DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Project Iradium] - version 4.8.0.4!

Comments

• Earth BalmEarth Balm Posts: 27
    edited December 1969

Thanks Damsel for posting the Sickleyield Youtube link. That has really helped. I'm currently rendering a brand new scene and it is looking fantastic!

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Kharma said:
    Kharma said:
    Can anyone tell me why as soon as I open Studio 4.8 it immediately starts rendering with the iray renderer so I go to the draw settings and click drawstop everytime I open it then it quits until I click the render button? So far I haven't found this very intuitive to navigate around and find all the settings so thank you to everyone who has posted their findings

Do you mean in the viewport? That sounds as if DS is not remembering the last settings used correctly. If you go to Help>Troubleshooting>View Log, find the +++DAZ+++ Studio Starting line for the current session and look above it is there a ---DAZ Studio exited--- line immediately above it?

No there isn't : I copied and pasted this from the log from where I shut down studio and restarted and of course the renderer started right away and I had to shut it off again using draw stop

Iray INFO - module:category(BLEND:RENDER): 1.1 BLEND rend info : blend render (build 231000.7639, 21 Feb 2015) initialized
    *** Scene Cleared ***
    DEBUG: End DAZ Studio to Hexagon Bridge log...
    --------------- DAZ Studio 4.8.0.4 exited ------------------
    ~
    +++++++++++++++ DAZ Studio 4.8.0.4 starting +++++++++++++++++
    Platform bits: 64
    Qt Version: 4.8.6
    OpenSubdiv Version: 2.3.5
    Running on Windows 7, Build 7601, Service Pack 1
    CPU Information:

No, that's what I was looking for - it does seem to be shutting down normally. Make sure you don't have nVidia Iray selected in the draw style for the viewport or the Aux Viewport, that's the little sphere next to the camera/view picker at top-right.

thank you very much Richard, that was the problem :)

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited December 1969

Jennyver said:
    Oh god I just can't get a interior image finish...
    Every time the iteration reaches 150 it stops going any further for hours and hours...
    Anyone have any idea why?
    And is there anyway to get rid of those fireflies?

Found this in a iray Performance Tips pdf

AVOIDING FIREFLIES / HIGH FREQUENCY NOISE
    The first step to do in order to eliminate or attenuate the so called fireflies (high frequency noise that
    comes in the form of bright spots) is to identify its source.
    Most of the times, fireflies are due to hard caustics.
    Once the source is identified, the following actions can be taken:
    ! Reduce the reflectivity. As a general rule, real-life materials rarely exceed a reflectance ratio
    of 0.7. Highly reflective materials will also slow down convergence.
    ! Avoid pure white colors
    ! Slightly modify the lights direction and/or intensity.
    ! Glowing objects may introduce further noise, hence they should be used only when
    necessary. For all other situations, shape lights are preferable.

Thanks! But it is weird that there is no fireflies coming out when im using HDRi...

That's similar to other unbiased renderers. They usually show with lights and the things mentioned, but less with HDR.

edited March 2015

jag11 said:
    Which GTX 780? There are two flavors... the 780 TI has more than 500 more cores, but the regular 780 has more than 2300 cores. That's a bunch of power.

It's the one with 2,304 cores. No TI :red:

Still, the 780 is a more powerful card than others. Be glad you have it. All nvidia cards are not equal and more recent does not mean more powerful. Different things have been tweaked in the later cards for game related performance, not CUDA performance.

I have a 780 6GB on my wishlist.

Post edited by Kevin Sanderson on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

Damsel said:
    The problem was, I couldn't STOP THE RENDER WITHOUT CANCELING IT.

Cancel from the progress bar, not the render window, and the ender will stay open.I recommend moving the progress bar off to one side so that you can see it even when the render window is on top - switch to the application window, move it, and switch back to the render. The progress bar (unlike the render window) will remember its placement.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited March 2015

Motion blur as it is referred to in CG is not a physically based effect. It, like having objects not cast shadows, is a Biased render engine trick. Do it like in the real world, Render several frames and composite in Photoshop, or similar. :)

It 'could be' a physically based effect for still image if any render engine took time into account such that camera movement/object movement could be defined for time of shutter opening similar to what would actually happen irl, animation style. In fact, not having some actual time/animation component in will limit 'photo realistic' in some ways. Whenever 'shutter speed is included (always to some extent) and potential object/scene/camera jitter taken into account that level of realism will always be missing, (although only of issue in some artistic applications.) Technically, depth of field is tied directly to shutter speed/aperture combination, so this is by definition also a hack without said time component.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Here's a set of 'artist friendly' IES profiles to attach to those point lights...

http://www.derekjenson.com/3d-blog/ies-light-profiles

IES! Yes! Thank you. That was the term I was trying to remember before when someone was asking about light values (in other channel with questions about IRay.) And, the link is a good one, one of the ones I would have posted if I hadn't temporarily lost it. ;)

For anyone not familiar with IES, I recommend doing some research into this. It's lighting's equivalent to PBR basically. And in case anyone missed the main point of PBR, it's that shaders will act consistent in different types of lighting so that as long as we are using photometric or IBL lighting and PBR shaders, we should be able to swap out lights/shaders and get predictable results. It's not actually that they themselves will 'look more real' but rather more consistent/predictable. The end result is that the product you buy should actually render more like the promo pictures right out of the box rather then having to fight with lights and other settings just to keep it from going weird green, etc...

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

Damsel said:

Also, I have a fairly good compy-- 34 gigs of RAM, 7 cores, GeForce GTX 660 TI graphics card. And it was wheezing.

Even if you cancel the render, you haven't lost it. It will be underneath the main DS window. However, if for some reason, you've closed it, use the Save Last Render option. It's always available to save until you start another render.

Re your computer - I also have the GTX66TI. I bought it less than 2 years ago, when it was a high-end card. I saw a comparison chart the other day on a hardware site and the 660 was listed..... somewhere near last place. And the other cards weren't even high-end - mostly 2Gb cards, 780s, etc.

So now I've ordered a 970. LOL.

mac

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Thanks Spooky!

Here is the Best for the bucks link:

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Graphics-cards-best-passmark-score-per-dollar-5825971

maclean said:
    What's more important? Number of cores or 4Gb of memory? Although my card is only 2Gb, it has 1344 cores.

The $350 card I'm looking at has 4Gb and 1664 cores (Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB). Big difference? Doesn't seem like it.

mac

It is a balancing act. You want more cores and more speed, but if the scene doesn't fit on the card's Video Ram you aren't using the card at all.

There are a handful of sites that do comparisons. GPU boss is one of them.

That is just core processing. Note that it only has 2GB, which is not weighted the way we would be here. This is typical with 'best bang for your buck' rating systems re; video cards.

edited December 1969

Quick note for anyone considering spending $$ on a new card. MSI has a notebook out with 8GB of video memory. There is currently no mainstream desktop video card with 8GB on it, but they are supposedly overdue. Something to consider as all cards will probably drop in price when they finally do come out.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    Quick note for anyone considering spending $$ on a new card. MSI has a notebook out with 8GB of video memory. There is currently no mainstream desktop video card with 8GB on it, but they are supposedly overdue. Something to consider as all cards will probably drop in price when they finally do come out.

You sure it's 8GB dedicated vram? What model?
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited March 2015

I've never seen a card that offers 8GB VRAM let alone on a laptop

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • PippenPippen Posts: 265
    edited December 1969

maclean said:
    Damsel said:

Also, I have a fairly good compy-- 34 gigs of RAM, 7 cores, GeForce GTX 660 TI graphics card. And it was wheezing.

Even if you cancel the render, you haven't lost it. It will be underneath the main DS window. However, if for some reason, you've closed it, use the Save Last Render option. It's always available to save until you start another render.

Re your computer - I also have the GTX66TI. I bought it less than 2 years ago, when it was a high-end card. I saw a comparison chart the other day on a hardware site and the 660 was listed..... somewhere near last place. And the other cards weren't even high-end - mostly 2Gb cards, 780s, etc.

So now I've ordered a 970. LOL.

mac

I have a Gigabyte 970 G1. Badass card.

edited March 2015

MSI notebook w 16gb main memory **8GB* video memory on 980m ... 1tb hd and 128gb m2 SSD, 6 USB 3.0 ports, 17.3” screen, blu-ray burner, i7 4710hq 2.5ghz proc, ....

http://www.microcenter.com/product/440671/GT72_2QE_Dominator_Pro-211_173_Laptop_Computer_-_Aluminum_Black

And yes, I have verified it's not a misprint.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:

...there is one, unfortunately not by Nvidia.

http://www.eteknix.com/sapphire-radeon-r9-290x-vapor-x-oc-8gb-graphics-card-review/

• rbel_295e7c1d4crbel_295e7c1d4c Posts: 99
    edited December 1969

Which GTX 780? There are two flavors... the 780 TI has more than 500 more cores, but the regular 780 has more than 2300 cores. That's a bunch of power.

Is there a direct relationship between the number of Cuda cores and the speed of an iray render - if a card with 384 cores takes 20 minutes is it likely that a card with 1600 cores will take around 5 minutes, all other things being equal?

• Ralf1958Ralf1958 Posts: 688
    edited December 1969

Well, my first render with Iray. All shaders are Iray shaders. Pretty happy with it, but... what about the eyes? The sclera is very dark and the Cornea seems to be in front of the tear. Any idea?
    Thanks guys! :-)

Test_Iray_001.png
    720 x 720 - 502K
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878
    edited December 1969

I'd suggest lighting a little from the side, and use some sort of screen behind or off camera on the other side to get some back lighting.

(You don't need another light, just a surface for the light to reflect from)

• Ralf1958Ralf1958 Posts: 688
    edited December 1969

Thanks, I guess I figured it out. Somehow the Reflection material wasn't set to Iray shader. :-)

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited December 1969

Oh god I just can't get a interior image finish...
    Every time the iteration reaches 150 it stops going any further for hours and hours...
    Anyone have any idea why?

I've had the same problem with a scene I did for the DAZ Social Media Contest. It renders in 3Delight just fine, of course, but not in Iray.

If I hide parts of the scene, I can render what isn't hidden. I can render all of the objects that way, but I can't render all of them together. It hangs DS and the only way I can "stop" the render is to shut down the program using Windows. I've applied Iray Uber Base to everything in the scene. And I've used Texture Atlas to decrease the size of textures on the miniatures. So far, no go.

I think the scene requires too much memory, but it could be something else. And I don't have a video card, just the integrated graphics on the motherboard. And so far, I've only had this issue with the one scene. Everything else I've tried has worked fine, with or without applying the Iray Uber Base.

edited March 2015

Is there a direct relationship between the number of Cuda cores and the speed of an iray render - if a card with 384 cores takes 20 minutes is it likely that a card with 1600 cores will take around 5 minutes, all other things being equal?

Kind of sort of... with advances things change. More CUDA cores will in general make it faster. There are other factors such as core clock speed, etc. It's easier to compare between cards of the same generation as there are driver differences, too. A gtx 780 ti is faster than a gtx 780 because it has 500 more cores. Often they are factory overclocked as well. But a gtx 780 with 6GB of RAM on it will keep you from getting kicked to just a CPU render in Iray because you have too much stuff in your scene. Most 780 ti cards have only 3GB of RAM.

Post edited by Kevin Sanderson on
    edited March 2015

Kyoto Kid said:
    Frank0314 said:

...there is one, unfortunately not by Nvidia.

http://www.eteknix.com/sapphire-radeon-r9-290x-vapor-x-oc-8gb-graphics-card-review/

Ok, now I see the source of the whole VRAM confusion. Tech writers misusing a term that has caught on by people in the general public. VRAM has not been on the market for many years. It was supplanted by SDRAM, multiple generations ago.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878
    edited December 1969

I'll point out that one reason to use 3delight over Iray may be memory.

If I want a scene with a dozen figures in it, I might find it necessary to do it with 3delight ... It might just be beyond my equipment.

Though I'll have to experiment with lower Rez figures, first.

• MadbatMadbat Posts: 382
    edited December 1969

This is my 5th render with Iray. Not great by any stretch but it is fast. This took 20 minutes gpu only with a 780ti. I did a similar one, with just G2F a wall and floor, with hdr, 2 emitter lights and a photometric spot, rendered in 4 minutes 54 seconds.

Gynoid_Rough_5.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited March 2015

Frank0314 said:

They have been available on laptops for a few months now - the GTX 980M comes in two configurations, one with 8GB and one with 4GB. There is also the GTX 970M with 3GB or 6GB of RAM (dedicated ram - not shared). If either of these don't give you enough power, you can get a dual card laptop with either two 6Gb 970M's or two 8Gb 980M's as well (the MSI GT80 Titan for example - http://www.pro-star.com/index.php?r=product/index&filter=28).

Due to an unfortunate accident a few months ago, my laptop (my 3D computer) just died. So I've been drooling over some of the available 970M & 980M options the last couple of days. Quite pricey, but you can find/configure a dual 970M system with 32Gb of ram for under $2,500 dollars. A lot of $$$ by toady's standards - but not that long ago a good 3D desktop would cost more. A MacBook Pro with a 15" Retina display, 16Gb of ram, and a 2Mb GTX 750M will set you back $2,499 today (hmmm ,,, can you tell I'm trying to justify one of these to myself).

The 980M is also in the top 10 for GPU performance (including Nvidia and ATI), not to bad for a laptop GPU!!! Would be great with Iray and Octane!!!

Post edited by DustRider on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

I'll point out that one reason to use 3delight over Iray may be memory.

If I want a scene with a dozen figures in it, I might find it necessary to do it with 3delight ... It might just be beyond my equipment.

Though I'll have to experiment with lower Rez figures, first.

It may not be beyond your system, but it may be beyond your GPU. Whether 3Delight is then faster than Iray in CPU mode will depend on the lighting.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

ccbn213 said:
    Okay. I give up on the eyes. I have tried for more than two hours to be rid of the 'milky eye' and have decided that the best way to go is to not use the iray shader on the eye area. I can't really test it in photrealism but the standard iray renderer keeps producing a light milky appearance. I, even, tried the thin glass to no avail. And what is "abbe"? It's a dial in surfaces (at least for the eyes).
    There is, in the Beta content, a Human Shader, for Genesis 2 Male and Female. Also if you use the base Genesis 2 female or male base it should automatically convert the water surfaces correctly.

However here are the physically correct settings. Apply thin water to eye reflection (simulates a thin coating of water on the eye), tear and cornea. Change the refraction of the Cornea to about 1.37.

You can use the same settings for other figures. Note since Genesis 1 does not have an Eye Reflective surface, you are likely to have only a small reflective area on the eyes.

edited December 1969

Gogger said:
    Yikes! I was loading a winter outdoor scene and my screen went blank, then Windows croaked and after two hours without a pulse I finally just hit the power. My system rarely, RARELY ever locks up. It was only after the fact of the act that I realized I had read something about Ivy's and plants that have lots and lots of trans...blah blah blah. I kinda deserved what I got - you can bet I will be paying much more attention to what I am loading in the future! I had a lot of different things going on - like always - in Photoshop, web browser tabs etc. The hard reboot was not kind, but luckily Photoshop and Firefox have pretty decent recovery features. Still lost some things I'd rather not have lost though. My fault. Despite all that I am still having fun exploring Iray!

Always remember to never forget, "Save, and Save OFTEN!"

The main problem is multiple intersecting transmapped planes. The Ivy in the Barefoot Dancer scene is definitely one such instance. NVIDIA is aware of the bug and is looking at it.
    edited December 1969

Not sure where to file a bug report, didn't see anything stand out in the main post, and it's 5 am.

Setting up a render to render an Image Series and then decrementing and (trying to) re-increment the End range sets the value at max-0.0003. I.e I have 6 frames, the range becomes 0; 5.99979, essentially dropping the last frame.

Bugs are filed by submitting a customer service request. On the "Contact us page."
    edited December 1969

ssllav said:
    This is a huge step forward. I'm about adding IRAY. BUT the nearest test showed that the small details are based on surface (bump map), such as veins and arteries will not work. Correct me if I'm wrong, or tell me how will it work?
    LuxRender have same problem.

If you convert the shaders to the Iray base you can turn up the bump. Be advised though, the bump in 3delight is absolute, the bump in most other tender engines is relative (to include both Iray and Carrara). You will have to have different bump settings on the face than the torso and manually adjust until it looks right to you. Then adjust the limbs to match the torso. Otherwise you get seams.