DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Project Iradium] - version 4.8.0.4!

Comments

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Madbat said:
    Looked promising at first but mine installed with no Iray shaders at all.

I think they are a separate download, check your Product Library.

CHEERS!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Madbat said:
    Looked promising at first but mine installed with no Iray shaders at all.

I think they are a separate download, check your Product Library.

CHEERS!

Yes, they are a separate download...they are the "Public Beta Iray Support Content".

• MadbatMadbat Posts: 382
    edited December 1969

Aha...Ok, I found it in my DL list. I'm going to reinstall the public beta stuff into it's own directory, like I should have done earlier.
    Yes, I'm um...organizationally challenged.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited December 1969

I don't know if anyone has already mentioned this or not - but the problems with PWToon creating greeny shadowing when using more than 1 light has been solved.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

So, has anyone tried to render a scene with the CPU only and then with a GPU and compared the render times?

I'm currently stuck with a CPU-only laptop, and I was wondering if IRAY is worth it for me...

For my laptop [2 cores], it has only the CPU only too, [AMD card] and it rendered this prop with a background image in little over an hour.

Also, going to the manufacturer's website and updating the video drivers [even for AMD cards] helps a lot. Daz Studio opened faster too lol ...

bowl.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
  • VoltisArtVoltisArt Posts: 212
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    OMG That Core Temp program froze my computer to a stand still. Uninstalled that after 3 times. Every time I would start it up after about 30 seconds EVERYTHING would go unresponsive. For a program that's supposed to work in the background it sure is buggy!

Sorry, man. I've been running it and had no probs, with a couple of restarts. Pity it won't work for some.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Also, going to the manufacturer's website and updating the video drivers [even for AMD cards] helps a lot. Daz Studio opened faster too lol ...

The reason is that the updated drivers also update OpenGL...which Studio relies on for the UI and all display functions not directly related to the render.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,843
    edited December 1969

So, has anyone tried to render a scene with the CPU only and then with a GPU and compared the render times?

I'm currently stuck with a CPU-only laptop, and I was wondering if IRAY is worth it for me...
    I posted this back on page 55 -
    Been testing my old machine with Iray using the Material Ball scene.

CPU is a 2.5 Ghz Core2 quad
    GPU is a 1Gb GT 430

CPU only render took just under 20 minutes

GPU only render was just over 8 minutes

CPU & GPU render took just over 6 minutes

Not bad going for a six year old underpowered machine.

The GT 430 is badly underpowered for this sort of thing as it only has 96 cores, but as long as I don't overload the scene I can get away with using the CPU & GPU together.
  • jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:

I posted this back on page 55 -
    Been testing my old machine with Iray using the Material Ball scene.

CPU is a 2.5 Ghz Core2 quad
    GPU is a 1Gb GT 430

CPU only render took just under 20 minutes

GPU only render was just over 8 minutes

CPU & GPU render took just over 6 minutes

Not bad going for a six year old underpowered machine.

The GT 430 is badly underpowered for this sort of thing as it only has 96 cores, but as long as I don't overload the scene I can get away with using the CPU & GPU together.

I was curious so I did a test:

Processor: Intel i7 4770 at 3919Mhz
          RAM: 16384 Mbytes
     Graphics: One NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780
     GPU Only: Total Rendering Time: 21.53 seconds
    CPU + GPU: Total Rendering Time: 23.38 seconds
     CPU Only: Total Rendering Time: 5 minutes 16.29 seconds

CPU+GPU was supposed to be faster but I guess it's the overhead inherent to beta.

I'd like to see someone else's results with two NVIDIA cards.

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited December 1969

Which GTX 780? There are two flavors... the 780 TI has more than 500 more cores, but the regular 780 has more than 2300 cores. That's a bunch of power.

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    edited December 1969

Which GTX 780? There are two flavors... the 780 TI has more than 500 more cores, but the regular 780 has more than 2300 cores. That's a bunch of power.

It's the one with 2,304 cores. No TI :red:

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

jag11 said:
    I was curious so I did a test:

Processor: Intel i7 4770 at 3919Mhz
          RAM: 16384 Mbytes
     Graphics: One NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780
     GPU Only: Total Rendering Time: 21.53 seconds
    CPU + GPU: Total Rendering Time: 23.38 seconds
     CPU Only: Total Rendering Time: 5 minutes 16.29 seconds

CPU+GPU was supposed to be faster but I guess it's the overhead inherent to beta.

Nothing to do with "because it's the beta", it's supposed to be faster than CPU-only, not GPU-only. That is the sort of timings you should expect; the hybrid setting uses the GPU for the heavy lifting, but all the rest of the work is done by the CPU. It will be slower than GPU-only, but it puts less strain on the GPU.
  • Twilight76Twilight76 Posts: 318
    edited December 1969

In Hybrid Mode my CPU (i7 4790K) & GPU (GTX 970) are at 99% (and GPU automatic Turbo Mode), the same strain as GPU only.

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited December 1969

One giant request for the final release from me. The ability to just select a color from the color picker for the environment texture. Its great for studio lighting setups.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

The reason is that the updated drivers also update OpenGL...which Studio relies on for the UI and all display functions not directly related to the render.

Thanks, I was wondering why that happened.

Anyway, for my limited experience with this, I'm quite happy with it. I have a lot to learn about all those settings lol ...
    Somebody mentioned having a problem with the Cyclorama set, I found rotating the thing around worked to get rid of that shadow from ?
    This render has the Sun dial preset as loaded, and one PSpot added which was rotated, repositioned, etc and dialed WAY up for lum etc.
    No postwork and yes it could use a trim, and possibly real 3D rocks but anyway ...

rotate_beach.png
    2000 x 2000 - 4M
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,569
    edited March 2015

RawArt said:
    ssllav said:
    This is a huge step forward. I'm about adding IRAY. BUT the nearest test showed that the small details are based on surface (bump map), such as veins and arteries will not work. Correct me if I'm wrong, or tell me how will it work?
    LuxRender have same problem.

IRay also can use displacements, you just have to make sure you turn on the subD levels for the displacement, or they will not show up.

...so where does one access these settings? The only options for Sub_D I can find are in the Edit menu for Objects and Figures.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
    edited December 1969

Just a heads-up, I don't think Mask and Multipass Toolbox is working properly with this beta (unless it needs to be reinstalled into the beta's folder, which I'll do if that's the issue).

• kaz42kaz42 Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    RawArt said:
    ssllav said:
    This is a huge step forward. I'm about adding IRAY. BUT the nearest test showed that the small details are based on surface (bump map), such as veins and arteries will not work. Correct me if I'm wrong, or tell me how will it work?
    LuxRender have same problem.

IRay also can use displacements, you just have to make sure you turn on the subD levels for the displacement, or they will not show up.

...so where does one access these settings? The only options for Sub_D I can find are in the Edit menu for Objects and Figures.

Under the shader, actually. If you have anything loaded into the Displacement Strength, it will add a couple fields below it... including a SubD Displacement Level. :)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Just a heads-up, I don't think Mask and Multipass Toolbox is working properly with this beta (unless it needs to be reinstalled into the beta's folder, which I'll do if that's the issue).

If you didn't have an earlier beta installed with DIM, it probably does need to be reinstalled.

edited March 2015

...OK, ran into an interesting bug.

Changed the ISO and shutter speed in the tone mapping settings (using a photographer's guide) and suddenly the scene rendered as if there was no sun at all. All of the mesh lights worked, but the rest of the scene was dark as midnight. Checked the environment settings and those were fine, the sun is set to the Sun Chain and in the right position, but no sunlight. I went back to the original settings (using the undo just to make sure I hadn't accidentally changed a different parameter or setting) and still am getting the same result.

It's as if the sun light simply vanished from the scene completely. I could just close the scene without saving but then I'd lose a number of materials settings I made.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited March 2015

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...OK, ran into an interesting bug.

Changed the ISO and shutter speed in the tone mapping settings (using a photographer's guide) and suddenly the scene rendered as if there was no sun at all. All of the mesh lights worked, but the rest of the scene was dark as midnight. Checked the environment settings and those were fine, the sun is set to the Sun Chain and in the right position, but no sunlight. I went back to the original settings (using the undo just to make sure I hadn't accidentally changed a different parameter or setting) and still am getting the same result.

It's as if the sun light simply vanished from the scene completely. I could just close the scene without saving but then I'd lose a number of materials settings I made.

If you have a camera in the scene, you have to balance the tone mapping with the camera's settings. I've been using tone mapping more like a post-process type lighting adjustment for minor tweaks. I wish I could use the camera for dof only and turn off its aperture and focal length.
    Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

...I didn't use any of the basic Daz camera settings as I know they do not work in Iray..

The odd thing it worked fine last night when I was experimenting with different F stops and ISO speeds. Tonight, when I attempted to mimic the look of Kodacrhome 64 (ISO of 64) and used the proper shutter speed (1/125) & aperture (f8) for bright daylight shots, the sun simply "disappeared". If it was simply a mismatch of settings, the entire scene would have rendered slightly darker (or.lighter) but not totally black with only the mesh lights showing. It was as if the sun had been "turned off" somehow or had something blocking it (like a skydome).

I ended up closing the scene without saving just in case there was some odd parameter that was changed as had I saved the scene whatever might have caused this would have been saved too. Currently redoing all the materials settings I lost.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Where did you see the camera settings don't work in iRay? I've been using them for shots with dof and they're working fine. AoA's cameras don't work, but the regular DS camera works just fine.

edited March 2015

...read somewhere where the standard Daz camera DOF didn't work with Iray and other tricks were being used like using the bloom setting.. Been going through a heck of a lot of pages and threads in the last couple days dealing with Iray and frankly, things are tending to blur together a bit.

Again, when I just used the Tone Mapping yesterday to make ISO, Fstop, and shutter speed adjustments, everything worked fine. I only touched the basic camera controls to turn the render camera's headlamp on and off .

• ben98120000ben98120000 Posts: 469
    edited March 2015

New Draw settings tab doesnt remember changed settings for SubDivision DrawStyle and Manipulation Binding. And Manipulation Binding default value is set to Full but it loads with Optimized value.

Attempting to add new layer with layered image editor on Environment map in render settings crashes DS to desktop.

Post edited by ben98120000 on
  • Earth BalmEarth Balm Posts: 27
    edited December 1969

I managed to get to grips with Reality and LuxRender because of the excellent support from Pret-a-3D. I've managed a really nice render of a scene (by pure chance) but am at a loss for where to begin with settings. Is there any support or information available to guide a beginner like me?
    Thanks in anticipation.

• EcVh0EcVh0 Posts: 535
    edited December 1969

Oh god I just can't get a interior image finish...
    Every time the iteration reaches 150 it stops going any further for hours and hours...
    Anyone have any idea why?
    And is there anyway to get rid of those fireflies?

• Twilight76Twilight76 Posts: 318
    edited December 1969

Every time the iteration reaches 150 it stops going any further for hours and hours...

Found this in a iray Performance Tips pdf

AVOIDING FIREFLIES / HIGH FREQUENCY NOISE
    The first step to do in order to eliminate or attenuate the so called fireflies (high frequency noise that
    comes in the form of bright spots) is to identify its source.
    Most of the times, fireflies are due to hard caustics.
    Once the source is identified, the following actions can be taken:
    ! Reduce the reflectivity. As a general rule, real-life materials rarely exceed a reflectance ratio
    of 0.7. Highly reflective materials will also slow down convergence.
    ! Avoid pure white colors
    ! Slightly modify the lights direction and/or intensity.
    ! Glowing objects may introduce further noise, hence they should be used only when
    necessary. For all other situations, shape lights are preferable.

• EcVh0EcVh0 Posts: 535
    edited December 1969

Jennyver said:

Found this in a iray Performance Tips pdf

AVOIDING FIREFLIES / HIGH FREQUENCY NOISE
    The first step to do in order to eliminate or attenuate the so called fireflies (high frequency noise that
    comes in the form of bright spots) is to identify its source.
    Most of the times, fireflies are due to hard caustics.
    Once the source is identified, the following actions can be taken:
    ! Reduce the reflectivity. As a general rule, real-life materials rarely exceed a reflectance ratio
    of 0.7. Highly reflective materials will also slow down convergence.
    ! Avoid pure white colors
    ! Slightly modify the lights direction and/or intensity.
    ! Glowing objects may introduce further noise, hence they should be used only when
    necessary. For all other situations, shape lights are preferable.

Thanks! But it is weird that there is no fireflies coming out when im using HDRi...

• DamselDamsel Posts: 374
    edited December 1969

First, if Sickleyields is reading this, I want to thank you MOST sincerely for your instructional video on Daz 4.8! It was really helpful. If any of you are struggling with 4.8 and its lighting, you should take a look at the video, here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5FZ5gS9v50&feature=youtu.be

Sickleyield, you are my heroine!

Question, however.

I rendered my pic of M6 and was most pleased with it, except for the graininess. I realize increased time means a better pic. So I jacked up the time the thing would spend, along with the number of samples to some huge number, and went to bed. When I got up, the image was still rendering, but the quality looked like a good, clear photo. The problem was, I couldn't STOP THE RENDER WITHOUT CANCELING IT. Now, Lux saves the render as you go, so that's not usually a problem, except of course, Daz doesn't save automatically, so I lost my pretty render. I wasn't too broken up over it, since it was only a guy against a background, more a test than anything else.

The question I have is this: what is the suggested quality for a GOOD render? I know you can jack the number of samples, but then it has a thing for the length of time in seconds. Fark if I know how long 50,000 seconds is. I could work it out mathematically, but me hates mathes.

Point is, if I say I want a render with 6,000 samples, and I have the max render time of 6,000 seconds, and it hits 6,000 seconds before it hits the render quality I've set, will it stop? What's a good time limit? What's the best number of samples? It's 2,000 for a Lux render, but this is obviously not the same, as a grainy render is 4,000. I know the Barefoot Dancer has a set of settings, but Smart Content says it can't find it. Betaness, I guess.

Also, I have a fairly good compy-- 34 gigs of RAM, 7 cores, GeForce GTX 660 TI graphics card. And it was wheezing. Literally. Wheezing. It's got seven fans, and every one of them was running like mad. I had it built a couple of years ago so I could do graphics. Anyhow, my kid says the motherboard is probably getting ready to die. I may do an upgrade. Probably not more ram--I have enough of that--but maybe another graphics card or two, if I can get them into the box and COOL the damned things. Anyway, explain the graphics card thing. How are some of you guys running three graphics cards without cooking your computer like an egg?

Don't judge. I bought my first computer in 1988, but I know nada about tech stuff. I just run programs and do art. And write stuff. I iz a dinosaur, I know. See my pretty scales and horns?

Oh, and Daz--I am impressed with Iradium. Though my computer wheezed, it never crashed. True, the smart content was bewildered, not knowing where anything was, but the regular content worked. Nice work. (Now, let the bitching commence. I have been a Daz customer since 2001, and there is always bitching.)