Joan 9

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,294
    edited March 2023

CHWT said:

xyer0 said:

CHWT said:

I actually find that all white G9 core characters look like members from the same family

Ivar? Nikolai? Pixie? Josie? Thimor? Perhaps you left out a few words. 

Except M9, V9, Pixie and Josie. The rest are so easily recognizable as a G9 character, because they look like a variation of the default G9 figure. Just my two cents

Yeah, maybe we are back to V4 times, when it took a long time (long, long time) before creators came up with characters that didn't look like Julia Roberts (V4) or her sisters. 

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

I'm back just to state that my last comment was made not because the figure would bad - I think she's looking quite okay for a end twenties, early thirties female - but to jest about DAZlands habit to use certain names for their figures to imply certain famous real or fictional people, while usually failing utterly as the context given with the bundle is way off the mark. Be it vikings or a teenage saviour of France.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518

Wonderland said:

Since today is woman's day, I'm going to bring this up. I'm wondering if there are any female character artists on staff at DAZ. Except for Victoria 7, Victoria 9, Jaqueline 8, and Thorne characters, most of the female DAZ core characters are not particularly attractive and I've noticed in general, that women tend to create more attractive female characters than men. I noticed this in comic books a lot. They can create great sexy bodies, but not faces so much. Of course there are men who create gorgeous female characters but I find it kind of rare. Whenever I see a beautiful PA character, I automatically assume a female created it and I'm usually right. Sorry if this is off-topic but Im just stumped why the Daz core female characters are so unattractive and how really awful some of the makeup especially is. No woman would create the ugly makeup I've seen on some core characters! I just hope they get more female character creators on staff at DAZ.

I feel we are on the same page as far as tastes, probably because of our environment and what we see daily as opposed to many others on the forum. I get the feeling though that if we wait for DAZ to create a swimsuit model type of core figure, they will probably botch it, LOL. Luckily it's easy to create your own instead of waiting for something that may not ever come

• I think Gen9 base was designed with more average looking characters in mind.

In theory.

In practice glamour and lingerie wear for G9 already is outnumbering anything else at least two times.

On the other hand... Glam characters usually are covered by PAs. DO Core characters usually expand the gene pool.

• arne207arne207 Posts: 153
    edited March 2023

sid said:

If you restart your machine do you get the same issue? I wonder if there is something sticking the experssion in a weird place.

Interesting idea, thanks! Just got back from work and tried again. Alas, no, she's still angry.

I just tried the brows ("Card Style 05") on Minerva, and they made her just as angry. Can anyone confirm that Joan uses these by default? Maybe there is something wrong in my file structure since other people don't seem to have this issue.

123.png
    700 x 936 - 636K
    Post edited by arne207 on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991

Joan looks young and attractive to me. Then again, I'll be 70 this August.

Please try to keep in mind that this is a very diverse community of creative people here, so please be kind.

Thanks. smiley

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,001
    edited March 2023

arne207 said:

sid said:

If you restart your machine do you get the same issue? I wonder if there is something sticking the experssion in a weird place.

Interesting idea, thanks! Just got back from work and tried again. Alas, no, she's still angry.

I just tried the brows ("Card Style 05") on Minerva, and they made her just as angry. Can anyone confirm that Joan uses these by default? Maybe there is something wrong in my file structure since other people don't seem to have this issue.

I think you may have another morph getting dialed in. This is how Joan 9 HD loads and looks out of the box:

Joan9HD-OutoftheBox.png
    1500 x 1500 - 2M
    Post edited by FenixPhoenix on
    edited March 2023
    I think you may have another morph getting dialed in. This is how Joan 9 HD loads and looks out of the box:

That would be a logical answer, but this is how it looks for me after starting DAZ and loading Joan, nothing else. The only shape morphs that are shown as active are "Joan 9 Body", "Joan 9 Head" and "Joan 9".

EDIT: ... and there's something interesting: Joan 9 HD loads ok - with Eyebrows Card Style 6 and brown eyes. It's Joan 9 that looks angry with Card Style 5 and green eyes.

arne207 said:

That would be a logical answer, but this is how it looks for me after starting DAZ and loading Joan, nothing else. The only shape morphs that are shown as active are "Joan 9 Body", "Joan 9 Head" and "Joan 9".

Try checking if there's a hidden corrective that's being applied.

1. In the Parameters Tab, in the upper left corner, click on the hamburger icon (lines and arrow) > Preferences > Show Hidden Properties.
    2. Then select your character and look under "Currently Used".
    edited March 2023
    1. In the Parameters Tab, in the upper left corner, click on the hamburger icon (lines and arrow) > Preferences > Show Hidden Properties.

Thanks for replying! Just did that, there's the same stuff that was there before, so nothing hidden. But as I have edited: I get the "intended" version with Joan 9 HD, and the "wrong" version with Joan 9. The Non-HD-version has different eyebrows and a different eye color. Can someone confirm this?

arne207 said:

Thanks for replying! Just did that, there's the same stuff that was there before, so nothing hidden. But as I have edited: I get the "intended" version with Joan 9 HD, and the "wrong" version with Joan 9. The Non-HD-Version has different eyebrows and a different eye color. Can someone confirm this?

Ah, you're right. I didn't think about loading Joan 9 without the HD, but mine looks like yours as well.

Ah, you're right. I didn't think about loading Joan 9 without the HD, but mine looks like yours as well.

That settles it - time for a ticket...

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,602

What I do want to know is...where is that side-shaved short hair in her promo? 

Here is my usual comparison with tweaks. I think the big issue with her is that her HD morph out of the box is entirely too strong. Conversely, you could load her Non-HD version, but then you have to dial back the loaded head normal to .5.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

Her face is just a bit too smooth. I really she had a few more deeper lines under her eyes and the set of sharp lines bracketing the mouth most faces develop over time.

• dortybassadortybassa Posts: 480
    edited March 2023

Does she have a Roman Nose (am I allowed to say that in 2023)?

Post edited by dortybassa on
  • sidsid Posts: 384

arne207 said:

That settles it - time for a ticket...

Thank you for figuring it out!

• sidsid Posts: 384

MelissaGT said:

Here is my usual comparison with tweaks. I think the big issue with her is that her HD morph out of the box is entirely too strong. Conversely, you could load her Non-HD version, but then you have to dial back the loaded head normal to .5.

I always love seeing you're tweaked version. I saved the settings in my phone from one of the older threads. 

sid said:

MelissaGT said:

I always love seeing you're tweaked version. I saved the settings in my phone from one of the older threads. 

No prob! I will try to do more of an artistic render later with more stylistic lighting.  

• FenixPhoenix said:

arne207 said:

Thanks for replying! Just did that, there's the same stuff that was there before, so nothing hidden. But as I have edited: I get the "intended" version with Joan 9 HD, and the "wrong" version with Joan 9. The Non-HD-Version has different eyebrows and a different eye color. Can someone confirm this?

There was an update when I went on just now and as far as I can see HD and plain match, and don't look angry.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,694

FSMCDesigns said:

Wonderland said:

Since today is woman's day, I'm going to bring this up. I'm wondering if there are any female character artists on staff at DAZ. Except for Victoria 7, Victoria 9, Jaqueline 8, and Thorne characters, most of the female DAZ core characters are not particularly attractive and I've noticed in general, that women tend to create more attractive female characters than men. I noticed this in comic books a lot. They can create great sexy bodies, but not faces so much. Of course there are men who create gorgeous female characters but I find it kind of rare. Whenever I see a beautiful PA character, I automatically assume a female created it and I'm usually right. Sorry if this is off-topic but Im just stumped why the Daz core female characters are so unattractive and how really awful some of the makeup especially is. No woman would create the ugly makeup I've seen on some core characters! I just hope they get more female character creators on staff at DAZ.

I feel we are on the same page as far as tastes, probably because of our environment and what we see daily as opposed to many others on the forum. I get the feeling though that if we wait for DAZ to create a swimsuit model type of core figure, they will probably botch it, LOL. Luckily it's easy to create your own instead of waiting for something that may not ever come

I really liked V7 for pretty much everything but she was way too recognizable. I use the body of V7 for V8 dialed in a bit sometimes and the Pretty Base shape although I preferred the V4 Pretty base shape to later versions (not the face.) I think we both prefer the Victoria's Secret type model look although I also like the smaller breasted tall sophisticated runway/Vogue model shape. And yes, I see both types all the time in person here in LA (and did some modeling myself in my teens/20's laugh)  

For me, I prefer to use really beautiful characters or the direct opposite, complete caracatures, but something in the middle, average looking like Joan doesn't really serve my purposes. It's very easy to make a character look average but harder to create interesting non-Barbie looking beautiful characters like Mousso does. Some people on the forums seem to assume that all beauty is Botox/filler Kardashian look when in actuality distinct interesting features can make a model more beautiful. I often watch (now reruns) of America's Next Top model to inspire me. 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,684

MelissaGT said:

Thank you for this @MelissaGT. I am also saving each comparison of the Core characters you do and I am learning from each. 

And for the record, I like Joan. Sometimes a neutral character can give a base to work on. Especially when more complex morph packs come out or more characters. I am looking forward to some various groups being represented in the future. For what it is worth, I find beauty in the eyes where soul shines out. Someone can be gorgeous but if the eyes are cold/dead, they are a turn-off.

And remember DAZ and PAs, while everyone came from an ethnicity, today we often work and live in contemporary modern office clothes and non-sexified versions would be gratefully received. All professions, technical/service work, or school clothing that is not Goth or street punks and for teens to younger kids.

Mary 

There was an update when I went on just now and as far as I can see HD and plain match, and don't look angry.

Thanks, appreciated!

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,259

TJohn said:

Joan looks young and attractive to me. Then again, I'll be 70 this August.

Please try to keep in mind that this is a very diverse community of creative people here, so please be kind.

Thanks. smiley

No one is 'unkind'. Those who declare Joan 9 to be 'old' are, at best, quite disoriented. I would estimate the age of this character to be about 21, and I think I can estimate the real ages of people quite well. 

The historical Joan of Arc left her childhood home at the end of 1428, during the Hundred Years War, at the age of sixteen, to free France from the English. So it would be only five years separating her from Joan 9. However, the appearance of young people can change a lot in that time span. I think Joan of Arc was Joan of Arc, and Joan 9 is Joan 9  ;-) By the way, I like her more and more.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,024

caravelle said:

The historical Joan of Arc left her childhood home at the end of 1428, during the Hundred Years War, at the age of sixteen, to free France from the English. So it would be only five years separating her from Joan 9. 

But she was executed at 19, narrowing the gap quite a bit.

• PixelSploitingPixelSploiting Posts: 871
    edited March 2023

Well, it's DazLand "history" rather than history so maybe they did not burn her in Daz timeline... After all they also started adding heels to field plate armor.

I'd rename her to Jeanne D'Az wink

Or Jeanne of Daz. 

Post edited by PixelSploiting on
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,639

PixelSploiting said:

Well, it's DazLand "history" rather than history so maybe they did not burn her in Daz timeline... After all they also started adding heels to field plate armor.

Or Jeanne of Daz. 

And after defeating the English, she then defeated the Patriarchy which sought to put her to death and unseated the dauphin, declaring the revolution centuries ahead of schedule on the initial celebration of International Women's Day! Vive la Jeanne! 

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,310

PixelSploiting said:

Or Jeanne of Daz. 

laugh Jeanne D'Az is just hilarious! 

• MalandarMalandar Posts: 672

Has anyone posed that defender armor? The promos all show the character posed in the shape of the armor with no movement. I especially want to see how that elbow strap behaves when her arms are bent.

• The inner elbow, imevitably, gets squeezed (I'd guess that there would be limited movement theer in reality) and the rivet is gettign stretched (in a very crude pose - I just moved the hand in the geneal direction of the sword with the Universal Tool - there is some intersection between the upper arms and the shoulder plates as a result).

Genesis 9 Defender Outfit.jpg
    666 x 716 - 66K