Carrara 8.5 Pro BETA - version 8.5.1.19, Now Available! (UPDATED)

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

..I. usually get a "failed to load" error myself.

• PschelfhPschelfh Posts: 261
    edited December 1969

Will the official release install over this one? Or is it a seperate install?

I don't want to re-install my content twice.

Peter.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

I presume it will overwrite, but even if it doesn't, I don't see how there would be a requirement to reinstall content - Stuff from the Daz store will get picked up automatically by DIM, stuff from other stores (or manually installed) will get picked up as soon as you tell it where the runtimes are. Native content will presumably be downloaded as part of the installer, but even if it isn't, worst case it's just a drag and drop from the old app folder.

• PschelfhPschelfh Posts: 261
    edited December 1969

I have the Carrara browser setup as in this video, I think it's only possible from within Carrara. So I'm afraid I will have to setup all this again when Carrara installs over the one I already have and places everything in the default locations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDOhvFmlVX8#t=98

Peter.

• rampart_1576840087rampart_1576840087 Posts: 504
    edited December 1969

Where and how do you get the Beta Release?

I purchased Carrara 8.5 pro.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

rampart1 said:

You should find Carrara 8.5 Beta in your Product Library, that's where I got it when I bought C8.5

You can only download and install this with DIM, and you need to set the Filter to accept Public Builds as well, then it should appear.
  • MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

I have the beta installed through DIM into its own directory. I don't remember what I did specifically to do that. You can then copy presets and such over, it reads the same content setup however there are things about switching to the new database for the smart content a little ways back in the thread so I have both running. From what I understand if you don't have the Beta in your DIM once you enable Beta to show up you need to write support and they will put it in your account and it will then show up in DIM.

edited December 1969

rampart1 said:

You should find Carrara 8.5 Beta in your Product Library, that's where I got it when I bought C8.5

You can only download and install this with DIM, and you need to set the Filter to accept Public Builds as well, then it should appear.

It isn't showing in my product library. I posted a support ticket.

I have been reluctant to do beta, but the valentina db is causing too many issue back and forth with Daz3d studio. I hope the PostgreSQL works well.

Thanks for the responses.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

I have the Carrara browser setup as in this video, I think it's only possible from within Carrara. So I'm afraid I will have to setup all this again when Carrara installs over the one I already have and places everything in the default locations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDOhvFmlVX8#t=98

Peter.

I'll have to take a look at this browser set up. I always have a hard time finding my content, even with Smart Content.

edited April 2015

I have completely given up on Carrara 8.5 pro for now. The valentina DB has been noted to have issues, and the postgreSQL is a fix...is my understanding. I removed the Carrara and content specific to Carrara.

Currently, I have a support ticket posted to get support to set my account to acquire the Carrara 8.5 pro Beta (at no charge) so I can use the PostgreSQL that will work in the Beta.

The content.and smart content is showing up and appears to be working very well with the PostgreSQL in Daz3d studio 4.7

I honestly believe DAZ3d has probably done a good job of creating information we need, but it takes a ferret to find it.

Post edited by rampart_1576840087 on
  • deadspeakdeadspeak Posts: 28
    edited December 1969

Hi the render node for the Public Build will not install. Running Yosemite 10.10.2
    Just says Installation failed! in Install Manager

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

deadspeak said:
    Hi the render node for the Public Build will not install. Running Yosemite 10.10.2
    Just says Installation failed! in Install Manager

Where are you trying to install it? It needs to go on a different computer than the main application. When you want to render over a network, you would have the nodes installed on the client computers and the main application on the host computer. The nodes and the main application will all need to be launched render over a network.

Also, any special leaf shapes and plugins will need to be installed on the node computers to work. Other content does not need to be installed on the nodes- basically leaf shapes or whatever is in the data folder and plugins.

edited December 1969

Slightly confused, with my old set-up I had a nod loaded on the main CU as well as client. It worked fine. Got a newer CU running 10.10, updated client to 10, nothing connected, quote from DAZ:

"Topher Spencer, Mar 12, 15:49:
    Hi Christopher
    The Render node system is currently broken in the 10.10 version of OSX. Because of the security changes to Mac User Account Control render node cannot make connection. We are aware of the issue and there could be a fix in the future.

Sorry for the inconvenience".

So i was hoping that this Beta would solve the problem... Is this a feature that just started with this Beta?
    Thanks

edited December 1969

deadspeak said:
    Slightly confused, with my old set-up I had a nod loaded on the main CU as well as client. It worked fine. Got a newer CU running 10.10, updated client to 10, nothing connected, quote from DAZ:

"Topher Spencer, Mar 12, 15:49:
    Hi Christopher
    The Render node system is currently broken in the 10.10 version of OSX. Because of the security changes to Mac User Account Control render node cannot make connection. We are aware of the issue and there could be a fix in the future.

Sorry for the inconvenience".

So i was hoping that this Beta would solve the problem... Is this a feature that just started with this Beta?
    Thanks

It would work fine if it was installed in a different directory than the main application, but that doesn't mean it actually does anything except take up space on your HD. The DIM probably wants to install it to the same directory as the main application, which could be why it is failing to install.

As to the network rendering on the Mac, I can't say for sure, but I thought that there were Mac users using the beta and nodes, but I could be wrong about that. Maybe if you post a separate topic asking if other Mac users have nodes working, you could get more reliable information than from the DAZ help desk (which I think can be somewhat ignorant of Mac issues)?

I do use nodes, but they are with my older version of Carrara 7.2 Pro. I have one installed on a Core2 Duo iMac running Mavericks and by rights it shouldn't even launch but it does. I also have a full install of C8.5 Pro (non-beta) installed on it, but my other computers are PPC based Macs and can't run C8.5 nodes, so I can't test it.

edited December 1969

Thanks Evil, will install manually & see what happens. I'll try posting a Mac Yosemite topic, I just took for granted that help desk would be the final authority.
    Chris

edited December 1969

deadspeak said:
    Thanks Evil, will install manually & see what happens. I'll try posting a Mac Yosemite topic, I just took for granted that help desk would be the final authority.
    Chris

They could very well be right about the issues, but in a Windows world, I have been told one to many times by "experts" or "authorities" that something would not work on a Mac, and many times they're either mis-informed, half right/half wrong or plain wrong.

They are right about 64 bit Carrara and QT not playing well together, so for animations and C8.5, I just render to an image sequence, and if I need and alpha channel, I render to an image sequence format that supports it.

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited May 2015

Two major things in this update.
    1. The parameters pane glitch is fixed. (Where the Pose Controls were hidden).

Need to be clearer about this particular issue to decide if I install this new Beta...

I'm a 2yo DS user (pro4.7) and 3 months old Carrarist (8.5pro). Genesis-only user, no Legacy and G2. DIM to date. Valentina only. Stable DS Carrara DIM otherwise.

My experience...

Pose Control/ BODY morphs, all showed up, store-bought products or my own custom pose controls.

Pose Control/ HEAD - including Daz3D Genesis Expressives or vendor face expressions (220 Emotions, SimonWM's Expressions etc) do not show up in Carrara Parameters. Found these deeply buried inside Modeling room morphs section in messed-up unsortable orders.

More importantly - as Modeling/Morph Targets they are impossible to use: can't audition dense eyes/lips regions with Modeling mode lit vertices.

Quite disappointing as I bought these Genesis expression products not to use in DS but in Carrara.

I've tried (in DS) moving Daz3D or vendor expressions/ morphs into new custom property at Pose Control top level, no avail.

Also, noted in this thread - the known missing Parameters/Pose Controls issue seems to behave differently for different DS-Carrara users. So just to be certain: I'm wondering now if this new 8.5.1.17 version Parameter Pose Control fix applies for Genesis head/ face pose controls showing up consistently?

Thanks...

Post edited by Mythmaker on
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Mythmaker said:
    Two major things in this update.
    1. The parameters pane glitch is fixed. (Where the Pose Controls were hidden).

Need to be clearer about this particular issue to decide if I install this new Beta...

I'm a 2yo DS user (pro4.7) and 3 months old Carrarist (8.5pro). Genesis-only user, no Legacy and G2. DIM to date. Valentina only. Stable DS Carrara DIM otherwise.

My experience...

Pose Control/ BODY morphs, all showed up, store-bought products or my own custom pose controls.

Pose Control/ HEAD - including Daz3D Genesis Expressives or vendor face expressions (220 Emotions, SimonWM's Expressions etc) do not show up in Carrara Parameters. Found these deeply buried inside Modeling room morphs section in messed-up unsortable orders.

More importantly - as Modeling/Morph Targets they are impossible to use: can't audition dense eyes/lips regions with Modeling mode lit vertices.

Quite disappointing as I bought these Genesis expression products not to use in DS but in Carrara.

I've tried (in DS) moving Daz3D or vendor expressions/ morphs into new custom property at Pose Control top level, no avail.

Also, noted in this thread - the known missing Parameters/Pose Controls issue seems to behave differently for different DS-Carrara users. So just to be certain: I'm wondering now if this new 8.5.1.17 version Parameter Pose Control fix applies for Genesis head/ face pose controls showing up consistently?

Thanks...
    They are where they belong for me. I am not sure what you are seeing.

PoseControls2.jpg
    632 x 1170 - 103K
    PoseControls.jpg
    659 x 1000 - 66K
    edited May 2015

I presume your pic is referring to 8.5pro Release build 243?

If so, here's what I see in DS and Carrara.

First pic shows what I see in DS. Pose Control/ Head and expressions products only show up with 'show hidden properties" turned on. Even then, they are greyed out, though dial-able.

Second pic: they won't show in Carrara Parameter. Only in Modeling mode morph target.

Just had another round of reinstall of all expression products yesterday. Situtation unchanged.

My own custom pose controls (lower body/ mouth) show as normal in both DS and Carrara.

headwontshow.jpg
    1002 x 507 - 145K
    hidden.jpg
    901 x 501 - 143K
    edited December 1969

Mythmaker said:

I presume your pic is referring to 8.5pro Release build 243?

If so, here's what I see in DS and Carrara.

First pic shows what I see in DS. Pose Control/ Head and expressions products only show up with 'show hidden properties" turned on. Even then, they are greyed out, though dial-able.

Second pic: they won't show in Carrara Parameter. Only in Modeling mode morph target.

Just had another round of reinstall of all expression products yesterday. Situtation unchanged.

My own custom pose controls (lower body/ mouth) show as normal in both DS and Carrara.
    My images come from the Beta, this is the Beta thread.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210
    edited December 1969

Mine too. I don't know why yours (Mythmaker) shows such a short list. I think I get everything in the official release as well as the beta. I love the filter unit. I use the base figure selection for expressions and such... love it!
    edited May 2015

I haven't install Beta yet. My question was "if I install this Beta will it fix my SEEMINGLY UNIQUE 8.5pro build.243 issue?".

I hence illustrate my specific missing POSE CONTROL/ HEAD ONLY issue, because I didn't seen this particular report, by user or on official version guide.

I still think my specific issue has to do DIM installed DS.4.7 products. I shouldn't have to activate Show Hidden Properties to show Daz3D products or vendor products. Something there is not right.

But the answer to my original question is a yes: all pose controls that didn't show up in earlier build are expected to show up in this Beta.

And yes the picture posted is reassuring. Thanks.

Next, figuring out the Valentina Postgre maze...

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited May 2015

You get all head only parameters by selecting "head" in the character tree.
    As far as I remember, this is possible in 8.5 and maybe already in 8.

Head.jpg
    254 x 819 - 70K
    Post edited by EddyMI3D on
    edited December 1969

EddyMI said:
    You get all head only parameters by selecting "head" in the character tree.
    As far as I remember, this is possible in 8.5 and maybe already in 8.
    It is an 8.5 new feature.
    edited December 1969

Mythmaker said:

I haven't install Beta yet. My question was "if I install this Beta will it fix my SEEMINGLY UNIQUE 8.5pro build.243 issue?".

I hence illustrate my specific missing POSE CONTROL/ HEAD ONLY issue, because I didn't seen this particular report, by user or on official version guide.

I still think my specific issue has to do DIM installed DS.4.7 products. I shouldn't have to activate Show Hidden Properties to show Daz3D products or vendor products. Something there is not right.

But the answer to my original question is a yes: all pose controls that didn't show up in earlier build are expected to show up in this Beta.

And yes the picture posted is reassuring. Thanks.

Next, figuring out the Valentina Postgre maze...
    The beta can be installed alongside the release version. The Beta may or may not solve your issue. It is not something I have seen in 8.5 though I have seen a different, possibly related, issue in the release version if you have morphs in multiple content directories.

If the beta doesn't solve this for you, then please file a support ticket to see if we can get to the bottom of this.

edited December 1969

The beta can be installed alongside the release version. The Beta may or may not solve your issue. It is not something I have seen in 8.5 though I have seen a different, possibly related, issue in the release version if you have morphs in multiple content directories.

If the beta doesn't solve this for you, then please file a support ticket to see if we can get to the bottom of this.

Sure, will do. Thanks.

And before I install this beta...

For unknown reason DIM (latest build at that time) auto-installed both DS.4.7 and Carrara8.5pro to program files/DAZ3D/DAZ3D/xxxxxx.

But since both worked mostly without a glitch I didn't let it bother me. DS4.5 was installed one level up inside .../DAZ3D/, and has since been uninstalled after 4.7 proved to work fine on my sys out of the box.

Should I manually install this Carrara beta into .../DAZ3D/DAZ3D/, or the supposedly "more correct" .../DAZ3D/ level?

edited December 1969

Mythmaker said:

Sure, will do. Thanks.

And before I install this beta...

For unknown reason DIM (latest build at that time) auto-installed both DS.4.7 and Carrara8.5pro to program files/DAZ3D/DAZ3D/xxxxxx.

But since both worked mostly without a glitch I didn't let it bother me. DS4.5 was installed one level up inside .../DAZ3D/, and has since been uninstalled after 4.7 proved to work fine on my sys out of the box.

Should I manually install this Carrara beta into .../DAZ3D/DAZ3D/, or the supposedly "more correct" .../DAZ3D/ level?

You can adjust Install Manager to install software to wherever you want, providing the location is legitimate (Not installing to a read only drive for example) and there is enough hard drive space there. :) Note that it will add the folder level DAZD for you. So if you choose D:\ it will install to D:\DAZ3D. If you chose C:\Program Files\DAZ3D then it will install to C:\Program Files\DAZ3D\DAZ3D

edited December 1969

You can adjust Install Manager to install software to wherever you want, providing the location is legitimate (Not installing to a read only drive for example) and there is enough hard drive space there. :) Note that it will add the folder level DAZD for you. So if you choose D:\ it will install to D:\DAZ3D. If you chose C:\Program Files\DAZ3D then it will install to C:\Program Files\DAZ3D\DAZ3D

Good to know this is legit (hence not a DIM bug). I will install one level up this time. Thanks again!

edited May 2015

Carrara Beta isn't available for me.

If you have previously purchased the Carrara 8.5 Pro or Carrara 8.5 product, launch Install Manager, log into your account and type "Carrara * Public Build" into the filter field to filter out anything else. Then simply download and install as you would normally.

If you do not already have Carrara 8.5 Pro BETA in your account and you have purchased Carrara 8.5 (Pro), simply follow this link, click the "Add to Cart" button on the page and then follow the checkout process. This product is free to customers that have purchased Carrara 8.5 (Pro) and will be automatically discounted.

*Note: The current version of Install Manager has a Public Build download filter that is disabled by default. You must enable this download filter to see packages in your Ready to Download list that are tagged PublicBuild.

Optionally, you can locate, download and install the BETA from the Product Library [once you are logged into your account] by entering "Carrara 8.5 Pro BETA" into the text field near the top left of the page and clicking the "Filter" button, or by clicking here. Then, simply click the "download & install" button.

*Note: This BETA version is not available as a standalone installer. It must be downloaded and installed using Install Manager. This does not impact the General Release, which will be made available through Install Manager as well as a standalone installer.

I have Carrara 8.5 Pro.

I have enabled DIM filters for ALL versions of Carrara, also public AND private. Doesn't appear.

When clicked on download link in above quote, I get a Carrara Beta, that is not free as claimed.

I have purchased Carrara 8.5 Pro. See pic. Why isn't this Beta available for me?

I can see DS 4.8 beta in my DIM.

beta.jpg
    563 x 333 - 59K
    edited May 2015

Mythmaker said:
    Carrara Beta isn't available for me.

If you have previously purchased the Carrara 8.5 Pro or Carrara 8.5 product, launch Install Manager, log into your account and type "Carrara * Public Build" into the filter field to filter out anything else. Then simply download and install as you would normally.

If you do not already have Carrara 8.5 Pro BETA in your account and you have purchased Carrara 8.5 (Pro), simply follow this link, click the "Add to Cart" button on the page and then follow the checkout process. This product is free to customers that have purchased Carrara 8.5 (Pro) and will be automatically discounted.

*Note: The current version of Install Manager has a Public Build download filter that is disabled by default. You must enable this download filter to see packages in your Ready to Download list that are tagged PublicBuild.

Optionally, you can locate, download and install the BETA from the Product Library [once you are logged into your account] by entering "Carrara 8.5 Pro BETA" into the text field near the top left of the page and clicking the "Filter" button, or by clicking here. Then, simply click the "download & install" button.

*Note: This BETA version is not available as a standalone installer. It must be downloaded and installed using Install Manager. This does not impact the General Release, which will be made available through Install Manager as well as a standalone installer.

I have Carrara 8.5 Pro.

I have enabled DIM filters for ALL versions of Carrara, also public AND private. Doesn't appear.

When clicked on download link in above quote, I get a Carrara Beta, that is not free as claimed.

I have purchased Carrara 8.5 Pro. See pic. Why isn't this Beta available for me?

I can see DS 4.8 beta in my DIM.

Please file a support ticket, if you still don't have it.

Looks like the store had a hiccup with the cache that Install manager uses over the weekend.

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on