DIM not installing anything

I'm trying to install DAZ Studio to a new drive and fresh Win 10 installation, but whenever I try to install anything through DIM (product or Studio itself), it immediately fails and shows a "Retry" button. Does anyone know what might be causing this? DIM is installed into its default location on drive C (boot drive). Thanks in advance.

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

I had that happen too when installing to a new PC. It started to work after I changed the install paths to custom ones.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,772

And you may check the log file in DIM, in which there should be some reminders...

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507

Ascania: I did try installing content install paths to custom ones with no luck. Maybe I need to install DIM itself into a custom path?

crosswind: Good idea, I checked the log and found some odd entries. Yesterday I got one entry that said " Cannot locate dzInstall.ini", and just now, I got "SSL Error: 11 - The issuer certificate of a locally looked up certificate could not be found :: Network Error:  : SSL handshake failed"

I...guess I'm going to try reinstalling DIM somewhere else, but otherwise I'm not sure where to go from here except trying to install Studio from a zip file and if that works, try telling DIM where it is and see if that helps it.

SnowSultan said:

Ascania: I did try installing content install paths to custom ones with no luck. Maybe I need to install DIM itself into a custom path?

crosswind: Good idea, I checked the log and found some odd entries. Yesterday I got one entry that said " Cannot locate dzInstall.ini", and just now, I got "SSL Error: 11 - The issuer certificate of a locally looked up certificate could not be found :: Network Error:  : SSL handshake failed"

I...guess I'm going to try reinstalling DIM somewhere else, but otherwise I'm not sure where to go from here except trying to install Studio from a zip file and if that works, try telling DIM where it is and see if that helps it.

I've seen quite a few people reported this SSL error recently, however, I haven't encountered such an issue... So I could only suggest you update Win 10 to latest version and re-install DIM (1.4.1.22) again... see if it's gonna work.

• Is it failing during install or download? The servers have been pretty busy with march madness, I have had a lot of failed downloads. If it is failing on install, and it's for the application or plug-ins (or other things that install "like software") are you OKing the UAC prompt asking if it is OK to make changes to the computer?

dzinstall.ini is used by the stand-alone installers to record the paths used, DIM checks for it in case you are using a mixture of methods (not advised). Since you are not using the stand alone installers there is no dzinstall.ini file, and that is the correct situation.

edited April 2023

It makes an attempt to download for about a quarter of a second and then fails. I don't think this has anything to do with DAZ's servers, this is behaving as if there's no such user or no internet connection at all. 

I installed it fresh in a new folder, no luck. This is...kinda getting to be a gigantic problem for me.

EDIT: I got Studio installed using DAZ Connect Central and now DIM is installing other content normally. Didn't end up in the directory I wanted, but it's not a huge deal since it's all going to be on the same drive now anyway.

Post edited by SnowSultan on
  • Got exactly the same problem...
    S.

• If downloads fail I was finding, after trial and swearing, that clicking the Account button in DIM and reentering the password to force a refresh helped somewhat - just retrying mostly failed instantly.

• jHuntleyjHuntley Posts: 63

I posted the same issue still havent gotten it to work no matter what I do wont in stall daz or anything

• jHuntley said:

I posted the same issue still havent gotten it to work no matter what I do wont in stall daz or anything

The issue here seems to eb downloading - is that what you are having trouble with, or is it installation after download?

edited April 2023

It's not the downloads, once I got Studio installed through Connect  Central everything else downloaded fine. All I can recommend for those still unable to install Studio itself is to use the alternate method of DAZ Central to put Studio in, then use DIM to install your content. 

Post edited by SnowSultan on
  • I'm not sure what you mean - Daz Connect is installing through Daz Studio, it can't install itself.

You're right, I mistyped.  I used DAZ Central to install Studio, then DIM started working.

• Daz Central and DIM share settings, where applicable, so I am not at all sure why that would happen - assuming it wasn't missing the UAC prompt of similar.

• Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871
    edited April 2023

Seems another user had a "similar" issue. Dec 2022. This is their thread and how they got resolved, along with their more technical theory/explanation of why it happened. Say "similar" cos just scanned your details quick. Did remind me of this one.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/609721/solved-new-pc-ds-not-installing-error#latest

Post edited by Saxa -- SD on
    edited April 2023

That OP's assumption might be correct. These workarounds are really worth trying: install a DS copy via Central or offline install the DS IM package in DIM.
    I think the SSL certificate / activation should come from a VC++ library. Both of DIM and DS packages include VC++ redistribution pack but issues may be still incurred case by case...

Post edited by crosswind on
  • prozeidonprozeidon Posts: 27
    edited April 2023

SnowSultan said:

I'm trying to install DAZ Studio to a new drive and fresh Win 10 installation, but whenever I try to install anything through DIM (product or Studio itself), it immediately fails and shows a "Retry" button. Does anyone know what might be causing this? DIM is installed into its default location on drive C (boot drive). Thanks in advance.

I was in the same situation and had the same problem.
    I solved it! This way, everything will work as it should.
    At least it works for me, so I guess it will work for others too.

**Problem**
    New harddrive with a clean version of windows 10.
    Daz Install Manager is not able to download.
    All downloads from DIM are failing.

Log:
    Error connecting to CMS - Cannot be started by client.
    Network Error: SSL handshake failed

**Solution**
    Install DazCentral. It will install DAZ Install Manager and DAZ Studio for you.
    Now it all work. Daz Install Manager can download and install again and DAZ Studio works flawlessly.
    https://www.daz3d.com/dazcentral ;

(I just saw that you had already found the solution - That's wonderful. I just summarized the solution here laugh )

Post edited by prozeidon on
  • Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871
    edited May 2023

Seems DAZ central installs what is needed.

The link i posted above found a work-around without installing DAZ central. Instead used old files from other install.

My 1st impression, which by be wrong, or right, is that DAZ Central is needed to get their DIM to work.  One guessing assessment might be that requiring DAZ central first is a way of spreading that feature more.  Or just a DIM oversight.  At least no trial of required advertisements  (looking at you Win11 OS as Win10 support deadline announced this week which of course DS users need to use if not on MAC).

Post edited by Saxa -- SD on
  • edited May 2023

Same problem with Win 11, and I can't find Daz Central just link to DIM which just does retry and wont install anything

Post edited by michaelxm_a1dddd836b on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Richard Haseltine said:

If downloads fail I was finding, after trial and swearing, that clicking the Account button in DIM and reentering the password to force a refresh helped somewhat - just retrying mostly failed instantly.

I had trouble getting products downloaded and this helped out a LOT! Thank you so much, Richard! Clicking the user name in the upper right in DIM and then just clicking "start" again seems to do a nice refresh and helps it to cooperate and start downloading content again.

• cgidesigncgidesign Posts: 433

Update to my old thread:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/609721/solved-new-pc-ds-not-installing-error#latest

I made a TICKET on 12.16.2022 -- on 05.16.2023 (five month later) they posted a potential workaround

Possible workaround:

1. Make sure DIM is closed
    2. Download and install the file from the link below: https://certs.godaddy.com/repository/gdig2.crt
    3. Restart DIM and try to install again.

I did not try it because I found my own workaround mentioned in the above linked thread - but maybe it helps others.

• cgidesign said:

Update to my old thread:

I made a TICKET on 12.16.2022 -- on 05.16.2023 (five month later) they posted a potential workaround

Possible workaround:

2. Download and install the file from the link below: https://certs.godaddy.com/repository/gdig2.crt

I did not try it because I found my own workaround mentioned in the above linked thread - but maybe it helps others.

This fix is being integrated into Install Manager, we are told, though some details of the method are still being reviewed to determine which approach is best for users.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,825

cgidesign said:

Update to my old thread:

Possible workaround:

THANKYOU heart

got my PC back from the repair shop today and have been trying all sorts of crap to get DIM to download stuff and finally found this and it worked

• AlfawulfAlfawulf Posts: 174

Same.

New Rig. No Daz...

I get tired of these woods after a while...

• AlfawulfAlfawulf Posts: 174

Richard Haseltine said:

cgidesign said:

Update to my old thread:

Possible workaround:

This fix is being integrated into Install Manager, we are told, though some details of the method are still being reviewed to determine which approach is best for users.

Worked!!

Thanx SO much!!

• FluxFlux Posts: 17

Is there another solution/workaround that doesn't require installing a security certificate from an unknown publisher?

cert.png
    466 x 344 - 16K
  • As I said in response to your other post, GoDaddy is far from unknown - it is a very big company in the fields of hosting, domain allocation, and certification. That said, I am surrpised that they would not sign their own tools.

• I am having the same SSL errors and it seems DazCentral is no longer available. Did someone find a solution ?

• Does the workaround also work on Mac? This could be related to the "RETRY" issue I;m currently having.