DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Project Iradium] - version 4.8.0.9!

Comments

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited December 1969

Looking at computer components to build myself something nice I really can't afford to do 3d any more :(

Depending on the specifics of your machine, just changing the OS to 64bit might a good way to go.

• ScarletX1969ScarletX1969 Posts: 587
    edited December 1969

Damsel said:
    But I will say the light is key, whether we're talking Iray or Lux or 3D delight. The mistake I see a lot in these renders is flat, flat lighting. People seem to be using the headlamp, so you get zero sense that this is a 3D object. Put the key or main light at a 45 degree angle to the left or right of the figure. Put another light opposite that, and make it considerably dimmer, to fill in the sharp shadows created by the first light. Put a third light in the air to rim the head and shoulders of the figure. This makes him stand out from the background. This is called three point lighting, and goes back to live theater. Google 3 point lighting for more.

Find the headlight attached to your camera and turn it OFF. Then you will get renders that show M6's muscles, the curves of V6's face and fine body, or the drape of fabric. Otherwise you get something that looks like you're posting it to Instagram. Yeah, it may look like a photograph, but not a great one. We all spend a buttload of money on our art. Make it the most it can be by taking a few extra minutes to light it well. That is far more important than the video card. (Says the lunatic who just dropped 1500 on two NVIDIA cards and a new power supply to run them.)

Being well versed in filmmaking, I'm all too familiar with lighting design. A lot of renders I've seen have very flat lighting like you mentioned. However, I was merely pointing out the differences between how each renderer responds and treats lighting. You can look at how her skin differs in each one of my renders. The look of IRAY is what I was trying to achieve in Reality but couldn't even come close.
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,310
    edited December 1969

I have a couple of problems with 4.8 Beta.

First, the trivial one: every time I save a render, Studio generates a little icon jpeg as well as the main render. Is there any way of turning this off?

Secondly, I can't change the aspect ratio or pixel size of the image. I've unlocked both on the render settings tab and turned off the constrain proportions option but, every time I type in a new number, the box simply reverts to the old value.

Am I making a noob mistake? Many thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Alex.

Render_Parameters.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 691K
  • shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186
    edited December 1969

Is there any word on when this will be available for download without using the install manager?

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Is there any word on when this will be available for download without using the install manager?

The Beta won't be, but the full version will, anyone's guess as to when though. Depends what arises from this Beta, the last one brought about this one so we'll just have to see....

CHEERS!

• DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,549
    edited March 2015

Alex, I can help with the second one. I had the same problem myself when I first installed it. Change the Dimension Preset from Active Viewport to Custom.
    Edit: going back to the first problem, I have never heard of DS saving a thumbnail when you save a render. It will save one when you save a scene or a preset, but it shouldn't be saving a thumbnail of the render.

Post edited by DestinysGarden on
  • DamselDamsel Posts: 374
    edited December 1969

dsexton72 said:
    Damsel said:
    But I will say the light is key, whether we're talking Iray or Lux or 3D delight. The mistake I see a lot in these renders is flat, flat lighting. People seem to be using the headlamp, so you get zero sense that this is a 3D object. Put the key or main light at a 45 degree angle to the left or right of the figure. Put another light opposite that, and make it considerably dimmer, to fill in the sharp shadows created by the first light. Put a third light in the air to rim the head and shoulders of the figure. This makes him stand out from the background. This is called three point lighting, and goes back to live theater. Google 3 point lighting for more.

Find the headlight attached to your camera and turn it OFF. Then you will get renders that show M6's muscles, the curves of V6's face and fine body, or the drape of fabric. Otherwise you get something that looks like you're posting it to Instagram. Yeah, it may look like a photograph, but not a great one. We all spend a buttload of money on our art. Make it the most it can be by taking a few extra minutes to light it well. That is far more important than the video card. (Says the lunatic who just dropped 1500 on two NVIDIA cards and a new power supply to run them.)

Being well versed in filmmaking, I'm all too familiar with lighting design. A lot of renders I've seen have very flat lighting like you mentioned. However, I was merely pointing out the differences between how each renderer responds and treats lighting. You can look at how her skin differs in each one of my renders. The look of IRAY is what I was trying to achieve in Reality but couldn't even come close.

Didn't mean to come off like a jerk. I was only talking about the thing I noticed in a LOT of renders by a LOT of different people. Also, I have a cold and am feeling grumpy. Trying to be helpful, but not succeeding. Sorry.

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited December 1969

LIE constantly crash in this beta.

• edited March 2015

Found a flaw.

If you try to cancel a movie render (using 3Delight, haven't tried with Iray), the program's UI becomes unresponsive as if it's expecting input but none of the controls work; also had the Render Settings window open both times. The info boxes remain but nothing responds.

Mac OS X.10

Post edited by patrickwilliamwalker on
    edited December 1969

Alex, I can help with the second one. I had the same problem myself when I first installed it. Change the Dimension Preset from Active Viewport to Custom.
    Edit: going back to the first problem, I have never heard of DS saving a thumbnail when you save a render. It will save one when you save a scene or a preset, but it shouldn't be saving a thumbnail of the render.

Thanks, I'll have a further fiddle with the custom presets. When I've figured out lighting, that is!

Cheers,

Alex.

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

The Beta won't be, but the full version will, anyone's guess as to when though. Depends what arises from this Beta, the last one brought about this one so we'll just have to see....

CHEERS!

I am still struggling to understand DS4.7 so I guess I am not losing out on much.

• DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited December 1969

Thanks, I'll have a further fiddle with the custom presets. When I've figured out lighting, that is!

Cheers,

Alex.

DS saves a thumbnail of the render with the render when you save into the Render Library (the thumbnail being what it then displays in the Render Library pane). It has been doing this ever since there has been a Render Library function.

• DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited December 1969

I suppose I should have said explicitly ....

After rendering, in the render window, when you go to save, under 'Name' is a dropdown selection box where you select to save either to a configured Render Library, or to a directory - the specific Render Library (if you have more than one) or the directory then being set alongside that dropdown selection box.

If it is set to 'Render Library', then a thumbnail is also saved alongside the actual render for display in the Render Library pane. If it is set to 'directory' (so is showing a directory folder symbol), then it doesn't create a thumbnail of the render.

So if you want to use a Render Library, with the Render Library pane, then you NEED a thumbnail, and one is created. If you just want to save to arbitrary directories, select that option (which will be remembered until/unless you change the setting) and there won't be a thumbnail.

• RadioactiveLilyRadioactiveLily Posts: 350
    edited December 1969

A couple of questions from a complete D|S newbie who's been using Poser/Reality for a while now. Forgive me if these have already been asked, but there's a lot of info to sift through.

Is there any way to pause Iray once it gets running, like I can with LuxRender?

I find Iray sucks up my computer resources to the point where even my mouse lags, and I want to pause it to free up resources temporarily without having to stop and restart all over. I dropped the priority on Studio to the lowest setting, which made it better, but not being able to pause and resume is definitely a serious drawback when I want to do other things on my computer and need the resources.

If there isn't a pause feature, is this something that could be implemented in the future?

Also, tone mapping on the fly. Is there any chance we'll see this implemented?

I've been having fun working with both a new program and a new renderer, but I'm looking desperately for that pause button. I do prefer that Lux runs separately from my main program, and I can continue working while Lux is chugging away. But I guess some things need to be a trade off.

My other challenge is getting skin that doesn't look completely flat. But being that I'm very new to Studio, I'm not sure how to really tackle getting that lovely SSS look I can do in Reality/Lux. I've been trying to glean what tidbits I can from the various threads, so hopefully I'll figure it out. :)

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited March 2015

1. Render Settings > General > Image Path. Click the drop down where it says Render Library > Manage Directories. Any locations listed as Render Libraries will auto-generate those thumbnails. Delete the path if you want to use the same folder w/o the thumbnails being generated, otherwise just save to a folder that isn't that one.

2. Change the Dimension Preset from Active Viewport to Custom.

First, the trivial one: every time I save a render, Studio generates a little icon jpeg as well as the main render. Is there any way of turning this off?

Secondly, I can't change the aspect ratio or pixel size of the image. I've unlocked both on the render settings tab and turned off the constrain proportions option but, every time I type in a new number, the box simply reverts to the old value.

Cheers,

Alex.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

I am still struggling to understand DS4.7 so I guess I am not losing out on much.

Apart maybe from Iray and improvements to 3Delight. What we (I'm in the same boat.) get will be more stable with less bugs, hopefully!

CHEERS!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

Actually, several of the changes in 4.7 make sense, in light of the new features in 4.8...like the switching of some things to the new Environment tab....

edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    1. Render Settings > General > Image Path. Click the drop down where it says Render Library > Manage Directories. Any locations listed as Render Libraries will auto-generate those thumbnails. Delete the path if you want to use the same folder w/o the thumbnails being generated, otherwise just save to a folder that isn't that one.

2. Change the Dimension Preset from Active Viewport to Custom.

Cheers,

Alex.

Thanks, I thought it might be something to do with render settings.

Cheers,

Alex.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Actually, several of the changes in 4.7 make sense, in light of the new features in 4.8...like the switching of some things to the new Environment tab....

That one takes some getting used to, particularly when you load a scene you saved in 4.6. You go to render and suddenly wonder where your backdrop went, so you have to go to the environment tab and load it. It's best then to save the scene you opened so you don't have to go through it all again when you open it again.

CHEERS!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    mjc1016 said:

That one takes some getting used to, particularly when you load a scene you saved in 4.6. You go to render and suddenly wonder where your backdrop went, so you have to go to the environment tab and load it. It's best then to save the scene you opened so you don't have to go through it all again when you open it again.

CHEERS!

You know, that doesn't really bother me all that much...maybe because I've almost always used a skydome or physical backdrop. It's the scenes with domes that are killer now...Iray doesn't need a physical dome and without settings/materials adjustments, a physical dome is just like dropping a big umbrella over your scene.

• kalazarkalazar Posts: 415
    edited December 1969

Hope this hasn't been asked before because I didn't see it. I am trying to bill a scene using Mil Horse 2 but this version wouldn't find the materials. I tried eq. the bay I get a message saying Couldn't find file do I want to locate file skip or stop asking. I said Locate. so I did and the files are not there !!? That seemed wrong so I went thru my computer screen using the same pathway and all the files are there under C/Users/Public/Public Documents/My Daz3D Liberary/Animals/Daz Horse 2/Materials, ?? Tried again and under locate, and again, that same Materials fold is empty. WTF??? It runs out that the new beta is looking for jpeg files and these are all duf with pngs. So what is wrong with this. Is this an error that it's looking for jpeg? Can it be corrected or is this a bug? HELP. lol Thank you

Kalazar

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Kalazar said:
    Hope this hasn't been asked before because I didn't see it. I am trying to bill a scene using Mil Horse 2 but this version wouldn't find the materials. I tried eq. the bay I get a message saying Couldn't find file do I want to locate file skip or stop asking. I said Locate. so I did and the files are not there !!? That seemed wrong so I went thru my computer screen using the same pathway and all the files are there under C/Users/Public/Public Documents/My Daz3D Liberary/Animals/Daz Horse 2/Materials, ?? Tried again and under locate, and again, that same Materials fold is empty. WTF??? It runs out that the new beta is looking for jpeg files and these are all duf with pngs. So what is wrong with this. Is this an error that it's looking for jpeg? Can it be corrected or is this a bug? HELP. lol Thank you

Kalazar

The materials for DAZ Horse 2 are in "C:/Users/Public/Public Documents/My Daz3D Library//Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Animals/Horse 2/". Is "C:/Users/Public/Public Documents/My Daz3D Library/" listed as both DAZ Studio Formats and Poser Formats in Content Directory Manager?

• DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,549
    edited December 1969

DavidGB said:

If it is set to 'Render Library', then a thumbnail is also saved alongside the actual render for display in the Render Library pane. If it is set to 'directory' (so is showing a directory folder symbol), then it doesn't create a thumbnail of the render.

So if you want to use a Render Library, with the Render Library pane, then you NEED a thumbnail, and one is created. If you just want to save to arbitrary directories, select that option (which will be remembered until/unless you change the setting) and there won't be a thumbnail.

Ah, that explains it. I've never used the Render Library. I always make my own folders for my renders. Thanks for clearing up the mystery.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited March 2015

I've only seen these icon images in my "render library," though mine are pngs. I haven't seen any since I changed the image path to another location. This is the last option in the General render settings.

EDIT: So now I'm feeling a bit sheepish, seeing how many people have answered the question before me. (blush)

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • MacSaversMacSavers Posts: 324
    edited December 1969

I decided to try a render of a piece I did recently that took a bit of time with 3Delight, say about 30 minutes or more. Might've been 45, but it was never as much as an hour.

Now, granted, I'm on a MacBook with only a 650M nVidia, so my GPU isn't much help here. I did this on the CPU only as my tests have shown that the GPU isn't making it go any faster and makes the Mac OS unstable. My MacBook Pro is from 2012 and has a 2.4Ghz i7, so it's not a slouch, but no where near a high end machine. Since I use it for my hobby, it's just fine.

So, I started this with the hopes that it might take a couple of days making sure to eliminate my multiplane cyclorama which would make the whole scene black. Imagine my surprise when after 130 hours not a single pixel has been rendered. In 3Delight, I rendered it at 8 times the size I did for Iray, so you would think at 12.5% of size that Iray would have a little help, but after waiting over five (5) days, I gave up. I made a screenshot so you could see where I stopped it.

From what I can tell, Iray won't be useful to most users really. Most of us are hobbyists. We can't afford the higher end stuff and on the Mac even less so. I'm not opposed to having the option, so it's not all lost, but it appears I won't be able to take advantage of it.

screenShot.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 648K
  • MacSaversMacSavers Posts: 324
    edited December 1969

One more point of note: I use AoA's Ambient Light a lot. It seems to do the best at creating subtle shadows and lighting that I prefer in my images. It's especially good at the highlights as well.

So, as I test, I did a quick scene with a model I've used in the past. I did a test with 3Delight with AoA's Ambient Light, a test with Iray with AoA's Ambient Light and then a test with Iray with no extra lighting at all.

I'm not sure what's going on with Iray in regards to the whites in the image. Even the white in eyes are making her look creepy. I thought removing AoA's Ambient Light would help and it did in some areas, like the face and boots, but the eyes and tunic are basically two color, no subtlety at all. Even though the one with Iray and AoA's Ambient Light is starker, at least there's some definition in the tunic, but the boots suffer and the face is much harsher.

I can honestly say the only situation I could see using Iray is if I absolutely have to have a daylight scene and can't get a 3Delight render to look the way I want.

Cadet-Brianne.jpg
    1080 x 720 - 144K
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

MacSavers said:
    One more point of note: I use AoA's Ambient Light a lot. It seems to do the best at creating subtle shadows and lighting that I prefer in my images. It's especially good at the highlights as well.

So, as I test, I did a quick scene with a model I've used in the past. I did a test with 3Delight with AoA's Ambient Light, a test with Iray with AoA's Ambient Light and then a test with Iray with no extra lighting at all.

I'm not sure what's going on with Iray in regards to the whites in the image. Even the white in eyes are making her look creepy. I thought removing AoA's Ambient Light would help and it did in some areas, like the face and boots, but the eyes and tunic are basically two color, no subtlety at all. Even though the one with Iray and AoA's Ambient Light is starker, at least there's some definition in the tunic, but the boots suffer and the face is much harsher.

I can honestly say the only situation I could see using Iray is if I absolutely have to have a daylight scene and can't get a 3Delight render to look the way I want.

Quick question: Are you applying the iray ubershader to everything in your scene? Generally I would think everything would need to have iray shaders to be translated and render better. Also AoA lights don't work with Iray, You would use the photometric lights, HDR, and emission surfaces only, AoA lights are for a different render engine entirely.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,118
    edited December 1969

MacSavers said:

Select the camera you are rendering with in the Scene pane and then open the Parameters pane. DS 4.8 has added a headlamp to each camera. Select the headlamp and set it to OFF for your Iray rrender. See if that helps your overexposed whites issue. Also, as mentioned, don't add AoA lights or DAZ default lights to Iray scenes.
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited March 2015

It's been an incredibly long day fussing with skin settings, and I just stumbled on to this. The spirals on the cylinder should be grooves, not whatever that is going on. The higher I set the displacement, the worse the spirals get warped like that. And the sphere has the same exact setting on it. A week ago I noticed it and thought I had a wrong setting some where. I just tried fixing it and nothing other then removing the displacement all together makes the spirals straighten out rather then being wavy like that.
    :smirk: Must be a glitch or something.

Now I know why I named the thing, "The Staff Of Render Hell". It keeps breaking render engines, lol.

CylnderDispGlitch_002.png
    1924 x 1176 - 632K
    128x128dspirl02002crp12map1_EmissiveStrength1.png
    128 x 128 - 545B
    128x128dspirl02002crp12map1_displace1.png
    128 x 128 - 575B
    128x128dspirl02002crp1_GlossyColor.png
    128 x 128 - 564B
    Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,559
    edited December 1969

Found a flaw.

If you try to cancel a movie render (using 3Delight, haven't tried with Iray), the program's UI becomes unresponsive as if it's expecting input but none of the controls work; also had the Render Settings window open both times. The info boxes remain but nothing responds.

Mac OS X.10

...sometimes get the same in Windows ("Programme not Responding"). Is there some sort of Task/Process manager in MacOS? That's what I have to use to close the application when it freezes up.