Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 9

Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Thanks Mermaid. :)

Someone was asking about Tumbleweed in another thread... I hope it's OK to post this here.
    I went down the Volumetric route and used David's Pro Materials/Fluff and chose the one called Threads then altered the colour and blurriness of it. Just applied to a single sphere.

Tumblweed.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 348K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,981
    edited December 1969

Wow Dave this is really awesome, thanks for mentioning how you went about make it.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,103
    edited December 1969

@Sandy - great grass. I like your cloud slab.

@Dave - grass looks very convincing, the flower is a great detail and the snake is also nice. The desert scene with the Tumbleweed is fantastic. Cool idea to use volumetrics.

edited December 1969

Thanks Mermaid and no problem.... Always happy to try and give info. :)

Thanks Horo. The Dandelion was a freebie from X-Frog.... Re textured in Bryce.
    The snake skin is the one I made last year with a few tweaks.
    The grass was 3000 instances of Grass 19 clump with customised material settings.

Today I turned my attention from snakes to snails. This could probably do with a bit more sliminess or something. SSS would be a great help too.
    There's no detail in the body mesh, but I'm thinking about trying to add some altitude controlled variation.

SnailB.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 469K
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 489
    edited March 2015

Great looking work, all! Dave, the snail looks really good. Like you mentioned, a little extra shine on the soft body parts would add to the realism, but still looks realistic without it.

Went back to this tutorial of David's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvMDkUFH_Bc) and tried to see if I could accomplish the same thing without masking. To do that, I incorporated the concepts David presented here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3omacqJ7JM) and came up with the following. No masking necessary and done all in one pass. I think his original created with masking looks sharper, but I'm still seeing if I can match it closer.

My first anaglyph created with David/Horo's True 3D Rendering product. A little bit of competition of colors when viewed through the glasses, but not too bad.

PearlAnaglyph.jpg
    800 x 800 - 629K
    Combined_Methods.jpg
    800 x 800 - 570K
    Post edited by Fencepost52 on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

More nice renders have been produced.

edited December 1969

Horo- Thanks for your nice comment on my surreal render

Dave – the snail is looking really nice.

Art – both your renders are nice, the Anaglyph awesome

• vivienvivien Posts: 184
    edited December 1969

Thank you all for the comments

Sandy - Now I can see the skull, and understand the name (death in the fog) . Interesting result from your cloud slab.

Horo - The turtle really adds to the scene, pity the ducks flew away. Looks great anyway. and thank you for adding the bto files... Saves so much time.

Dave - I spend so much time admiring every single one of your renders. From your St Helens scene to your snail. Truly magical. What do you mean by SSS.

Mermaid. - I like the warm feeling of your surreal sunset, Very nice

Electro - elvis. The path and grass turned out so well . How did you manage it.

Art - Very nice effect, especially the first render.

The 2 worlds was supposed to be a mountain with the waterfall, but I run out of talent, and this is the result.

2_worlds.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 239K
    edited December 1969

vivien1 said:
    Dave - I spend so much time admiring every single one of your renders. From your St Helens scene to your snail. Truly magical. What do you mean by SSS.

SSS is Subsurface Scattering. Something Bryce doesn't do and someting that a lot of us have tried to replicate in various ways,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsurface_scattering

edited December 1969

@Dave - the snail looks quite good. Yup, a bit sliminess would help, but difficult.

@Art - interesting examples. If you do anaglyphs, use desaturated or monochrome colours.

@vivien1 - thank you and you're welcome. Your 2 worlds are a nice idea and it turned out great.

edited March 2015

Horo said:
    @Art - interesting examples. If you do anaglyphs, use desaturated or monochrome colours.

I was wondering about that. I've set up a desaturated version, but haven't yet tested it with glasses, but I'll post tonight when I get to verify it. However, here's crossover versions in desaturated & color. The reflections in the color version play with your eyes. I removed the reflections in the desaturated version.

@vivien1: Very nice scene. I completely get what you're saying about running out of talent. That happens to me ALL the time. SIGH......

ETA: Anaglyph image

PearlAnaglyph.jpg
    800 x 800 - 469K
    PearlCrossoverColor.jpg
    800 x 400 - 279K
    PearlCrossover.jpg
    800 x 400 - 180K
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 845
    edited December 1969

Thank you all for your comments

vivien1 said:

Electro - elvis. The path and grass turned out so well . How did you manage it.

@vivien1: I used two identical terrains, one for the path and one for the grass. The positon of the grass terrains is a tiny little bit below the path terrain (see object attributes). I painted the path itself in the grass terrain with the lowest elevation level and... oh that's a bit hard to explain, because I don't know the name of this ruler beside the terrain canvas (you can switch it and a few other option on and off, when you click on the little option just left on the little arrow on the top left side of the terrain canvas). With this ruler you have to fade out the lowest levels of your terrain by moving the brace just beside the ruler a bit up. You know, for making the lower parts of terrain red. :-D

That is handy. When you use your brush to place your IL instances you don't have to care, whether they land on the path or not, then in the IL the faded out parts of the grass terrain are neglected.

I hope, I could make myself a bit clear.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited December 1969

Looking through my library I came across the lantern and it grew from there. DAZ dragon, Art's background, dead tree from Bryce (I think), one of David's volume fires and a parallel light in the lantern, HDRI from the sky and moonlight. Took a while to render :) I had intended using a moth/butterfly but haven't brought any over from DAZ Studio yet and used the dragon instead.

Drawn to the Light

drawn-to-the-light-001.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 438K
  • FONSECAFONSECA Posts: 471
    edited December 1969

TheSavage64

Thanks for your clever tumbleweed creation method idea. I posted a longer reply over at Fishtales Willow post.

edited December 1969

Vivien1- The 2 worlds is nice composition, I can relate to running out of talent :)

Art – The Anaglyph pops.

Sandy – Drawn to the light is really nicely done.

edited December 1969

Dave - Thank you for your SSS explanation

Electro - elvis. - I think I follow your path procedure. Thanks for sharing

Art- Thank you... I like your latest anaglyph. The color is much better

Horo - Thank you for your kind comment

Sandy - Your dragon seems to be mesmerized by the light. Nice work

Mermaid - Thank you for your comment.

edited March 2015

@Art - wow, the anaglyph looks great. Yes, reflections can degrade the experience. My Anaglyph tutorial on my website is 15 years old but this fact is already documented with an example. The cross-eyes don't work for me, but I found them always a bit difficult.

@Sandy - very nice dragon render and lantern.

Post edited by Horo on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,754
    edited December 1969

Hi all,

So many great renders! I really like all the grass-works. And the snail is amazing.

I remade one of my earlier desert (or dune) landscapes. I left out the birds and widened the view. It started to take forever to render until I apparently saved it in another view and lost days of rendering (mostly nights, when I wasn't doing anything else and days when I was at work). Then I decided: "I am stupid. I should cut down render times and not just wait forever." So I deleted quite a bit of grass that was hardly or not visible at all and did not do transparency on all the grass. Now it rendered in just 15 hours or so. Still quite a bit, but OK for me.

Star of the show is the HDRI that is also the background, which I found on a website (and the link is in the earlier render, I think).

Hope you like it. Name: Desert sun.

desert_sun_1.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 731K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Although I've not been contributing much these last few weeks. Still learning Modo, easy to use somewhat pedestrian Modo. I have been following what has been going on and itching to get something done. I thought today I'd finally finished off with the current project only to discover I'd once again fallen foul of Poser's imperial measurements. Modo works in metric, sensible Modo, Poser in imperial, stupid Poser! I really do not like Poser. I don't like its interface. I don't like that it uses imperial and not metric. I don't like all the dials. Or... or... or... Or the fact that every time I load it it insists on putting a figure in the scene, that I then have to delete. Indeed it seems to revolve entirely around figures, so much so that subdivision is called "skinning" - ironically what I'd like to do the marketing department at Smith Micro. Obviously (and I point this out for balance) this is only a matter of personal taste. Doubtless there are those that love Poser as much as I loathe it. Anyways... grumbles aside... What I can do is share a Bryce render of a little something Forbidden Whispers and I have been working on. This one, unlike the prison block which due to a bit of a miscalculation with subdivision surfaces, turned out to be a bit too bulky for Bryce, will export in. So I gave it a render and then, decided to try my hand at a bit of postwork in PSP8. Render time 1 hour 40 at premium render, soft shadows from a single light source and TA using a hypertexture driven gel light. 64 RPP.

First the raw render. Then the postworked version. Just bear in mind, postwork is not something I know much about.

PVA1_pw.jpg
    800 x 800 - 614K
    PVA_TA1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 759K
    edited March 2015

Horo said:
    @Art - wow, the anaglyph looks great. Yes, reflections can degrade the experience. My Anaglyph tutorial on my website is 15 years old but this fact is already documented with an example. The cross-eyes don't work for me, but I found them always a bit difficult.

Thanks, Horo. Funny how some things really affect how we see images. Never thought reflections would create that much of an issue, but boy was I wrong. About sent myself into a seizure with the one I trying to figure out what was going on! Cross-eyed images work best for me. I can hardly view the parallel versions.

@vivien1/mermaid: Thanks for the feedback. I like it too! Love 3D imagery.

@hansmar: Your reworked scene looks nice. It's good you were able to discover what was slowing down the render and could improve that.

@Sandy, nice work on the dragon scene. Glad you were able to find some use for the background.

@David: New scene looks great, David. I actually prefer the raw version to the postworked. Looks darker, which is what I think most jail areas should look like. Although I do try to stay away from them! :)

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited December 1969

Art

It isn't the first time I have used it. I wanted something fast and I remembered seeing it when I was looking through my library. I just added some texture to it but I usually use it with one of my own images from my Scottish landscapes :-)

Here is a close-up of the dragon render. I noticed the reflection in the glass in the big render and wondered how it would come out in close.

Drawn to the Light 2

drawn-to-the-light-002.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 500K
    edited December 1969

Fishtales said:
    It isn't the first time I have used it. I wanted something fast and I remembered seeing it when I was looking through my library. I just added some texture to it but I usually use it with one of my own images from my Scottish landscapes :-)

Well, I'm happy it's been of use.

Here is a close-up of the dragon render. I noticed the reflection in the glass in the big render and wondered how it would come out in close.

Drawn to the Light 2

That's just an awesome render! Great work all around. Detail on the dragon is great and the reflection is snazzy! :)

Here's my recent landscape effort. Water and mountain textures from David/Horo's High Resolution Terrain Set 4 ; mountain is from an old Bryce file (Ken Musgrave's Planet X); and a Wings-modified version of Vista Viewer.

HighResLandscape4_1.jpg
    1500 x 750 - 886K
    edited December 1969

@hansmar - very nice render. A bit of sun soft shadows would have been good.

@David - nice render of a less nice place. I prefer the raw render. A street light or something outside would have been an improvement. But if the building is on a cliff overlooking the sea, it would be so dark outside, except if the moon is up at the right place.

@Sandy - I think this version is even better than the previous one.

@Art - very nice render. I like the detail of the rocks in the water.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Art - very nice render. I like the detail of the rocks in the water.

Thank you, Horo. I don't think I can take credit for that. I believe it's the interaction of the terrain and water materials. However, I, too, am pleased with the results. I also like how the waves appear to be moving into the cove, just like they would naturally.

Newest render is some testing out of a new ready-to-render scene I created from this HDRI pack:
    Yosemite HDRI Pack 2

In a 3D world, you just never know what you'll come across in the middle of the road. :)

Yosemite11RTRScene_1.jpg
    1500 x 750 - 1M
    edited April 2015

Hansmar- the reworked scene looks great.

David – nice scene, the postwork looks good too.

Sandy – this render is awesome

Art - cool render, is the foam the “sea foam Easter egg” ?

ETA: Horo thanks for your comment to my entry in the challenge thread. I've been trying for days to post there but keep getting an error message. Anyone else having the same problem.......?

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858
    edited December 1969

this was inspired by a place i went to recently to visit some family here in Australia :)

Aus_Desert.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 238K
    edited December 1969

@Art - nice try with the Yosemite HDRI but I'm somehow not convinced. The shape at right shouldn't get so much sunlight. The shadows seem correct, after all, the camera was in the shadow when the pano was shot.

@Tim - very nice scene.

Here are two cubes I made a while ago in Wings3D, one within the other. The camera has the GWL boltet to it. Everything is at world centre and lit by the specular convolved HDRI from inside that also provides specularity. The reflections from the HDRI backdrop.

TransForm.jpg
    800 x 800 - 197K
    edited December 1969

Minimalist beach scene.

WetBeachGirl.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 184K
    edited December 1969

hansmar - I really like the texture of your sand dunes. Nicely done

Art - Great looking landscape. particularly the waves. And thank you for the warning I have to be careful next time I drive through the 3d highway.. Well done

Tim Bateman - Beautiful scene. Love the sky. Northern Territory I suppose.

Horo - I would have never thought this were 2 cubes. Very nice effect.

David - Great render. I have to agree with the rest, the raw one looks more realistic

Sandy - The close up of the dragon looks really good. I like the reflection on the lamp

Dave - Yes, I do remember my photo being taken. Ha Ha. Seriously, nice beach scene.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,754
    edited April 2015

@David Brinnen: Wonderful indoor scene. I am tempted to disagree with the others about the preference. The nice thing about the lower one is the additional light on the door, which sounds reasonable with a light so close to the door on the ceiling, However, part of it is a bit washed out, so I think the effect is a bit too much.

@Fishtales: Good idea to also take a close-up. Works really well.

@fencepost52: Thanks. And lovely landscape. Reminds me of Greece. The one with the background has some distortion on the objects, I think. The sphere is not spherical for instance.

@Horo: Thank you. You are right: soff shadows would have been a good idea. And: 'cubes' you said? Nice distortions!

@Tim Bateman: Love your evening render. Great clouds!

@TheSavage64: Very lovely scene. Wonderful wave and very sexy lady!

@Vivien1: Thanks. It was a texture by David Brinnen. I think I modified the colours and the frequency a little. David contributed lots of great textures, either to use as such, or as a starting point.

Post edited by Hansmar on
This discussion has been closed.