Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,754

WendyLuvsCatz said:

video 

not an entry kiss

Very nice Wendy !!!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083

Yes, very nice Wendy!

UB - I don't get the amazing results you get with V3 no mater which figure I use.  blush

I have been transferring my prop grass, etc from my laptop to my newly restored desktop.  Have discovered some file reference errors.  Let me know if anything I posted (musical instruments, hair, tshirt, dress) does not work.  I think this is the first time I have tried to distribute stuff for from that computer so I might have some arrangement issues with where I have placed the data folder.

edited October 2022

My Mummy Entry - Genesis 8 Male Mummy in Carrara via Genesis 9

One of my 4 entries will feature a mummy.  Hope everyone has a mummy (and a daddy).  

Good news, Genesis 9 can be used in Carrara. 

1)  Getting G9 in Carrara.  I followed Wendy, ProProse, and Bunyip's helpful advice found in this thread.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/597316/genesis-9-we-are-back-in-the-game-carrara-users/p1

2)  Pick an Egyptian Themed Genesis 8 Character.  I picked the G8Male Mummy.

3)  Use the previous generation clones that come with G9 to transfer G8Male shape as a morph for Genesis 9.  See this video.

4)  For continued use, save as a Morph Asset.  I followed this video.

5)  Open Carrara and Load the Genesis 9 in Carrara Figure saved as a 'blended weight' character preset in step 1.

6)  Load and conform details like the blended eyebrows, eyes, eyelashes, etc also saved as character presets in step 1.

7)  Select my Genesis 9 figure and find the morph I created and saved in steps 3 and 4.

8)  Pose my mummy in Carrara, being careful to select true bones and not the twist sub-bones in the skeleton hierarchy.

mummy in carrara png.png
    800 x 600 - 65K
    aa01 g8 mummy by josh crocket.jpg
    1385 x 943 - 252K
    Post edited by Diomede on

My Mummy Entry will Need a Lot of Work.

Diomede said:

My Mummy Entry will Need a Lot of Work.

I'm sure you will get it wrapped up !!! wink

edited October 2022

Softbody Physics tests native to Carrara.

The biggest problem I had with tests of Carrara's softbody physics back in 2012 was calculation time.  My computer has changed a lot in ten years.  Necause my VWD plugin is temporarily broken, I decided to revisit Carrara's native softbody physics.  Modern graphics cards make a big differences.  This was just a test.  I modeled a quick ragged top around my G9 figure with the G8 Mummy shape.  Did a variety of iterations of the test.  My most recent test took less than 5 minutes to calculate a 2-second drape sequence in which the mummy twists its torso and raises its arm.  

There are several places to enable softbody physics.

1) Change the draping object's motion type from keyframe to phsics in the motion tab.

2) Change the draping object's physical properties of density bounce and friction in the object's effects tab

3) Add a modifier to the draping object.  Choose softbody or softbody attach.  For these tests, I chose softbody, not softbody attach.

4) Adjust softbody modifier settings.  In my most recent test, I decreased stiffness and bending, and checked 'margin' and set it to 44%, and set advanced quality to 30%.

5) In the scene tab, under physics, I increased simulation accuracy to over 300%.

bb01 model rag shirt on mummy.jpg
    1577 x 884 - 173K
    bb13bremove smoothing from mummy and took about 4 minutes eliminate chest poke through.jpg
    1434 x 896 - 210K
    edited October 2022

Test render.  You can see some artifacts on the top.  I tried adding a smoothing modifier to the top which about doubled calculation time.  The current skin for the mummy is a procedural shader.

bb14 test render.png
    640 x 480 - 146K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,869

remember to undial the smoothing to render it

edited October 2022

WIP.  Back to some landscapes with reflections and clouds and replicators now that I am at my desktop again.  Used an image editor for the main course of the river, which allowed me to use the same to create the distribution maps for replicators.  The river water itself is the old trick of applying a water shader to a terrain and then replicating it with 'seamless' enabled.  I tried to use a mixture of volumetric clouds and fog to get the haze.  There is one patch darker than the rest that needs investigation and editing.  I only used one or two grass models in the replicators for the WIP, so hopefully it will look better with more variety and an occasional palm tree or similar.  Additional terrains are in the distance and along the sides to give the sense of a valley.  One has a plateau filter for future pyramids.  I did like the way the water has a line of reflection from the sun but I think the atmosphere in general could be greatly improved.  Using the realistic sky editor general tools, not a preset at the moment.

cc01 scene setup nile.jpg
    1830 x 1043 - 327K
    CC02 Nile WIP.png
    1600 x 960 - 995K
    zip
    zip
    Egypt Stuff Zip.zip
    edited October 2022

Update.

CC03 Nile Landscape Custom Grass Reversed.png
    1600 x 960 - 987K

Diomede said:

Update.

Looking good !!!!

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited November 2022

Young Cleopatra Meets the God of Death

In ancient Egypt, Osiris was the ruler of death and the underworld.  But he was also god of life, resurrection, and vegetation, so he wasn't all dark. :)

A statue of Osiris:

In the render, the ghostly vision of Osiris is composed of a statue included in the Ancient Egypt Exhibit, and the beard from Luthbel's Anunnaki.

Young Cleopatra is Josie 6 - first time use.  The priestess is G3F, with the (mostly) standard Egyptian Outfit for G3F.- first time use  I added both headresses from Pharohs of the Sun for V4.  The tattoos are a Marcius skin (Alpha) no longer available at Daz.

The palace guards are all variations of D3 and his Egyptian guard outfit - first time use of the outfit.

The flames/energy were Jepes billboards augmented by Carrara lights.  Background structures are from Temple of the Pharohs - first time use.

Effects in Carrara included edge falloff and depth of field.  And of course, GMIC played a major role.

No postwork.

Young Cleopatra Meets the God of Death.png
    1800 x 1376 - 3M
    Young Cleopatra Carrara setup.JPG
    1594 x 1055 - 278K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • KhoeKhoe Posts: 293

UnifiedBrain said:

In ancient Egypt, Osiris was the ruler of death and the underworld.  But he was also god of life, resurrection, and vegetation, so he wasn't all dark. :)

A statue of Osiris:

In the render, the ghostly vision of Osiris is composed of a statue included in the Ancient Egypt Exhibit, and the beard from Luthbel's Anunnaki.

Young Cleopatra is Josie 6 - first time use.  The priestess is G3F, with the (mostly) standard Egyptian Outfit for G3F.- first time use  I added both headresses from Pharohs of the Sun for V4.  The tattoos are a Marcius skin (Alpha) no longer available at Daz.

The palace guards are all variations of D3 and his Egyptian guard outfit - first time use of the outfit.

The flames/energy were Jepes billboards augmented by Carrara lights.  Background structures are from Temple of the Pharohs - first time use.

Effects in Carrara included edge falloff and depth of field.  And of course, GMIC played a major role.

No postwork.

verry Interesstet image. 

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited November 2022

Diomede said:

Still experimenting with a variety of landscape designs for the delta.  Here is another WIP.  Lots of replicators.  Still not quite what I am looking for.

Edit: I was going to comment based on this WIP, but I see you've done what I was going to suggest. Great job!

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited November 2022

Stezza said:

Bunyip02 said:

UnifiedBrain said:

Bunyip02 said:

Pleading with the Gods - Final

Final Image

Nice scene and use of Egyptian characters!  For me, the lighting is much improved.  I would still like to see more face detail, especially from the guy pleading his case.  I tend to emotionally connect to the render of a character when face expression and hand position are more emphasized.

With the angle of the scene it is not possible to get a look at the Egyptians face without spinning the scene around. I did add a spotlight to lighten him up though !

WIP

Updated Image

great idea... being gods I would have had them on top of the steps looking down at the morsel grovelling at the bottom of the steps for mercy angel

I agree with Stezza. Having the gods on the steps would emphasize their power. I would also suggest a low camera angle. Looking up towards them would increase the visual impact, and/or scale, especially if it from the POV of the supplicant. I'll attach an example. or two. If you are worried about getting all the figures in frame, try using the wide angle camera and/or skewing your camera slightly diagnally. Good filmakers use this technique for dramatic effect (bad filmakers use it poorly). There is a technical name for the technique, but it escapes me.

Winging it.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
    Dystopi Dirigible V4_1.jpg
    2048 x 1280 - 2M
  • KhoeKhoe Posts: 293
    edited November 2022

A few more wip pics only the link to older Wip
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/e9/2c2b32e4a73f06b816aeacbce70d23.png
    then finished renderin and with postwork

old egypt.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 301K
    old egypt-retusch.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 414K
    Post edited by Khoe on

UnifiedBrain said:

A statue of Osiris:

No postwork.

Very nice !!!

evilproducer said:

Stezza said:

Bunyip02 said:

UnifiedBrain said:

Bunyip02 said:

Pleading with the Gods - Final

Final Image

Nice scene and use of Egyptian characters!  For me, the lighting is much improved.  I would still like to see more face detail, especially from the guy pleading his case.  I tend to emotionally connect to the render of a character when face expression and hand position are more emphasized.

With the angle of the scene it is not possible to get a look at the Egyptians face without spinning the scene around. I did add a spotlight to lighten him up though !

WIP

Updated Image

great idea... being gods I would have had them on top of the steps looking down at the morsel grovelling at the bottom of the steps for mercy angel

I agree with Stezza. Having the gods on the steps would emphasize their power. I would also suggest a low camera angle. Looking up towards them would increase the visual impact, and/or scale, especially if it from the POV of the supplicant. I'll attach an example. or two. If you are worried about getting all the figures in frame, try using the wide angle camera and/or skewing your camera slightly diagnally. Good filmakers use this technique for dramatic effect (bad filmakers use it poorly). There is a technical name for the technique, but it escapes me.

Hello EP, thanks for the feedback - will have another look at the scene !!!

Khoe said:

A few more wip pics only the link to older Wip
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/e9/2c2b32e4a73f06b816aeacbce70d23.png
    then finished renderin and with postwork

Awesome - lots to look at !!!

edited November 2022

Okay moved the Gods to the top of the steps, and the groveller to the bottom.

Tried a wide view but it shrunk the Gods in relation to the groveller which I was trying to avoid.

WIP

Render after Topaz postwork

CC64 Pleading with the Gods WIP 6.png
    2268 x 1033 - 921K
    CC64 Pleading with the Gods 2 Tpz.png
    1600 x 1200 - 4M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited November 2022

Changed the angle and tried the wide view on it - like this one betterer !!!

WIP

CC64 Pleading with the Gods WIP 6b.png
    2271 x 1033 - 1M
    CC64 Pleading with the Gods 2b Tpz.png
    1600 x 1200 - 4M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • Looking good!

edited November 2022

Bunyip02 said:

WIP

As I said before, I think this looks much better. It looks more dynamic and less like a diorama.

One other suggestion would be a way to pull the viewer's eye to your subjects. Using light is a great way to do this. The background temple should be darker than the subjects in the foreground. Not black by any means, especially since you have all that great detail on the walls and collumns. Using light and shadows will definitely help this pop.

Edited to add that I noticed in a couple of your screne shots showing your setup, that there are braziers that would have most likely been used for lighting. Historiucally, they may have held would or some oil to burn and create light. You couild use those with either Carrara fire or a billboard with a 2D fire image and a light bulb set to the fire color with your desired brightness, rang, and falloff to light the backwalls

Yo, @EvilProducer,

great to see you posting! 

Hope you are well.  You have been missed. 

All comments most welcome.

edited November 2022

Argh!

I just am having endless frustrations this month.  Hard drive failure.  Content recovery.  Having to reinstall several programs.  Some plugins with file drive references having to be reinstalled.  No VWD.

And now....

... the return of the mystry render error!

Argh, argh, argh.

Setting up a basic dramatic secret-lovers-caught scene.  Two figures in foreground with Egyptian architecture in background.  Doorway to have figure catching the lovers.  Simple, right?  Step by step setting up the background, do some test renders, adjust shaders, repeat.  Test renders fine.  Add one foreground figure and adjust lighting and shaders.  Test renders.  Adjust camera.  More test renders.  Test renders fine.  Add a second foreground figure and adjust.  Test renders...

Mystery Render Error. 

Turn off visibility of second foreground figure.  Still mystery render error.  Insert new camera.  Still mystery render error.  Point new camera away from scene at a simple static prop.  Still mystery render error.

Argh, argh, argh.

error 2.jpg
    1775 x 1002 - 269K
    error 3.jpg
    1662 x 906 - 63K
    error 4.jpg
    1711 x 924 - 232K
    error occurred.jpg
    1828 x 895 - 99K
    error scene 1.jpg
    1882 x 1028 - 276K
  • sometimes it's a specific texture, often a tiff or bmp file

WendyLuvsCatz said:

sometimes it's a specific texture, often a tiff or bmp file

Thanks.  Have been testing removing each scene element and then clearing unused objects and shaders.  Nothing seems to be the cause.  Argh.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,812

@diomede I bags the replicator

hope you find the culprit... it's looking great yes

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,812

evilproducer said:

Bunyip02 said:

WIP

As I said before, I think this looks much better. It looks more dynamic and less like a diorama.

One other suggestion would be a way to pull the viewer's eye to your subjects. Using light is a great way to do this. The background temple should be darker than the subjects in the foreground. Not black by any means, especially since you have all that great detail on the walls and collumns. Using light and shadows will definitely help this pop.

Edited to add that I noticed in a couple of your screne shots showing your setup, that there are braziers that would have most likely been used for lighting. Historiucally, they may have held would or some oil to burn and create light. You couild use those with either Carrara fire or a billboard with a 2D fire image and a light bulb set to the fire color with your desired brightness, rang, and falloff to light the backwalls

great to see you dipping your toes back on the forum oh evil one devil

being on top of the steps makes a big difference.. agree on lighting, may take a few coloured spotties with selections in the all objects and/or only selections.. I would also use DOF on the camera to dullen the background to bring out the figures more...

doing great @Bunyip02  yes

Diomede said:

Argh!

I just am having endless frustrations this month.  Hard drive failure.  Content recovery.  Having to reinstall several programs.  Some plugins with file drive references having to be reinstalled.  No VWD.

And now....

... the return of the mystry render error!

Argh, argh, argh.

Setting up a basic dramatic secret-lovers-caught scene.  Two figures in foreground with Egyptian architecture in background.  Doorway to have figure catching the lovers.  Simple, right?  Step by step setting up the background, do some test renders, adjust shaders, repeat.  Test renders fine.  Add one foreground figure and adjust lighting and shaders.  Test renders.  Adjust camera.  More test renders.  Test renders fine.  Add a second foreground figure and adjust.  Test renders...

Mystery Render Error. 

Turn off visibility of second foreground figure.  Still mystery render error.  Insert new camera.  Still mystery render error.  Point new camera away from scene at a simple static prop.  Still mystery render error.

Argh, argh, argh.

Hope you get it sorted Diomede !!!