Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 9

Comments

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 842
    edited March 2015

@Fishtales: Uh, that's foggy. Great atmosphere

@TheSavage64: Your modelled car has a nice colour (of course your real car, too). The chrome rims also look good and because they are modelled they have the advantage you have not to be careful not to scratch them.

@mermaid010: I like your second render a bit more, too. But the difference between the first one is small. I am not sure, if a bit more sun would nearly compensate the brighter impression the second picture gives.

@Tim Bateman: Cool scorpion-like animal

@CTippetts: Funny conversation with yourself :-D and the socket looks good.

@vivien1: I like your court-yard, especially the tree. One little thing maybe, the wall on the left side is a bit darker than the other wall, but there is one narrow brighter band, which does confuse me a little bit ;-) But all in all a great picture.

@fencepost52: Your eagle scene is amazing.

Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

@Tim - nice bike, a fast one, I reckon.

@Sandy - very convincing fog scene.

edited March 2015

Some tips that you may find helpful:
    When using Grass in the instancing lab, I always use the larger clumps because they are a lot more random. This helps because the IL is broken and the "Rotate" feature is unreliable ie: It doesn't rotate Bryce grass or trees.

I made a few test renders because I could not really believe what you said, though I had occassionaly experienced it formerly. But of course your are right and shame on me ;-)

But I began think about it.The problem is AFAIK, that the IL can not rotate grouped objects, but ungrouped are not a problem. I took "grass 19" ungrouped it and got 3 objects. I selected all of them in IL and they rotated!

I like the result and think for grass this is a useful workaround. But of course if you need any trees or clumps of grass it does not help. Here a short grassy picture

ungroupedgrass.jpg
    800 x 480 - 486K
    edited December 1969

@electro-elvis - very nice example of grass. Yes, grouped objects don't rotate in the IL but ungrouped do. What I did with grouped trees is ungroup them, create an instance, grouped the new instance, rotated it and repeated this 4 times. Then I used all those groups in the IL.

edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you, clever idea.

edited December 1969

@electro-elvis - you're welcome. The kudos go to Rashad, I had read this in his IL document, tried it and it works.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

But I began think about it.The problem is AFAIK, that the IL can not rotate grouped objects, but ungrouped are not a problem. I took "grass 19" ungrouped it and got 3 objects. I selected all of them in IL and they rotated!

I like the result and think for grass this is a useful workaround. But of course if you need any trees or clumps of grass it does not help. Here a short grassy picture

That grass looks mighty fine and very realistic Electro-Elvis.
    Yes, as you say the problem is the grouped objects. I was giving the most simplistic work around with the larger clumps of grass suggestion.
    Your way gives better results, but you're still working with the larger clumps of grass which because there are so many at different angles already, you can just about get away with not ungrouping and rotating them in the IL. :-)

• JStryderJStryder Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

Alive, Free, Happy.

Volumetric clouds and island by David & Horo (slightly bashed)
    Hein by Nursoda.
    Happiness from within.

Hein_Estatic_1950.jpg
    1950 x 1200 - 265K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956
    edited December 1969

Electro-elvis – Thanks, very nice example of grass and explanation how you did it.

JStryder – cool render - Alive, Free, Happy.

Re-rendered the marshland scene, using Ibl, with cast shadows off and linear falloff – Regular Render 5 ½ minutes and it’s such an improved on the 1st one I posted. The 2nd one same setting but this time Premium render 16Rpp, 12minutes. There is only a very slight difference in both renders. Thanks for the help.

marshland4-prem.jpg
    833 x 487 - 97K
    marshland3-regular.jpg
    833 x 487 - 102K
    edited March 2015

@JStryder - great render, really like the idea and how it's done.

@mermaid010 - very nice marshland scene. Quite an improvement in time.

I've been playing with slepalex's method to make a grass patch from a tree as he explains here:Pond in old park (scroll down to the comments). So here's only one single tree and the ground plane - and Hitomi, of course. Lit by the sun and an HDRI made from the same sky but without the sun.

TreeGrass.jpg
    800 x 533 - 176K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

There are certainly some mighty fine renders since my last visit.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,750
    edited December 1969

I have to agree with GussNemo: very nice renders since my last visit and comments too. I am not even going to try to comment on each. Great work!

edited March 2015

Thanks Horo, yes a great improvement in render time and the results are very pleasing. The tree-grass render is very nice.

Hi Guss where are you hiding yourself these days. :roll: Hope to see some renders from you soon. :)

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • vivienvivien Posts: 184
    edited December 1969

So many great renders

@ Tim - Nice looking kind of scorpion, the blue venom looks quite deadly, and the bike looks good as well

@ Mermaid - Thanks for the comment. Your first 2 marsh renders look really nice, but your second post of renders show a real improvement.

@ David - What a great looking tower. It certainly sounds to me like a complex procedure.

@ The Savage - Nice wheels, the model and the real one.

@ Horo - Thank you for your comment . Im not sure if I used ambiance . I made a few renders experimenting with different lighting. And I like the idea of using one tree as grass. I'll check stepalex comments.

@ Sandy - Nice foggy effect. Somehow it doesn't look deadly to me

@ electro-elvis - Thank you for your comment. I have no idea where that line on the wall comes from. By the way, I really love your grass. I certainly have to have a go at making some.

@ JStryder - He certainly looks free and happy.

I have been looking at photos of Krabi and Phi Phi island.. They inspired me to make my own private gateway.

pipi4.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 344K
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,039
    edited December 1969

vivien1

Very realistic render, well done.

It would be deadly if any ship hit the rocks or Dr. Death got you as he rises from the depths :-)

I changed the HDRI and the bright light appeared from somewhere so I have moved the skull forward so that the light shines through it :)

death-in-the-mist-002.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 158K
    edited March 2015

@vivien1 - nice place to be, looks warm.

@Sandy - interesting idea, the light through the skull looks cool.

I've expanded on the grass patch scene above (previous page) and added sea turtles (DAZ), an Eurolink (Google Warehouse), instanced an autumn birch from the bto-library and changed the HDRI. It's called Watching Ducks. They were in the pond but took the air frightened by the noise of the passing train. That's why Hitomi looks up and we have no ducks in the scene.

WatchingDucks.jpg
    668 x 1000 - 182K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Horo

It's what I call a 'Bob Ross' moment, it wasn't planned it just happened. :-)

The grass looks a bit sharp for sitting on but still, a nice render.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

We have a new Bryce user here looking to learn how to make an island in Bryce. Any suggestions to add to the thread http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54444/#791210
    , perhaps a few choice tutorial links?

edited December 1969

A few of today's renders....

CruiserMustard.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 318K
    GrassScape2.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 593K
    GrassScape.jpg
    1300 x 1300 - 617K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64, I like the mountain scene. I did notice that the tips of all the trees are absolutely identical though; I wonder if they might benefit from a few strategically placed primitives to add (or negative booleans to remove) a branch or leaf here and there?

This brings up an amusing memory. Occasionally I take a drive up to Mt. St. Helens in Washington state (USA), and there's a section of new forest filling in some of the slopes that got devastated by the big eruption way back. Because the forest was wiped out and started over, every single tree is exactly the same age and nearly the same shape, and the forest looks totally fake, and I feel the desire to edit the scene every time I drive past. :-) (t least, I ASSUME they're real trees. Maybe that's where the nation stores it's artificial Xmas trees the rest of the year....)

edited December 1969

Yes, Sean, I modeled it on Mt St. Helens. :lol:

edited December 1969

Vivien1 – thanks for the comment, lovely tropical scene, very peaceful

Sandy - cool idea, I like the glowing skull

Horo- beautiful render

Dave – all the renders are great, love the Mustard Cruiser especially the reflections.

Surreal sunset using the Sunset 1a Hdri from Hdri4Fun

surrealsunset.jpg
    600 x 600 - 41K
    edited December 1969

Sandy - cool idea, I like the glowing skull

Surreal sunset using the Sunset 1a Hdri from Hdri4Fun

Thank you.

Nice render.

edited March 2015

@TheSavage64: Thanks for your comment. In my earlier grass render I used 'grass 18', which is a single object and rotate properly in IL, Later I added other grass clumps like 'grass 19' or '17' and then I wondered, why the rotation not fully worked anymore. Today I finally have learnt why ;-)

Your mountain pictures and your ivy picture have very nice grass and both look great.

@vivien1: Nice tropical scene.

@Horo: Your grass looks quite nice. I will give it a try. Anyway a lovely scene. The birches are looking good. What is the bto library?

@JStryder: A sunset fan. That is NICE

@mermaid010: Impressiv improvement in render time. Both variation look good. And a lovely sun set with a nice reddish halo.

@fishtales1: Bob Ross :-D Even I know him. I love to watch his programs, because I never know how his scenes will end.

@GussNemo: Nice to read from you again.

My picture was inspired by the following picture of a path

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/31133/P105/#790221

In the beginning I was not sure, if I can create such a path, espcially the smooth transition between grass and the path. But the result came out better than I expected.

thefootpath.jpg
    900 x 675 - 684K
    edited December 1969

@Sandy - thanks, yes, the grass looks sharp but it is subtle.

@Dave - all three renders look great.

@mermaid010 - thank you. Your render is also beautiful, looks like a heart.

@electro-elvis - thank you. Great render, very natural looking. The bto (Bryce Tree Object) library can be accessed when holding down the Alt-key when clicking on the tree icon on the Create shelf. The Tree Lab has a bug, the settings are not updated when a new Tree Shape is selected from the dropdown so you better get the bto tree. I have a PDF on my website showing all trees in the library rendered: http://www.horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/BTO-Trees.pdf. The document also features a list of what trees are available as TPS, LPS and BTO.

edited March 2015

Thank you Horo. And old mystery solved. Me, and I think nearly everybody who has used the tree lab, too, wondered about the strange behaviour, when you have selected a tree from the drop down list and it doesn't resembled at all the selected tree. That seems to be a massive error, I suppose. I still learn something new about Bryce almost every day.

edited December 1969

Messing about with instances this time. All the grass and flowers; not the tree and hand (which is cut off of a figure in DAZ Studio :bug: )

Don't Pick the Flowers!

leave-the-flowers-001.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 495K
    edited December 1969

Trying out a cloud slab in this one.

Through the Clouds

through-the-clouds-001.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 249K
    edited December 1969

Snake in the grass...

GrassSnake.jpg
    1666 x 975 - 946K
    edited March 2015

Electro-Elvis – thanks, your render is very nicely done.

Sandy- thanks, your messing about are producing awesome renders.

Dave – another beautiful render.

Edited to correct typo

Post edited by mermaid010 on
This discussion has been closed.