DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Project Iradium] - version 4.8.0.9!

Comments

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

TY. :)

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Spit said:
    Spit said:
    Oh, speaking of aux viewport, how do you resize the panels? I grab the 'line' in between the upper and lower panel and try moving up, all I get is the top panel stretching vertically to fill the entire space. Help.

Grab the side line and move it as well?

You can also undock it and size it as you like.

Is that a no? I can size horizontally, I just can't find a way to resize vertically. ie, I want the panel with the aux preview smaller and the panel with parameters, surfaces, etc. taller. And I do want them docked, not undocked.

My cursor disappeared in the screenshot, but you have to get it just right. The drag line is where the yellow line is.

vertresize.png
    501 x 555 - 42K
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886
    edited December 1969

I thought mods had already commented on multiple intersecting transparent mapped surfaces doing poorly?

Oh, that one. LOL. That is in NVIDIA's hands. :) Thanks.We don't have a new build from them yet.

Can you even hazard a guess as to when possibly this might get fixed? Are we talking days, weeks, months, years... ?

And I realize this isn't on the record, so to speak, because for all you know they are all having congo line parties for the next month.

• KatherineKatherine Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

I thought mods had already commented on multiple intersecting transparent mapped surfaces doing poorly?

Oh, that one. LOL. That is in NVIDIA's hands. :) Thanks.We don't have a new build from them yet.

Can you even hazard a guess as to when possibly this might get fixed? Are we talking days, weeks, months, years... ?

And I realize this isn't on the record, so to speak, because for all you know they are all having congo line parties for the next month.

The answer is, we have no ETA on this fix. It isn't in our hands so we can not... and will not... even "guess". :)

Kat

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

The answer is, we have no ETA on this fix. It isn't in our hands so we can not... and will not... even "guess". :)

Kat

I just hope it doesn't become the deep shadow map bug of Iray. (For those that don't know, 3Delight and most Renderman renders have a bug that plagues deep shadow maps where magenta, cyan or other colored fireflies crop up when using DSM...and it's been around for years with no fix in sight).

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,178
    edited December 1969

NVIDIA is aware of the issue and is working toward a fix. They know it is important to us (and our users).

-Rob
    (posted from NVIDIA GTC)

• timnaastimnaas Posts: 118
    edited December 1969

OK................I'm not the smartest lightbulb in the world and will be the first to admit it. But I'm totally lost with the new set up! It's just not IRay......3Delight renders completely different!! The settings I would use in 4.7 WILL NOT WORK in 4.8?
    For example......AoA's Advance lights are missing like 95% of there adjustment settings. Even in 3Delight. The only setting that shows up is the intensity, nothing else? Am I missing something here. Plus, either my scene turn up black or they are totally washed out white. I've followed others suggestions and settings and I'm getting nowhere really fast!!!!
    The documentations on the Wiki have not helped much either!
    I had thought I have finally turned the corner with this lighting thing and I get thrown a curve ball which is really frustrating!:-/>:(

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

timnaas said:
    OK................I'm not the smartest lightbulb in the world and will be the first to admit it. But I'm totally lost with the new set up! It's just not IRay......3Delight renders completely different!! The settings I would use in 4.7 WILL NOT WORK in 4.8?
    For example......AoA's Advance lights are missing like 95% of there adjustment settings. Even in 3Delight. The only setting that shows up is the intensity, nothing else? Am I missing something here. Plus, either my scene turn up black or they are totally washed out white. I've followed others suggestions and settings and I'm getting nowhere really fast!!!!
    The documentations on the Wiki have not helped much either!
    I had thought I have finally turned the corner with this lighting thing and I get thrown a curve ball which is really frustrating!:-/>:(

The beta does not share settings or files with the release version, so if you have custom content locations or settings you will need to set them up in 4.8.

Plugins that were installed before you installed the beta need to be uninstalled and reinstalled with DIM -- that weill reinstall them to both the beta and the release.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,738
    edited December 1969

If this is the first DS public beta you have installed you will need to reinstall your plug-ins and shaders as they need to place certain files in the applications folder. This needs to be done, unless the product itself is updated, only once not for each beta.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
    edited December 1969

I've had two instances of the screen going black for a few seconds and then when it returns, there are a number of messages saying that there was a "time out" error of some sort and Studio closes. Is that due to a scene being too large for the video card to handle? The scene had a lot of objects and textures, but none were particularly high-res and there was no figure in the scene.

Thanks in advance for any help.

edited December 1969

I've had the same problem, generally when doing an Iray preview.

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited March 2015

To those people who would like to get a better knowledge about shaders and materials in a Physically Based Rendering engine as Iray, I would like to point 2 free guides from Allegorithmic maker of Substance Designer, Substance Painter, and Bitmap2Material.

Volume 1: The Theory of Physically Based Rendering focuses on the theory of physically-based rendering and shading.

Volume 2: Practical Guidelines for PBR Texturing discuss the practical application of authoring PBR textures and provides a set of guidelines that are based on the foundations established in Volume One.

By the way, here is another link with a lot of good information: http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn

Post edited by MBusch on
  • lorraineopualorraineopua Posts: 593
    edited December 1969

Just a small query...where is 'getting rid of the yellow' hidden now...it's not in tool settings. As I find the yellow all over my viewpoint makes it really hard to see, I'd like to get rid of it. Thank you.

edited December 1969

Speaking of substance.. any plans to get *sbsar compatibility in DS now that we have a PBR engine?

edited December 1969

sanssouci said:
    Just a small query...where is 'getting rid of the yellow' hidden now...it's not in tool settings. As I find the yellow all over my viewpoint makes it really hard to see, I'd like to get rid of it. Thank you.

Window > Panes > Draw Style (or something to that effect)

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Spit said:
    Spit said:
    Oh, speaking of aux viewport, how do you resize the panels? I grab the 'line' in between the upper and lower panel and try moving up, all I get is the top panel stretching vertically to fill the entire space. Help.

Grab the side line and move it as well?

You can also undock it and size it as you like.

Is that a no? I can size horizontally, I just can't find a way to resize vertically. ie, I want the panel with the aux preview smaller and the panel with parameters, surfaces, etc. taller. And I do want them docked, not undocked.

Not at all. I thought you said you could grab the line in between and stretch that one up and down. (Which you should be able to, provided you don't hit a minimum size on a panel.)

Finally I managed it. I raised the line in small increments--several of them--and got what I want.

@Vaskania

Thanks. Yes that was the line I was using.

• lorraineopualorraineopua Posts: 593
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    sanssouci said:

Window > Panes > Draw Style (or something to that effect)

Thank you, Vaskania, never would have found it. It's Window > Panes > Draw Settings>Draw Style. Yay no more yellow!

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited December 1969

Everyone keeps going on and on about Iray, which is understandable of course. But aside from a few posts addressing the misconception that only Iray is available in 4.8, people aren't talking much about 3Delight rendering in the Beta.

So I decided to do a quick side-by-side comparison. First I loaded my file in the beta and rendered in 3Delight after changing the overall size to 1000px X 1304px. It completed in just under 4 minutes.

Next, I closed the beta and opened 4.7. I loaded the same file and rendered (3Delight) after changing the overall size to 1000px X 1304px. However, I cancelled this render when it reached the render time of the Beta rendered image. It was about 75% complete.

Render settings were the same for both renders:
    Buckets: 16
    Max Ray Trace Depth: 1
    Pixel Samples (X & Y): 16
    Shadow Samples: 32
    Gain: 1
    Gamma Correction: off
    Shading Rate: 0.50
    Pixel Filter: Sinc
    Pixel Filter Width X & Y: 6.00

From the log file for DAZ Studio Pro 4.8 Beta:
    Finished Rendering
    Total Rendering Time: 3 minutes 52.40 seconds

From the log file for DAZ Studio Pro 4.7:
    Render Cancelled
    Total Rendering Time: 3 minutes 53.15 seconds

Here are the two renders side-by-side, with a gradient added in Photoshop.

(And I'm betting speed isn't the only improvement in the 3Delight render engine…)

beta-vs-release-3DL-rendering.jpg
    1000 x 724 - 489K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

It's not...there are several other improvements and fixes, at least the version that was shipped with the first beta. I haven't checked to see if the 4.8.0.9 is yet another build of 3DL or not...but, yes 3DL is constantly improving.

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501
    edited December 1969

Just to let people know: 4GB variants of the 750Ti and 960 are starting to come out, so there may be a "mid-tier" alternative to the budget 740 and the more expensive cards out soon.

edited December 1969

ACross said:

EDIT: After the render below completed and was saved, I left DS4.8 Beta open while posting here and in other threads of the forum. After about 1.5 hours, I went back to the program. The only thing I did was click on an "eye" to hide an object from the scene, and it stopped responding. I had to have Windows force it to close. I hadn't saved my changes, so I was able to poke around the cameras. Setting them to not render in the image didn't change the weird shadows that were showing up. But setting SS Physically Scaled Sun to off did. I haven't messed around too much with environment settings and I don't think that was set to off before the update, but it might have been. Anyway, changing that setting solved my problem.

I just wanted to comment on this behavior as I'm not seeing it today, either the crashes or the whited out viewports...

When I updated the beta, I'd had my computer running non-stop for several days. (I'd been downloading some very large files from some products I bought over the weekend.) I shut the computer down for several hours while I slept. Since restarting it today, everything is running smoothly… So far… Knock on wood. :)

So my recommendation is, if the beta is displaying unexpected behavior after installing an update, (or updates,) try rebooting the computer.

edited December 1969

mtl1 said:
    Just to let people know: 4GB variants of the 750Ti and 960 are starting to come out, so there may be a "mid-tier" alternative to the budget 740 and the more expensive cards out soon.

Yay!
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited March 2015

mtl1 said:
    All this hype about a meager 4GB on video cards. I must have some serious misgivings of how many generation 6 HD figures you can cram into 4GB, after my Windows 32bit experience.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/588194/
    6 plane primitives as the scene and a sphere (no texture maps), 5 menu spotlights, a point-light in a primitive sphere, a single G2F figure (not HD), a shirt, and skirt.
    Add hair, and instant blue-screen of death.

how many generation 6 HD figures, cloths and hair, can you cram into 4GB? 2 with no scene at all? And what about the scene?

Some were having difficulties with some scenes eating up all the ram (no figures, just the scene product).

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
    edited December 1969

I have a scene I'm having trouble with... I hit 10 iterations, and then I see no progress and the following spamming the log file:
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.3 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): Prevented device timeout
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.10 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): Prevent device timeout

Going to try to track down if a specific object or material is causing the problem, but any ideas to help?

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261
    edited December 1969

mtl1 said:
    All this hype about a meager 4GB on video cards. I must have some serious misgivings of how many generation 6 HD figures you can cram into 4GB, after my Windows 32bit experience.
    6 plane primitives as the scene and a sphere (no texture maps), 5 menu spotlights, a point-light in a primitive sphere, a single G2F figure (not HD), a shirt, and skirt.

how many generation 6 HD figures, cloths and hair, can you cram into 4GB? 2 with no scene at all? And what about the scene?

Some were having difficulties with some scenes eating up all the ram (no figures, just the scene product).

This is why I believe the correct amount of ram is as much as can be afforded

• Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

Don't forget about Texture Atlas. In many scenes textures are the big killer, so you can save yourself a lot of VRAM with this plugin. 4GB of RAM on a graphics card is becoming the standard, so it is only meager when you compare it to the much cheaper DDR 3 RAM we pile into our systems.

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501
    edited December 1969

mtl1 said:

Well, it is an interesting discussion to be sure. At what point is GPU Price/VRAM versus price not tenable? I'd love more HSA-like architecture to be more prolific, but I don't see wide market penetration as long as nVidia has its hold on the market.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Question about f/stop in in Iray. Does it only effect light levels or does it also effect depth of field?

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited March 2015

mtl1 said:
    Just to let people know: 4GB variants of the 750Ti and 960 are starting to come out, so there may be a "mid-tier" alternative to the budget 740 and the more expensive cards out soon.All this hype about a meager 4GB on video cards. I must have some serious misgivings of how many generation 6 HD figures you can cram into 4GB, after my Windows 32bit experience.

lol, they don't make 128GB graphics cards, yesterday, lol.
    Actually my motherboard can't handle more then 32GB (already maxed out)

Don't forget about Texture Atlas. In many scenes textures are the big killer, so you can save yourself a lot of VRAM with this plugin. 4GB of RAM on a graphics card is becoming the standard, so it is only meager when you compare it to the much cheaper DDR 3 RAM we pile into our systems. I see that and consumer cards still lack higher quantities. Also, HD figures have more polygons, don't they? is it worth it, for me, to get a bigger power supply (more then 800watt), and the card, just for Iray?
    Yes the PSU is already at max capacity (10 HDDs, etc).
    Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261
    edited December 1969

mtl1 said:
    Just to let people know: 4GB variants of the 750Ti and 960 are starting to come out, so there may be a "mid-tier" alternative to the budget 740 and the more expensive cards out soon.All this hype about a meager 4GB on video cards. I must have some serious misgivings of how many generation 6 HD figures you can cram into 4GB, after my Windows 32bit experience.

lol, they don't make 128GB graphics cards, yesterday, lol.
    Actually my motherboard can't handle more then 32GB (already maxed out)

Don't forget about Texture Atlas. In many scenes textures are the big killer, so you can save yourself a lot of VRAM with this plugin. 4GB of RAM on a graphics card is becoming the standard, so it is only meager when you compare it to the much cheaper DDR 3 RAM we pile into our systems. I see that and consumer cards still lack higher quantities. Also, HD figures have more polygons, don't they? is it worth it, for me, to get a bigger power supply (more then 800watt), and the card, just for Iray?
    Yes the PSU is already at max capacity (10 HDDs, etc). Only have 32 myself my new motherboard supports 64 but 16 gig memory sticks ain't exactly affordable yet