Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin [Commercial]

Comments

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited December 1969

@gone I really love Garibaldi too. In terms of ease of use it wins hands down. Super easy to get something good looking relatively quickly. Unfortunately these days I'm rendering pretty much only in Iray and Cycles, which limits its usefulness. I may try to render a man for a change in the near future though, so there may be some hair converted to objects on him.

@Kyoto Kid The character is based off my Disney morph from the Elsa thread (which reminds me I should update my freebie thread and stick that in) I then further morphed it to get the face shape rounder and soften the chin.

I forgot how poofy that hair was. I wasn't actually looking at reference. I know myself if I have reference I won't be satisfied until I match it perfectly, which tends to mean lots of unfinished projects

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

...yeah, I used Teen Julie as the base As she already had a slightly rounder head and face. of course had to do a lot of morphing and scaling to get the head shape as close as possible to the Pixar character. Before that, tried using 3Du's toon characters as a base, but kept running into issues with the chin and lower jaw not looking right even after using DFormers.

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

I can understand the preoccupation with the new and shiny iRay. Personally, I won't be using it until it's out of beta. No reason other than personal preference.

Still, it would be nice to see other Garibaldi compositions - even old ones. There are times I feel like i'm the only one using it. :-)

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

I tried to get back into using GH a while ago but it did not work out at the time.

I just started with it again a few days back and am having good results and lot of fun.

Nothing to show though. Im testing out a few theorys.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Gone said:
    I can understand the preoccupation with the new and shiny iRay. Personally, I won't be using it until it's out of beta. No reason other than personal preference.

Still, it would be nice to see other Garibaldi compositions - even old ones. There are times I feel like i'm the only one using it. :-)

Oh I use Garibaldi, love it. But have far from mastered it. It is great for adding a quick head of hair.
    Have had some success with .obj files but not for any morphing 'cause Hexagon has seizures with them.

edited December 1969

...saw Merida in RL yesterday while down on the "Ave." Could have been a dead ringer as she had that full head of wild red hair, small round face and slender tomboyish physique,

Felt a little nervous :studying" her, (phone doesn't have a camera) but it really gave me good insight into how that type of hair reacts to light as well as how it falls and moves naturally.

Here's a pic of one young Scottish lass who is said to be one of the closest RL "doubles"of the character.

Caitlyn-Boyd-Princess-Merida.jpg
    460 x 300 - 143K
  • cdemeritcdemerit Posts: 505
    edited December 1969

I picked up Garibaldi hair during the MM sales. I can see great potential for my needs, however, as simple as some aspects are, I'm have problems with some of the finer points (mainly because I'm doing too much at once, and not focusing).

Are there any tutorials that you'd recommend?

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Kamion99 said:
    @gone I really love Garibaldi too. In terms of ease of use it wins hands down. Super easy to get something good looking relatively quickly. Unfortunately these days I'm rendering pretty much only in Iray and Cycles, which limits its usefulness. I may try to render a man for a change in the near future though, so there may be some hair converted to objects on him.

One potential solution is to simply do a render pass of the hair in 3delight, then render again in Iray and composite the two together. I'm not a big Studio user, but the same method works for me to get carrara dynamic hair into an Octane render. I went hunting for specs on Studio pro, but couldn't find whether it has the option of doing separate render passes, but even if it doesn't I don't think it would be too hard to composite the 3delight render on top of the Iray render and making everything in the 3delight render invisible except the Garibaldi hair, and therefore get the best of both worlds.

Unbiased rendering is truly excellent for realism, but the one huge downside is when everything else in the scene looks great, it almost always makes the prop/character hair look pretty bad. Seems like a shame to go to all the trouble of making everything else in the scene look great by using an unbiased renderer and then let the prop hair hurt the believability.

edited December 1969

As I mentioned above, I don't do the DS beta - but this is one of the things I intend to try once the stable release comes out.

edited December 1969

cdemerit said:
    I picked up Garibaldi hair during the MM sales. I can see great potential for my needs, however, as simple as some aspects are, I'm have problems with some of the finer points (mainly because I'm doing too much at once, and not focusing).

Are there any tutorials that you'd recommend?

As I mentioned a couple of pages back, when the question was asked, I have a tutorial on how one method of furring the milcat back on page 72.

Don't know if that's of any use to you.

edited December 1969

So crossposting this render here. Eyebrows and hair are garibaldi exported as objects to get them in Iray. Have to say, getting the hair to have enough hair and detail and still be a manageable size took a lot of trial and error. It probably didn't help that its an old hair I styled on genesis, so I also had to convert it to gen2.

alexiray2.jpg
    1125 x 900 - 199K
    edited December 1969

Looks great!

Now I'm curious as to what you consider a "manageable size".

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

THat looks really good.

Any tips on the eyebrows in GH (not the export)

edited December 1969

Speaking for myself, I normally set the seg length to 0.2 to get a more flexible hair. Then it's just a matter of shaping to suit.

edited December 1969

I get the basemesh down to about 50MB. I find it easier to have a relatively lowres base and then subdivide and smooth it, makes the viewport and test renders much less laggy. I've also switched over to using a skullcap whenever possible. with a scalp texture I don't have to worry as much about the head showing through.

Here's my updated hair

alex1_copy.jpg
    1125 x 900 - 164K
    edited December 1969

You call 50MB low res???? Clearly, you have better equipment than I.

A couple of days ago, I tried the same thing with a 16MB mesh. The original Garibaldi hair rendered in under 10 minutes. After 2 hours, the mesh hair was barely 1/3 done.

Granted, it was rendering in 3Delight - but I don't think iRay would improve the render time all that much.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Gone said:
    You call 50MB low res???? Clearly, you have better equipment than I.

A couple of days ago, I tried the same thing with a 16MB mesh. The original Garibaldi hair rendered in under 10 minutes. After 2 hours, the mesh hair was barely 1/3 done.

Granted, it was rendering in 3Delight - but I don't think iRay would improve the render time all that much.

Gone...if it's a GPU render...yeah, it could. But you'd probably need an upper end 700 series 4 GB or better card. The few scenes I've done that actually fit on my 1 GB 400 series card were incredibly fast.

edited December 1969

yeah, low res is a misnomer; lower res I guess. Its kind of inevitable with mesh strands.

edited December 1969

My jalopy is almost as old as I am - and I'm retired.:-)

GPU ain't happening any time soon.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,885
    edited December 1969

Just go buy a new card, some of them are only a few thousand dollars...

heh heh

edited December 1969

...actually wait until Nvidia launches the entire "Maxwell" architecture line, and the price for a the current generation GPUs should drop. The Maxwell Titan-X (12 GB) has already been released and later this year the GTX980 will have it's memory doubled to 8 GB. .

edited December 1969

You can get a 4GB 7xx level card for under $100...that is enough to speed up most renders. No, not as much as 9xx series would, but still a lot compared to a CPU render.

And the 600/700 series cards probably won't drop much in price and it will be at least a year before the current 9xx drop all that much. But a 12 GB card would be nice...two would be even better.

edited April 2015

...well considering the price for the 12 GB Titan-X is 999$ (direct from Nvidia) and the Quadro K6000 (also 12 GB) is around 5,000$, yeah that is significant.

I'm waiting for the 970/980 upgrades.

BTW, what good would two of these be as video memory does not stack for rendering purposes? I can see having a GPU with less memory (say 1 - 2 GB) to drive the display and the heftier one for rendering.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

BTW, what good would two of these be as video memory does not stack for rendering purposes? I can see having a GPU with less memory (say 1 - 2 GB) to drive the display and the heftier one for rendering.

Well, from a memory viewpoint...no, not much, but from doubling the number of cores, yes that would speed things up. Some of the high end 'enthusiast' motherboards have up to 4 slots...so theoretically you could have 3 of them and a lower end card for driving the monitors...but you'd need to be a PowerBall winner to get all of that and be able to pay the electric bill (more from having to run the AC on 'Arctic' to not cook anything...).

edited December 1969

...yeah but at 999$ a pop that's a pretty hefty investment just for rendering speed.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,655
    edited December 1969

Cheaper than a VCA, which I've seen said to be on the order of $50,000.

edited April 2015

...yeah, but there was someone here who mentioned they built a render system using a number of Tesla M2090s (512 CUDA Cores and 6GB GDDR5 per unit) which they bought for about 140$ each.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

This is pretty much the same as the merida hair, just with some setting tweaks. and of course a much funner pose.

Eventually its going to get composited with the figure rendered in Iray, and a background rendered in blender, because I like to make things complicated.

gabtest.png
    800 x 960 - 572K
  • Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

Kamion99 said:
    This is pretty much the same as the merida hair, just with some setting tweaks. and of course a much funner pose.

Eventually its going to get composited with the figure rendered in Iray, and a background rendered in blender, because I like to make things complicated.

You may find this matte script set helpful for compositing hair: https://sites.google.com/site/millighostmix/home/holdout_matte

• none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862
    edited April 2015

Anyone know why my exported obj only looks like the distribution and not the styled?
    It renders out like the styled in 3Dlight! But I want to use the obj in Iray.
    Thanks.

Garibaldi-Eyebrows-001.png
    1020 x 1512 - 794K
    Post edited by none01ohone on