Genesis 9 single UV?

I decided to try and learn about the single UV option that Genesis 9 has in order to perhaps get it to Zbrush for polypainting, but I can't really figure it out. There are options for 'default UVs' and 'unique' UVs, but I don't see any difference when applying them to the figure, and I also can't find any textures that actually use the single UV. Is there a video or tutorial on this available anywhere? I searched for that as well, but didn't come across anything. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,253
    edited March 2023

The single UDIM UV set is what you apply to all Surfaces before you export your Gen9 figure from Daz Studio.

Then in whatever program you use, you will see that the figure is no longer split across different UDIMs, which means:

1. You can paint the figure in texture painting softwares that dont support multiple UDIMs (e.g., what Substance Painter used to be like)

2. You can bake textures in one step for softwares that dont support baking to multiple UDIMs in single step (e.g., xNormal, or R3DS Wrap)

After baking to single UDIM, you can split out the single textutre map into multiple texture maps (to be used for the standard multiple UDIMs UV set) by using the built-in option for this (found in Parameters>Utilities>Dev Tools) or do it manually.

i dont trust Daz Studio's ability to manipulate images in a lossless way, so I just split up the texture manually myself. (Can the Dev Tool splitter even split up .exr files?). The four main surfaces (Head, Body, Arms, Legs) are situated in the corners of the single UDIM UV arrangement, so splitting is easy by just splitting out the four quadrants in Photoshop

Note:  The toenails and fingernails are placed in a really weird way on Daz's single UDIM UV set, so I generally just make my own Single UDIM UV set after exporting from Daz. I do that in Blender's UV Editor, before going to other software where i need single UDIM. 

Post edited by lilweep on
  • SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,508

Thank you very much for explaining. I assume that if you do create a single UDIM texture map for Genesis 9, it can be applied to a Genesis 9 figure in Studio just like a multi-UDIM can? I was thinking it could be useful for reducing texture size on background figures or those in a crowd, but I would still intend to render it in Studio.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,253

SnowSultan said:

Thank you very much for explaining. I assume that if you do create a single UDIM texture map for Genesis 9, it can be applied to a Genesis 9 figure in Studio just like a multi-UDIM can? I was thinking it could be useful for reducing texture size on background figures or those in a crowd, but I would still intend to render it in Studio.

Yes Daz Studio will map the applied textures based on the UV Set used on that surface. Besides the default UV options, you can basically upload any custom random UV Set you can think of, and set the surfaces to use that UV, then that will define how the textures in Daz Studio are mapped. 

Regarding your point about saving resources for background assets... To clarify, for the following UV Sets:

• Multile UDIM UV Set - each body surface is on a separate UDIM tile (e.g., head is on 1001, body is on 1002 etc), and therefore each body part requires its own separate texture map relating to the separate UDIM tiles.
    • Single UDIM UV Set- all body surface are mapped within one UDIM tile (e.g., all the mapped geometry for the head, body, legs, arms, nails are all on 1001) and therefore the whole character can just have one texture map.

From that, it doesnt immediately follow that you could save any resources at render time by using single vs multiple UDIM uv set, because the only thing that matters at render time is the texture dimensions and bit depth of textures used.  So if you have a single 8k texture (which is equivalent to 4 x 4k textures), then you will not save much resources vs using the multi UDIM UV set with 4k texures on each independent body surfaces and 2k for the nails (as that would be 4 x 4k for body + 2k for the nails).  If you want to save resources, basically just use textures with smaller dimensions.