October, 2022 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Atmosphere, Ghosts and Special Effects

Comments

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,180

Thanks Kismet2012 for your really nice compliments on my images, I am glad you have enjoyed them. smiley

• RexRed said:

Entry title, "Grave"

When the grave gives up its dead...

The "RexRed" signature text was the only post work. 

RexRed artwork made for October intermediate contest entry. 

Don't delete the attachment, the inline image is pointing back to it. You probably still see the image as you have a cached copy, but it is gone for everyone else.

Richard Haseltine said:

RexRed said:

Entry title, "Grave"

Don't delete the attachment, the inline image is pointing back to it. You probably still see the image as you have a cached copy, but it is gone for everyone else.

Thank you Richard for drawing my attention to this issue.  yes

Richard Haseltine said:

RexRed said:

Entry title, "Grave"

Thank you Richard for drawing my attention to this issue. 

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

RexRed said:

Entry title, "Grave"

Another great image.  I really like all the details.  I keep finding things in the image.

RexRed said:

Richard Haseltine said:

RexRed said:

Entry title, "Grave"

Thank you Richard for drawing my attention to this issue.  yes

Richard is the best.  laugh

• Daedalus-7Daedalus-7 Posts: 198
    edited October 2022

..and here is my 2nd entry for the Intermediate challange. I was playing around with the new Vicky 9, which is heartsmiley 

I have added some background fog (with a depth canvas), as well as some dust (also masked by the depth canvas). 

Rendered in Daz Studio with Iray:

Magic Crystal Ball

Vicky 9 Magic JPG.jpg
    2700 x 2160 - 4M
    Post edited by Daedalus-7 on
  • aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 702
    edited October 2022

Rapt Attention

2nd Entry for Intermediate. Feedback welcome!

Rapt Attention.png
    1667 x 2000 - 6M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on

Kismet2012 said:

RexRed said:

Entry title, "Grave"

Another great image.  I really like all the details.  I keep finding things in the image.

Thanks for the lovely compliments Kismet2012!

I hope you are having a nice October! smileyheart

• Beginner Entry: Atmosphere

Title: Soul

@Kismet2012 thank you so much for nudging me towards the details. It is VERY appreciated. I think when I first posed her, placing the mirror had been a frustrationg process and I lost site of the thought of seeing her whole head. I have adjusted the mirror in this image. 

This will be my final revision. Thanks for all the help :- )

Soul Final for Daz.jpg
    897 x 1497 - 1M
  • ShimrianShimrian Posts: 473
    edited October 2022

It's been a couple months since I had time to do one of these, but wanted to try for this month. I'm not sure if this is more for Atmophere vs the Ghosts and Special Effects, but I did use volumetrics to add rolling fog on the ground.

Title: The coming storm

Intermediate challenge

Image of someone reaching out their hand

Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Comments to others on the thread:

@aprilshowers2065 Great job on your Flameheart. For comments on your second entry, I think the little dragon is super cute, but maybe it would work better if it's face was pointing towards the light?

@Daedalus-7 I really like your second entry, Magic Crystal Ball. Very cool flow when viewing this, it makes your eyes roll around and get lost in the image. :)

@isis4444merlin great progression on your image. I really like the end result.

@RexRed very good job on the October theme! Only comment here is that I think the ghoul in the front could be rising out of the ground more. Is it possible to distort the ground to make it rise up around the ghoul?

Coming storm with ground fog.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 807K
    Post edited by Shimrian on
  • @Shimrian Thanks! I blame it all on Vicky 9, she is quite eye catching :)

I like the mood of your latest entry, although something hard to do came into my mind, like having darkness and have as the only source of illumination the lightning? Maybe? laugh

edited October 2022

@Shimrian Thanks! I blame it all on Vicky 9, she is quite eye catching :)

I like the mood of your latest entry, although something hard to do came into my mind, like having darkness and have as the only source of illumination the lightning? Maybe? laugh

That's an awesome suggestion. I'm not sure how to do that, but I'll see if I can find some reference images to get inspiration from.
  • Aki3dAki3d Posts: 142

mission to the sun

intermediate challenge

I've created some transparent and emissive textures/ shaders to lit the scene and get the hologram and fire effect.

mission to the sun.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • bohemian3bohemian3 Posts: 1,027
    edited October 2022

Everyone is doing a great job - here are a few of the images that really caught my eye this go-round.

@Shimrian This is terrific - moody - the lightening and rain very well done and convincing. It's great as is - one small suggestion. Perhaps you can think about make the central character a little lighter (not much) - for me blends too much into back ground and 'competes' with the ruins for attention. Because the ruins are better lit, my eye is pulled more to them. Again, great job as is.

Shimrian said:  Title: The coming storm Intermediate challenge

@Daedalus-7 Everything is working here for me - the posing, the lighting of the orb. Your use of fog is really good here - the background elements are artistic and intentional, keeps our eye focused on the foreground, helping to the 'guide' the eye the way a good photographer or director does. Very well done.

Daedalus-7 said: Magic Crystal Ball

@aki3d Amazing detail work - vivid, atmospheric. Just a thought - the color rim on the right side of the face is perfect, really well done - perhaps a subtle brightening of the left side, not much. It fades into the background while the metal of the body suit 'pops.'  Also, the GUI graphics are excellent, convincing and really artistic.  Overall terrific job. 

aki3d said: mission to the sun intermediate challenge

All the work here is really great - thanks all of you for 'putting yourself out there' to grow and inspire others.  

Post edited by bohemian3 on

Daedalus-7 said:

..and here is my 2nd entry for the Intermediate challange. I was playing around with the new Vicky 9, which is heartsmiley 

I have added some background fog (with a depth canvas), as well as some dust (also masked by the depth canvas). 

Rendered in Daz Studio with Iray:

Magic Crystal Ball

Great work with the dust.  It is very believable.

The lighting is subtle and works really well.

aprilshowers2065 said:

Rapt Attention

2nd Entry for Intermediate. Feedback welcome!

I like the way her eyes are in deep shadow.  It adds some mystery to the image and makes me wonder what exactly she is doing.

The glowing mushrooms in the background add some interest to the image and give your eyes somewhere to land.

Cute little dragon too.

Shimrian said:

It's been a couple months since I had time to do one of these, but wanted to try for this month. I'm not sure if this is more for Atmophere vs the Ghosts and Special Effects, but I did use volumetrics to add rolling fog on the ground.

Title: The coming storm

Intermediate challenge

Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Comments to others on the thread:

@aprilshowers2065 Great job on your Flameheart. For comments on your second entry, I think the little dragon is super cute, but maybe it would work better if it's face was pointing towards the light?

@Daedalus-7 I really like your second entry, Magic Crystal Ball. Very cool flow when viewing this, it makes your eyes roll around and get lost in the image. :)

@isis4444merlin great progression on your image. I really like the end result.

@RexRed very good job on the October theme! Only comment here is that I think the ghoul in the front could be rising out of the ground more. Is it possible to distort the ground to make it rise up around the ghoul?

I am enjoying this image.  You have a bleak and hopeful feel at the same time.  Bleak because of the pouring rain and storm but hopefull with his willingness to help someone in need.

aki3d said:

mission to the sun

intermediate challenge

I've created some transparent and emissive textures/ shaders to lit the scene and get the hologram and fire effect.

Usually putting a figure way over to one side like that looks odd in an image.  It works in this image because of the console in front of her and all the lights.  The fire also draws the eye deeper into the image and then it's like "oh wait...there's a figure here too". 

I love the intensity of her gaze.

Great work.

bohemian3 said:

Everyone is doing a great job - here are a few of the images that really caught my eye this go-round.

@Shimrian This is terrific - moody - the lightening and rain very well done and convincing. It's great as is - one small suggestion. Perhaps you can think about make the central character a little lighter (not much) - for me blends too much into back ground and 'competes' with the ruins for attention. Because the ruins are better lit, my eye is pulled more to them. Again, great job as is.

Shimrian said:  Title: The coming storm Intermediate challenge

@Daedalus-7 Everything is working here for me - the posing, the lighting of the orb. Your use of fog is really good here - the background elements are artistic and intentional, keeps our eye focused on the foreground, helping to the 'guide' the eye the way a good photographer or director does. Very well done.

Daedalus-7 said: Magic Crystal Ball

@aki3d Amazing detail work - vivid, atmospheric. Just a thought - the color rim on the right side of the face is perfect, really well done - perhaps a subtle brightening of the left side, not much. It fades into the background while the metal of the body suit 'pops.'  Also, the GUI graphics are excellent, convincing and really artistic.  Overall terrific job. 

aki3d said: mission to the sun intermediate challenge

All the work here is really great - thanks all of you for 'putting yourself out there' to grow and inspire others.  

I agree.  Everyone is doing a great job.  

And I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to create these wonderful images and share them with us.

• Aki3dAki3d Posts: 142
    edited October 2022

aki3d said:

mission to the sun

intermediate challenge

I've brightened the light on her face and changed a little bit the tone of the skin to separate the face more from the BG.

I think it looks better now. thanks for notice.

mission to the sun b.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Aki3d on
    edited October 2022

Yes!   Perfect! - you did the perfect amount.  It's organic and part of the scene - what's interesting is it gives this high tech scene a breath of humanity as well, now that I can see her espression better (It's very well done).  Glad the note helped.

aki3d said:  I've brightened the light on her face and changed a little bit the tone of the skin to separate the face more from the BG.  I think it looks better now. thanks for notice.

• aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 702
    edited October 2022

Thank you for the feedback and suggestion, @Shimrian and @Kismet2012. Redid the dragon's pose so you can see its face

Rapt Attention 2.png
    1667 x 2000 - 6M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on

I am always amazed the difference a subtle adjustment to posing, lighting, etc can make to an image.  It doesn't always need to be a major change.

Really nice work @aki3d and @aprilshowers2065.  Great suggestion @bohemian3

edited October 2022

Good job, @aki3d. Very subtle difference, but it makes her face stand out a bit more. I love the blues and reds!

@aprilshowers2065, omg, the little creature thing looks soooo cute now! Great job on fixing the pose. I think the new image is much better.

Thanks everyone for your feedback! I made some adjustments so that the main source of light is coming from the lightning (or at least I tried). I also added a bit more light on the girl sitting down, but I'm not sure if that detracts from the lightning effect. I had to remove some of the fog because my new light source really made it glow too bright, but there is still some fog in there.

Lightning on scene of girl reaching hand up to man

Edit: Now that I've uploaded it, maybe it's too dark? Here is another image with a little bit more of the original dialed in.

reaching down to pull up girl on ground

The Storm comes more lightning.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 501K
    The storm comes - some lightning.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 556K
    edited October 2022

Hello @Shimrian - the evolution of an image is a magical thing.  I think you are really close to creating a really dramatic image. Still consider making the seated figure lighter.  I'm still not sure who's supposed to be the main focus - even with multiple elements, it's good to pick one.Another thing to consider is a dramatic rim light behind the standing figure - now since the ligthning is the main light source, that could add a lot of drama.  Remember, even if you are using natural laugting, you can still 'cheat' a little with spotlights behind a figure (subtly) for dramatic effect. 

I think the lighting of the rest of the elements is perfect - looking real good.  Overall, great job - it's really special getting to see someone evolve their style and share that.  Thank you for that.

Shimrian said: that I've uploaded it, maybe it's too dark? Here is another image with a little bit more of the original dialed in.

Shimrian said:

Good job, @aki3d. Very subtle difference, but it makes her face stand out a bit more. I love the blues and reds!

@aprilshowers2065, omg, the little creature thing looks soooo cute now! Great job on fixing the pose. I think the new image is much better.

Thanks everyone for your feedback! I made some adjustments so that the main source of light is coming from the lightning (or at least I tried). I also added a bit more light on the girl sitting down, but I'm not sure if that detracts from the lightning effect. I had to remove some of the fog because my new light source really made it glow too bright, but there is still some fog in there.

Lightning on scene of girl reaching hand up to man

Edit: Now that I've uploaded it, maybe it's too dark? Here is another image with a little bit more of the original dialed in.

The 3rd, slightly lightened version is the best IMHO.  It is a nice balance between being too dark and too light.  The details are there but so is the moodiness you had in the first version.

• Daedalus-7Daedalus-7 Posts: 198
    edited November 2022

@Kismet2012 @bohemian3 Thanks a lot for all the input..and praise :)

Post edited by Daedalus-7 on
  • Thank you! @Shimrian and @Kismet2012 laugh

edited October 2022

ok, this will be my final version for The coming storm.

Image of a storm

@bohemian3 - Thanks for your suggestions. I added more light on the girl (created my own ghost light from a tutorial) as well as a spotlight to try and bring out more edges on the man reaching down. I also purchased some new clouds from the sale, so added them to the scene for a more dramatic storm.

The storm comes dynamic - final.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 677K