Genesis 9 clothing questions & answers

Comments

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,253

What FBMs and other shape morphs are we supposed to support for Genesis 9?

• MadaMada Posts: 1,871

For commercial products? As a minimum the ones included in this product : https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-9-body-shapes

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,226

@Mada, can you explain how/when/why to use the Adjust Eye Rigging in the G9 Dev Tools?

@barbult I don't really work with characters so that's a question better answered by a character maker :)

Mada said:

@barbult I don't really work with characters so that's a question better answered by a character maker :)

OK, I think maybe you told me that once before. blush I don't mean to be a pest.

barbult said:

Mada said:

OK, I think maybe you told me that once before. blush I don't mean to be a pest.

oh no problem at all - I'll see if I can point a character maker to this thread laugh

• ChangelingChickChangelingChick Posts: 3,047

The eye rigging script is for if you've made a custom head shape and need to rig it. Because the eyes are a separate geometry it can be a little problematic. Once you've done your rigging elsewise, run that to finalize the correct rigging on the head shape.

• bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 1,861

I can do that. Short answer is, unless you're creating custom head morphs, don't use that at all. It's to get the eye bones in the right place. Specifally Left/Right Eye and Left/Right Eyelid Lower/Upper. So 6 bones in total. I found a specific procedure needs to be followed with this or it won't work right. I can certainly try to explain but this is has nothing to do with clothing though? 

bluejaunte said:

I can do that. Short answer is, unless you're creating custom head morphs, don't use that at all. It's to get the eye bones in the right place. Specifally Left/Right Eye and Left/Right Eyelid Lower/Upper. So 6 bones in total. I found a specific procedure needs to be followed with this or it won't work right. I can certainly try to explain but this is has nothing to do with clothing though? 

Please go ahead :) Its all G9 stuff

• bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 1,861

ChangelingChick said:

The eye rigging script is for if you've made a custom head shape and need to rig it. Because the eyes are a separate geometry it can be a little problematic. Once you've done your rigging elsewise, run that to finalize the correct rigging on the head shape.

Saw that only after I posted. So maybe I'm just doing it wrong but in my experience that is exactly what doesn't work. I have to do it before or else the joints end up somewhere below the eyes for some reason. As a result I then have to deselect those 6 bones in "Adjust Rigging to Shape" as to not overwrite what the script did.

That's really weird. I've personally done it both first and last and not had a problem with it. I actually do it before I adjust the eye geometry too because it can help pop them into place correctly. But the official word I was given was that it was meant to be used last, so you'd need to bake your transforms before running it so you don't end up with duplicate formulas.

Thank you ChangelingChick and bluejaunte, but I am still not clear on the order to do things. Is there an official reference with instructions? Im not a PA, I just like to learn things and make my own character shapes for personal use.

No, there isn't.

ChangelingChick said:

No, there isn't.

sad Daz spends so much time making interesting tools, but doesn't tell users how to use them. It makes me sad.

It wasn't intended as a tool for users. That's why it's under dev tools. To be specific, there is not end user available documentation at this time. But this is the procedure:

1. Make your head shape
    2. Use the Adjust Rigging to Shape. For a head, ONLY select the Neck 1 and Children bones to adjust and ONLY select the Head as Influencing. Be sure that the *only* active morph is the one you've made. If you intend to have the Base Feminine or Masculine heads ERC'd in, do NOT have those active. They already have rigging in them. Uncheck the following bones: 
      • Right Eye
      • Left Eye
      • Left Eyelid Upper
      • Left Eyelid Lower
      • Right Eye
      • Right Eyelid Upper
      • Right Eyelid Lower
    3. Put your parameters in Edit mode, and select your morph. 
    4. Use Adjust Eye Rigging

The morph will have all of the bone adjustments you've made thus far and the eye adjustments ERC'd in. 

Overall, you can skip the tool unless you have a particularly extreme headshape and just use the typical adjust rigging to shape. You'll just have to ERC freeze the adjustments yourself. It saves maybe 15 seconds.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086

Thank you @ChangelingChick for your informative responses.  Thank you, @Barbult for your curiosity.  Thank you, @Mada, for this terrific thread.

@ChangelingChick thank you so much for sharing your procedure! People like you and Mada make my Daz life so much better. heartsmileyyes

Look! I think ChangelingChick's procedure worked great. I made this stupid head morph with Mesh Grabber. I just flattened the forehead and lowered the whole eye area for a test. I applied the saved morph to JS Fanny. Here is a comparison of the morphed and unmorphed character.

G9 Flat Forehead Low Eyes_Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
    JS Fanny.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,253

ChangelingChick said:

It wasn't intended as a tool for users. That's why it's under dev tools. To be specific, there is not end user available documentation at this time. But this is the procedure:

1. Make your head shape
    2. Use the Adjust Rigging to Shape. For a head, ONLY select the Neck 1 and Children bones to adjust and ONLY select the Head as Influencing. Be sure that the *only* active morph is the one you've made. If you intend to have the Base Feminine or Masculine heads ERC'd in, do NOT have those active. They already have rigging in them. Uncheck the following bones: 
      • Right Eye
      • Left Eye
      • Left Eyelid Upper
      • Left Eyelid Lower
      • Right Eye
      • Right Eyelid Upper
      • Right Eyelid Lower
    3. Put your parameters in Edit mode, and select your morph. 
    4. Use Adjust Eye Rigging

The morph will have all of the bone adjustments you've made thus far and the eye adjustments ERC'd in. 

Overall, you can skip the tool unless you have a particularly extreme headshape and just use the typical adjust rigging to shape. You'll just have to ERC freeze the adjustments yourself. It saves maybe 15 seconds.

Will have to save this as I have def not been doing some of this, ive just been 'adjust rigging to shape'-ing the bones and calling it a day

Generally an adjust rigging to shape will work. There just can be some weirdness since the eyes are separate geometry. 

@barbult what I do to test the rigging is select an eye and do twist on it. If the pupil stays in place and the eye just spins around it, you got it right :D

OK, I'll try that. Thanks.

I tried the eye twirl test and it passed. That is a great testing tip.

I've been frustrated for a long time that the G9 Dev Tools v0.3 "Save Current Pane Info" step never works. Today I discovered that it is controlled by an unencrypted script !G9 Dev Tools.dsa. So I took a look at it. I can see that the Windows registry entry in which it stores the pane size and position is not the same as the registry entry from which it reads the pane size and position. I don't see how that is ever going to work. So I changed the script to use the same registry entry for read and write. Now the "Save Current Pane Info" works.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,811

barbult said:

I've been frustrated for a long time that the G9 Dev Tools v0.3 "Save Current Pane Info" step never works. Today I discovered that it is controlled by an unencrypted script !G9 Dev Tools.dsa. So I took a look at it. I can see that the Windows registry entry in which it stores the pane size and position is not the same as the registry entry from which it reads the pane size and position. I don't see how that is ever going to work. So I changed the script to use the same registry entry for read and write. Now the "Save Current Pane Info" works.

You mean just keep them as the same:  'DzTools/G9DevTools' or 'DzTools/EssentialDevTools' ?  So I wonder if it was coded intentionally or just a little bug...

crosswind said:

barbult said:

You mean just keep them as the same:  'DzTools/G9DevTools' or 'DzTools/EssentialDevTools' ?  So I wonder if it was coded intentionally or just a little bug...

Yes, I chose to use 'DzTools/G9DevTools'.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,811

barbult said:

crosswind said:

barbult said:

Yes, I chose to use 'DzTools/G9DevTools'.

Okay, I did the same and it works now. Thanks a lot! yes 

You are welcome. I suppose I should submit a ticket.

Thank you! :)

Mada said:

Thank you! :)

I submitted a ticket this morning. Maybe some day there will be an official fix. 

edited May 2023

It will require updating Genesis 9 Essentials which is a large download, so chances are it won't be updated for just this issue - but combined with other fixes its higly likely it will.

Post edited by Mada on