KuJ dForce Medieval Dress for Genesis 9

I am having some pretty bad deforce issues with this product:  https://www.daz3d.com/kuj-dforce-medieval-dress-for-genesis-9

I have watched YouTube tutorials last last and this morning and followed the instructions making sure none of the body parts go into each other.

This dress still crumples terribly when I try to make V9 sit. It is a simple sitting on a rock pose, nothing real elablorate, I notice when I bend her thigh the dress

falls right thru it and then crumples up at the bottom.

Is anyone else having issues with this dress? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,646

Are you using current frame or animated timeline?

I don't have it, but with a sitting pose I would use animated timeline, and then first getting her in sitting pose, and last either puch the rock under her, or her back on the rock.

Also take care that there remain a small gab between the character and the object stting on, else dForce can get trapped.

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,594

I have this product but not tried using dForce on it yet. If you give felis's suggestion to use an animated timeline on it and still have trouble with that then I can try later this evening to see if I have the same issues.

• digitelldigitell Posts: 558

Thank you guys for your suggestions. I will try using the animation timeline and see if I can get it to work.

Many thanks :)

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,552

digitell said:

Thank you guys for your suggestions. I will try using the animation timeline and see if I can get it to work.

Many thanks :)

For a sitting pose drape, there is no other way to make it work in my experience.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,727

I hadn't tried out the dress and this morning I tested it with a G8F pose on Victoria 9. I set the timeline at 30 frames, and using Bone Minion used it on the sitting pose with the outfit on. I picked shoes and stockings from another one. The skirt did look a bit 'shredded' but it had the option to enlarge, which helped. I closed the eye on the skirt, moved the bench up to V9, and raised her up a tiny bit, and then made sure that along the timeline, the bench and the body didn't intersect. Going to '0' and making sure I closed anything not needing to be simulated, I started the animation.

After it was done, there was some tearing. I applied smoothing modifier which helped, but near the top of the right thigh and the front foot, I had to bring out mesh grabber. The foot area got a bit tough, so I changed the color of the sock from white to black.

No explosions.

If G9F had a sitting pose that was appropriate for the era of the dress, maybe it would have been easier. It took longer to go through my library of poses to find one, than to do everything else. But that is my biggest pain with period clothing, modern poses are often inappropriate for antique clothing and behavior.

Mary

Rest in Garden.png
    900 x 900 - 1M

Hi Mary,

Thank you so much for testing this dress and writing your experience with it. Your image looks great! I tried several times to get it to work when finally I just bent her thighs and then her shines just slightly. I used 30 frames and had to stop it around 20 because at 30 the dress crumpled terribly around her ankles. What a pain this dress has been! I thought..maybe I will just paint the skirt on, but then I wouldnt have that lovely plaid. 

Thank you again sooo much for going thru this!

Chrissy

You are most welcome. I think it finding a really good pack of sitting poses is the best thing. Hey, any great PAs want to help us out? Poses for long dresses that can sit, walk, lean, carry a bucket, or whatever the period would be correct... for real people doing real life things?

That would be sooo wonderful Mary! Hopefully they will read this and make some good poses for those dresses :)

If the dress is crumpling oddly on the floor it may be worth also moving the floor up to greet the character as part of the timeline. If you have dForce Assistant it has a script to help automate that.

For the sitting poses I could only find a handfull and those were for G1, G2 & G3 products. So definitely an idea for a PA looking for their next G8/G9 pose-pack to produce.

Hello SofaCitizen,

Thank you for your input!

My first animation with this dress, I didnt not have a floor, then I remembered that with another software that I use, I had to have a floor..so..I

added a floor just so very slightly under her feet, still got that same result of the crumpled dress around the feet. With the other software, using no floor..the dress

would just keep stretching downward. But this crumpling around the feet has got me stumped.

But yeah, we could use some good poses that would work with dforce for the long dresses for sure!

@digitell, I am sorry I have not done more. It's bedtime for me now but I will also have a go at this challenge tomorrow evening to see if I have any better luck. Not that I am any kind of expert at all but sometimes just having a few more people trying something could mean one of us will stumble across the secret to making it work well :)

@SofaCitizen, No worries at all. I am new to this deforce thing and it is difficult for me to grasp the works of it. I agree that if more folks try out the mechanics maybe a solution can be found.

I was thinking I was just doing something terribly wrong, and I posted here to see maybe what that may be. It seems that the reason is that long dresses like this just give deforce a bit of a stumble.

I hope that a workaround can be found. 

Pleasant dreams and thank you!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133

Watch esha's dForce tutorial. It includes the instructions you need to handle a sitting pose.

Hello barbult,

Thank  you for chiming in but yes, that is the video I watched and followed the instructions on the sitting pose, making  sure no body parts were touching or sticking into each other. Making sure there was space between the figure and the item she is sitting on, still  the dress would not behave as expected. Still working on  a solution.

edited January 2023

OK, I looked at the specific product you are having problems with. NO WONDER! Try just bending the legs (thighs and shins) of Genesis 9 into a sitting pose. The KuJ Medieval Dress Under goes crazy. I think the Base Joint Corrective morphs of the skirt are the cause of the problem. The only way I could find to make the dress simulate properly in a sitting position was to turn off the Base Joint Correctives on the Genesis 9 character. That is not an optimum solution at all. I also changed the dress Mesh Resolution from Base to High Resolution and increased the Skirt dynamic strength to 1. I apologize for assuming that your problem was inexperience with dForce, without trying the product first.

Screenshot 2023-01-17 224530.jpg
    1354 x 1539 - 183K
    Screenshot 2023-01-17 224119.jpg
    672 x 608 - 100K
    V9 KjU Dress Sitting_001.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on

Here is better way to fix the bad KuJ Medieval Drerss Under. Run it through the Transfer Utility with the Dress Long Loose template, and save it ias a Figure/Prop Asset. Then always use your saved version instead of the version that came with the product.Now you can leave the Genesis 9 Base Joint Corrrectives on and get proper shape to G9 shoulders, etc.

V9 KUJ Dress Sitting_002_Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M

Thank you so much barbult for testing this. You were correct in assuming I am inexperienced with the dforce. I am..but I have been watching tutorials, as the one you mentioned,

and I couldnt get the dress to behave as it should. I do not know what a "Transfer Utility" is? I will look for it tho. Thank you again for you reassuance! 

Oh, @barbult, that is so much better than the result I got.

When I used Bone Minion, it turned the limits off, so that may have helped because I didn't see dress go crazy. Love your way.

Mary

I don't know why it went so crazy on me. Maybe something was messed up with my Daz Studio at the time. I probably should have closed it and restarted, to see if it still happened.

There didn't seem much point me giving this ago seeing as someone with much more experience has already found not one but two fixes. However, I thought I would look anyway and can atleast confirm that the dress does behave incredibly oddly - I have never seen clothing implode due to a pose before, nor a dress shrink-wrap itself under default dforce conditions.

Not managed to figure out how to "unlock" the Projection Template drop-down in the Transfer Utility yet but the first solution that barbult posted did greatly improve the behaviour.

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,342

Is anyone filing a ticket on this?

tsroemi said:

Is anyone filing a ticket on this?

I've already filed 5 tickets in the last few days and so far they have only responded to 3 of them so I think I have used up my quota for the week :(

Also, I think this one needs to be filed by someone who understands and can explain what is going on here much better than I can.

I am going to file a ticket on it and give a link to this thread. Thank you all for chimming in, at least now I know that there is definatly an issue.

I filed a different technical support ticket 20 days ago on December 19, and other than the automatic response bot, nobody in CS has even acknowledged it. I have so many open tickets...

I really hate to hear that barbult. That is not encouraging. I did submit a support ticket a bit ago, so we will see how it progesses. I will keep it updated here if or if not I get any response.

Thank you again for your input on this issue, I greatly appreciate it.

digitell said:

I really hate to hear that barbult. That is not encouraging. I did submit a support ticket a bit ago, so we will see how it progesses. I will keep it updated here if or if not I get any response.

Thank you again for your input on this issue, I greatly appreciate it.

Did you ever hear back on that ticket yet? 

Yes,

They requested I send them the scene I was having the issue with and I did. They said it may be the rock I was using and asked that I removed the rock and try. I did and the dress

still jumbled up. I am unsure if this can be resolved.

Huh, sounds to me like the dress needs to be updated by the PA, really. I'm not sure if I can find the time, but I'll try to do some dForcing with it as well. Maybe it'll help things along if more tickets are submitted. It IS a nice dress, to be sure, would be such a pity if it wasn't really useable.

Hi Tsroemi, Thank you! Yes, if more tickets would be submitted maybe they would try to update/fix it. The way it is now, it probably appears to be that I am just someone who doesnt know what they are doing.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    edited February 2023

barbult said:

I filed a different technical support ticket 20 days ago on December 19, and other than the automatic response bot, nobody in CS has even acknowledged it. I have so many open tickets...

Maybe it depends on how easy it is to investigate the problem.  I opened a ticket the other day about a bad UV (simple issue),  got a respons within two days requesting more info which I gave and which clearly showed the problem, then I got another reply two days later that they had confirmed the problem and put it on the fix list.

Post edited by Taoz on