle-system.jpg
    650 x 325 - 59K
  • joegerardijoegerardi Posts: 226
    edited December 1969

It's not just about Genesis...

Many of us (I'd say the overwhelming majority) are hobby users here. We get our creative juices off by making our little NVWAS, fae folk, and other renders. Many don't need to use the new stuff, but in the store, when was the last V3 item offered? For that matter, what is the percentage of V4 or M4 stuff to Genesis? probably 1 to 5, and of that ratio, how much will interest me? That means there's very little for me to buy. That's why I dropped my PC membership after 6 years- I was just laying out $7.95/month, and nothing was being purchased. Now, DAZ will state that they can only sell what the PA's create, but frankly, that's a moist, stinky pile of crap: they say they're only accepting V4, M4, V3, A3, hell, the old MGPT stuff, and that's what the modelers are going to offer.

Furthermore, Studio 4.x is atrocious to a lot of us. There's stuff we don't need/want, can't stand the ridiculous layout that deals more with how some developer needs to prove how good he is compared to a usable, simple interface, so that we stick to DS3. Factor that in and Genesis becomes more unusable. Never mind that there were bug reports in DS3 that were ignored for more than 2 years, just pissing off loyal customers while DAZ went in this new direction.

Finally, there is that idiotic "soon" issue. I know that a lot of you think it's cute, but any company that can't meet its own deadlines is going to frustrate a lot of us customers. Many save up to buy content, and then have to wait and wait, until they can't wait any more, spend what they saved, then the content is released.

I'm not one to shout about my complaints online. I don't need to say goodbye to share my pain with people. When I left the PC, I left a simple "thank you" for the help I received in that forum and unsubscribed: I couldn't even see the replies, if there were any. I prefer to speak with my wallet: I've spent probably 3-4 grand in the past 6 years, but I'd estimate that I've spent less than a hundred in 2012- there's been that little to interest me. DAZ needs to take note that it's the money people spend that decides whether they're going in the right direction: they can only count on the initial excitement expenditures to last so long. It's the long-term customer that has kept them in business, and alienating them is opt a good business model.

..Joe

edited August 2012

Finally, there is that idiotic "soon" issue. I know that a lot of you think it's cute, but any company that can't meet its own deadlines is going to frustrate a lot of us customers

My main project took 20 odd years to deliver, DAZ is quite refreshingly speedy after that ;)

Post edited by DWG on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,124
    edited August 2012

DWG said:
    Finally, there is that idiotic "soon" issue. I know that a lot of you think it's cute, but any company that can't meet its own deadlines is going to frustrate a lot of us customers

My main project took 20 odd years to deliver, DAZ is quite refreshingly speedy after that ;)

I'm not leaving Daz, never said i was. I'm just buying nothing at daz right now. Not until I can use it in poser with out a bunch of extra steps or tools to make it work like it did before everything changed, I have complained about the same thing to SM also about this divorce between Daz and SM products compatibility

Also I believe what most people are talking about is more not buying at daz store than leaving daz.
    Like for the record I spent $112 at rendo so far this month.
    I spent $0 at Daz because there is nothing i can use that I already don;t own or will work with out a bunch of extra work in poser & daz3. there are many like me waiting for things to get better in model exchange. between the 2 programs that is all. I think that is a pretty fair assumption.

Though that kind of shopping habits from others like me has got to hurt daz store and its not that we are trying to hurt daz store or its venders. But really if I can't use the product why buy it. Ive never said I didn't like the looks of the gen5 products But I'm to lazy to take all those extra steps to make, it work in poser. That and beside the fact I have hard drives full of older content that I still love and want to continue to use with out having to do this to that to make it work in here.
    But I am waiting patiently for daz to return to its former glory then maybe I'll start buying here again
    But that is just my opinion.

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited December 1969

This is just my opinion. But I might add the model artist and the daz store may fair better in sales if they were take hints from some of the model venders at renderosity.com and that is to make the product for both v4 and Genesis it may take a little extra effort but in the long run you will be rewarded for your efforts in sales from both poser and genesis users. because right now it really feels like Daz and its venders have abandon the poser user and maybe that is why there is so much fighting about content at daz store.

The Sellers at renderosity.com that are catering to both Poser and Genesis users are doing way better business than those who are only catering to one program either genesis or gen4 models. here is a very good example of what I am talking about.
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/danielle/94876
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/p3d-anouschka/94972
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/vh-danysa-for-victoria-4-genesis/90498

There many more but i think you get the point.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2012

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/alisha-for-v4-and-genesis
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/abby-for-v4-and-genesis

just for starters, could find more if I tried, but I knew of those

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited August 2012

chohole said:

I bought those a long time ago.
    Daz store is limited on gen5 and gen4 double program models

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited August 2012

chohole said:

I dunno why it double posted
    removed for double post.

well time to go to work ..
    gruel gruel grumble
    I owe I owe off to work I go

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited December 1969

Ivy said:
    the model artist and the daz store may fair better in sales if they were take hints from some of the model venders at renderosity.com and that is to make the product for both v4 and Genesis it may take a little extra effort

We've had a couple of vendors say that for clothing it's significantly more than 'a little extra effort' to duplicate an item from Genesis to Gen 4. Characters are more directly comparable, and there are a bunch of dual-targetted figures here as well as at Rendo, for instance the recently released http://www.daz3d.com/shop/addison and http://www.daz3d.com/shop/kumar

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Ivy said:
    This is just my opinion. But I might add the model artist and the daz store may fair better in sales if they were take hints from some of the model venders at renderosity.com and that is to make the product for both v4 and Genesis it may take a little extra effort but in the long run you will be rewarded for your efforts in sales from both poser and genesis users. because right now it really feels like Daz and its venders have abandon the poser user and maybe that is why there is so much fighting about content at daz store.

I'm glad you put "opinion" on this post because considering you're not actually vendoring, but it's way more than a little effort to support both for the overall return... especially if you're doing a quality job for both generations, not just one and the other as an afterthought. After all the issues and headaches of getting both gen 4 and genesis products out the door for marginal return, most of our products will be "either or", not both.

The Sellers at renderosity.com that are catering to both Poser and Genesis users are doing way better business than those who are only catering to one program either genesis or gen4 models. here is a very good example of what I am talking about.
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/danielle/94876
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/p3d-anouschka/94972
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/vh-danysa-for-victoria-4-genesis/90498

There many more but i think you get the point.

Again, only the vendors can tell you that, and a lot of it depends on what's offered. I do know that my sales haven't went down since we've been selling Genesis-only products.... and actually considering store issues, I actually made more than I did last year... surprisingly. :ohh:

edited August 2012

DWG said:
    Ivy said:
    the model artist and the daz store may fair better in sales if they were take hints from some of the model venders at renderosity.com and that is to make the product for both v4 and Genesis it may take a little extra effort

We've had a couple of vendors say that for clothing it's significantly more than 'a little extra effort' to duplicate an item from Genesis to Gen 4. Characters are more directly comparable, and there are a bunch of dual-targetted figures here as well as at Rendo, for instance the recently released http://www.daz3d.com/shop/addison and http://www.daz3d.com/shop/kumar

Thanks for repeating what I already said. :)
    Though I don't see how it would be any harder or take any more effort now to make clothing for gen4 now than it did a year ago before genesis came out. I just don't understand that thinking????

My opinion is if the artist don't want to make a dual product then that is fine & their choice there are are also artist at renderousity as well that just cater to just either poser or just to daz. same for content paradise and runtimeDNA.. But the same thing for those sites as well, if the dual program users can't use the product then they don't buy it.

BUT.... The artist that are catering to both gen5 and gen4 - Daz & Poser for within the same product package are doing much better sales for each of the products they release.( Hence you are rewarded for your extra effort with sales you would have other wised missed out on.. That is just " Logical"

Its no skin off my teeth if i don't have gen5 clothing. Or a gen5 model character to use in poser & Daz 3a I can still find great stuff to buy else where. don't you think Daz store would have liked a percentage of what I and other spent this month other places because we couldn't get it here. if you say no then you would be kidding yourself.

I also understand if you have never used any other program other than a daz program to make art, then you properly won't understand the feeling why some user are complaining about the lack of merchandise to buy at the daz store for poser

I am being optimistic here and saying hopefully soon in the future Daz and Poser will once again be able to share its content folder like it once was able to. with out having to have tools and script and jumping through hoops to use it then there won't be a issue any longer.

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited August 2012

I'm glad you put "opinion" on this post because considering you're not actually vendoring, but it's way more than a little effort to support both for the overall return... especially if you're doing a quality job for both generations, not just one and the other as an afterthought. After all the issues and headaches of getting both gen 4 and genesis products out the door for marginal return, most of our products will be "either or", not both.

what do you sell for products, Character models or Props? that would make a difference in your sales.
    Also I could not find your store and it was not listed on your profile. when did you start becoming a vender pre- Genesis or post genesis?

Have you ever made gen4 products in the past? if you did then it shouldn't be that hard for you to make a dual program program product now unless you choose not to for other reasons such as resources or time involved.
    Though I also bet if you would have made your character products(if that's what you sell) for both poser and daz your sale would have been even better That would be logical if you been reading the complaints on these threads.
    Don't hate the poser user because we are complaining of lack of compatible products . Try to understand our point of view of being a user of multiple programs.. Just like you we don't want to work harder to use a product any more than you want to work harder to produce one.

Some people are just so touchy around here.

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited August 2012

Removed for double post.

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited December 1969

Ivy said:

what do you sell for products, Character models or Props? that would make a difference in your sales.
    Also I could not find your store and it was not listed on your profile. when did you start becoming a vender pre- Genesis or post genesis? Have you ever made gen4 products in the past? if you did then it shouldn't be that hard for you to make a dual program program product now unless you choose not to for other reasons such as resources or time involved.
    Though I also bet if you would have made your character products(if that's what you sell) for both poser and daz your sale would have been even better That would be logical if you been reading the complaints on these threads.
    Don't hate the poser user because we are complaining of lack of compatible products . Try to understand our point of view of being a user of multiple programs.. Just like you we don't want to work harder to use a product any more than you want to work harder to produce one. Some people are just so touchy around here.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/catalogsearch/result/?q=male-m3dia

Kendall

edited December 1969

Ivy said:

Also I could not find your store and it was not listed on your profile. when did you start becoming a vender pre- Genesis or post genesis? Have you ever made gen4 products in the past? if you did then it shouldn't be that hard for you to make a dual program program product now unless you choose not to for other reasons such as resources or time involved.
    Don't hate the poser user because we are complaining of lack of compatible products . Try to understand our point of view of being a user of multiple programs.. Just like you we don't want to work harder to use a product any more than you want to work harder to produce one. Some people are just so touchy around here.

Kendall

Thanks Kendall for the link.
    Though I already own the v4 products on this store.:)

edited December 1969

Ivy said:
    DWG said:
    Ivy said:

Thanks for repeating what I already said. :)
    Though I don't see how it would be any harder or take any more effort now to make clothing for gen4 now than it did a year ago before genesis came out. I just don't understand that thinking????

It isn't more effort to make Gen 4 clothing than it was, it is far less effort to make Genesis clothing than it is to make Gen 4.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited August 2012

Ivy said:
    Also I could not find your store and it was not listed on your profile. when did you start becoming a vender pre- Genesis or post genesis?

I sell characters here at DAZ... so it would definitely make a difference. I started before Genesis, so I can compare my sales of pre-Genesis against afterwards, which is why after all the store issues, I still made more money than I did last year with Gen4 items.

Also, we were one of the first PAs that sold dual Gen4/Genesis in any store and did it for about five months before separating the products out to see if it impacted sales. But during that time, we had to do morphs twice, fix seams twice, do materials 5 times (Poser/DS/HSS) and make sure that all those calls weren't messed up between both versions and go through QA to verify each download. Also in some products both Gen4 and Genesis had the same face mixing capability (as we did with our first Gen4 characters), so the Gen4 morphs were injected through ExP. So these are generally larger projects than what you've previously listed. Our last product in Gen4 also included face mixing and scaling M4, something that people had been asking for with David 4.

Have you ever made gen4 products in the past? if you did then it shouldn't be that hard for you to make a dual program program product now unless you choose not to for other reasons such as resources or time involved.

Think I covered this already.

Some people are just so touchy around here. No, just more informed about some things than others ;)

Edit: Also check for characters in here as well:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/forbiddenwhispers?p=2

Seems some of the characters are missing from search like Ryuu for M4/Genesis, Abigail for V4/Genesis and Nigel for M4/Genesis.

Post edited by Male-M3dia on
    edited December 1969

Ivy said:
    Ivy said:

Kendall

Thanks Kendall for the link.
    Though I already own the v4 products on this store.:)

Ivy,
    You may want to do a bit more research. SickleYield and several other PA's have stated, in the past, how much more work supporting Gen4 characters are than Genesis. They've also discussed how little returns they get G4 vs Gn.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Ivy said:
    I also understand if you have never used any other program other than a daz program to make art, then you properly won't understand the feeling why some user are complaining about the lack of merchandise to buy at the daz store for poser

There's plenty of non-DAZ compatible stuff around, there's a whole lot of Poser Dynamic stuff I'd really like to use (I can probably import it and rig it using the Clothing Creation utility, but that's new since DS4 and I've been around since DS2 if not DS1)