Show Us Your Iray Renders. Part III

Comments

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

3doutlaw said:
    3doutlaw said:
    Is it possible to show a HDRI background applied to the Iray dome in the setup area? I want to rotate it to a certain point, but I have to keep guessing and rendering.

Did this question get lost in the other discussion? Anyone?

As a side note, for my first complete Iray render, at 99% it succeeded in overheating my laptop and shut it down spontaneously. Soooo...if you could add a "Low Heat" option to the menu....that'd be great.

(yes, I forgot to have my cooling fan running)

I looked for a remnant render laying around after reboot, but found nothing.

Hi 3doutlaw, Kyoto kid mentioned above in a post that you need to change the view in your window from texture shaded to nvidea iray but when you shange camera angles etc it will be slower to update

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

That looks really, really good, Kyoto.

The posts to the upper right make me think your Dome scaling might be off, but otherwise, perfection.

..thank you. Yeah mainly wanted to focus on the shaders for the car.
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

The posts to the upper right make me think your Dome scaling might be off, but otherwise, perfection.

My image seems much brighter than yours is, is that simply because of the different angle of the hdri or did you do some changes to the light settings? I just randomly dialed the rotation of the hdri and left it there, wasn't really sure where the sunlight was coming from if at all . Your car looks really good, thanks for your help with mine

edited May 2015

...didn't use the same angle. Again mainly just wanted to deal with the car
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • BlantyrBlantyr Posts: 90
    edited December 1969

I also just worked a hot curvy thing, but I added a girl as well. Guess where?

Kennie.jpg
    814 x 1318 - 602K
    edited May 2015

Kharma said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

My image seems much brighter than yours is, is that simply because of the different angle of the hdri or did you do some changes to the light settings? I just randomly dialed the rotation of the hdri and left it there, wasn't really sure where the sunlight was coming from if at all . Your car looks really good, thanks for your help with mine
    ...I adjusted the tone mapping to come as close as I could to Kodachrome 64 which was my favourite for outdoor photography (no longer available).

Exposure rate: 1/60th
    fstop: 11
    ISO: 64
    Saturation 1.1 (colour saturation was a bit richer for K-64 compared to Gold 100 & 200).

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kharma said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

...I adjusted the tone mapping to come as close as I could to Kodachrome 64 which was my favourite for outdoor photography (no longer available).

Exposure rate: 1/60th
    fstop: 11
    ISO: 64
    Saturation 1.2 (colour saturation was a bit richer for K-64 compared to Gold 100 & 200).

oh ok , I haven't ventured into that tab yet, will keep playing with what I got so far and reading for a bit

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878
    edited December 1969

Since this is mildly risque (there's a very mild curse word and anatomy, but no actual nudity), I'll keep it as a link:

http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Heroine-Problems-532870241

This was inspired by commentary about superhero comics and their frequent defiance of basic physics...

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

Kharma/Kyoto Kid, thank you!! :)

• DAZ_VinceDAZ_Vince Posts: 114
    edited December 1969

Hi everyone, I thought I'd throw in a couple links to clarify a few questions that have come up...

As far as hardware and Iray render speed, I put a doc up on the Knowledge Base that should be helpful:
    https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/67520170-System-Recommendations-for-DAZ-Studio-4-

I've also put together a quick video on the Ghost renders and how I use Iray interactive as well as tips on using the Bloom effect:
    The audio strobes a little at the beginning but it does eventually stabilize: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPfZbZTPL3U

Here are the warehouse and bloom duf files: https://app.box.com/s/d2nvm72clq3t7xw1jk6wj7tar7dsicjg

Looking forward to more car renders!

greenghost.PNG
    744 x 510 - 830K
  • StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,160
    edited December 1969

Cool, thanks for the duf Vince

here's one I did overnight, rendered at 6k ,again using the muscle car from Bazze and one of my mechs

004747.jpg
    2000 x 1025 - 416K
    edited May 2015

DAZ_Vince said:
    Hi everyone, I thought I'd throw in a couple links to clarify a few questions that have come up...

As far as hardware and Iray render speed, I put a doc up on the Knowledge Base that should be helpful:
    https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/67520170-System-Recommendations-for-DAZ-Studio-4-

I've also put together a quick video on the Ghost renders and how I use Iray interactive as well as tips on using the Bloom effect:
    The audio strobes a little at the beginning but it does eventually stabilize: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPfZbZTPL3U

Here are the warehouse and bloom duf files: https://app.box.com/s/d2nvm72clq3t7xw1jk6wj7tar7dsicjg

...sent PM so as to not derail thread.
    edited December 1969

Cool, thanks for the duf Vince

here's one I did overnight, rendered at 6k ,again using the muscle car from Bazze and one of my mechs

...nice, love the colour coordination.
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited December 1969

MEC4D said:
    ...so we can have big conversation that go nowhere unless we all are more specific what we doing and present to the forum ...

Not trying to derail the topic. It's simply that I, and I'm sure some others, learn a lot from comparing different implementations of a technology (such as PBR) as it points out strengths and weaknesses of each and tends to promote questions that give a fuller understanding of what is going on under the hood. Of course there is a point of diminishing returns where things can go astray but don't think that precludes looking at other implementations. Also, each of the presentations discuss general PBR concepts.

How many people have looked at Aligorithemic's or Marmoset's presentations on PBR? Just more grist for the mill at the moment when finding decent information can be challenging. If it doesn't help someone, they can skip it.

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

It was not towards you in any mean, I was talking in general
    I follow any source of PBR info not from today and it is important to know what's going on and what it is about before everyone jump into carousel of doing stuff the other way hoping it will looking good ..
    so keep posting links as well I am checking them all, most of them I saw already .. but others may find interesting

Gedd said:
    MEC4D said:
    ...so we can have big conversation that go nowhere unless we all are more specific what we doing and present to the forum ...

Not trying to derail the topic. It's simply that I, and I'm sure some others, learn a lot from comparing different implementations of a technology (such as PBR) as it points out strengths and weaknesses of each and tends to promote questions that give a fuller understanding of what is going on under the hood. Of course there is a point of diminishing returns where things can go astray but don't think that precludes looking at other implementations. Also, each of the presentations discuss general PBR concepts.

How many people have looked at Aligorithemic's or Marmoset's presentations on PBR? Just more grist for the mill at the moment when finding decent information can be challenging. If it doesn't help someone, they can skip it.

edited December 1969

hey has anyone done a good snow material yet?..or any advice on what I should look for when making one?

Cheers

• NoName99NoName99 Posts: 322
    edited December 1969

DAZ_Vince said:

Cool video, I've been using that same WoF HDRI for a few months and I agree it that it does work really well.

Is there a way to see how large a scene is, I'm terms of memory, before rendering? As in will the size of the scene fit in your graphics card.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878
    edited December 1969

My webcomic updated...

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,626
    edited December 1969

hey has anyone done a good snow material yet?..or any advice on what I should look for when making one?

Cheers

Not yet! If I come up with one that looks decent I'll make sure you are the first to know! I would think if you wanted one purely procedural a combo of diffuse roughness and top coat roughness might be profitable, maybe metallic flakes in white if you wanted that crunchy "snowed two days ago" look.

edited May 2015

Here's a proposed mapless snow shader based on the weighted model, using backscattering and metallic flakes (view the image full size to see the flakes more clearly). Anyone may use or modify it.

Here is the dropbox link.

Snowdemo.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 533K
    Post edited by SickleYield on
  • jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    edited December 1969

Cheers

I'd start with an Iray > Liquids > Water Dispersive (yay! comes with a time cost).

This will kick start your snow materials.;-P

PS. It might be tempting, but, please don't use snow materials on those nice cars.

snow_settings.PNG
    1247 x 665 - 490K
  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

The glossy color for snow is 0.88 0.88 0.88 not 1 ;)

jag11 said:

Cheers

I'd start with an Iray > Liquids > Water Dispersive (yay! comes with a time cost).

PS. It might be tempting, but, please don't use snow materials on those nice cars.

edited December 1969

jag11 said:

Cheers

that looks pretty good ,will use that to start with,thanks

Sickleyield,maybe just the render but that looks a bit flat to me
    I'm guessing metal flakes will be a good option to get those nice tiny highlights that snow has

Cheers
    Stefan

& thanks Mec for glossy tip! :)

edited December 1969

jag11 said:

Cheers

I'm guessing metal flakes will be a good option to get those nice tiny highlights that snow has

Cheers
    Stefan

Well, by all means, try Jag11's. ;) They've already got a better grasp on the shaders than I have.

edited December 1969

jag11 said:

Cheers

Cheers
    Stefan

Well, by all means, try Jag11's. ;) They've already got a better grasp on the shaders than I have.

must say though ,your Deviant art tutorials have been very helpful, keep them coming please!

• pearbearpearbear Posts: 227
    edited December 1969

Trying out another variety of homemade athletic G2F morph. It's lit with the free DAZ HDRI and an additional far away spotlight for the golden edge lighting. I rendered with "Draw Dome" turned off so that I could layer in a nice sky photo in the background in Photoshop, since the free DAZ HDRI is fantastic for lighting but not very pretty as a sky backdrop.

Also some lovely Jack Tomalin/DAZ Originals buildings softened by the SSS fog trick for the background.

fantasy01.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 551K
  • macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

Can anyone tell me how I get the Iray Render settings to stick between sessions?

My main issue is Optimisation> Speed. Every time I re-open 4.8, this has been reset to Optimisation> Memory. Render size sticks ok, but not other settings (for example, Ground Color, which I have to keep restting to white).

I suppose I could save a scene and add it to Startup, but I don't really want to do that.

Btw, I'm using the very first 4.8 beta. Has this maybe been fixed in later builds?

mac

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,982
    edited December 1969

maclean said:
    Can anyone tell me how I get the Iray Render settings to stick between sessions?

My main issue is Optimisation> Speed. Every time I re-open 4.8, this has been reset to Optimisation> Memory. Render size sticks ok, but not other settings (for example, Ground Color, which I have to keep restting to white).

I suppose I could save a scene and add it to Startup, but I don't really want to do that.

Btw, I'm using the very first 4.8 beta. Has this maybe been fixed in later builds?

mac

Optmisation--> Speed is the default setting in the current beta version.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

lee_lhs said:
    maclean said:

mac

Optmisation--> Speed is the default setting in the current beta version.

Ahhh.. that's good to know.

Do settings like Ground Color stay at the last used value?

mac

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,982
    edited December 1969

No, when you close DS and re-open it, the settings will return to default.
    But when you save a scene, the settings will save as you did them.

This discussion has been closed.