Joan 9

Comments

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807

"So I shed no tears as the brazier crackled and rang

And the arquebusiers and the flower of chivalry sang

'Oh Joanie, oh Joanie, the tumbril and the pony

Through the ranks of the yeomanry steer.

The gallows is cold and the gibbet is lonely.

We'll make things hot for you here ...' "

-- "Burning Joan", Blyth Power

• theflarftheflarf Posts: 109

Seems a bit of a lazy choice unless i'm missing something, surely a younger female warrior would actually be an interesting character inspiration rather than this maturer adult 

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,016
    edited March 2023

Serene Night said:

I am going to buy her stuff, but Joan herself doesn't do anything for me. I also am limiting myself to as few gen 9 females as possible, I don't want the extra morphs, correctives and stuff causing g9 to lag.

I wish the promos showed some of the outfits fitted on men, I can use more armor but not if the breast area is profoundly female-appearing.

Here's the Swords Legacy Outfit fitted to a Male figure. The unfortunate thing is that it has high heels, so I replaced the foot part of the boots and swapped it with boots of dforce Reforged (hiding the shin part from this one). The scene crashed before I could do renders of the outfit without the "Dress" piece, which actually looks pretty good.

SwordsLegacy-Male.png
    1159 x 1500 - 1M
    Post edited by FenixPhoenix on
  • PixelSploitingPixelSploiting Posts: 874
    edited March 2023

Yes. Less about Mrs Jeanne Done and more about the universal stuff. Defender armor fitted to G9 Masculine. Works fine, no extra deformation in the chest. The sword is separate from the scabbard, the tassets are parented static props so they do not deform weirdly.

Thight protectors are very short because this is modeled to be used with the skirt.

Overall, very nice suit. It only needs a helmet and maybe gloves. There's plenty of Daz helmets to borrow and gloves weren't even always worn.

This PA has no difficulty jumping from functional wear to casual clothes to glamour and slinky ones.

sdfg.jpg
    1280 x 2160 - 1M
    sdfgw.jpg
    1280 x 2160 - 1M
    sdfgwg.jpg
    1280 x 2160 - 1M
    Post edited by PixelSploiting on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,121

I can't complain about the wealth of medieval fantasy stuff that's come out for G9, but would also appreciate some more diversity.

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,960

PixelSploiting said:

Yes. Less about Mrs Jeanne Done and more about the universal stuff. Defender armor fitted to G9 Masculine. Works fine, no extra deformation in the chest. The sword is separate from the scabbard, the tassets are parented static props so they do not deform weirdly.

Thight protectors are very short because this is modeled to be used with the skirt.

Overall, very nice suit. It only needs a helmet and maybe gloves. There's plenty of Daz helmets to borrow and gloves weren't even always worn.

This PA has no difficulty jumping from functional wear to casual clothes to glamour and slinky ones.

Thank you, definitely makes me much more interested in that item and possibly the bundle it's in.

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,016
    edited March 2023

FenixPhoenix said:

Serene Night said:

I am going to buy her stuff, but Joan herself doesn't do anything for me. I also am limiting myself to as few gen 9 females as possible, I don't want the extra morphs, correctives and stuff causing g9 to lag.

I wish the promos showed some of the outfits fitted on men, I can use more armor but not if the breast area is profoundly female-appearing.

Here's the Swords Legacy Outfit fitted to a Male figure. The unfortunate thing is that it has high heels, so I replaced the foot part of the boots and swapped it with boots of dforce Reforged (hiding the shin part from this one). The scene crashed before I could do renders of the outfit without the "Dress" piece, which actually looks pretty good.

Ok, re-opened my scene to finish up rendering. So here's a look at the armor front and back:

Then here's what it looks like without the Dress Part (again ignore the mess of the boots, since I'm just basically kitbashing those to avoid the high heels):

I noticed the boots on the back looked weird when I was doing the previous renders and it turns out that the normal map for that part of the boots is reversed. So I fixed it. Here's what it looks like vs the fix:

And then here are some of the other pieces. The gloves are pretty cool.

SwordsLegacy-Male_BootsNormals.jpg
    1200 x 1115 - 456K
    SwordsLegacy-Pieces.jpg
    1200 x 1115 - 276K
    SwordsLegacy-Male_FrontBack.jpg
    1200 x 1115 - 384K
    SwordsLegacy-Male_FrontBack02.jpg
    1200 x 1115 - 375K
    Post edited by FenixPhoenix on
  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,248

The Defender armor looks like it holds the default female chest shape.

The Swords Legacy outfit looks okay until you take away the top armor and skirt, then you get the shrinkwrapped effect.

• The Defender armor isn't retaining default female chest shape. What it's doing is retaining bell-shaped cuirass shape regardless of whether it's worn by G9 Feminine or G9 Masculine. Which is exactly how a metal plate cuirass should behave, unlike 90% of Daz armors that magically reshape to breasts and pecs..

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

xyer0 said:

Her skin and features look good, but the eye bags cause me to wish for a maid of Orleans-aged woman, what with the name "Joan," and medieval armour. I, unlike many posters on these forums, need MORE young white women, not less. Still, as far as Genesis 9 Core Figures go, it appears diversity is for large corporations that can afford to go broke, not smaller companies in small industries.

Wasn't Joan of Arc in her teens when she was executed? ;) 

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,735

Since today is woman's day, I'm going to bring this up. I'm wondering if there are any female character artists on staff at DAZ. Except for Victoria 7, Victoria 9, Jaqueline 8, and Thorne characters, most of the female DAZ core characters are not particularly attractive and I've noticed in general, that women tend to create more attractive female characters than men. I noticed this in comic books a lot. They can create great sexy bodies, but not faces so much. Of course there are men who create gorgeous female characters but I find it kind of rare. Whenever I see a beautiful PA character, I automatically assume a female created it and I'm usually right. Sorry if this is off-topic but Im just stumped why the Daz core female characters are so unattractive and how really awful some of the makeup especially is. No woman would create the ugly makeup I've seen on some core characters! I just hope they get more female character creators on staff at DAZ.

• sidsid Posts: 396

It's tough, Wonderland, people's tastes differ and I find the core characters have a high representation of realistically attractive people. Ariana, Millawana, Jade, Freja 8, Tasha, TWOSRET (my absolute fav babe), Jinax, Victoria 8.1, and Leanne, for example, are all very beautiful to me, where's the ladies you mention I don't personally find that compellling, but can appreciate that they're nice for others.

My controversial 'attractive' wishlist figure is a tall skinny 90s Jodie Kidd shaped lady, but I imagine it may be challenging to promote a figure at that end of the BMI scale. (Maybe they could sell her as zombie supermodel :D)

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't find "Hollywood-type" females attractive, but rather plastic and fake looking. I'm not a fan of gobs of makeup, fake boobs, nose jobs, lip injections, Botox or anything like that. I'd rather populate my scenes with average looking people (tho I have done "glamour" images once in awhile...lol). So when someone says "attractive female" that can be anything really because it means different things to different people. I find average attractive. Realistic is attractive. I don't have a problem with Joan (tho, if they were going for Joan of Arc, then they're off on the age scale by at least 15 years ;)...lol).

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

knights had high heels though, to use with their stirrups

• Uhm, no. Medieval plate sabatons are flat boots. High heel for riding was brought from Persia a bit later.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,121

sid said:

It's tough, Wonderland, people's tastes differ and I find the core characters have a high representation of realistically attractive people. Ariana, Millawana, Jade, Freja 8, Tasha, TWOSRET (my absolute fav babe), Jinax, Victoria 8.1, and Leanne, for example, are all very beautiful to me, where's the ladies you mention I don't personally find that compellling, but can appreciate that they're nice for others.

I think there's absolutely no shortage of attractive core figures, so it all comes down to what one finds attractive.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,250

The armor looks better than what we've had for quite a while, but I'm not buying anything until there's a GC sale. We usually get one before a core character drops, but not this time.

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020

AllenArt said:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't find "Hollywood-type" females attractive, but rather plastic and fake looking. I'm not a fan of gobs of makeup, fake boobs, nose jobs, lip injections, Botox or anything like that. I'd rather populate my scenes with average looking people (tho I have done "glamour" images once in awhile...lol). So when someone says "attractive female" that can be anything really because it means different things to different people. I find average attractive. Realistic is attractive. I don't have a problem with Joan (tho, if they were going for Joan of Arc, then they're off on the age scale by at least 15 years ;)...lol).

Yeah, same. I have some implausibly flawless characters in my runtime and I have uses for them, but if 20-something boudoir shoot models with perfectly proportioned facial features were all I needed, I probably wouldn't collect many morphs at all. Most of the time, if I'm picking up a morph, it's because I want to add interesting character details. 

I think Joan is attractive. The main promo render for Cliff is IMO one of the most attractive male character images on the site. I honestly just kind of skim characters that have idealized features unless there's something else arresting about them, and they're not just doing the default vacant sultry gaze with parted lips. A lot of it is probably that they're not real people, but they look like Barbies to me and have about the same amount of charisma and sex appeal (YMMV there also, but for me it's zero).

• arne207arne207 Posts: 153
    edited March 2023

When I load her, I get something that looks different from the promos - especially the eyebrows. They look so "mean" that it is difficult to adjust them in a way that she doesn't look angry. I know I can change them, but that shouldn't be necessary, right? I've checked that no pose sliders are active.

12.png
    1788 x 882 - 1M
    Post edited by arne207 on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,022
    edited March 2023

WendyLuvsCatz said:

knights had high heels though, to use with their stirrups

Riding boots don't have that kind of heels at all though 

Post edited by Leana on
  • I've noticed armors from bundles support body shapes:

• JoanOfArc9_Body
    • JoanOfArc9_BodyElven

But there's only one Joan 9 body shape coming with the characters. Was something changed during production?

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,138
    lsoulrt said:

sid said:

https://www.daz3d.com/joan-9-hd

I kinda dig her thousand-yard, slightly crossed-eyed stare.

Picked her up with 2xPixie pose sets and the Daz+ monthly voucher and everything came to just over $26. Bundles didn't have anything for me personally, they seemed a bit small, but I imagine a lot of work goes into the armour.

First, I want to say nice picture, but this character looks generic and half assed (pardon my language),but it looks like it has no pizzazz and no soul, like it's was really really rushed so they can pushed it out to make a buck. 

I actually find that all white G9 core characters look like members from the same family
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,420

Gordig said:

sid said:

To me she doesn't look that old, but nor does she look like a teenager.

I think she works as a 15th century teenage peasant warrior.

Based on the promo pictures, I would say she's around 32-37, far from "middle aged" 

• sidsid Posts: 396

arne207 said:

When I load her, I get something that looks different from the promos - especially the eyebrows. They look so "mean" that it is difficult to adjust them in a way that she doesn't look angry. I know I can change them, but that shouldn't be necessary, right? I've checked that no pose sliders are active.

I could rendered the pictures I posted on the first page without issue, but now that you mention it, at the end of the session Daz kept crashing, and I could only use the preview window in clay mode (whatever Daz calls the grey mode) and in those few sessions before every crashed she did have very angry, heavy eyebrows in the preview. I just assumed it because my render machine is still in pieces.

If you restart your machine do you get the same issue? I wonder if there is something sticking the experssion in a weird place.

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,312

And again we get a young white woman.... Plus a rather uninteresting character that has already been seen a hundred times. Ok, so now also for G9... The slightly masculine features are the only thing that makes this face (which looks a bit too old for the historical Joan of Arc) more interesting, but this effect is achieved very easily and quickly with the G9 morphs.

The bundles are also largely uninteresting to me, but of course that's not a criterion. Only the stilettos with one of the armours drive me into a fit of laughter once again...

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

i think she looks like Joan of Arc would have looked. At least in my imagination. I don't know if it's actually known what she looks like. She's very young, very pretty, and mature way beyond her years. I will buy her (as always, eventually).

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,677

sid said:

arne207 said:

I could rendered the pictures I posted on the first page without issue, but now that you mention it, at the end of the session Daz kept crashing, and I could only use the preview window in clay mode (whatever Daz calls the grey mode) and in those few sessions before every crashed she did have very angry, heavy eyebrows in the preview. I just assumed it because my render machine is still in pieces.

If you restart your machine do you get the same issue? I wonder if there is something sticking the experssion in a weird place.

She looks like she heard what we said about her. Thanks for posting, guys. I'm not installing her until I hear otherwise. 

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,677

CHWT said:

I actually find that all white G9 core characters look like members from the same family

Ivar? Nikolai? Pixie? Josie? Thimor? Perhaps you left out a few words. 

• carlosgimperacarlosgimpera Posts: 82
    edited March 2023

Swords Legacy Outfit's texture pack (golden). 

Post edited by carlosgimpera on
  • CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,138
    edited March 2023
    xyer0 said:

CHWT said:

Ivar? Nikolai? Pixie? Josie? Thimor? Perhaps you left out a few words. 

Except M9, V9, Pixie and Josie. The rest are so easily recognizable as a G9 character, because they look like a variation of the default G9 figure. Just my two cents
    Post edited by CHWT on