Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 9

Comments

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858
    edited December 1969

@ David, wow the caustic effect looks perfect now! ....well to me anyway, amazing looking renders, great work :)

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Wow... Great work on the caustics David and super clouds from Electro-Elvis.
    Nice use of the effects from Tim and Fishtales.

I've got nothing pretty to show as I'm working on an interior design job at the moment. But I have been working on some Bryce elements for it so here we have:

Some spotlights
    A Mannequin
    Another attempt from me to create a rusty metal material (shape supplied by David Brinnen.

MaterialRust.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 352K
    Manequin.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 303K
    TriLights.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 142K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,111
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - nice golden abstract. Good example of the HT driven ambient reflection mapping.

@Sean Riesch - great scene.

@dragonfall1221 - great castle and garden scene.

@Tim - great landscapes and underwater.

@vivien1 - very nice scene.

@Sandy - nice bridge the dragon. Interesting light ray examples.

@electro-elvis - the volumetric clouds look great.

@Dave - nice renders.

I have nothing new though I've been working for the Bryce TE the last weak.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Dave, as ever your material and lighting control is exemplary!

Here's another "quick" underwater testing from me. With added volume grass, took eight hours.

Up69_40_v8.jpg
    850 x 850 - 798K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

David your wings3D objects are a hit with IRAY in Daz Studio

twisted-sphere.jpg
    1007 x 850 - 501K
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    David your wings3D objects are a hit with IRAY in Daz Studio

Aye, render engines like Iray and Octane (which I am more familiar with) do lend themselves nicely to the easier creation of photo-realistic renders and if you have a meaty GPU can be astonishingly swift. The only real limitation I've found with Octane is that there isn't much scope to break the rules, it is good as what it does and what it does it does fast, but unless you are prepared for a mighty tussle that is all you get. Just for my own amusement I've played, "recreate the Bryce scene in Octane" and then the other way around. Instead of just playing to each ones strengths, I learned a lot more from their weaknesses.

But don't get me wrong, I do like a bit of Octane action http://davidbrinnen.deviantart.com/art/Waltzers-525564988 every now and again. And I do recognise the strengths of these unbaised render engines. I'm just saying they are not the "be all and end all" to me as they are to others.

Renders... Bryce and then Octane,

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdD0KanwWW8&feature=youtu.be

HDRI: Horo's Garage Closed

Octane uses a Bryce exported spherical map of Horo's HDRI

16_to_12_torus_knot_strip_octane1_by_davidbrinnen-d87eyw8.jpg
    973 x 821 - 193K
    wings_3d_16_12_torus_knot_strip_tut_by_davidbrinnen-d87exqp.jpg
    889 x 500 - 196K
  • vivienvivien Posts: 184
    edited December 1969

mermaid - The farmhouse is from archive3d, it is quite a useful website for models.

Sandy - Definitely the scene without the castle and softer rays is a much nicer option

Electro-elvis - Love your volumetric clouds. So fluffy and realistic. They are so well done.

Tim Bateman. Fantastic underwater scene. The detail of the ground and the bubbles is just amazing.

David - A selection of fabulous underwater scenes. And the icing on the cake with your last render with the addition of the seaweed. Impresive.

The Savage- Awesome trio... I really like the material of the third one

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,988
    edited April 2015

Sandy- I really like the ray effect without the castle. Thanks

Electro-elvis – wow the cloudscape is awesome.

Tim- great underwater render

David – the experiments with the underwater scenes are interesting.

Dave- as usual great renders.

Horo- thanks

Vivien-thanks for the info. Archive 3D is one of my fav spots for models, I can only “afford” freebies. ;-) :-)

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • Bonito LilBonito Lil Posts: 72
    edited December 1969

I produced this image for the science fiction challenge but, when I was nearly done, I realized that, unless you are familiar with the Discworld novels, it would make no sense at all thematically. After two weeks of work, however, I had to show it off somewhere!

By the way, did y'all know that xtree has a sale on for individual models? $14.95 or thereabouts. That's how I got the english oak that is prominent in this image. Goblins from the DAZ emporium, ditto LoRez skellington and horse, which I've had for some time. I used the "lake" HDRi from one of Horo's collections, probably wrongly. Everything else is Bryce content, inevitably tweaked.

Title: GOOD MORNING

discworld.jpg
    1000 x 600 - 487K
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 489
    edited December 1969

asterlil said:
    I produced this image for the science fiction challenge but, when I was nearly done, I realized that, unless you are familiar with the Discworld novels, it would make no sense at all thematically. After two weeks of work, however, I had to show it off somewhere!

Title: GOOD MORNING

This is a nice piece of work and regardless of whether anyone has heard of the novels, IMO, it fits the sci-fi theme and you should reconsider entering it into the contest. Just my $.02, but I would add it there.

• Bonito LilBonito Lil Posts: 72
    edited December 1969

@fencepost, I'm sure I have disqualified it by posting it here. But that's OK. As usual, I learned a lot by creating it. :-)

edited December 1969

Working on indoor scenes was doing my nut... So I had to do a quick landscape in the big outdoors.

StoneTriangle.jpg
    1666 x 975 - 697K
    edited December 1969

Asterlil - lovely render it fits the challenge theme. I don't think you are disqualified posting it in this thread, the entry is only disqualified if its posted on other forums and/or galleries. that includes the other Daz forums and galleries. Hopefully Chohole will confirm this.

Dave - another stunning render.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited April 2015

I agree. We just like it kept away from areas where the judges may see it before judging time. They are very good and don't check the WIP thread, and rarely look at this one either :roll:

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

I had some fun with glass material testing today, this is the one i liked the most so i thought i would share :)

Buda_staue_2.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 133K
    edited December 1969

@Rareth - nice Iray render, the backdrop looks a bit queer, like a blurred pixelised image. Like David, I experimented with Octane and IRay but unlike David, not very much. As much as I like unbiased render engines for their ability to render a scene truly without cheating, I'm not convinced that it is the final answer. Visual art is more than that. A "cheating" biased render engine has definitely its merits.

@David - both renders look great. It depends on what the artist intended the shape to appear like to make a judgement which one is better.

@asterlil - I like your Diskworld (of which I read more than 30 books) image very much. It's more on the fantasy than the science fiction side. But then, planets and moons aren't science fiction neither, just space scenes. It's a question how the theme is interpreted.

@Dave - your quick landscapes are always beautiful.

@Tim - looking nice. Another aspect ratio to show off a bit of the shadow and "caustics" would be probably an improvement.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited December 1969

Brought the Space Station over from DAZ and added it to an old scene. Changed the lighting and the camera to see how it looked.

Space Station

space-station-005.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 461K
    space-station-003.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 491K
    space-station-002.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 478K
    edited December 1969

Fun with Bryce Skies.

Peninsular.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 307K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Rareth - nice Iray render, the backdrop looks a bit queer, like a blurred pixelised image. Like David, I experimented with Octane and IRay but unlike David, not very much. As much as I like unbiased render engines for their ability to render a scene truly without cheating, I'm not convinced that it is the final answer. Visual art is more than that. A "cheating" biased render engine has definitely its merits.

@David - both renders look great. It depends on what the artist intended the shape to appear like to make a judgement which one is better.

@asterlil - I like your Diskworld (of which I read more than 30 books) image very much. It's more on the fantasy than the science fiction side. But then, planets and moons aren't science fiction neither, just space scenes. It's a question how the theme is interpreted.

@Dave - your quick landscapes are always beautiful.

@Tim - looking nice. Another aspect ratio to show off a bit of the shadow and "caustics" would be probably an improvement.

The Backdrop is one of the included DAZ Bryce "HDRI" *.hdr files, the IRAY renderer has the ability to load an HDRI or IBL image as a light / background environment map. so the resolution is waaaay off. I did another one of the same object "inside" with no ibl lighting.

twisted-sphere2.jpg
    1007 x 850 - 579K
    edited December 1969

@Sandy - great space scene.

@Dave - love the landscape, interesting sky.

@Rareth - I see. Yes, the size of the environment map or HDRI rendered as backdrop is critical. My meager experiments I made with Iray and Octane were also with HDRI. In fact, I had got myself Octane last year just to see how IBL works. Your render looks great.

edited December 1969

Tim – a very nice render

Sandy – I love the Space station renders

Dave – your renders are so inspiring.

Rareth – interesting render

• vivienvivien Posts: 184
    edited December 1969

Asterlil - Sci-fi or not. I think it is a great scene.

Dave - Love the lighting of your landscapes.. Beautiful work

Tim - Great looking glass. can you do jade as well?

Sandy. You did a very nice job on the space station.

Rareth - Intricate and lovely render.

I got inspired seeing all the underwater renders so I thought I would give it a go.
    So after painstakingly following David Brinnen tutorial to the best of my ability and 12 hours of render. ( By the way my computer is powered by mice on wheels) here is the result.

under_the_sea_1.jpg
    700 x 700 - 83K
    edited April 2015

@ Vivien1, thanks, and i was actually trying to make a believable jade material :) ...i just ended up with that by accident :) ...so a happy mistake you could say!!!

also very nice underwater scene, great job :)

Post edited by Tim82 on
    edited December 1969

I thought i would share my first iray render...im pretty happy with it considering it is my first go :)

iray_Dragon_test_1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 319K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited April 2015

Haven't done anything for ages, so pulled up an old wip...still not happy, but called it.

Title: Lake swimming.

Jay

LakeSwimming.jpg
    1129 x 689 - 1M
    Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

More fun with Bryce skies...

Peninsular3ALT.jpg
    1666 x 750 - 286K
    edited April 2015

Vivien-lovely underwater scene

Tim – nice IRay render

Jay- yes it has been a while, nice underwater render.

Dave – another cool render

Surreal scene rendered following Bryce 7.1 Pro - setting up a sky with ambient HDRI - by David Brinnen. I used Horo’s Hdri Filigree2c_3840

scene11-ambienthdri.jpg
    600 x 600 - 34K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

Mostly I've been digging trenches this week, except today which was replacing a roof on an outbuilding. All healthy outdoors type works, but leaving me too tired to do much Bryce. I have however set up this little animation. I did it frame by frame rather than using any of Bryce's inbuilt animation features. Mostly because I don't know them very well.

Here's the animation Caustic animation using rendered scenes from Bryce

And here is a still... I notice that the conversion to mp4 and then furthermore uploading to youtube seems to have really pushed the contrast up for some reason.

Up_anim_frame1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 385K
    edited December 1969

@vivien1 - that's quite a nice looking underwater scene.

@Tim - dragon looks nice.

@Jay - nicely done. Surface looks a bit odd to me.

@Dave - again very nice mood.

@mermaid010 - very nice combination, looks great.

@David - looking good, animation is great.

I've been busy with my terrain editor filter program and now working on the doc. The two renders use the same terrain, essentially a combination of Mordor and Ridges both in 4096 planetary resolution. Going through 14 manipulation steps to combine them was done in less than a minute. The first is lit by the sun with soft shadows and the HDRI to provide the ambient light, the second is lit by the HDRI and a tiny bit of sun.

ExDoc32.jpg
    1000 x 625 - 116K
    ExDoc31.jpg
    1000 x 625 - 154K
    edited December 1969

Horo said:

@David - looking good, animation is great.

I've been busy with my terrain editor filter program and now working on the doc. The two renders use the same terrain, essentially a combination of Mordor and Ridges both in 4096 planetary resolution. Going through 14 manipulation steps to combine them was done in less than a minute. The first is lit by the sun with soft shadows and the HDRI to provide the ambient light, the second is lit by the HDRI and a tiny bit of sun.

Thank you. I've not tried much animation, but I was curious what would happen given the way the scene was setup I thought if anything showed the limitations of the effects it would be seeing it animated. What it could really do with I think is some movement on the little "bubbles". But otherwise I was pleased with the results and it was something I could set up while I was otherwise engaged. Since this last week has been very full of digging, I didn't have much time to play with Bryce, so I let Bryce and my PC process these renders instead.

Your terrains look very promising, I don't know if it is one or many, but they do look very detailed and have a great sense of scale and drama, putting me very much in mind of something like "The misty mountains" as depicted in illustrations for the Hobbit or the Lord of the Rings, style of thing. More intense digging beckons for the following week but I will continue to monitor the forum for developments.

This discussion has been closed.