Changing the colors of the forums.

MalandarMalandar Posts: 672
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Okay I know there has to be a way to change this color scheme around. This is just too damned bright to my eyes. On my old CRT screen it might have been ok but not on this LCD. I think I read someone saying something about being able to change the colors even without an option built in. If someone knows how could you explain?

Comments

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

Easiest route is to use a CSS override plugin. See this post: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/646/ on where to get a couple of them...

• MalandarMalandar Posts: 672
    edited December 1969

Thanks much better now.

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited December 1969

Malandar said:
    Okay I know there has to be a way to change this color scheme around. This is just too damned bright to my eyes. On my old CRT screen it might have been ok but not on this LCD. I think I read someone saying something about being able to change the colors even without an option built in. If someone knows how could you explain?

Sorry, Malandar, but this is another example of why I say some folks' images are often too dark. People need to calibrate their monitors. The website design I'm looking at right now is not too bright. Your monitor is set too bright.

• MalandarMalandar Posts: 672
    edited December 1969

Then why is it only DAZ that I was having problems with being too bright?

Fine now though nice and dark gray.

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited December 1969

Malandar said:
    Then why is it only DAZ that I was having problems with being too bright?

Fine now though nice and dark gray.

Something in your monitor setup. My Yahoo e-mail is more white than the DAZ Forum. If your monitor is not calibrated all kinds of issues can arise. And then there are the auto features on some monitors that try to make everything extra vivid. They respond to certain values.

• hamstergirl4444hamstergirl4444 Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

No Malandar, it's not just you and probably not your monitor - this site, like the last one, is too damn bright! I had finally gotten Color That Site working on the old store LOL, and am afraid to tackle this one...with so many things broken, I'll probably wind up smashing it completely :)

• Cyn ArtCyn Art Posts: 0
    edited May 2012

A matter of personal requirements. I kinda need a whole 'nuther format. LoL I'm having difficulty distinguishing cut-off points, and can hardly see the smileys. A lot of straining for me.

Might help to search if there are available add-ons for the browser. At least, that's my plan . . . I hope. ;-P :lol:

Be careful, though. Might want to back up what you might want to restore. The last time I tried that for color, it took over other sites, too. Was a little bit of a pain.

ADD: Oooo. Ick ick. I think it was color-that-site that did that. Not for me, thanks anyway. LoL

ADD'G AGAIN: Never occurred to me to put in a request. LoL - I would love to be able to have the "profile", "pm" & "quote" buttons" simply an outline, or something other than that dark gray. (And those nasty dark bars on the quotes.) They're so distracting, it hurts, and really break up the format badly. The other little buttons fit so much better into the scheme (kind of outlined instead), and the icon-like pictures made them distinguishable more quickly.

BACK AGAIN: Alright, I'm having to stop now. ~ I tried.

Post edited by Cyn Art on
  • boni_m_ab7b32f625boni_m_ab7b32f625 Posts: 113
    edited December 1969

I do realize that this is a personal issue, but if there could be a way to change the color scheme for the site as was with the last one I for one would greately appreciate it. I have a visual impairment and even with monitor calabrations this is too bright and the "grey" lettering is imposible for me to read. I realize you have other things to work on now, but if there will be a color scheme option in the near future, I would be grateful.

Sincerely
    Boni

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 6,995
    edited December 1969

I know people are going to wanna lynch me for saying this... STARK UGLY FACEBOOK/APPLE STORESQUE ALIEN ABDUCTION NIGHTMARE... Looks BAD. My screen is calibrated. There is no anti-ugly calibration. My Corneas hurt. Even if I turn down the contrast it is still ugly... Ever wonder why Blender has a grey background and AutoCAD users usually set their prefs to black or grey? WHITE HURTS!
    DARK WHITE, LIGHT GREY, MEDIUM LIGHT WHITISH WARM WHITE GREY #001 or TONED DOWN WHITE, all MAY AS MAY AS WELL BE WHITE! I can only hope there will be some form of theme option that will allow us to choose something else without having to override it with a plugin...
    Why does every website out there have to copy this horrible style?

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518
    edited December 1969

No Malandar, it's not just you and probably not your monitor - this site, like the last one, is too damn bright! I had finally gotten Color That Site working on the old store LOL, and am afraid to tackle this one...with so many things broken, I'll probably wind up smashing it completely :)

yep, that plug in for FF works great for me, just inverted the colors and it's easy on my eyes again.

• hamstergirl4444hamstergirl4444 Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

This place just feels, I dunno......unfriendly?! Grrrrrrr, looks like I'm gonna have to start munchin' on some webjockey's soft parts till they get this place working right...(never, ever p*ss off a hamster who's already flashing fang LOL)

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,145
    edited May 2012

What I found though is that for the forums Color that Site is coloring text in pink but on the store it's in green so I think I'm going to have to do two profiles. STRANGE!!

Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • SilverhurstSilverhurst Posts: 182
    edited May 2012

Here's my Color that Site export if you want. Dark grey backgrounds with green lettering and misc, grey text, and a little yellow text. Seems to work good on all the pages for me so far. I tried posting this to Rendo yesterday, but for some reason it worked great on the store, but not quite the same as I see on the forums, so no guarantees.

Style 'New Daz Dark Grey and Green' for daz3d.com

The following part is for use by the Firefox Add-on 'Color That Site!'
    See: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/200730/
    ColourThatSite_Export(1,0.14)[
    ewogIm9yaWd1cmwiOiJodHRwOi8vd3d3LmRhejNkLmNvbS9mb3J1bXMiLAogIm5hbWUiOi
    JOZXcgRGF6IERhcmsgR3JleSBhbmQgR3JlZW4iLAogInVybG1hdGNoc3RyIjoiQC1tb3ot
    ZG9jdW1lbnQgZG9tYWluKGRhejNkLmNvbSkiLAogInNjb3BlIjoiZG9tYWluIiwKICJzZX
    R1cCI6e30sCiAiaGFuZGxlQml0bWFwIjp7fSwKICJjaGFuZ2VkYXRlIjoiMjAxMi0wNS0x
    OSAwMDozMToyMCIsCiAicHJvY2VzcyI6ewogICIwIjp7CiAgICJsdW1CZyI6LTAuNzkKIC
    B9LAogICIxIjp7fSwKICAiMiI6ewogICAia2luZCI6MCwKICAgImh1ZUZnIjowLjc1Mjc3
    Nzc3Nzc3Nzc3NzgsCiAgICJzYXRGZyI6MC41NiwKICAgImx1bUZnIjowLjA5LAogICAiY2
    9sQXJyIjp7CiAgICAiMCI6ewogICAgICJjb2xpeCI6ewogICAgICAiMCI6IiMwMDcwQkYi
    CiAgICAgfX19fSwKICAiMyI6ewogICAia2luZCI6MSwKICAgImx1bUJnIjotMC43NiwKIC
    AgImNvbEFyciI6ewogICAgIjEiOnsKICAgICAiY29saXgiOnsKICAgICAgIjAiOiIjRkNG
    Q0ZDIgogICAgIH19fX0sCiAgIjQiOnsKICAgImtpbmQiOjAsCiAgICJodWVGZyI6MC42OD
    MzMzMzMzMzMzMzMzMzLAogICAic2F0RmciOjAuNjgsCiAgICJsdW1GZyI6MC4zMSwKICAg
    ImNvbEFyciI6ewogICAgIjAiOnsKICAgICAiY29saXgiOnsKICAgICAgIjAiOiIjNDA0MD
    U1IgogICAgIH19fX0sCiAgIjUiOnsKICAgImtpbmQiOjEsCiAgICJsdW1CZyI6LTAuOCwK
    ICAgImNvbEFyciI6ewogICAgIjEiOnsKICAgICAiY29saXgiOnsKICAgICAgIjAiOiIjRU
    VFRUVFIgogICAgIH19fX0sCiAgIjYiOnsKICAgImtpbmQiOjAsCiAgICJodWVGZyI6MC42
    MzYxMTExMTExMTExMTExLAogICAic2F0RmciOjAuMTQsCiAgICJsdW1GZyI6MC43NSwKIC
    AgImNvbEFyciI6ewogICAgIjAiOnsKICAgICAiY29saXgiOnsKICAgICAgIjAiOiIjMzgz
    OTRCIgogICAgIH19fX0sCiAgIjciOnsKICAgImtpbmQiOjEsCiAgICJsdW1CZyI6LTAuMD
    EsCiAgICJjb2xBcnIiOnsKICAgICIxIjp7CiAgICAgImNvbGl4Ijp7CiAgICAgICIwIjoi
    I0YzRjNGMyIKICAgICB9fX19LAogICI4Ijp7CiAgICJraW5kIjoxLAogICAiaHVlQmciOj
    AuMzUyNzc3Nzc3Nzc3Nzc3OCwKICAgInNhdEJnIjowLjEsCiAgICJsdW1CZyI6LTAuNzEs
    CiAgICJjb2xBcnIiOnsKICAgICIxIjp7CiAgICAgImNvbGl4Ijp7CiAgICAgICIwIjoiI0
    ZGRkZGRiIKICAgICB9fX19LAogICI5Ijp7CiAgICJraW5kIjowLAogICAiaHVlRmciOjAu
    MTQxNjY2NjY2NjY2NjY2NjYsCiAgICJzYXRGZyI6MC44OCwKICAgImx1bUZnIjowLjM5LA
    ogICAiY29sQXJyIjp7CiAgICAiMCI6ewogICAgICJjb2xpeCI6ewogICAgICAiMCI6IiM1
    NTU1NTUiCiAgICAgfX19fSwKICAiMTAiOnsKICAgImtpbmQiOjAsCiAgICJodWVGZyI6MC
    4zMTY2NjY2NjY2NjY2NjY2NSwKICAgInNhdEZnIjowLjksCiAgICJsdW1GZyI6LTAuNzEs
    CiAgICJjb2xBcnIiOnsKICAgICIwIjp7CiAgICAgImNvbGl4Ijp7CiAgICAgICIwIjoiI0
    ZGRkZGRiIKICAgICB9fX19LAogICIxMSI6ewogICAia2luZCI6MSwKICAgImh1ZUJnIjow
    LjYzODg4ODg4ODg4ODg4ODgsCiAgICJzYXRCZyI6LTAuNTMsCiAgICJsdW1CZyI6LTAuNz
    gsCiAgICJjb2xBcnIiOnsKICAgICIxIjp7CiAgICAgImNvbGl4Ijp7CiAgICAgICIwIjoi
    I0VGRUZGNCIKICAgICB9fX19LAogICIxMiI6ewogICAia2luZCI6MCwKICAgImh1ZUZnIj
    owLjMsCiAgICJzYXRGZyI6MC4wOCwKICAgImx1bUZnIjowLjEsCiAgICJjb2xBcnIiOnsK
    ICAgICIwIjp7CiAgICAgImNvbGl4Ijp7CiAgICAgICIwIjoiIzY2NjY2NiIKICAgICB9fX
    19LAogICIxMyI6ewogICAia2luZCI6MSwKICAgImh1ZUJnIjowLjYxMzg4ODg4ODg4ODg4
    ODksCiAgICJzYXRCZyI6MC4wOSwKICAgImx1bUJnIjotMC43MSwKICAgImNvbEFyciI6ew
    ogICAgIjEiOnsKICAgICAiY29saXgiOnsKICAgICAgIjAiOiIjRjBGMEYyIgogICAgIH19
    fX0sCiAgIjE0Ijp7CiAgICJraW5kIjowLAogICAiaHVlRmciOjAuNjM4ODg4ODg4ODg4OD
    g4OCwKICAgInNhdEZnIjowLjksCiAgICJsdW1GZyI6MC4xNiwKICAgImNvbEFyciI6ewog
    ICAgIjAiOnsKICAgICAiY29saXgiOnsKICAgICAgIjAiOiIjNDI0QTY1IgogICAgIH19fX
    0sCiAgIjE1Ijp7CiAgICJraW5kIjowLAogICAiaHVlRmciOjAuMzA4MzMzMzMzMzMzMzMz
    MzUsCiAgICJzYXRGZyI6MC43OSwKICAgImx1bUZnIjowLjgxLAogICAiY29sQXJyIjp7Ci
    AgICAiMCI6ewogICAgICJjb2xpeCI6ewogICAgICAiMCI6IiMwMDAwMDAiCiAgICAgfX19
    fSwKICAiMTYiOnsKICAgImtpbmQiOjEsCiAgICJodWVCZyI6MC40OTE2NjY2NjY2NjY2Nj
    Y2NCwKICAgInNhdEJnIjowLjA5LAogICAibHVtQmciOi0wLjc0LAogICAiY29sQXJyIjp7
    CiAgICAiMSI6ewogICAgICJjb2xpeCI6ewogICAgICAiMCI6IiNFREVDRUUiCiAgICAgfX
    19fSwKICAiMTciOnsKICAgImtpbmQiOjAsCiAgICJsdW1GZyI6MC41MiwKICAgImNvbEFy
    ciI6ewogICAgIjAiOnsKICAgICAiY29saXgiOnsKICAgICAgIjAiOiIjMjIyMjIyIgogIC
    AgIH19fX0sCiAgIjE4Ijp7CiAgICJraW5kIjowLAogICAiaHVlRmciOjAuNTYzODg4ODg4
    ODg4ODg4OSwKICAgInNhdEZnIjowLjU2LAogICAibHVtRmciOjAuMTksCiAgICJjb2xBcn
    IiOnsKICAgICIwIjp7CiAgICAgImNvbGl4Ijp7CiAgICAgICIwIjoiIzRENzA5OSIKICAg
    ICB9fX19LAogICIxOSI6ewogICAia2luZCI6MCwKICAgImx1bUZnIjowLjYsCiAgICJjb2
    xBcnIiOnsKICAgICIwIjp7CiAgICAgImNvbGl4Ijp7CiAgICAgICIwIjoiIzJEMkQyRCIK
    ICAgICB9fX19fX0=
    ]ColourThatSite_Export

Post edited by Silverhurst on
  • Dumor3DDumor3D Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

I have noticed over the years, that most high end photography sites, or at least the ones most appealing to me, are in gray tones. Just like this site except 'all' the tones are darker. When I look at those sites, I never notice that even black interferes with the quality of any image. White however as a background, totally overpowers a dark image. Suddenly your wonderful render looks like crap on a white background.

As for brightness? It can be the monitor but most of the time it is the room lighting in combination with the monitor. I do like to hit the boards late at night and often times am happy to have almost all the lights off by that time. The white is blaring then.

I've never been extremely happy with too much muting.... I hate medium gray text over slightly lighter medium gray text. (How did the remote control makers get on this kick as you have to try to 'read' them in a half dark room!) It seems that some muting however could be a good thing. Or maybe, uploaded images could go into a dark gray box separated somewhat from the post area?

Anyway, I find that the light colors are clean and refreshing, but just don't work well for much of what is created by the users.

edited December 1969

Here's mine... very simple. I'll for sure load up yours and see if it's more to my liking...

ColourThatSite_Export(1,null)[
    ewogIm9yaWd1cmwiOiAiaHR0cDovL3d3dy5kYXozZC5jb20vZm9ydW1zL3ZpZXd0aHJlYW
    QvMTIzL1AxNSIsCiAibmFtZSI6ICJSQU0nUyBEQVozRCIsCiAidXJsbWF0Y2hzdHIiOiAi
    QC1tb3otZG9jdW1lbnQgdXJsLXByZWZpeChodHRwOi8vd3d3LmRhejNkLmNvbS8pIiwKIC
    JzY29wZSI6ICJzaXRlIiwKICJzZXR1cCI6IHsKICAiYml0bWFwSGFuZGxpbmciOiAzCiB9
    LAogImhhbmRsZUJpdG1hcCI6IHt9LAogImNoYW5nZWRhdGUiOiAiMjAxMi0wNS0yMyAxOT
    o1NDowOCIsCiAicHJvY2VzcyI6IHsKICAiMCI6IHsKICAgImh1ZUZnIjogMC42ODMzMzMz
    MzMzMzMzMzMzLAogICAiaHVlQmciOiAwLjE2OTQ0NDQ0NDQ0NDQ0NDQ1LAogICAic2F0Rm
    ciOiAwLjEsCiAgICJzYXRCZyI6IC0wLjI2LAogICAibHVtRmciOiAwLjc2LAogICAibHVt
    QmciOiAtMC44NAogIH0sCiAgIjEiOiB7fX19
    ]ColourThatSite_Export

edited December 1969

Hi Silverhurst... wondering how you created new entries to pinpoint various background and text colors. Brilliant work. I did go through and change your green to Wolffie green though! LOL I have one little area that I'd love to change... the input box I'm typing in in a muted green with a light gray text... like to make that more contrasted.. Lighten up the muted gray or lighten up the text color and darken the background but went through all the inputs you created and couldn't pinpoint those two elements! Other than that and my little changes to your work and this is really a great looking place now! Easy on the eyeballs! :-)

• SilverhurstSilverhurst Posts: 182
    edited December 1969

I prefer light colors with dark text for boxes too, but the problem I ran into with the coloring is that the color of the boxes is also used as a surround color in other areas, and it looked worse that way than with the colors I ended up using imho. At least I was able to leave check boxes and radio boxes white with black.

For finding colors on a page, there is a wand below the magnifying glass next to the available color boxes. Using this tool helps a bit.

Anyways, glad I could help get you started.

• Cyn ArtCyn Art Posts: 0
    edited May 2012

Back to trying again after a rest.
    . . . I didn't have this problem before.

I don't understand why it's such a problem to offer more than one scheme, or adjustment options.

:long: I'm really sad.

ADD: Hey! I did find an add-on for Firefox called "Black Out". For my older version FF, though.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/blackout/?src=ss

It takes some adjustment and finding the right color codes for custom, but it's changed my background color,
    my separating lines, my buttons to outline only, and my link colors. You have to "refresh" after each color change
    when you're figuring out your scheme. To keep the toggle on for following pages, check "Stay in the dark" in the drop down menu beside the icon in the Navigation Bar. It does affect every page in every tab until turned off, though, with "Stay in the dark" unchecked. (Again, push the icon on the Navigation Toolbar to toggle it on and off singularly.)

I do so miss the gray areas of the outside margins, but . . .
    for the "normal" all white page and close DAZ Link color (but outlined white buttons) the setting is:
    Bkgr: f f f f f f Text: 111111 Headers/Links: 00669f (Bkgr: f f f f f e for a hair grayer, etc.)

BLACKOUT_Options_Large-c.jpg
    456 x 568 - 72K
    Post edited by Cyn Art on
  • ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited May 2012

dumorian said:
    I have noticed over the years, that most high end photography sites, or at least the ones most appealing to me, are in gray tones. Just like this site except 'all' the tones are darker. When I look at those sites, I never notice that even black interferes with the quality of any image. White however as a background, totally overpowers a dark image. Suddenly your wonderful render looks like crap on a white background.

As for brightness? It can be the monitor but most of the time it is the room lighting in combination with the monitor. I do like to hit the boards late at night and often times am happy to have almost all the lights off by that time. The white is blaring then.

I've never been extremely happy with too much muting.... I hate medium gray text over slightly lighter medium gray text. (How did the remote control makers get on this kick as you have to try to 'read' them in a half dark room!) It seems that some muting however could be a good thing. Or maybe, uploaded images could go into a dark gray box separated somewhat from the post area?

Anyway, I find that the light colors are clean and refreshing, but just don't work well for much of what is created by the users.

Exactly, good post! There's a whole branch of science named Computer Vision on this. Monitors are made to be looked at in a room with some ambient light. If you have two completely different situations (e.g. broad daylight, and at night only the monitor as a light source) you should have two calibrations, not one.
    White on the monitor should never appear that much brighter than a printed page with white background (in fact ideally they should be the same brightness on LCDs). It's broad daylight here for me and paper is at least 50% brighter than the forum colour. So a solution for nighttime should be to... switch on a light. ;-)
    Post edited by ReDave on
    edited December 1969

I prefer light colors with dark text for boxes too, but the problem I ran into with the coloring is that the color of the boxes is also used as a surround color in other areas, and it looked worse that way than with the colors I ended up using imho. At least I was able to leave check boxes and radio boxes white with black.

For finding colors on a page, there is a wand below the magnifying glass next to the available color boxes. Using this tool helps a bit.

Anyways, glad I could help get you started.

OK.. turns out to be background #8.... I just desaturated it and moved the bottom one to the right and got it lighter. So the light gray text looks good enough to see. Thanks

There is no magic wand though, it's only on the top most one and when I clicked it and then clicked in the input box nothing happened. So not sure if that's a bug in this code or what.

So how did you create the new options boxes with just one color in it?? That's really cool! :-)

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

I just inverted all the colours so I have a black background and text in shades of grey and white which is a lot easer on my eyes

• edited December 1969

I hate this new site. Damn, DAZ has turned me into a grouch - I can't believe it. :(