Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.22.0.15! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• IceCrMn said:

New beta is here.

• Added support for the “Iray Ghost Light Factor” property on standard light types when NVIDIA Iray is the active renderer

• Experimental

• If a DzFloatProperty (user) property named “Iray Ghost Light Factor”, with the property group path of “Display/Rendering/Iray” and a default value of 1.0 is added to a pointlight/spotlight with “Light Geometry” set to a value other than “Point”, the value of this property is used to control visibility in glossy interactions
    • See official documentation for more information

Anyone try it out yet? 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/609556/creating-a-ghost-light-daz-studio-4-21-1-25 ;

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114
    edited December 2022

DoctorJellybean said:

IceCrMn said:

New beta is here.

• Added support for the “Iray Ghost Light Factor” property on standard light types when NVIDIA Iray is the active renderer

• Experimental

• If a DzFloatProperty (user) property named “Iray Ghost Light Factor”, with the property group path of “Display/Rendering/Iray” and a default value of 1.0 is added to a pointlight/spotlight with “Light Geometry” set to a value other than “Point”, the value of this property is used to control visibility in glossy interactions
    • See official documentation for more information

Anyone try it out yet? 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/609556/creating-a-ghost-light-daz-studio-4-21-1-25 ;

Thank you, I missed that post. 

Post edited by IceCrMn on
  • Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871
    edited December 2022

See the new DS beta release today -- Am excited!  May finally update from beta 4.16.1.43.    

BUT question.  Are OOT hairs still being investigated?  ie. not addressed or fixed?  Think that was reported 2-3 weeks ago at least? 

Starting to think it's an Nvida issue, like Ghost lights.  In this case, seems pick a different shader as a work-around for Iray-preview? (will see how that goes).

Link to one OOT hair thread updated today:  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/608501/crashing-issue#latest

Would appreciate guidance here.  smiley

Or is this like an unofficial bounty, like DAZ store search help, where users get to help investigate? laugh (think that was a good idea.  thx DAZ)

Post edited by Saxa -- SD on
  • Saxa -- SD said:

See the new DS beta release today -- Am excited!  May finally update from beta 4.16.1.43.    

BUT question.  Are OOT hairs still being investigated?  ie. not addressed or fixed?  Think that was reported 2-3 weeks ago at least? 

Starting to think it's an Nvida issue, like Ghost lights.  In this case, seems pick a different shader as a work-around for Iray-preview? (will see how that goes).

Link to one OOT hair thread updated today:  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/608501/crashing-issue#latest

Would appreciate guidance here.  smiley

Or is this like an unofficial bounty, like DAZ store search help, where users get to help investigate? laugh (think that was a good idea.  thx DAZ)

The crash occurs in Iray and not Daz Studio when "Transmission Color" has a map applied. To prevent the crash, remove any map applied to "Transmission Color". It has been reported to NVIDIA.

• DoctorJellybean said:

The crash occurs in Iray and not Daz Studio when "Transmission Color" has a map applied. To prevent the crash, remove any map applied to "Transmission Color". It has been reported to NVIDIA.

Awesome! Thank you.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

The text input boxes don't lose focus if you accidently move the mouse after clicking in one and start to type.

Been waiting for this to get fixed for thousands* of years :)

Thank you Daz!

*well maybe not that long, but it's been a really long time.

• IceCrMn said:

The text input boxes don't lose focus if you accidently move the mouse after clicking in one and start to type.

Been waiting for this to get fixed for thousands* of years :)

Thank you Daz!

*well maybe not that long, but it's been a really long time.

I believe this was a Qt issue, so it may have been fixed due to the prep work for the enxt major version.

• VividImaginatorVividImaginator Posts: 38
    edited December 2022

I just tested Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.21.1.26 and I found something curious...

To prevent the iray crash with OOT hairstyles we must remove any map attached to 'Transmission Color.'

I tested it and indeed the render went through with no problems; I also tested dForce and it is working as intended (Yay!)

But then I noticed that my character's eyes had a transmission color map... the trasmission color map was RGB; it was a color map.

OOT hairstyles seem to have linear maps (the ones that use black and white or gray scale.)

I wonder if the bug only afects linear maps and we can use color maps for transmission color.

Maybe we can replace the linear map in the 'Transmission Color' with the diffuse color! (thinking face)

I'm using NVIDIA Studio Driver 527.56

Post edited by VividImaginator on
  • Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871
    edited December 2022

This Speed test was first.  Based on this one initial test, just wanted to say thanks Daz (and Nvidia) team for what looks like a return to decent speed. 

Just a preliminary report from the wild, as a previous DS beta 4.16.1.43 user.  Did the upgrade.
    Using Nvidia 527.37.
    GPU-Z reporting 869-871MB VRAM with DS closed and a few apps open (win10).  So subtract that from MB #'s below.

Same scene render from 1920x1080 anim series, 1 g8f, complex multi lighting, 80% + surrounded by heavy architecture, and various render options on like Guided Sampling, DS denoise:

DS 4.21.1.26 1min 51secs, 7075 MB, then ratchets up to 7517 MB, then 7808 MB when final render done(both Viewport & Render active in IRAY)
    DS 4.16.1.43 2min 12secs, 6833 MB, then ratchets up to 7278 MB, then 7566 MB when final render done (both Viewport & Render active in IRAY)

Image quality is visually different in a minor way a few places, but close enough for my purposes.

So diff,
    for my one test (that ran several times open & closing each DS session)

4.21.1.26 faster to produce same quality image at a diff of 18-21 seconds, or 15-18% (132/111=18% & 132/114=15%)
    4.21.1.26 memory footprint was higher at about 250mb more for this test render.  So about 3% more.

Note to Nvidia: would be nice for next step up past 24GB.

Post edited by Saxa -- SD on
  • f7eerf7eer Posts: 117

In the beta version of Daz Studio (4.21.1.26), the new version of IRAY (NVIDIA Iray 2022.1.1 (363600.1657)) breaks hdri environment domes which are .exr files.

I have four Flipmode products (FMEETreeOfLife (sku: 31867), FMEE GreenHills (sku: 15465), FMEE HighPeaks (sku: 36123), FMEE Eternal White (sku: 36141)), which use files of this type.

I get the following error message when rendering:

2022-12-23 14:04:14.081 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(377): Iray [ERROR] - IMAGE:IO ::   1.0   IMAGE  io   error: The image plugin "oiio_exr" failed to import "C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\textures\FM_EasyEnvironments\GreenHills\EEGreenHills.exr".

The result of the render is a sky dome colored bright magenta.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

f7eer said:

In the beta version of Daz Studio (4.21.1.26), the new version of IRAY (NVIDIA Iray 2022.1.1 (363600.1657)) breaks hdri environment domes which are .exr files.

I have four Flipmode products (FMEETreeOfLife (sku: 31867), FMEE GreenHills (sku: 15465), FMEE HighPeaks (sku: 36123), FMEE Eternal White (sku: 36141)), which use files of this type.

I get the following error message when rendering:

2022-12-23 14:04:14.081 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(377): Iray [ERROR] - IMAGE:IO ::   1.0   IMAGE  io   error: The image plugin "oiio_exr" failed to import "C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\textures\FM_EasyEnvironments\GreenHills\EEGreenHills.exr".

The result of the render is a sky dome colored bright magenta.

I get exactly the same result - error message and magenta sky.

• This may well be a result of nVida switching to OIIO instead of Freeimage for file handling (I believe). Please make a report, with simple steps to reproduce (by the soundd of it load a preset and render - I do have three of these but not currently installed and the downloader is busy so I can't check yet).

• OK, I can confirm - off to make a report.

Richard Haseltine said:

OK, I can confirm - off to make a report.

Do you still want us to submit tickets, or would that be redundant with your report?

Beauty Canvas EXR files that I created myself in Daz Studio, load fine in the Render Settings Environment Map, though. So not all EXR files fail.

• I don't think that this is a problem with the new OpenImage IO. Also the current DS release 4.21 with FreeImage can not load these EXR files properly. They render in Iray, but instead of the image thumbnail/preview in Environment Map (or any surface if you load them there as texture map) you only get a weird gray something with only a few bright pixels. And those EXR images also lead to a straight crash of the EXR file plugin of GIMP (2.10.30) if you try to open them!

Workaround: Load the EXR in Picturenaut and simply resave them as EXR again. Well, they will get about 3 times bigger in file size. If you load these resaved EXRs in the DS release, it will show the thumbnail as usual. Also will load in GIMP without crash. And probably also the DS Beta with OpenImage then will load the EXR and render it. Can not try it, I do no longer use the DS beta.

I am pretty sure that there is a general format problem with those affected EXR files. Probably more likely a task for Flipmode to fix it.

• f7eerf7eer Posts: 117

stefan.hums said:

I don't think that this is a problem with the new OpenImage IO. Also the current DS release 4.21 with FreeImage can not load these EXR files properly. They render in Iray, but instead of the image thumbnail/preview in Environment Map (or any surface if you load them there as texture map) you only get a weird gray something with only a few bright pixels. And those EXR images also lead to a straight crash of the EXR file plugin of GIMP (2.10.30) if you try to open them!

Workaround: Load the EXR in Picturenaut and simply resave them as EXR again. Well, they will get about 3 times bigger in file size. If you load these resaved EXRs in the DS release, it will show the thumbnail as usual. Also will load in GIMP without crash. And probably also the DS Beta with OpenImage then will load the EXR and render it. Can not try it, I do no longer use the DS beta.

I am pretty sure that there is a general format problem with those affected EXR files. Probably more likely a task for Flipmode to fix it.

The current general release of Daz Studio, 4.21.0.5, handles the Flipmode .exr files without generating an error. That doesn't mean they are right, though. I agree this could easily be a Flipmode problem.

DS 4.21.1.26 was the first version I noticed the problem. I don't know if it was present in 4.21.1.13 or not. I stopped using 4.21.1.13 when it could not render various OOT hairs I was using. Now I am committed to 4.21.1.26 because of the large number of other improvements, so I have to change the hairs and change the light dome for particular scenes.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,858
    edited December 2022

barbult said:

Richard Haseltine said:

OK, I can confirm - off to make a report.

Do you still want us to submit tickets, or would that be redundant with your report?

You could report with additional products - I reported only the Green Hills set, to keep things simple. I would think it would be particularly helpful if you find products from other vendors that are affected, as that might make it easier to figure out the root cause.

I'm sure this is an issue with only some .exrs, at a guess from a single application, as a more general issue would almost certainly have been caught by nVidia in their own testing.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • DoctorJellybean said:

I wonder what is the reason that Daz is providing the scripts that set single object properties (including the old one Create Advanced Iray Node Properties.dse) as encrypted?

Is this some sacred hidden scripting knowledge that we shouldn't have or something? I would like to create a single script to add all those properties instead of having to run 3-4 scripts.

• johndoe_36eb90b0 said:

DoctorJellybean said:

I wonder what is the reason that Daz is providing the scripts that set single object properties (including the old one Create Advanced Iray Node Properties.dse) as encrypted?

Is this some sacred hidden scripting knowledge that we shouldn't have or something? I would like to create a single script to add all those properties instead of having to run 3-4 scripts.

The author is under no obligation to share their code. There are already a host of available, readable samples generously provided here http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/start which, with the isntructions given on manually creating ther equired properties, should be sufficient to enable someone to write their own code tailored to their needs.

• f7eer said:

stefan.hums said:

The current general release of Daz Studio, 4.21.0.5, handles the Flipmode .exr files without generating an error. That doesn't mean they are right, though. I agree this could easily be a Flipmode problem.

DS 4.21.1.26 was the first version I noticed the problem. I don't know if it was present in 4.21.1.13 or not. I stopped using 4.21.1.13 when it could not render various OOT hairs I was using. Now I am committed to 4.21.1.26 because of the large number of other improvements, so I have to change the hairs and change the light dome for particular scenes.

I noticed possible problems with Flipmode EXR files already a few DS releases back. Can not remember exactly, but at least since DS 4.15.0.2. With the IBL Master product from Parris, I modified it for me with 'abusing' the 3DL environment sphere for showing the dome image also in Texture Shaded viewport, it is loaded there as Diffuse and Ambient Color map. Every HDR and 'normal' EXR file is shown on the sphere, those EXR from Flipmode do not load, the sphere becomes pure white in Texture Shaded.

Btw: I tried loading a Flipmode EXR (EE Highlands) in Krita, also there: can not be opened. "Could not open EEH_Environment01HDR.exr. Reason: The file format contains unsupported color space."

Something must be in those files that some software including the new OpenImage IO of DS doesn't like.

• YnverYnver Posts: 21

It's funny if you try in front of a mirror.

I've used a mirror prop from this product: https://www.daz3d.com/eurotel-premium-bedroom

An emissive sphere and a standard Point Light are put in front of the mirror as shown in the screenshot.

First render Ghost Light Factor 1 and second Ghost Light Factor 1.01. In the second the light is not reflected but the objects are still visible in the mirror. The point light appears as a black hole and the sphere as a normal object losing its emissive properties.

I personally think that it still needs a bit tweaking, but having the possibility of easily turning standard Point and Spot Lights into Ghost Lights is really promising.

Ghost Light Factor.jpg
    1917 x 1026 - 287K
    Ghost Light Factor 1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 77K
    Ghost Light Factor 1.01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 73K
  • Ynver said:

It's funny if you try in front of a mirror.

I've used a mirror prop from this product: https://www.daz3d.com/eurotel-premium-bedroom

An emissive sphere and a standard Point Light are put in front of the mirror as shown in the screenshot.

First render Ghost Light Factor 1 and second Ghost Light Factor 1.01. In the second the light is not reflected but the objects are still visible in the mirror. The point light appears as a black hole and the sphere as a normal object losing its emissive properties.

I personally think that it still needs a bit tweaking, but having the possibility of easily turning standard Point and Spot Lights into Ghost Lights is really promising.

Sadly, with reflections still being broken this is fixing basically nothing :( As most realistic scenes have reflections at some degree.

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 742

IceCrMn said:

New beta is here.

Anyone try it out yet? 

No, but it sounds about right.  The whole shebang is still unfathomable; a light source IRL can produce a diffuse reflection in a matte surface.  This allows it to be seen, allbeit in a somewhat diffuse way.

Personally every time I looked at it I came to the conclusion that it was a bug masquerading as a feature masquerading as something I might want, sometime.  NOT.

• YnverYnver Posts: 21
    edited December 2022

Sadly, with reflections still being broken this is fixing basically nothing :( As most realistic scenes have reflections at some degree.

My little experience, funny things only happen with mirrors and sometimes eyes, but most of the scenarios are fine.

BTW Ghost Lights from kindredArts works fine with mirrors.

Well the patch notes says it’s experimental so we’ll see how it works

Ghost Light kit screen.jpg
    1914 x 1025 - 268K
    Ghost Light kit.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 80K
    Post edited by Ynver on
  • ImagoImago Posts: 4,900

New beta, old bugs... Still impossible move root keyframes in the timeline, copy-paste keyframes, filter parameters sliders in the graph pane, frame props in the workspace, save aliases and custom moprhs in the puppeteer dots, save changes and custom actions in the Scripts menu... Just to name few!

I wonder if DAZ3D even cares about animators, it's since version 4.12.0.86 that almost all animation tools are broken beyond usability. Devs should know that animations isn't just about downloading a BVH from Mixamo and applying it to figures.

Is getting really painful work only on DAZ Studio 4.12, especially when you try to make a living out of your works.

• Imago said:

New beta, old bugs... Still impossible move root keyframes in the timeline, copy-paste keyframes, filter parameters sliders in the graph pane, frame props in the workspace, save aliases and custom moprhs in the puppeteer dots, save changes and custom actions in the Scripts menu... Just to name few!

if there are no changes logged for these featues then of course there will be no change.

I wonder if DAZ3D even cares about animators, it's since version 4.12.0.86 that almost all animation tools are broken beyond usability. Devs should know that animations isn't just about downloading a BVH from Mixamo and applying it to figures.

Is getting really painful work only on DAZ Studio 4.12, especially when you try to make a living out of your works.

• DiasporaDiaspora Posts: 411

just tried 4.21.1.26, Iray still underutilizes the RTX 4090 :(

• vzxvzx Posts: 8

I opened Flipmode's EXR in Photoshop with OpenEXR plug-in. The color space is sRGB and Wavelet is used to compress the file. The colorspace has no issues. I re-compressed the file with common RLE or Zlib and it displays fine.

• Is there any way to turn off the "Zero is often chosen when Restore is the true intent" pop-up window when I zero an item's pose? I've never had it before this recent beta and I'm about to punch a hole in my screen. I use "zero" all the time as part of my workflow and "never" want to restore instead of Zero. How do I turn this off?