• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,986
    edited December 1969

Tim- beautiful render

Horo – great effect

Dave – another cool render, simple yet beautiful, love the waves

User. Operator-very nice still

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited April 2015

Thanks for the kind remarks and comments about the postworks. Yeah, well it is something I'm not very knowledgeable about but I figured I should try and learn a bit more having seen how effective it can be in the right hands (ie not mine).

Mine...

Ah, a link. Minecraft. Of which I have been known to indulge.

You can get your hands on some very nice Minecraft models without a great deal of effort.

This one, I got from a Minecraft adventure http://hypixel.net/threads/star-wars-adventure-map.29/

You load the world map into this software http://www.realtimerendering.com/…/minecra…/public/mineways/

And it spits out an obj. Which you can then import into Bryce. Bryce will take a few minutes to read a large obj, but once it is in, you can save it and load it without too much delay.

I did a "quick" TA render. OK the rendering wasn't all that quick but the setup was only a few minutes. The render took about an hour and a half.

Into Middle Earth, look at these beautiful creations. http://www.planetminecraft.com/member/epicquestz/

Sw1.jpg
    1067 x 600 - 558K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Ah David if you're still around I have a Wings question. (or anyone else who knows Wings well enough may be able to answer).

At present I'm working on a job and I need to get a logo into Wings. I've drawn up the logo in Illustrator so it's all vector, but when I import it into Wings, Wings generates loads of unnecessary geometry for it because it's already made it into 3D.

Is there a way to bring JUST the vector in so I can extrude it myself?

The logo is quiet simple and I have imported the one Wings created into Bryce but all the unnecessary geometry makes it difficult to put a nice bevel on it.

Logo1.jpg
    780 x 972 - 287K
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 489
    edited April 2015

Ah David if you're still around I have a Wings question. (or anyone else who knows Wings well enough may be able to answer).

At present I'm working on a job and I need to get a logo into Wings. I've drawn up the logo in Illustrator so it's all vector, but when I import it into Wings, Wings generates loads of unnecessary geometry for it because it's already made it into 3D.

Is there a way to bring JUST the vector in so I can extrude it myself?

The logo is quiet simple and I have imported the one Wings created into Bryce but all the unnecessary geometry makes it difficult to put a nice bevel on it.

Unfortunately, Wings will not just let you bring in the vector by itself. The way Wings works is that everything must have a face and it will add the necessary geometry to create an "appropriate" model, as you've discovered. Try these quick steps and see if it will work (https://app.box.com/s/2y2av8p0bo56mn5i5hir3t3b7j9o8379).

1) Import your path and use the lowest number of edge bisections you can get away with. Yes, your shape with be more rudimentary the lower you go, but you also won't end up with so much geometry. You can either smooth out the results or add geometry to remedy that situation. I've brought in the letter "a" as an example.

2) Select edges along side and make sure to include any areas that have isolated holes. You may also want to manually select edges that you want to have the bevel (https://app.box.com/s/8lx64vav95p1c5mpwy7p0p7huis9mplb)

3) Use the "g" key to select all the edges in the ring.

4) Use the "f" key to convert the edge selection to faces.

5) Use the "L" key to get the outer edges.

6) Right click, Bevel as desired.

7) Select entire object ("b") and smooth as desired ("s").

Let me know if you need clarification.

Here's a modified version of my RTR test to adjust the lighting, materials, and try to reduce the distortion produced by the camera settings. I think it looks much better. Thanks for the feedback.

Yosemite11RTRScene_1.jpg
    1500 x 750 - 1M
    Post edited by Fencepost52 on
  • useroperatoruseroperator Posts: 247
    edited April 2015

testing testing 4...5...6...

ghjghjghjghj.png
    813 x 613 - 730K
    Post edited by useroperator on
    edited April 2015

More great renders everyone. Keep the inspiration coming!

is the foam the “sea foam Easter egg” ?

No, that's actually a water material from David and Horo's High Resolution Terrains 4

Here's a Chinese "hand trap". Unlike it's counterpart, the Chinese finger trap, this one could be potentially devastating as seen in the skeletal render! ;-)

Chinese_Hand_Trap_Skeleton.jpg
    800 x 800 - 269K
    Chinese_Hand_Trap.jpg
    800 x 800 - 364K
  • useroperatoruseroperator Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

testing testing 7...8...9...

nmbnmnm.png
    817 x 618 - 668K
    edited December 1969

Art- thanks for the info about the foam. The Chinese "hand trap" is nice is that a Wings 3D model?

User.operator - nice render.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,108
    edited April 2015

@Dave - very nice beach scene.

@vivien1 - thank you.

@hansmar - thank you.

@mermaid010 - thank you.

@Art - now the second Yosemite render looks great. The Chinese hand trap is awesome.

These are the two cubes used in my previous render, one within the other and the camera in the centre.

2Cubes.jpg
    800 x 600 - 48K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Horo- Thanks for posting the two objects you used. Yesterday I played around with your idea using other Wings 3D objects and here’s the result. The second one is the same setting except that I rendered it using the Director’s view, just to see the difference.

abstractcube-directors.jpg
    500 x 500 - 51K
    abstractcube-gwl.jpg
    500 x 500 - 71K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Unfortunately, Wings will not just let you bring in the vector by itself. The way Wings works is that everything must have a face and it will add the necessary geometry to create an "appropriate" model, as you've discovered. Try these quick steps and see if it will work (https://app.box.com/s/2y2av8p0bo56mn5i5hir3t3b7j9o8379).

1) Import your path and use the lowest number of edge bisections you can get away with. Yes, your shape with be more rudimentary the lower you go, but you also won't end up with so much geometry. You can either smooth out the results or add geometry to remedy that situation. I've brought in the letter "a" as an example.

2) Select edges along side and make sure to include any areas that have isolated holes. You may also want to manually select edges that you want to have the bevel (https://app.box.com/s/8lx64vav95p1c5mpwy7p0p7huis9mplb)

3) Use the "g" key to select all the edges in the ring.

4) Use the "f" key to convert the edge selection to faces.

5) Use the "L" key to get the outer edges.

6) Right click, Bevel as desired.

7) Select entire object ("b") and smooth as desired ("s").

Let me know if you need clarification.

Sadly as the logo design is essential, I can't reduce the edge bisections as it messes up the proportion too much. I'd already taken it down to 4 and the resulting mess of vertices was unfathomable. My main sticking point seem to be that what should be a flat single front face isn't acting like one in wings. I've tried to delete all the "edge" lines from it, but there are some that it just wont let me delete.

My thinking was that if I could at least get the face to be a single area, I could then extrude a shell and then keep only the shell... But it's not working.

I did however, manage to get some results from Wings so far though another strange behaviour of the exported .obj file is that it comes into Bryce looking like a liquid. Then when the Bryce 'smooth' command is used, it sharpens all the edges and faces. So I utilised the "liquid" look for a few renders... Though this version only looks good when the bad geometry is buried under the ground plane. :-)

I'm now struggling through Sketch Up to see if I can redraw the vector and extrude it from there.

Here's a modified version of my RTR test to adjust the lighting, materials, and try to reduce the distortion produced by the camera settings. I think it looks much better. Thanks for the feedback.

That is a vast improvement on an already great render.
    EasterDoodle.jpg
    800 x 650 - 154K
    Logo3.jpg
    800 x 650 - 178K
    edited April 2015

Sadly as the logo design is essential, I can’t reduce the edge bisections as it messes up the proportion too much. I’d already taken it down to 4 and the resulting mess of vertices was unfathomable. My main sticking point seem to be that what should be a flat single front face isn’t acting like one in wings. I’ve tried to delete all the “edge” lines from it, but there are some that it just wont let me delete.

My thinking was that if I could at least get the face to be a single area, I could then extrude a shell and then keep only the shell… But it’s not working.

I did however, manage to get some results from Wings so far though another strange behaviour of the exported .obj file is that it comes into Bryce looking like a liquid. Then when the Bryce ‘smooth’ command is used, it sharpens all the edges and faces. So I utilised the “liquid” look for a few renders… Though this version only looks good when the bad geometry is buried under the ground plane. grin

I’m now struggling through Sketch Up to see if I can redraw the vector and extrude it from there.

Both of your renders look great. Have you used wings with image planes and the connect tool? I have another idea that might do exactly what you want using those methods. I'm testing something out and will let you know what I come up with.

ETA: Ok, that option might not work as it really requires a lot of effort. If you would like to send me the vector, maybe I can fiddle with it a bit. I have some ideas, but they might be too much to explain, especially if I'm wrong! LOL

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,754
    edited December 1969

@user.operator: Very nice set of 'sculpture' renders. Were these made in Wings or any similar software?

@TheSavage64: Although you struggle with your logo, the renders so far (specifically the last ones) look very good.

@fencepost52: New render is certainly less distorted, as we see in the objects. Sphere still is not completely sperical to me, but in general quite believable. Light is also better. And: I would not like to have my hands trapped!

@mermaid010: Love your renders. Specifically the second one: nice POV.

edited December 1969

Ugh... caustics... I've spent hours trying to procedrual up some decent looking caustics effects and this is as far as I've got. So far... Underwater it's a tricky one. I've tried before, but resorted to "cheating" using image based caustics. I really would like to do it with materials. But I'm not convinced it will be as good as just using an image. Terrain supplied by Horo. Regular render for speed.

BTW I did email you Dave on the topic of vectors, but I see Art has come up with an answer. Nice work Art.

Underwater_testing_for_p69_6.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 1M
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited December 1969

Added a few more elements to an old render.

Stag Party

stag-party-002.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 653K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,108
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - looks beautiful. Very good choice of HDRI.

@David - caustics as procedural, not the easiest way to go about it. What you have so far looks promising, though.

@Sandy - the beetles look great. Very nice grass, too.

edited April 2015

Hansmar – Thanks

David – nice alien-terrain, not sure about the caustics

Sandy – great image.

Horo - Thanks

Another Abstract using the objects Horo mentioned in the previous page and the LR_night Hdri that came with one of the gifts from Horo and David

abstract-gwl.jpg
    500 x 500 - 69K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Here's one I've been working on for a while, finally decided to call it done. (Apologies to any who have had to suffer through non-fictional wars, which would obviously suck.) It didn't turn out quite as I had hoped, but it's close. I wanted the shadows to not be so dark, but attempts to raise the light level hopelessly screwed up the clouds, so I finally gave up on that. The other thing I wanted to do but did not get done was I wanted to imply that the blimp was armored. I thought of having rounds bouncing off, but couldn't make it look convincing so I didn't do that.

lead_balloon.jpg
    1608 x 1005 - 1000K
  • vivienvivien Posts: 184
    edited December 1969

user operator - Great looking stills

David - Quite involved looking renders

Art - I like your Chinese hand trap.

mermaid - The abstracts turned out really nice. I particularly like the second one.

The savage - Fantastic looking logo

Sandy - the grass turned out well

Sean Riesch - epic

edited December 1969

Thank you everyone. The grass is from the Grass Pack from DAZ Studio, possibly Andrey Pestryakov or Predatron, I'm not really sure which :red:

edited December 1969

David – nice alien-terrain, not sure about the caustics

No I was not convinced either. So here is another go. I really want to do this procedurally rather than via a 2D repeating texture image because... well, because the procedrual textures are one of Bryces great assets and it is a shame not to take advantage of that.

A known bug with volumetric lights has caused me a bit of grief. As has the also known procedural image projection issue. So this is done via a few spotlights and a "filter" applied to a 2D surface.

Underwater_testing_for_p69_7.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 1M
  • LegalizeAdulthoodLegalizeAdulthood Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

Fishtales said:

Stag Party

Wow... cool scene. I wonder what this would look like as an IRay render :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Fishtales said:

Stag Party

Wow... cool scene. I wonder what this would look like as an IRay render :)

But Bryce doesn't have Iray :roll:

• dragonfall1221dragonfall1221 Posts: 69
    edited April 2015

Hello again!

@mermaid010 - Thank you! I love your renders. The sky is so delicate ^_^
    @fencepost52 - Thank you! The hedges are from a bushes and copices package I found on 3Dmodelfree, where I also got the palms next to the gloriettas. The multicolored bushes are Bryce special trees. The other trees and flowers are all xfrog except for the palms along the fountain on the first terrace, those are from Nobiax, and you can find his excellent stuff on sharecg. The grass patches and mazes I created in Bryce using the terrain editor and patterns I found online.
    @Horo - thanks ^_^
    @vivien1 - thank you! The wireframe view is the stuff of nightmares.
    @thesavage64 - nice car render. I love the reflections.
    @Time Bateman - nice bike!

Unfortunately, I think I've hit the wall with my garden render. I've had to uninstall and reinstall Bryce several times because it grew increasingly unstable. I was able to merge files to make this scene, but I am unable to alter it any further without the program crashing, so I won't be able to add the third terrace or my figure to the scene :(

If anyone is interested I can do a rundown of all the models I used for the render.

second_terrace_detail.png
    1200 x 540 - 1M
    terraces_side_view.jpg
    1200 x 540 - 608K
    second_terraceright_side.png
    1200 x 540 - 1M
    second_terrace_from_interior.png
    1200 x 540 - 913K
    second_terrace.png
    1200 x 540 - 1M
    Post edited by dragonfall1221 on
    edited December 1969

@dragonfall1221, it is possible that Bryce is becoming unstable for you because you are attempting to use more memory than Bryce is capable of. While it is possible that you may have hit a hard limit, it is also possible that there may be things you can do to reduce your memory usage and thus still be able to cram more into the scene. If you are willing to take the time (and accept the risk that you might still not succeed), there are a few possible things you could try.

Before you get carried away, note it would be wise to always save a series of previous versions so you have a working point to fall back to; note that it is possible to save a scene with no errors, but then be unable to load it again.

Image textures take up a lot of memory. If it is possible to either eliminate them entirely or reduce their size, that would be a good first thing to try. You mentioned you have a bunch of xfrog trees and/or flowers. However none of them are close up, so I bet that would be the best place to start, if you haven't already done this. It looks like it would be very easy to eliminate the original materials completely and just use some of the Bryce leaf and bark materials in this particular scene, unless you intended to zoom in more than what we see here.

If you are able to free up enough memory to get your figure into your scene, reduce the size of the materials for the figure a lot first. For example the material for just a typical poser figure's head alone might be 4000x4000 pixels! You don't need that. If you transfer your figure over the bridge from DAZ Studio, I would suggest using Texture Atlas to much more easily combine and resize all the images in one shot rather than trying to track down every image texture for your entire figure, clothing, and accessories.

Another option that I haven't actually tried myself but others have is to build your scene in layers, each consisting of part of the scene, then postwork them into one image.

There are other things you can do too, and somewhere a thread or three explaining them. I've forgotten most. One thing I do recall is that the undo buffer might use up your memory, but it's limited to a certain number of undo's, so it's possible to do goofy stuff to force it to get emptied, or of course just exit and restart to empty it.

One final thing you may be able to try, depending on your OS, is using Large Address Aware. Be warned this approach is a hack, and could cause instability within Bryce. However, the lack of memory ALSO causes instability within Bryce, so it is up to you to decide which choice is worse: Bryce crashes or other as-yet-unidentified issues due to using LAA, Bryce crashes due to NOT using LAA, or not finishing your scene.

edited December 1969

Oh yeah, instancing. If you have multiple identical copies of something in the scene, don't do that, have one original copy and make the rest instances. It will use somewhat less memory.

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858
    edited December 1969

I revisited an old scene and completely re done the hole thing :)

green_hills.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 147K
  • vivienvivien Posts: 184
    edited December 1969

dragonfall - it is a pity that you can not go forward with your masterpiece. Nevertheless what you have done so far is simply magnificent. A personal question on wireframes. If I have a lot of objects in a scene, my wireframe turns into squares, making it very difficult to position the objects. Is it me or it is something within bryce.

I have been practicing some instancing in my farmhouse.

farmhouse_1.jpg
    1754 x 885 - 338K
    edited December 1969

Oh yeah, instancing. If you have multiple identical copies of something in the scene, don't do that, have one original copy and make the rest instances. It will use somewhat less memory.

Nice! Could be a little bit lighter in the shade for me but that is a personal thing.

This discussion has been closed.