[Released] Gescon, CSG plugin for Daz Studio [commercial]

12346»

Comments

• HavosHavos Posts: 4,872

Bear in mind that the end result of using this plug in is an static object mesh, so even if you can use it on clothing, there is no way for a character to continue to wear it as all the rigging will be lost. In theory you could dforce it, but you need to tweak the parameters to reduce the final poly count, as sometimes it can be very high if you want good precision.

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,434

Oh yes. I didn't think of that. Make sure your pose is final as the clothing will get reeaaallly stiff once it's Gesconed.

• Haruki790Haruki790 Posts: 47

Oh my I never thought of that, good to know - thanks for the tips!

• mcorrmcorr Posts: 952
    edited August 2021

Havos said:

Here is my first real world usage of this plug-in. I needed an angle bracket for a DIY picture pack for our game I am working on. I could not find a suitable photo, or 3D model of one, so I knocked up a quick one using this plug-in. Only 5-10 mins work. I know you could do the same in a modeller easily, but it was nice to do all the work in Daz Studio.

looking at this render makes me think that it would be very useful if we could get a bevel around the edges of a, for example, hole punch.

Post edited by mcorr on
  • mcorrmcorr Posts: 952

For what it is worth: I have found that applying multiple operations on a mesh will increase the processing times substantially, but when that same mesh is exported as an obj, then reimported as an obj, the plug-in processes a new/additional operation lightening fast.

• Okay, maybe I'm missing something.  I have a fixture -- say, a free-standing sink -- that is a non-seperate part of the rest of a whole structure -- say. the wall and the floor, existing that way because the maker of that product made all of that construct be one single object, rather than making the sink a distinct object unto itself.  I want to slice the sink off at the base, so that it becomes a separate object, so that I can then move the sink a couple of feet to the left in the scene.  I don't see an obvious way to do that in Gescon.  I placed out a stretched cube, so that it completely enclosed the sink, then selected the structure that included the sink, and selected the cube, and tried to do Intersaction on that, and when Gescon then told me to subsequently select one of these objects as item B, it didn't do anything noticeable, i.e. I didn't wind up with another split-off object showing up in Scene pane.  Clearly I'm doing this wrong, but I don't know how else to go about this.  Maybe I should be trying this with a plane-prim instead?

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,632

Best guess, it's not a closed mesh.

• Just bought this.
    Do we install both of these?
    Or just one of them depending on our version of Daz (I'm using 4.12)

Captura de ecrã 2021-09-27 162337.jpg
    1895 x 74 - 20K
  • AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,129

psfilipe said:

Just bought this.
    Do we install both of these?
    Or just one of them depending on our version of Daz (I'm using 4.12)

Install both. One is the plugin, and the other is some content (cutters).

• Alberto said:

Thank you for the clarification, Alberto.

psfilipe said:

Alberto said:

Thank you for the clarification, Alberto.

You're welcome! 

• Just purchased Gescon: Constructive Solid Geometry and using it with Daz Studio 4.16 on Windows 10 (64 bit).
    Seems to work, creates union or difference of simple primatives, but selecting newly created geometry in scene window cause program to crash with following error:
    DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\abGescon.dll" at 0033:00000000590DC270, getPluginDefinition()+60624 byte(s)

Any advice?

wschwind said:

Just purchased Gescon: Constructive Solid Geometry and using it with Daz Studio 4.16 on Windows 10 (64 bit).
    Seems to work, creates union or difference of simple primatives, but selecting newly created geometry in scene window cause program to crash with following error:
    DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\abGescon.dll" at 0033:00000000590DC270, getPluginDefinition()+60624 byte(s)

Any advice?

Only by selecting the new geometry?

What objects were you using? 

• TGSNTTGSNT Posts: 1,110

I really like this, but it doesn't seem to work with the thickener plug-in as expected . If I use thickener to make a wall in an existing building prop or interior into closed geometry, for example, i can't get it to work with Gescon for "difference" to make a hole in the wall. It will work for union but nothing else. I've tried to thicken several objects and none seem to work. 

TGSNT said:

I really like this, but it doesn't seem to work with the thickener plug-in as expected . If I use thickener to make a wall in an existing building prop or interior into closed geometry, for example, i can't get it to work with Gescon for "difference" to make a hole in the wall. It will work for union but nothing else. I've tried to thicken several objects and none seem to work. 

When the thickness is too small, Gescon could not detect the geometry, unless you increase the precision. Try it, and let me know if this doesn't work, please.

• MRZ2KMRZ2K Posts: 5

Has anyone else had problems getting GESCON to work?  I installed it using DIM and there was no discernible change to my DAZ Studio layout -- no additional options or tabs appeared.  I couldn't use it at all because it simply didn't appear in the program.  

Any thoughts anyone may have as to how to correct this would be welcome.  : )

• Did you restart Daz Studio after installing? Have you checked its status in Help>About Installed Plug-ins?

MRZ2K said:

Has anyone else had problems getting GESCON to work?  I installed it using DIM and there was no discernible change to my DAZ Studio layout -- no additional options or tabs appeared.  I couldn't use it at all because it simply didn't appear in the program.  

Did you activate the plugin with your Serial Number? 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 18,520

The Daz Studio layout will not automatically change after installing a new plugin. You need to go to the Window menu and select Panes (Tabs) and then Gescon. That will open the pane for the Gescon plugin. Then you can dock that pane if you wnat to.

Window Panes Gescon.jpg
    343 x 494 - 33K

No, I had no idea that was necessary ...    :O

I haven't had to do that with other plugins that I am aware of ... any guidance as to where to find the serial number / perform the activation would be much appreciated!   : )

Alberto said:

MRZ2K said:

I'll give that a try, thanks!  : )

barbult said:

The Daz Studio layout will not automatically change after installing a new plugin. You need to go to the Window menu and select Panes (Tabs) and then Gescon. That will open the pane for the Gescon plugin. Then you can dock that pane if you wnat to.

MRZ2K said:

No, I had no idea that was necessary ...    :O

I haven't had to do that with other plugins that I am aware of ... any guidance as to where to find the serial number / perform the activation would be much appreciated!   : )

Alberto said:

MRZ2K said:

Scripts don't need registering, but plugins usually do.

You can see the instructions for activating the product in the manual. This is in the Daz Studio folder of installation:
    "/DAZStudio4/docs/Plugins/Gescon Constructive Solid Geometry/Gescon Constructive Solid Geometry Manual.pdf"

Or you can see this comment: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3916516/#Comment_3916516 

(Your serial number is here https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/serialnumbers)

Alberto / barbult, the guidance in the product manual and in your posts was all very helpful, and worked perfectly.  The plugin is working fine now.    Thanks!  

MRZ2K said:

Alberto / barbult, the guidance in the product manual and in your posts was all very helpful, and worked perfectly.  The plugin is working fine now.    Thanks!  

You're welcome! 

• pighelmetpighelmet Posts: 16
    edited April 18

EDIT: Solved. I had misplaced some files during reinstallation (DIM pointed to wrong directory). All fixed!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I reinstalled Daz Studio after a hardware change and installed Gescon Constructive Solid Geometry via DIM. Daz Studio is located on my D: drive (Windows 10). When I start Daz Studio (v4.0.20.2) now, I get a series of error messages before DS starts up that seem to have to do with Gescon (screenshots attached). The Gescon plugin is checked in the plugins panel, and the indicator is green. Gescon shows up in the Panes menu. When I look in the indicated folder, there is no /Gescon in /Libs. If I uncheck the Gescon plugin, the warning goes away. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times, stopping and restarting DS every time and rebooting my computer, with the same result.

Any way to get rid of this error and message? Thank you for any help.

GesconError.png
    521 x 119 - 27K
    GesconOperationsEngine.png
    295 x 149 - 40K
    Post edited by pighelmet on