can i create feathers with the hair tool.

how can you create feathers with the hair tool. I can only achieve the appearance of fur. is that possible. If yes, how does it work? i want to put some feathers on a dinosaur

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Here is what I would try.

Use hair to help model a few feathers.  Replicate the feathers on the dinosaur surface.

You can model a short thin cylinder with thin vertical shading domains on opposite sides of its upper length. Use the hair tool to place hair on the shading domains and adjust the number of hairs in the hair modeler and hair density in the hair shader until you get the look you want for a single feather.  You can save a few slightly altered versions of this feather (shape and colors) for variety.  Then replicate the feathers on the surface of the dinosaur.  You might want to place the feathers by shading domains.  Or, for more control, you can paint a black / white distribution map on the model using the 3D paint tool.

• KhoeKhoe Posts: 289

Oh Thanks  ------- Great Tips

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,204

Another note:

I you, say, model the spine of the feather - just something really simple, but with easy-to-select sides along the spine for growing hair, then use the Hair room to add some guide hairs (I'd use the Fur setting for the hair to make feathers)

Now you'll have indvidual and grouped hair sets that you ca drag in and replicate to the surface according to a map you make for placement.

Or you could also just place them by hand, parenting them to the proper body part, if that works okay.

I like saving presets of my various things to my browser, and then try a bunch of different techniques using them.

Definitely check out JonStark's Carrara Dynamic Hair Course  if you haven't already. He gives excellent details on many various features of the hair that really helps to wrap your head around that various parameters and setting ;)

thanks for the information i will maybe mix up all testing. At the moment I have adjusted the hair room to fur and thick hair, that's the result. I think it is even better with adjusting the amount of hair etc. I am still enthusiastic about Carrara even after so many years. It is a pity that it will not be further developed.

Repti 3.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 338K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795

@khoe looking good... great use of the hair room yes

I reckon a feather making side render challenge would be cool... see what everyone can come up with the use of feathers using the hair room cool

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

WendyLuvsCatz said:

anything grows 

http://www.digitalcarversguild.com/plugin.php?ProductId=5

I forgot about this tool. Thanks for reminding me... it will solve a big problem I an having with a terrain.

heartheartheart yes  Silene

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,796
    edited May 2021

Octane render you can change the actual UV of the hair to not match the pelt but strand length.

Since Philemo's mesh tool also does this I wonder if it's possible to do in Carrara under the hood.

Philemo conversion with feather from a quill in my runtime

feather.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 185K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited May 2021

middle - hair

either side - hair mesh conversions

foxglovehair.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 281K
    foxglove.png
    1068 x 1726 - 3M

Khoe - looking good.  A lot will depend on the degree of detail you will be looking for (close-ups in a still frame? more distant shot in an animation?).  

Wendy - really cool example applying Philemo's mesh tool.  One of my favorite tools.  I should have thought of it.

i make in most time still Frame only. I think Animation teh Rendertime is to long.

I love what you did with it! 

Repti looks Awesome!

Thanks
    i want make in father more Colors. in the next step :)

Ps.
    I love your Woodlands :)  for my Dinos ;)

yes

the last Image from my tests.  I'm Happy  and Thanks for Help

Repti 6.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 348K

Looks Fantastic! Love it!!!

Khoe said:

the last Image from my tests.  I'm Happy  and Thanks for Help

Really cool dino.  I like the effect you got with the hair.

Carrara is still a super program even after so many years. It's a shame that there are no updates. especially no adjustments for Mac OS
    thanks Diomede
    thanks Dartanbeck

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited May 2021

Khoe, your dino reminds me of a book series I read: The Diaries of Nicholas Oldman.  Mike Atkinson is a writer from Linconshire, England who wrote a 3 book series of a time traveller who was accidentally sent back to the South America 60 million years ago.  He manages to survivie, then thrive and ends up building a tropical home-base, domesticates a few of the dinosaurs to pull travois/carts, and adopts and raises one from an egg who becomes his personal aircraft.  He also keeps etched bone diaries which he deposits in tarpits. These are later discovered by palaeontogolists which is how his story comes into the 20th century.  Read threm they are great fun, not too heavy or overly serious, evven the over-the-top baddies. 

Anyways, I had to morph one of AM's dinos for a quickie story sketch idea to show what I thought Nicholas looked like (Michael 5) as I did recommend DS and Carrara to Mike, but I don't know if he ended up trying them out. Your dino brought back memories of three really fun books! (on Amazon). 

Nicely done dino with feathers by the way!yes

laugh  Silene

Nick.png
    533 x 651 - 679K
    Post edited by SileneUK on
  • With Carrara Hair tool you can only do fur or hair. For feathers i would model the shaft and add hairs to it on two sides and brush them in the direction i want it.

But i guess it would be easier just to model them and use feather textures like you use them for hair, that would give you feathers too and should be easier and faster than with hair tool.

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 619

WendyLuvsCatz said:

anything grows 

Hi Wendy,

Do you happen to know how to install into DAZ?

I downloaded his files for both DAZ and Carrera, but there are only install instructions for Carrera, and my Carrera is on the fritz due to a conflict with an old Adessa tablet driver file.

Thanks in advance,

Ryuu

edited March 2023

Ryuu@AMcCF said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

anything grows 

Hi Wendy,

Do you happen to know how to install into DAZ?

I downloaded his files for both DAZ and Carrera, but there are only install instructions for Carrera, and my Carrera is on the fritz due to a conflict with an old Adessa tablet driver file.

Thanks in advance,

Ryuu

I didn't know you could even install it into DAZ blush 

• RuudLRuudL Posts: 189
    edited March 2023

There is no DAZ version of Anything Grows!

The only DAZ plugin from DCG is Ground Control, but that is a beta version.

http://digitalcarversguild.com/dazstudioplugins.php

Post edited by RuudL on

RuudL said:

Ah, I must have misread his page then.

I do wish I could use my Carrera again. It's an excellent application for creating morphs and figures, but I've not been able to use it ever since I tried to connect a digitizer tablet and it replaced my mouse driver. Now, Carrara instantly crashes whenever I try to open it. The only option available for me to use anymore is Blender.

I was hoping to figure out how to create feathers using the strandbased hair system, and serching the DAZ forums for the topic led me to this thread.

Ryuu@AMcCF said:

RuudL said:

Ah, I must have misread his page then.

I do wish I could use my Carrera again. It's an excellent application for creating morphs and figures, but I've not been able to use it ever since I tried to connect a digitizer tablet and it replaced my mouse driver. Now, Carrara instantly crashes whenever I try to open it. The only option available for me to use anymore is Blender.

I was hoping to figure out how to create feathers using the strandbased hair system, and serching the DAZ forums for the topic led me to this thread.

there is a fix for that but the mods won't sticky it in the forum

will try and find it

WendyLuvsCatz said:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/548131/carrara-crashes-with-huion-tablet-workaround

Thanks Wendy!

Yes, while I was looking for help on this, I saw the Hurion tablets apparently created the same problems as my Adesso, but there wasn't a workaround for either then. I'll give this a shot.

Yeah! I've got my Carrera back!

Thank you so much, Wendy!!

So, I started playing around with the DCG/AnythingGrows, and got some peliminary results.

I exported a modified G8M-Krow character to Carrera. With the G8.1 figures, there are tons more bodyparts getting exported in the .obj file--something like 70 Head body parts.

Some promising results already from playing with the plugin, but it will take LOTS of tweeking to get the "feathers" to lay down over the Figure mesh. Also, I need to figure out how to separate the Hair segments from the Figure's base colors and texture them to look more like feathers.

And finally, I don't see how I can export ONLY the feathers back to DAZ without dragging the copy of the original mesh and the have to deal with all the alterations of the textures done in Carrera to make the feathers look like I want. Plus, all myriad body part exports that will be needed for each of the Hair groups....

I'm also afraid I've been away from Carrera for so long that I've forgotten many of the tricks and skills I once possessed with it.

Okay, I have to appologize. Trying to figure out how to turn Hair->Feathers in Carrera is WAY beyond my meager skill-levels, so that effort is being moved to a back burner somewhere.

OTOH, I WAS able to figure out UltrascatterPro well enough to get this fellow's body feathers to lay down close to his skin in DAZ--at least I used Carrera to create the template for the feather....cheeky

While this is just a static pose, I have some ideas about how to tie instances to the body sections for posing. A few more days to work out the details....