DAZ Studio Pro 4.7.0.12, General Release, Now Available!

Comments

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

KK, I'm sorry but I am giving up on trying to explain the technology to you. I am afraid it looks to me like you don't care at all and you don't even want to try and actually give it a chance. This makes me very, very sad because you are robbing yourself of possibilities.

Just one last time: a DS camera is an application-specific class that loads a volume shader as an atmosphere. According to RiSpec, any volume shader can be used as both an atmosphere and an interior. EZVolume is a shader. Its default preset loads it attached to a camera, but it works perfectly as an interior, and the fix is a few lines of freshman-level code.

Good luck in waiting for every developer to coordinate their efforts. I hope you get what you want one day.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited March 2015

...apologies on this end as well.

All I know is what fits well for my workflow. I feel that nice "medium" I spoke of in the other thread is now gone. Yeah, that old 20-20 hindsight says I should have just stayed with 4.6, however I had no idea that the current update was going to mess things up..

"Freshman level code"? I have been totally out of touch with anything remotely related to programming since I burned out on it two decades ago. Having to write tonnes of code was what turned me off from CG years before the advent of the software that we have now and take for granted today. When I first came across Daz 1.7, I felt I finally found what I dreamed of back in the late '80s, CG software that took the concept from a much more creative, rather than purely mathematical or programming perspective.

My main draw to this is to use it to tell stories with after severe arthritis took the traditional tools out of of my hands.

I've already taken Reality4 off my system due to a serious bug that I understand will never be fixed (which also relates shader issues as well). Dealing with the issues mentioned here and on the other "AoA" thread has become very discouraging and I will often go a day or two without bothering to even power up the workstation.

This used to be fun, I couldn't wait to get home to dive into a new project. There would be times I started an evening session only to look out and see it getting light. Now when I sit down at my desk I often wonder if it is even worth the effort any more as the frustrations of the software seem to be outweighing the enjoyment of creating and seeing the finished scene.

...maybe time for a new sig: "...dammit Jim, I'm an artist, not a bloody programmer"

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,139
    edited March 2015

Regarding the topic of plugins being for the version of DS they were issued for and not keeping up with new DS versions... True enough. I've been burned a few times by plugin 'gotchas'.

DAZ Studio is free, we can't fault the price. There was a time when I was all over it as immature, garageware, not ready for prime time, because (in my opinion) it was, right up through the early versions of Studio3. But those days have passed. The later versions of Studio3 were my workhorse for a very long time. I've shelved my major complaints about DS and now only whimper a little when a particular feature changes or breaks. I've even finally adopted to Studio4, leaving my revered Studio3 languishing in a seldom used corner of my system.

However, I've been wary of third-party plugins. It's nice that someone comes along and cobbles up a fix or a new feature to tack on to Studio but continued support is iffy. Free plugins are worth the risk, but paying oodles for plugins, finding that they fit one's workflow well, and then discover that they have broken or vanished in subsequent versions of DS is very disheartening.

Lighting plugins have usually been of very little interest to me. I'm usually quite satisfied with what I can get from standard Studio lights. And am not interested in delving into the technology of more advanced lighting. If/when DAZ adopts new lighting technology I take the time to test it out and see if it makes things easier, faster or significantly better that what I currently use but I'm not going to jump at the opportunity to spend more money on new lights and textures. The new "Iray" technology looks interesting but in my case it looks like I'd have to buy an NVidia graphics card for my system to get any significant advantage, so there goes my enthusiasm and it tempers my impulse to welcome Studio4.8

Also, the accumulation of buckets of plugins (especially third-party plugins) overcomplicates the process of installing and testing new versions of Studio. I'm sure that some users drool over new technology and can't wait to test drive it or produce new models to sell based on the new technology. However, for the vast majority of us out here, this is supposed to be fun, not work. It's nice that Studio has matured and now has some professional type features not too far behind the technology curve. But it's reaching the point where many of us don't care. Perfection is approached asymptotically. At some point one has to say "I'm happy right here". For many of us, new technology becomes a deterrent. If I'm happy driving a Buick, do I really need a Jaguar? Well, perhaps, as long as the steering wheel is on the left and it's an automatic transmission! ;-)

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited December 1969

For many of us, new technology becomes a deterrent. If I'm happy driving a Buick, do I really need a Jaguar?

It's not your father's Buick anymore! heh heh! I couldn't resist. Their slogan just popped into my head. I read there's a new version of 3Delight in 4.8 that's a little faster. That has me tempted.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,139
    edited March 2015

For many of us, new technology becomes a deterrent. If I'm happy driving a Buick, do I really need a Jaguar?

It's not your father's Buick anymore! heh heh! I couldn't resist. Their slogan just popped into my head. ...

Actually, in my case it IS my father's Buick. 8-) "2003 Buick LeSabre Custom V6" Leather, heated seats, A/C, FM/AM/CD, power everything. Everything works. Big, clean, comfortable, great condition, no dings, no rust, 80,000 miles, 31 MPG on the highway. And insurance is cheap! It's probably the last car I'll ever own. Fabulous car for long trips. My father left it to my stepmother when he died, then she left it to me when she died. All it cost me was a flight to Orlando to pick it up, a new gas cap to replace the one I had lost the first time I filled it up. Then motel and gas for the 1200 mile trip home. (Admittedly though, I did make a small adventure of the trip and splurged for three days at Disney World and Universal Studios) Which all added up to about the Blue-Book value of the car anyway :-s But, I know its full history and know it was well cared for.

Yeah, it doesn't understand my speech, doesn't have satellite radio or TV, doesn't have a built-in map system, doesn't have a rear view camera, and doesn't park itself, but I don't care. It works the way I want it to and I'm happy with it. Much like off-the-shelf DAZ Studio.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited December 1969

Heh, heh... my first car was my father's 1964 Buick LeSabre. It was a good car!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited December 1969

...inherited my Grandad's1964 Buick Special back in my late high school days.Nice dependable little car which seemed to have a bit of get up and go. Turned out it was one of the 300 V8s.

edited December 1969

Those engines were great! And easy to fix, too.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Heck, I want my 1980 Datsun 200SX back. :(

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Back to DS and did anyone else notice that their computer suddenly speeded up immeasurably after installing the PostgreSQL CMS!? Mine used to seem laggy when Valentina was in there, but it's like the whole thing is at warp speed now, she must have been a big girl! I don't actually use the CMS, but to know that this one helps my PC when the last one didn't is good to know.

CHEERS!

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,092
    edited December 1969

Can anyone help me - how can I REMOVE Valentina from my PC? I installed 4.7 and PostgreSQL but the CMS still runs all the time so presumably Valentina is still there.
    By the way I installed DS4.7 through DIM, but my previous version and CMS were installed manually.

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

It's not your father's Buick anymore! heh heh! I couldn't resist. Their slogan just popped into my head. I read there's a new version of 3Delight in 4.8 that's a little faster. That has me tempted.I will not say it's incredibly faster, tho how it dose things, is Far Improved. Horrible face-plant-time figures, still bog 3delight down for bloody ages, lol.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/785461/

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040
    edited December 1969

MelanieL said:
    Can anyone help me - how can I REMOVE Valentina from my PC? I installed 4.7 and PostgreSQL but the CMS still runs all the time so presumably Valentina is still there.
    By the way I installed DS4.7 through DIM, but my previous version and CMS were installed manually.

Windows?

There should be an uninstaller in the DAZ 3D/CMS directory; you can also find it in the start menu, all programs, under DAZ 3D.

edited December 1969

MelanieL said:

I just did it, if you have one, go to your Start Menu and under All Programs there's a folder for Daz3D, you'll find 2 folders relating to the CMS, the one named DAZ Content Management Service contains a shortcut for the uninstaller for Valentina, run it and that's it. You'll get a warning saying uninstalling will impact DS, but, as you're already running the other one, it won't. Just go for it and that's it, done. I restarted and opened DS and it was fine.

If you don't have a start menu, there is a folder for uninstallers in the DAZ3D folder.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

namffuak said:
    MelanieL said:

Windows?

There should be an uninstaller in the DAZ 3D/CMS directory; you can also find it in the start menu, all programs, under DAZ 3D.
    Thanks but the only uninstaller I can see is for the Content Management Service itself - won't this remove the PostgreSQL version as well?
    (And yes, I'm Windows 7 Pro)

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    MelanieL said:

I just did it, if you have one, go to your Start Menu and under All Programs there's a folder for Daz3D, you'll find 2 folders relating to the CMS, the one named DAZ Content Management Service contains a shortcut for the uninstaller for Valentina, run it and that's it. You'll get a warning saying uninstalling will impact DS, but, as you're already running the other one, it won't. Just go for it and that's it, done. I restarted and opened DS and it was fine.

If you don't have a start menu, there is a folder for uninstallers in the DAZ3D folder.

CHEERS!
    I only see one folder for CMS and one uninstaller. This is my DAZ3D folder:

Capture.JPG
    1205 x 371 - 47K
    edited December 1969

No, it's separate from that one. I installed them both manually so I had 2 uninstaller folders. If the folder you have was related to PostgreSQL that's what it would be named and that's what the uninstaller would be called. The Content Management Service folder and uninstaller is Valentina and it's safe to uninstall.

CHEERS!

edited April 2015

MelanieL said:

I only see one folder for CMS and one uninstaller. This is my DAZ3D folder:

Yup, that's Valentina and you can run it. The PostgreSQL CMS folder is at the bottom of that pic!

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
    edited December 1969

OK thank you - I'll try that then! (Though I can't see any sign of an "uninstall" in the PostgreSQL folder so don't know how that would be removed, but I suppose I'll cross that bridge if I ever come to it - DS 9 maybe!)

edited December 1969

If you put it in with the DIM, I suspect you'd take it out with it as well.

CHEERS!

• edited December 1969

Is there a way to change how the render settings pane is laid out? all the sliders are being squashed by the menus and to be honest, i preferred the layout in 4.6 because I had a bit more control over it; I didn't have to go through tabs like the perimeters of a figure to find something and although the top bar wasn't all that needed, it was less cluttered

edited December 1969

From what I can tell, no, and the layout is the same in the 4.8 betas and will continue to full release.

CHEERS!

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

You should be able to change your layout to look just like your old layout. I've moved several of the windows and so forth in the beta to match my old set up.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Khory said:
    You should be able to change your layout to look just like your old layout. I've moved several of the windows and so forth in the beta to match my old set up.

You can't change the dials inside one pane - like the Render Settings Pane ...

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,171
    edited May 2015

New DAZ Studio 4.x Pro (4.8.0.55) General Release thread is here...

-Rob

Post edited by rbtwhiz on
  • DAZ STUDIO 4.8 IRADIUM IS A WASTE AND DOESN'T WORK WITH DAZ 4.7 PRO!

• DAZ STUDIO 4.8 IRADIUM IS A WASTE AND DOESN'T WORK WITH DAZ 4.7 PRO!

I'm not sure what you mean here, as 4.8 is the successor to 4.7

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

yeah I am puzzled too by his/her first ever comments

• HOW CAN I DOWNLOAD DAZ STUDIO 4.7 PRO VERSION?

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724

You can't.