questions after upgrading gpu

I finally got an RTX 3060 but I'm a bit confused about how much memory it can use before it kicks back to CPU.

I have looked in my task manager and found this, as it was rendering something:

do I have to surprass 28.0 GB before I get kicked back to the CPU?

Also, why is my CPU still %100 if it's supposed to be running from the GPU? why is the GPU utilization so low?

The pic is taking me quite some time, too. Going on thirty minutes at 65% done but not horribly bad. (3 figures with hair, reflective surfaces, complicated lighting)

Comments

• About 11.5 on the card till it jumps to CPU
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,420

There is no "Shared GPU memory", that applies only to integrated GPU's with no GPU memory of their own.

The 3060 (without TI) has 12GB's of VRAM. Windows, DS, The scene and the needed working space, are taking about 4GB's and one is left about 8BG's of VRAM for geometry and textures.

The Task Manager is not a good tool for monitoring, it does give one correct information if one knows what/where to look and how to set it up, but for inexperienced users, it's just misleading and confusing.

GPU-Z is a better tool.

• AgitatedRiot said:

About 11.5 on the card till it jumps to CPU

That's what I'm finding as well.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,420

lorraineopua said:

AgitatedRiot said:

About 11.5 on the card till it jumps to CPU

That's what I'm finding as well.

As the card has 12GB's, not much more would even be possible and one has to remember that is the total usage of VRAM, only about 8GB's is available for geometry and textures for Iray rendering - Providing that no other programs are open which use also VRAM (browsers for example) 

• Also, that figure is probably the current usage, but peak usage could be higher.