Best practices? using genesis and genesis 2 content in Carrara

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

What database thingy are using? Valentina or PostGRE thing?

• GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,036
    edited December 1969

Valentina or PostGRE thing? I don't know what that means.

David

edited December 1969

Look through this thread. It may help. I don't have C8.5, and as such, I can't use Genesis, so that's my only thought. If others see this, they may be able to offer some other suggestions if I'm off the mark.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/48629/

• GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,036
    edited December 1969

Tried it again today and now suddenly everything works. Havent tried loading from the library yet. Only opening files that I had saved in Studio. Makes no sense.

edited December 1969

Glad it is working. Sorry I couldn't be more help. f you need non-Genesis, non-DIM or CMS help, I'll be glad to do what I can!

Happy rendering!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited April 2015

A very common problem that people experience if they come to Carrara after being a Studio user is adapting to Carrara's skin shader system. This post is not about ideal settings, although I may link to such a post that I know of by Jonstark when I find it again and if he approves (pretty sure he will). Instead, this is just a very basic introduction to finding the location of common resources for genesis and genesis 2 skin shaders that do not load by default in Carrara, how to find and apply them, and how to save for future use.

First, you can buy Carrara-optimized shaders in the Daz store by Ringomonfort.

At some point, you are likely to want to customize your skin shaders. At the time of this post, Carrara comes with the Michael 5 character for genesis so I will be using that as an example. In my system, Michael 5 loads with the "Phillip" character applied (sort of). We'll start with that.

Basics -

- Start an empty scene in Carrara.
    - Open the browser tray (bottom) and find the My Daz3D Library \ People \ Genesis \ Characters folder
    - click and drag Michael 5 to the instances tray in the lower right to load the figure.
    - Highlight the "actor" level
    - Click the little paint brush at the top to move to the texture room - a long list of shader domains will appear for bodyparts
    - Double click the "3_skinarms" domain from the list on the right to activate the "tree" for that domain on the left
    - Notice that the "color" channel of the tree has a texture map but the "bump" channel does not. We will fix that.
    - To load a texture map to the bump channel, we have to know where the Phillip character resources are
    - In the color channel, hover your cursor over the name of the map and its location will appear. Make note.
    - Now, in the bump channel, click "none" and choose texture map. Click the open folder and navigate to the location of Phillip resources
    - on my system, that is Runtime\textures\DAZ\Characters\MilMan\M5\
    - Bump maps are generally gray, and in this case, we want the bump map for the limbs. M5PhillipLimbs01B.jpg or some such. Load that.
    - Now, the default setting for the bump channel may be too low to tell the difference (just 10%).
    - Just as a test, highlight the top level of the shader tree, locate the bump setting, and raise it to something like 80% or 90%.
    - Do a render of your figure to test and you will see that the shoulders are all bumpy now.
    - Restore your bump level to something more reasonable

Repeat for other surface aspects and decide to consolidate shaders that use the same map, or not, as desired.
    - You are likely to want to make additional changes to skin highlight, shininess, reflection, subsurface scattering, etc.
    - Often , more than one shading domain uses the same map. For example, the limbs map is used by the shoulder and the forearm. In many cases you might want to use the same settings. If so, copy the shader to the other channel. In other cases, such as the face and lips, they may use the same map but you might want different bump or shininess. Then don't copy over the map.
    - In the case of M5, there are different maps for the torso, the limbs, the face, the eyes, and the teeth/innermouth. So, you won't generally use 1 map to cover all of those areas if you use a texture map approach.

Save to browser for future use
    - once you have all of the shading domains the way you want, click and drag the ball at the top to the shader browser and choose a memorable name. Use the comment section if it can help find the maps, etc.

4b_locate_bump_file_for_limbs.jpg
    1435 x 970 - 369K
    3b_hover_limbs_to_see_location_of_file.jpg
    1413 x 944 - 276K
    2b_shader_tree_for_skin_arm.jpg
    1489 x 970 - 298K
    1b_shader_genesis_start.jpg
    1897 x 1007 - 436K
    1a_ringos_store.JPG
    1635 x 932 - 161K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited December 1969

These screenshots go with the above post.

7b_drag_ball_to_shader_browser.jpg
    1919 x 1009 - 378K
    6b_bumpy_arms.jpg
    640 x 480 - 43K
    5b_top_level_to_set_bump_intensity.jpg
    802 x 663 - 138K
    edited April 2015

This place reserved for a discussion of skin shader settings - to be created in an edit.

This is an excerpt from a old post by Jonstark. I've lost track of the actual link. I will remove it if he thinks it is out of date, or has any other objection. Until then, this is a much better discussion of settings than I could give.

Skin settings: here’s mine (sorry I was away from computer for quite a while tonight, would have responded earlier if I could have, and I didn’t realize you were on such a tight deadline)
    So for most skin areas (torso areas, face limbs) I use pretty much identical setup.
    In the top channel I put the bump amplitude to 5%
    Color channel is the color texture map of the character (may want to switch the dropdown from fast mip map to sampling for Gaussian filtering, to avoid strange seams in distance shots).
    Alpha channel is left at default 100%
    Highlight channel is set between 4% and 8% as per what suits my eye (I once used Spec maps here, but eh I’m not as sure I need them anymore and prefer using a straight percentage). Highlight controls the brightness of the specular effect. Higher percentages = brighter specular glinting.
    Shininess channel is set between 3% and 5%, again according to taste. Shininess controls the spread or how wide the specular effect is. The lower the percentage, the large the spread of the glinting over the skin. That might seem counterintuitive, but lower % = larger area of effect. Think of it as micro roughness of the texture.
    Bump channel is the bump map texture.
    Reflection channel can be set to none, or if you’re feeling daring, you could add a tiny bit of reflection (like 1% or less), but bear in mind any reflection is going to slow the render time a little bit, probably not worth mentioning or noticing in slowdown time, *unless* you decided to use blurry reflections, in which case it will slow you down quite a bit. I don’t recommend using blurry reflections for animation at all, it’s more the kind of thing you would use for a still render closeup that has to be very precise, and if you use it make sure the max depth is set to 1.
    Transparency, Refraction, Glow, and Translucency I would leave at none (though there is a cool way to use a slight bit of glow to fake subsurface scattering).
    Subsurface scattering I do use, but will slow render time with calculations too much in an animation with any kind of indirect lighting calculation (so if you’re using skylight or full GI then subsurface scattering might be too much of a render slower to be worthwhile, on the other hand if you’re using direct lighting and the ambient light in the scene tab to fake indirect lighting you may still want to use SSS). Finding good SSS settings is very very tough, lots of people I respect very much for their Carrara skills use lots of different methods. Looking at mine, I realized I’m using the same ones PhilW recommends in his Realism Rendering tutorial series, so I can’t in good conscience give them out in a public forum or else I’d feel like I was giving away part of his product. Let me jump back to a prior SSS setting I used to use, that I still think it’s pretty decent and give that instead.
    diffuse: 99
    translucency: 10
    Intensity: 10
    Refraction: 30
    Fresnel: 10
    pair it with a light pink color to simulate blood beneath the skin (if I’m remembering right; I didn’t write down my color settings at the time, so play with it and see what pops for your eyes).
    Now lips are similar to skin with a few differences, I try to make lips for girls a bit more shiny to simulate lipstick, can do this by raising the highlight intensity and the shininess percentage to make it a bit more glossy, and the lips look a bit better with a slight amount of reflection (imo).
    Eyes are very important (imo)
    Eyesurface: Can be very useful as an all over the eye cover to give reflections, but my current setup I don’t use it and have it set to transparency 100% with the top channel ‘no light interactions when fully transparent’ checked.
    Lacrimal: This is the skin in the corners of the eye, and I use skin settings with higher highlight and shininess settings to make it look a little more ‘wet’.
    Sclera: The whites of the eyes, I use the eye texture for the character here, again like the lacrimals I add some highlight and shininess amped up a bit to give a wetter look.
    Pupil: The dark hole in the center of the eye. Can leave it fully black in the color channel and nothing else, or can also just throw the eye texture from the character here (it will map to the black part at the center of the eye texture anyway). No reflections here, which may seem counterintuitive, but seriously can look weird if you put reflections in.
    Iris: this is the colored center of the eye. It might seem counterintuitive but currently this is nothing more than the color channel with the texture map of the eye, no other reflections, highlights nothing (well it doesn’t hurt at all to throw a little bumpmap in if you have it).
    Cornea: This is the eye lens that sits over the iris, and this is where all the magic happens to make the eye ‘pop’. Even though it’s transparent, this is possibly the most important part of the eye texture. Refraction here is very important, I actually have my refraction set to the ‘ethyl alchohol’ dropdown, my highlight is way up at 400%, my shininess is at 21%, my transparency is set to 100% and my alpha is set to 49% and the color is set to black. I don’t have reflections set here, but for closeups I would use reflections in this channel (for longer shots the highlight should work just fine, especially if you have a low intensity light pointed at your character’s face, that gives good highlights to make the eyes pop but no real cost in rendertime). You also may very well want to change the eye shape in the assembly room parameters to make it so the cornea is nicely convex while the iris is actually flat below it (it only should appear the iris is convex because of the refraction from the cornea).
    I’m actually looking back at my settings and thinking this may be an older texture setup, not my most current, as I play with refining skin textures all the freakin time (it’s one of my long term hobbies with Carrara actually).
    There is a lot more that can go into trying to get super realistic skin, and many other methods, but I thought that might be a quick and easy way to get you used to the various shader components and comfortable playing around in the texture room.
    edited December 1969

And a couple of potentially interesting links

The Art of Skin Shading
    by Sharon Milne
    http://design.tutsplus.com/articles/the-art-of-skin-shading--vector-4812

Skin Tones Tutorial in Photoshop
    by - ChiCha-Tutorials
    http://www.idigitalemotion.com/tutorials/guest/skin_tone/skintone.html

edited July 2015

This is just a quick comment on Genesis 3 female and V7. At this time, Daz does not profess to support G3F in Carrara. For stills, some folks have shown some progress in getting G3Fover to Carrara by using collada dae file format or the obj file format. Personally, when I tried collada, the mesh did not follow the bones, but I have seen other people be successful. I did get V7 over to carrara using the obj file format, but that means the result cannot be further posed without additional rigging.

If people discover work arounds or other uses, feel free to add to the thread. I am returning the V7 that I purchased. If it gets support, or if I use DS more, I will re-acquire it.

v7_obj_test_1.JPG
    1250 x 903 - 134K
    V7_collada_test_1.JPG
    1272 x 908 - 133K
  • edited December 1969

I've been trying to use Belle 6 with Carrara 8.5 Pro. The basic figure loads up fine, but when I try to change things like eye color and makeup, the result is just black. This is true even from the Smart Content section. Carrara 8.5 is supposed to support Genesis 2. What am I doing wrong?

• CoolBreezeCoolBreeze Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

Tarag said:
    I've been trying to use Belle 6 with Carrara 8.5 Pro. The basic figure loads up fine, but when I try to change things like eye color and makeup, the result is just black. This is true even from the Smart Content section. Carrara 8.5 is supposed to support Genesis 2. What am I doing wrong?

Your not doing anything wrong.
    When using the Daz Studio material presets in the Smart Content tab, its hit and miss. Clothing textures, hair colors, etc generally works but not always.

When it comes to skin, especially for the face like makeup options, yeah I get black too. Usually I have ot go into the materials room and hand-tweak the shaders. (best to goto Edit -> Consolidate -> Consolidate Shaders) so your only editing one shader per material zone (certain materials are re-used per different material zone).

Also, Ringo Monfort's store at daz here has a ton of Carrara optimized shader sets for all the main figure releases. All you need to do is drag and drop fom the Shaders tab into the global mutl-material zone (the big multi-colored sphere). Unfortunately, Ringo doesn't have a shader pack for Belle however; he does have al the essential base figures. Point being, you'll probably want to pickup some for Victoria 6 and Michael 6, and once you try those, you can study and learn how those are setup, then its just amatter of swapping out the Vic6 textures used in the Color, Highlight, Glossines, and Bump channels with those from the Belle texture set. Can be a bit tedious (i've been using Carrara since 2007, i'm used to it) , and you can also save the custom shader for the entire figure into your "My Shaders" tab for future use.

You'll find you'll want to be getting aquainted with Carrara's material room anyways. Even hair and clothing generally need or at least benefit from some Carrara shader tweaking, such as changing Highlights and reflection from Color (an abstract value system) to a Percentage value model will get you better if not optimal Carrara render engine results.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Personally, when I tried collada, the mesh did not follow the bones, but I have seen other people be successful.

If people discover work arounds or other uses, feel free to add to the thread. I am returning the V7 that I purchased. If it gets support, or if I use DS more, I will re-acquire it.

After exporting the posed figure from DAZ Studio in collada format import the collada file into Carrara 8.5

Select the bones of the figure and then either do one of two things..

1. Select the Transform tab then click on the HP->Obj button

or

2. Select a bone in the assembly room window

the figure will then pose to the bones

do this with each of the items ie.. figure.... clothing...hair ect..

you will probably need to also rotate the clothing/hair to match the figure

that's how I do it.. hope it helps :-)

importcollada2.jpg
    945 x 699 - 203K
    importcollada1.jpg
    973 x 608 - 140K
    edited December 1969

@Stezza, thanks so much. I had to experiment a little because what you select in the bone structure to get the mesh to follow the bones is not always consistent from one figure to the next. Pelvis vs hip vs... for example.

The result is far from perfect but I can see that it is a start for a work around for stills. The figure can be further posed a little which I consider superior to an obj export/import.

v7_test_succssful.jpg
    640 x 480 - 15K
    edited July 2015

Tarag said:

Hi. I don't have Belle 6, and others have given you excelent information, but I just want to offer a couple of tips. Carrara's shader system does not match Studio's or Poser's exactly, although there are many consistencies. As a result, you will generally want to adjust the shaders of many skins and materials when you use them in Carrara. Here are a couple of common situations I have run into.

1 - Poser compatible color - for figures like V4, M4, etc., Carrara typically creates a mixer in the color channel of the shader tree. The mixer typically includes a texture map for the skin and the color blue. Some people just eliminate the mixer and copy the map into the color channel. I prefer to set the blue to a white so that I can use the mixer later for additional adjustments. In the meantime, the white has no effect.

2 - Daz Studio compatible bump map - for figures like genesis, genesis 2, etc., I find that some of the presets will load with nothing in the bump channel even though the Studio materials set includes a bump map. See my posts above for how to find the bump map. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/45361/P60/#798751

3 - Daz Studio compatible reflection, SSS, etc. - for figures like genesis, genesis 2, etc., I find that Carrara's attempt to translate Studio's implementation of reflection and SSS to Carrara's yields bad results, such as what you report. Not much I can recommend other than adjusting the settings after loading. I am not someone who pursues photo realism so I can't do muh but recommend the settings that Jonstark reported above. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/45361/P60/#798762

Recommendations?

- Ringomonfort offers some Carrara skin sets for Genesis and Genesis 2 in the Daz store. You could buy some and look at his settings.
    - Apply the recommendations above, and then save global skin shaders to your Carrara shader browser for later use.

• edited December 1969

Thanks, everyone! I'll try these suggestions! I'm quite fond of Carrara for rendering outdoor scenes (particularly with animation), and wanted to bring in my Genesis 2 figures.

edited August 2015

RE: some folks are reporting problems conforming more than 3 clothing items to Genesis 2.  I have not had this problem, so I can't explain the circumstances.  I encourage anyone who has this problem to provide examples here.  For those reporting the problem, is it happening every time conforming more than 3 to genesis 2?  Or only sometimes?  Is it both G2F and G2M?  All characters for G2F and G2M?

Anyway, I just threw together Aiko 6 in a hero pose and added a bunch of hair and clothing items.  I have never experienced this problem, but am willing to try to recreate it if people report specific items.  At the least, we might identify particular clothing items that are incompatible.

a6 in multiclothes.jpg
    640 x 480 - 33K
    edited August 2015

As per diomede's request in another thread, bringing not one but 2 frequent issues I have using Genesis 2 content inside Carrara. To make matters worse, these issues can sometimes work hand-in-hand...

Doesn't seem to matter which build I use either. Back before the DIM, with the downloadable installer files with build numbers I used to save those in individual folders, just incase a newer build was more problematic than thw build i was currently using. With DIM, its tougher to do since I generally select all listed updates and hit download...

Ok, first issue I sometimes have in Carrara is importing the Character I just made (morphed / clothed / posed) in Daz Studio, saved out as a scene subset. When Importing the character into a new scene, the model mesh loads as a standard static mesh, while the skeleton loads properly with the pose, and any props (gun in hand) ... Bugs me to no end since I usually have to resort to morphing, clothing and posing G2 characters in Daz Studio to begin with to bring them into Carrara without crashing.

Now, for this case, the clothing set I think was from a V4 Future Cop, I used Daz Studio's auto-fit/convert function. At first I thought this might've been the contributing factor, so I deleted the clothes of her and tried her without cloths. That failed, so I then ommited the hair (think hair is from A3 or V3), and still got the exact same result importing within Carrara - mesh solid/static in default pose, detached from the skeleton.

Only resort was to export to obj, and open one of RingoMonfort's G2 Carrara global skin shaders and manually copy/paste the shaders per material zone from the global skin shader to the obj's corresponding material zones for the g2 in obj form. Not fun...

:edit:

Will post next issue in next post...

Screenshot 2015-02-27 02.38.21a.PNG
    1314 x 1430 - 594K
    Screenshot 2015-05-20 11.32.52a.PNG
    1949 x 1207 - 479K
    Screenshot 2015-02-27 20.41.31a.PNG
    958 x 1232 - 219K
    GITS Rooftop Best.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 224K
    Post edited by CoolBreeze on

Issue #2: Intermitently Genesis2 characters - in this case - Victoria 6, when loaded natively into the scene, the mesh is seperated from the rigging... Didn't notice this until I had to set the jacket to Conform to Victoria 6...  I'm not surprised its not even conforming properly given the issue at hand...

Screenshot 2015-08-14 09.18.05.png
    1080 x 920 - 158K
    edited August 2015

Now, here's starting Carrara fresh, new empty scene, loaded the stock Genesis 2 Female base, no morphing yet... Here's the one of the very very few and rare occasions that:

1.) Having Genesis2 selected, dragging clothing objects will auto-conform and parent most of the time, with only a few items needing to be told to conform..

2.) More than 3 clothing items were able to be loaded onto the character without Carrara crashing at 79% Projecting Morphs phase on the 4th item

3.) Can Morph and pose the character somewhat. Carrara's morph projection and auto-conforming limitations still leave alot to be desired...

This is one of the rare times , more like 2nd or 3rd time EVER I've been able to get Genesis2 to play nice in the entire time I've played with Genesis2 natively within Carrara to have a character totally clothed (like I was used to with M4 and V4) as it should be without worry or issue. Irony here is that this time right now is just for test purposes of this thread. Never fails - when I actually want to be character creating and rendering, the whole project gets flushed down the toilet. A real killjoy when Genesis2 doesn't want to behave in Carrara, whether natively or via Daz Studio scene-subset export / Carrara Import.

For the attached images:

Hotpants_Shorts drag and dropped from browser onto Genesis2 - didn't conform automatically, had to manually select Genesis2 to conform.

PenHair was the 4th conforming item loaded in this session - carrara seemed to pause for a little bit , but didn't crash or hang. PenHair even auto-conformed

Kept on going loading more clothing, Belt2, Liquid Shades, APO_Gloves, B25SBEars, cd_headset , each item loaded and conformed automatically without issue or hiccup.

Tried manually posing the arms a bit, nothing fancy just basic joint rotations.

Began adding some body shape morphs, here we stumble into carrara's lack of collision controls exposing the skin underneath. Tried un-conforming the jacket and re-conforming it, same result. Didn't crash either surprisingly on the manual re-conform. Had to ctrl-z several times to find which morph shapes caused the poke-thru. Tried a couple test renders - yup, visible poke thru.

In task manager, I have 7 PostgrSQL (64bit) instances running, each between 1.1 - 2.6mb memory usage. For those who still show the (32 bit) edition of PostgreSQL, use the 32bit to 64bit PostgreSQL conversion in the DIM list. I've tried both the regular release and beta release of the PostgreSQL with about the same results...

If each time I played with Genesis 2 in Carrara worked out like this, I'd be a happy Carrarist user, at least for using Genesis2 and not using much outdoor foilage, or doing interior render shots. This is almost the way using Genesis2 should be for everyone, all the time (Much like V4 and M4 was - they just simply worked. Period.). And not 90% hit & miss.

Right now, Carrara's memory usage is 5,309.2mb (5.3gb) ... Doing Consolidate Shaders/remove shaders dropped memory usage by .1mb. Using stock Genesis2 skin materials. No worries, i have 64gb ddr3 system ram, dual xeons, dual 4gb AMD R9 290X's.

Kinda wierd that V4 and M4 are supposedly much higher density polycount than Genesis2, yet fully clothed and several M4 / V4's in a scene with other props I still used to do renders on a machine with 8gb system ram and not hitting 4gb mem usage in carrara. Yet Genesis2 fully decked out, 5.3gb basic and plain, no other scene props or chars...

Screenshot 2015-08-14 09.25.28.png
    2556 x 1438 - 832K
    Screenshot 2015-08-14 09.31.19.png
    2566 x 1437 - 1023K
    Screenshot 2015-08-14 09.45.29.png
    2558 x 1438 - 894K
    Screenshot 2015-08-14 10.03.59.png
    2556 x 1440 - 613K
    Screenshot 2015-08-14 10.12.38.png
    2558 x 1437 - 1013K
    Screenshot 2015-08-14 10.16.20.png
    1342 x 542 - 303K
    Screenshot 2015-08-14 11.32.06.png
    845 x 974 - 87K
    Screenshot 2015-08-14 11.32.13.png
    847 x 974 - 44K

Issue # 3

And, here is what commonly happens when I start fresh, loading G2 Male or Female natively in Carrara, and begin to load clothing - drag and drop from browser onto Genesis2 Male (not the top tier "group", the next one below)... Since each and every piece of clothing in this case loaded but wouldn't auto-conform to Genesis2, I had to begin starting at the top and go down each one by one to manually conform to G2. By the 4th item, this is what happened: Building Projection Map 97.0% -=Crashed=- "Carrara 8 has stopped working"

And this is why typically playing with Genesis2 in Carrara is such a killjoy... If its not Issue #1, #2, or #3, its generally roll a 4 sided dice for the randomness of which carrara determins what issue to crop up.

Screenshot 2015-06-26 02.46.53.png
    2574 x 1438 - 672K
    Jadeonar said:

Hmmm....

I find it wierd - I get Poke-thru issues showing in the Assembly Room, yet when rendering, theres no Poke-thru issues at all, even in various poses... And this is putting together the G2F figure in Carrara, applying hair, and G2 clothing with AutoFit ...

On the very flipside - i'm finding out the hard way that Carrara is having issues with when applying more than 2 or 3 AutoFit to Genesis2 clothing items... Carrara hangs...

Anyone else find that Carrara is very slow to update the Smart Content tab when clicking between Genesis2 and non Genesis items in the Instances list? Or even between different Genesis2 items in the instances list such as G2F and Hair and the applied Outfit ?

I've got Daz Studio, Install Manager, Carrara, and all the installed content residing between 2 individual 512gb SSD's , along with 64gb of DDR3 1866mhz ram... And dual Xeon cpu's running windows 8.1 pro .... and Carrara 8.5 Pro 64bit build 243

I'll have to try some of the other suggestions mentioned in this thread, including adding the Genesis content folder as a "content" type runtime folder to the regular "Content" browser tab....

But yeah, we really need some major improvements in Carrara for better Genesis / Genesis2 generation content support... And this is me keeping the faith patiently since Genesis came out, and still buying Genesis 2 & 1 content regularly... If we can get better functionality in Carrara to the level or better of Daz Studio, this is would be awesome ;)

In the attached images below, I've loaded the A6 Battle Girl Full , Jenna hair, and the full body suit as shown (can't recall which set its from right now)... Though when I try adding individual boots, or even some other shirt & pants and sleeves, i don't get very far for auto-fitting before carrara hangs...

Just to quote myself from earlier back...

• I didnt think Carrara 8 could handle Gensis let alone Genesis 2. I thought that was what Carrara 8.5 was for. I havent tried any of this in 8 only 8.5.

I didnt think Carrara 8 could handle Gensis let alone Genesis 2. I thought that was what Carrara 8.5 was for. I havent tried any of this in 8 only 8.5.

Carrara 8 and 8.5 only show up in Windows Task Manager as "Carrara 8" for 64bit , and "Carrara 8 (32 bit)" for 32bit respectively should you have Windows 64bit and only have the 32bit non pro version of Carrara. Its the same deal if you only have Windows 32 bit and obviously Carrara 32bit, it'll show up in Windows Task Manager as "Carrara 8".

As for 8  and 8.5 , the Smart Content Tab with the Daz Content Database Management, and Smart Content are only available in 8.5.

Only way Carrara 8.1 might be able to load Genesis / Genesis 2 is either via static obj, or possibly .fbx or Daz Collada. I havn't tried it (would have to install 8.1 again).

• Sorry but the error message had me confused as to which version of the program you were dealing with. Forget I said anything.

Sorry but the error message had me confused as to which version of the program you were dealing with. Forget I said anything.

Lol, no worries, and I thought you were referencing to the Windows Task Manager. We both thought one thing when it was the other entirely :P

The poke through in the Assembly room view, but not in the render could be displacement.
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited August 2015

When I use Genesis 2 in Carrara I never drag the conforming items directly onto the character - I always get screwy results, hangs and crashes when I do that.  Instead I load all the items by just dragging them onto the Scene line in the instances tab so they are in the scene but not conformed or parented to anything. Once I have all my items loaded into the scene, I manually fit them to the character one by one and then select them all and group them with the character (not sure if that last step is really necessary but I like to keep my instances tab clean with related items in nice groups).  Doing it this way I have never had any issues conforming any amount of items to G2F or G2M except for minor poke-through. 

I regularly conform entire multi-piece outfits to characters, delete them, load new ones, conform those and so on, often through several repititions while I try to figure out what pieces I really want for the scene and doing it this way not only seems to load the pieces more quickly, the conforming usually seems to work better.

Jadeonar said:

Issue # 3

And, here is what commonly happens when I start fresh, loading G2 Male or Female natively in Carrara, and begin to load clothing - drag and drop from browser onto Genesis2 Male (not the top tier "group", the next one below)... Since each and every piece of clothing in this case loaded but wouldn't auto-conform to Genesis2, I had to begin starting at the top and go down each one by one to manually conform to G2. By the 4th item, this is what happened: Building Projection Map 97.0% -=Crashed=- "Carrara 8 has stopped working"

And this is why typically playing with Genesis2 in Carrara is such a killjoy... If its not Issue #1, #2, or #3, its generally roll a 4 sided dice for the randomness of which carrara determins what issue to crop up.

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    edited August 2015
    MDO2010 said:

When I use Genesis 2 in Carrara I never drag the conforming items directly onto the character - I always get screwy results, hangs and crashes when I do that.  Instead I load all the items by just dragging them onto the Scene line in the instances tab so they are in the scene but not conformed or parented to anything. Once I have all my items loaded into the scene, I manually fit them to the character one by one and then select them all and group them with the character (not sure if that last step is really necessary but I like to keep my instances tab clean with related items in nice groups).  Doing it this way I have never had any issues conforming any amount of items to G2F or G2M except for minor poke-through. 

I regularly conform entire multi-piece outfits to characters, delete them, load new ones, conform those and so on, often through several repititions while I try to figure out what pieces I really want for the scene and doing it this way not only seems to load the pieces more quickly, the conforming usually seems to work better.

Jadeonar said:

Issue # 3

Unfortunately much the same as #3 situation - dragging into Scene tab, and had to conform each piece of clothing manually. By the 4th item, Carrara crashes at the Projecting Morphs 97% stage...

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited August 2015

Very weird.  I just tried it and managed to conform 15 different items onto the same G2F before I got tired of manually fitting the items - the scene was slowing down a little but it didn't crash.

Is this with ANY four conforming items or just a specific outfit or just certain combinations?  I know there are specific items that don't work in Carrara for some reason - sorry can't think which ones off the top of my head, but I know I have some items I just had to give up using in Carrara altogether.  You don't say which outfit you are using and I don't recognize it from your screenshots so I am wondering if it is just some piece in that specific set that doesn't work? I'm probably grasping at straws here, sorry if it's not helpful. :(

EDIT: Sorry - just saw that you DID say it was the V4 Futurecop outfit.  I think I have that - I'll go play and see what happens.

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on