Show Us Your Iray Renders. Part III

Comments

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Cool, thanks for the duf Vince

here's one I did overnight, rendered at 6k ,again using the muscle car from Bazze and one of my mechs

That is awesome, love the color on the car, and that car.. managed to track it down on the web..

I am now ready to race you from one end of the Urban Sprawl to the other ;-)

musclecar.jpg
    1014 x 626 - 382K
  • KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

You can save a start up scene that loads automatically with what ever you think of as the ideal start settings.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

Not sure if there is a way to import/add them (I asked in the Beta thread), but if there is, it would be a good idea to compile locations for free MDL shaders being created on the web, such as:

http://www.migenius.com/articles/mdl-diamonds
    http://www.migenius.com/articles/procedurally-retro-with-mdl
    https://forum.nvidia-arc.com/showthread.php?13355-Material-Definition-Language-examples-for-automotive

...or was this already brought up, or a place to already do this? (I am about 226 pages late to the party)

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,161
    edited December 1969

3doutlaw said:
    Not sure if there is a way to import/add them (I asked in the Beta thread), but if there is, it would be a good idea to compile locations for free MDL shaders being created on the web, such as:

https://forum.nvidia-arc.com/showthread.php?13355-Material-Definition-Language-examples-for-automotive

...or was this already brought up, or a place to already do this? (I am about 226 pages late to the party)

you can drag and drop mdl's into shader mixer

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    edited December 1969

3doutlaw said:

...don't forget to add your MDL folder location under Shader Mixer tab, Edit menú, MDL Directory Manager...

If you don't already have this NVIDIA's Material Definition Language: Handbook add it to your favs.

• rovrov Posts: 46
    edited December 1969

Seems that cars are popular lately. Took the advice from Vince on bloom and placed the chopper in the Old Industrial Hall. Great HDRI for cars and bikes with lots of nice reflections.

chopper-only.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 543K
  • DAZ_VinceDAZ_Vince Posts: 114
    edited December 1969

rov said:
    Seems that cars are popular lately. Took the advice from Vince on bloom and placed the chopper in the Old Industrial Hall. Great HDRI for cars and bikes with lots of nice reflections.

Love it!

edited December 1969

Here is a quick video on how to use Shader Mixer with MDL and AXF files. Again sorry for the poor audio, my wireless headset is acting up... I'll be making new recording for the docs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWwZtzu98ac

carbonmixer.png
    1308 x 854 - 422K
    edited December 1969

jag11 said:
    3doutlaw said:

...don't forget to add your MDL folder location under Shader Mixer tab, Edit menú, MDL Directory Manager...

If you don't already have this NVIDIA's Material Definition Language: Handbook add it to your favs.

If you grab the Automotive catalog, you can just drop it in "Install location"/DAZStudio4xx/shaders/iray/automotive_catalog and it should work...

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

DAZ_Vince said:
    Here is a quick video on how to use Shader Mixer with MDL and AXF files. Again sorry for the poor audio, my wireless headset is acting up... I'll be making new recording for the docs...

Thanks very much, Vince!

• Arnold CArnold C Posts: 740
    edited December 1969

8eos8 said:

But I don't see why those two parameters would need to sum to 1 anyway to be physically correct, they're controlling separate layers of the material. I'm sure the renderer internally is keeping track of how much light is being transmitted by the top coat before reaching the glossy layer, we don't need to do that ourselves. (I didn't realize before you were talking about those two, I thought you meant things like controlling the amount of light reflected vs. diffused, which is automatically taken care of by any PBR renderer)

My english isn't very well for explaining technical terms, so I do as best and simple as I can.
    As far as I understand that technobabble, it's because PBR uses linear extrapolation for it's calculations. The key is "linear", so a value between 0.0 to 1.0. In a linear workflow, no value can be greater than 1.0.

What I noticed is that almost everyone sees the different layers of a shader as a completely independent item, instead of just being a part of the whole. Let's look at skin. Some, as MEC4D and Alex, define the Base/Glossy Layer as the epidermis, and the Translucency Channel of it simulates the underlying dermis. The Top Coat simulates the oily film on top of the epidermis. All together they make what we call "skin". Each of them has a certain level of influence on the interaction with light.

The weights of the layers define the level of influence each layer has, and alltogether they have an influence of 100%, which is 1.0 in linear. A value grater than 1.0 will make your stuff non-linear, f.e. it happens, that your skin reflects and backscatters a larger amount of light than it receives. Which is a physical impossibility.

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

That is all correct Stefan, Iray Tone mapping will reduce the overall exposure if the diffuse reflect more light than it suppose but it affect everything else , the translucent can kill the diffuse and the glossy can kill the translucent if the values extend the norm .
    There is a simple formula for everything to keep in balance rather than doing it for the eye .. it will not working for more than just one image you do at the moment .. changing each time you materials to match your scene has nothing to do with PBR , as it should working in all light conditions , anything else is a BRO-SCIENCE lol

The weights of the layers define the level of influence each layer has, and alltogether they have an influence of 100%, which is 1.0 in linear. A value grater than 1.0 will make your stuff non-linear, f.e. it happens, that your skin reflects and backscatters a larger amount of light than it receives. Which is a physical impossibility.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

A value grater than 1.0 will make your stuff non-linear, f.e. it happens, that your skin reflects and backscatters a larger amount of light than it receives. Which is a physical impossibility.

From an artistic viewpoint, there may be times you would want to violate that physical 'law'. Bio-luminescence, fantasy, alien, spirit/ghost and things like that are all candidates for pushing 'beyond' the hard rules of 'real' materials.

So unless you are doing a ghostly alien jellyfish or something similar (an Organian, for example...), it's not what you want.

• DAZ_cjonesDAZ_cjones Posts: 637
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    A value grater than 1.0 will make your stuff non-linear, f.e. it happens, that your skin reflects and backscatters a larger amount of light than it receives. Which is a physical impossibility.

From an artistic viewpoint, there may be times you would want to violate that physical 'law'. Bio-luminescence, fantasy, alien, spirit/ghost and things like that are all candidates for pushing 'beyond' the hard rules of 'real' materials.

So unless you are doing a ghostly alien jellyfish or something similar (an Organian, for example...), it's not what you want.

Iray clamps all the mixes/layers to be between 0 and 1. Breaking the limits to pass values outside those ranges will have no effect.

Bio-luminescence can be done with emission as can many fantasy/sci-fi effects.

Ghosts are probably harder to pull off, I haven't figured that one out yet but I haven't tried very hard either -- perhaps done best in post.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Iray clamps all the mixes/layers to be between 0 and 1. Breaking the limits to pass values outside those ranges will have no effect.

Ghosts are probably harder to pull off, I haven't figured that one out yet but I haven't tried very hard either -- perhaps done best in post.

We'd need something like PWGhost that culls the interior of the figure details. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before we're seeing some fancier custom shaders for Iray like we have for 3Delight.

edited December 1969

Lol for spirit/ghost and Bio-luminescence you have emission shaders , aliens are organic too
    fantasy or not, it will look more realistic even for fantasy if it is done correctly, as nobody want see burned color surface renders anymore , it was good for 17 years ago , so no , bad excuse

and if I see fantasy Alien render , I WANT TO BELIEVE lol what I see for my eyes pleasure ..
    and it has not much to do with using real materials here , just in balance with the light and camera

mjc1016 said:

• sheedee3Dsheedee3D Posts: 214
    edited May 2015

Finally managed to get the eyes looking good after following all the advice and tips...thx guys!...

Lit by only one mesh light

view at full resolution

Untitled.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 295K
    Post edited by sheedee3D on
    edited December 1969

sheedee3D said:
    Finally managed to get the eyes looking good after following all the advice and tips...thx guys!...

Those skin and eyes do look very nice!

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,251
    edited December 1969

I went through Ptrope’s TOS bridge scene and made all the screens, buttons and alerts light emitting surfaces. I also applied leather, rubber, plastic and metallic shaders to the other non-lighting surfaces. The scene file is uploaded there in the gallery, so as long as you have Ptrope’s set and the Beta you can use this however you want.

Whatever camera you use to render, make sure the headlamp is turned off.

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/69131/

iraybridge.png
    2000 x 1125 - 4M
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

We'd need something like PWGhost that culls the interior of the figure details. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before we're seeing some fancier custom shaders for Iray like we have for 3Delight.

I'm not sure. if there's a way to get the eye vector and the normal vector you might be able to hook the dot product up to hide back-facing surfaces, but I'm not sure how you'd hide layered front-facing surfaces (if it could be done it might help with the Geometry Shell issue).

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

I'm not sure. if there's a way to get the eye vector and the normal vector you might be able to hook the dot product up to hide back-facing surfaces, but I'm not sure how you'd hide layered front-facing surfaces (if it could be done it might help with the Geometry Shell issue).

I did not understand that at all, but hopefully it made sense to the right people. ;)

• NoName99NoName99 Posts: 322
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Rendering out a character to an alpha channel separate from the remainder of the scene, and compositing it back in post using blending modes, opacity, and some blur can get some nice looking ghosts, spirits, undead souls and other random spooky-ness

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited May 2015

We'd need something like PWGhost...

Fresnel, mixed with opacity/translucency, combined with an emissive shader. That's where I'd start playing, but can't test it as have been on road and don't have DAZ/Iray capable computer atm.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited December 1969

sheedee3D said:

view at full resolution

...the skin tones and eye reflection are very nice.
    edited December 1969

TimG said:
    I went through Ptrope’s TOS bridge scene and made all the screens, buttons and alerts light emitting surfaces. I also applied leather, rubber, plastic and metallic shaders to the other non-lighting surfaces. The scene file is uploaded there in the gallery, so as long as you have Ptrope’s set and the Beta you can use this however you want.

Whatever camera you use to render, make sure the headlamp is turned off.

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/69131/

..that looks really great, I can almost hear the sounds.
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

DAZ_Vince said:

Thank you

edited December 1969

...I look at that and it appears a tangled mess to me. Wish they would have set it up more like Carrara's shader room.

edited December 1969

The closer to ghost I got that but I guess not special enough, simple fast rendering emissive will not work as different density of the object polygons create different light effect intensity beside you want glowing nipples

mjc1016 said:

ghost.jpg
    811 x 910 - 205K
    edited December 1969

Oooh, cool! Sell me that. ;)

edited December 1969

you can't have to much light in the room or outside scenes will not works and you need to slide the back scattering roughness higher to diffuse the light but in a atmospheric room with some candles working cool ..

Oooh, cool! Sell me that. ;)
    ghost2.jpg
    528 x 796 - 224K
    ghost1.jpg
    528 x 796 - 259K
    ghostgray3.jpg
    811 x 910 - 267K
    ghostgreen.jpg
    811 x 910 - 217K
    ghostgray2.jpg
    811 x 910 - 207K
This discussion has been closed.