[Released] Gescon, CSG plugin for Daz Studio [commercial]

123457»

Comments

• I'd like to create a circular half stage like this image (not the legs, just the base). Can one do it with Gescon, and if yes how? I was thinking creating it from a cylinder primitive, but no idea how.

Thanks in advance.

Circular Half.jpg
    436 x 199 - 28K
  • AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,382

DoctorJellybean said:

I'd like to create a circular half stage like this image (not the legs, just the base). Can one do it with Gescon, and if yes how? I was thinking creating it from a cylinder primitive, but no idea how.

Thanks in advance.

Yes.

Create two cylinder primitives, with different diameters. Do a difference operation to cut the larger cylinder with the smaller one. Then, do another difference operation between the first result and a cube of the proper size to get the half stage. 

You can also do the difference operations in one step by selecting first the larger cylinder as node "A" and then the other cylinder and the cube as "B".nodes.

• Alberto said:

DoctorJellybean said:

I'd like to create a circular half stage like this image (not the legs, just the base). Can one do it with Gescon, and if yes how? I was thinking creating it from a cylinder primitive, but no idea how.

Thanks in advance.

Yes.

Create two cylinder primitives, with different diameters. Do a difference operation to cut the larger cylinder with the smaller one. Then, do another difference operation between the first result and a cube of the proper size to get the half stage. 

You can also do the difference operations in one step by selecting first the larger cylinder as node "A" and then the other cylinder and the cube as "B".nodes.

Thank you. I tried it, and ended up with a mess. This is what I want, may have to try something else.

Seating.jpg
    1472 x 521 - 114K

Try this:

Create three concentric cylinders:

Move the internal cylinders like in the image:

Create three boxes of the same height as the cylinders. Position them like in the next two images.

Select the gray cylinder and click on the Difference button.

Click on the Difference button again (with nothing selected). The plugin will ask for the B nodes. Select all, except the gray cylinder.

Click in Accept to get the result:

In my example, the settings in the Gescon Pane were:

• Precision: 4.0
    • Surface Adaptivity: 0.005

The remaining settings were the default. You can change the settings to your needs.

Attached is a duf with the arrangement of the primitives.

Stepped1.jpg
    810 x 627 - 39K
    Stepped2.jpg
    810 x 627 - 25K
    Stepped3.jpg
    810 x 627 - 37K
    Stepped4.jpg
    810 x 627 - 58K
    Stepped5.jpg
    810 x 627 - 42K
    Nodes B.jpg
    436 x 451 - 28K
    duf
    duf
    terrace.duf
  • Thank you very much!

• johnbpjohnbp Posts: 55

I hate it when someone bumps an old thread and I see something I must buy immediately.  Damn... take my money and thanks for all of your must have tools!

DoctorJellybean said:

Thank you very much!

You're welcome!

johnbp said:

I hate it when someone bumps an old thread and I see something I must buy immediately.  Damn... take my money and thanks for all of your must have tools!

Thank you. smiley

• Difference between two cylinders, then shaded the inner wall, lots of distortions. Is there any way to create a cleaner UV?

gescon_tunnel.png
    1166 x 852 - 2M

pixelquack said:

Difference between two cylinders, then shaded the inner wall, lots of distortions. Is there any way to create a cleaner UV?

Before doing the Gescon operation, rotate the two cylinders so their lateral sides are vertical (like in the image). Then select the Cylindrical UV map projection and do the operation. The projection depends on the orientation of the objects.

cylinders.jpg
    415 x 421 - 24K
  • pixelquackpixelquack Posts: 264
    edited February 2023

Yes, that works indeed, thanks. I have a hard time grokking the overall concept, could you illustrate -- a quick sketch suffices -- the projection types a bit?

One other issue: today I bought "Street of Tondo", the main street is a closed mesh consisting of several meshes fused into one object. I wanted to poke a hole into the street, but no matter what I do, creating the difference by first selecting the street prop, then the cylinder results in those blobby leftovers as seen in the pics. 

I tried various projections and precision/adaptivity values and am not getting anywhere. Appreciate some help.

gescon_tondo2.png
    1612 x 1600 - 470K
    gescon_tondo3.png
    1478 x 630 - 20K
    Post edited by pixelquack on

When using large objects, the maximum precision value (12) might not be enough. In this case, try to scale down the object before doing the operation (later, you can resize the result).

If this doesn't work, please upload a screenshot of the Scene pane and another of the viewport using the Wireframe DrawStyle.

• What I'm trying to create is a cutout in a cube, so I do the difference between 2 cubes, with the 2nd cube slightly smaller and raised so that the one side is still covered. I then end up a cube with rounded edges instead of clean and sharp like a cube.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,129

DoctorJellybean said:

What I'm trying to create is a cutout in a cube, so I do the difference between 2 cubes, with the 2nd cube slightly smaller and raised so that the one side is still covered. I then end up a cube with rounded edges instead of clean and sharp like a cube.

I don't know if you can get it perfectly sharp on the edges.

Did you select Cubic UV map projection?
    Did you try increasing the Precision? (don't go wild; it will take a long time to process.)

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,890
    edited August 2023

barbult said:

DoctorJellybean said:

What I'm trying to create is a cutout in a cube, so I do the difference between 2 cubes, with the 2nd cube slightly smaller and raised so that the one side is still covered. I then end up a cube with rounded edges instead of clean and sharp like a cube.

I don't know if you can get it perfectly sharp on the edges.

Did you select Cubic UV map projection?
    Did you try increasing the Precision? (don't go wild; it will take a long time to process.)

Yes for Cubic UV map projection. The Precision I left at the default

Edit: Setting it to 4 solved it. Thank you for suggesting increasing it.

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on
  • LoonyLoony Posts: 1,801

Gordig said:

Georgehaze said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like most (maybe not all) of what this offeres is already available in Bryce, which DAZ gives away for free.

Other than working as a module within DAZ Studio, am I missing something?

Most of Alberto's products in general focus on bring functionality into Daz Studio that has long existed in other software. I'm comfortable working in C4D (and, to a lesser extent, Houdini), so I have no problem working in other apps to accomplish what I want, so I have little use for what he offers. The same is not true of every other DS user, so there is definitely still value for people who those who don't want to leave DS or learn other programs.

Exactly me, I only leave Daz3D for Gimp, but I don't use any other modeling software.

I make 90% of editing with meshgrabber and the Geoeditor and my Art is great ^_^

I just would like a tool like Substance Painter, I want to draw inside of Daz3D sutdio on the clothes to make cute designs or on the body or on objects.

I don't know how complicated the import/export would be with substance painter, I also don't know if there does any other software excist who can do that.

• mikethe3dguymikethe3dguy Posts: 515
    edited November 2023

Alberto,

I'm doing a fracture operation and trying to get a shape to fracture more in longer, vertical pieces, to simulate wood splintering along the grain. I'm using cutter 7 which is that elongated one. I have tried positioning the cutter itself vertically, but that's only given me limited success. Is there anything else I can do to get closer to my goal? Can rotating the points node to different orientations have any effect?

Thanks

SOLVED. Edit: I pretty much figured it out - just disabled rotations and increased the number of points.

Post edited by mikethe3dguy on