IK Chain Question (Solved)

DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,223
edited February 2023 in Daz Studio Discussion

I was under the impression that, if I created an IK Chain on a hand (and enabled it) that I could use it to have the hand follow where I place it (the IK null thingy) Evidently, this is not the case.

Is there a way to do that? 

Here's what I'm trying to do:

For a car chase animation, I'd like to have one hand follow the steering wheel's rotation. 

For this one I did it all through key frame animation, which is fine, but there has to be an easier way.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,223

I created a Null and attached it to the steering wheel where I had the hand placed (aligned the Null to the hand after parenting it to the steering wheel)

Then I added an IK Chain to the hand, and then parented the IK null to the null on the steering wheel.

The IK null followed the steering wheel fine, but the hand didn't stay with the IK Null at all. Hmmmm... why is that?

I tried adding the Collar to the chain as the end point - still wouldn't work. IK must not work that way, eh?

Sorry... I'm a noob at using IK chains - obviously

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,756
    edited February 2023

Maybe you can use LimbStick. It's pretty similar to IK but has its own calculation method I believe.

I ever tried it though I'm not an animator. It really works well. Only some tiny movements need to be added to the frames for palms and fingers to make it more natural~

Post edited by crosswind on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,154
    edited February 2023

The trick with the daz ik-chains is you need to make 2 nulls (I use primitives instead and just make them invisible easier for me to work with primitives.)

the first thing Place/parent one null on the hand and another null null on the steering wheel where the hand goes.and then create your ik-chain's by clicking on the null and then create. and label it hand, . this way when you want to pin/unpin , or connect or break the chain node along the timeline you can do it in the timeline properties menu, just remember to manually create a keyframe on the place you want the Ik-hcain interact

I did this trick a number of times for a number of props also you can look into 3DU's  limbsticks https://www.daz3d.com/limbstick-for-genesis-3-+-8  it goes about the same process I describe works great it has a one click script once you get your nulls in places.  I have used this method for other things like numb-cuks, and swords, dildo's etc.

but mostly for steering wheels and bike peddles  like in this animated short i did as a demo of limbstik 

Post edited by Ivy on
  • Dartanbeck said:

I created a Null and attached it to the steering wheel where I had the hand placed (aligned the Null to the hand after parenting it to the steering wheel)

Then I added an IK Chain to the hand, and then parented the IK null to the null on the steering wheel.

The IK null followed the steering wheel fine, but the hand didn't stay with the IK Null at all. Hmmmm... why is that?

I tried adding the Collar to the chain as the end point - still wouldn't work. IK must not work that way, eh?

Sorry... I'm a noob at using IK chains - obviously

There is a Reach property on the IK chain node, which controls how the bones react to the chain - try adjsuting that.