3d Prints Made With Carrara as Starting Point

HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
edited August 2022 in Carrara Discussion

Well, I bought a 3d printer two months ago now that they have dropped down to a price that ordinary mortals can afford. I have to admit that it's taken two months to learn how to use the thing. After many failed prints I'm still learning. Don't let anyone tell you they are plug and play - and they are slow - think a one legged snail.

Be interested to see if anyone else is using Carrara in this way.

Interesting trying to get your head around three d composition as opposed to painting on canvas composition.

This could be a maquette but possibly it won't be 

Working on a series - "House Gods and Ball Joint Dolls" - maybe with Hans Belmer in mind.

I'll post more eventually - too many to pick from...

'Cog God Variation 1" PLA and acrylic paint. 23 x 8 cm. (maquette?) this is a Daz Model slightly altered. Exported with the displacment intact. Made manifold etc in 3dBuilder. Sliced in Cura 5.

Cog made in a free online cog generator.

Post edited by Headwax on

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524

Interesting !!!

What's the approximate price of each item printed ?

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

Thanks Mr Bunyip02. Hopefully not like the Chinese Curse! Lets see this filament cost 24 to 30 australian a kilo. You cant uy it by the metre so your mikage varies dpending on the weight of the filament , think carbon fibre verses copper infusedd. I looked at uni of wollongong site today re their fins ... they are using 123 aus dollars for 250 grams? Of filament. So cost for this model , two months of grief , 20 failed prints, one screwed nozzle , one screwed pei bed, 125 grams of fulament, superglue, axrylic paint, 15 years of learning how to model in 3d, 20 kilos of filament to experiment with, the joy of doing it myself, (priceless) , hours of mucking around .... so the print is about 2,40 australian :) .

Ie once you know what you are doing it is cheap

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Wow!  yesyesyes

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

Headwax said:

Thanks Mr Bunyip02. Hopefully not like the Chinese Curse! Lets see this filament cost 24 to 30 australian a kilo. You cant uy it by the metre so your mikage varies dpending on the weight of the filament , think carbon fibre verses copper infusedd. I looked at uni of wollongong site today re their fins ... they are using 123 aus dollars for 250 grams? Of filament. So cost for this model , two months of grief , 20 failed prints, one screwed nozzle , one screwed pei bed, 125 grams of fulament, superglue, axrylic paint, 15 years of learning how to model in 3d, 20 kilos of filament to experiment with, the joy of doing it myself, (priceless) , hours of mucking around .... so the print is about 2,40 australian :) .

HA!

Looks pretty good, may I ask what type of printer you went for?

-- Walt Sterdan 

Diomede said:

Wow!  yesyesyes

Thanks Ted, far from perfect but a start.!

wsterdan said:

Headwax said:

HA!

Looks pretty good, may I ask what type of printer you went for?

-- Walt

Heh, thanks Walt. :) i’m going fir the rough look! 

Ender S1 Pro. It’s had mixed reviews from users on the facebook page. Main problem is I think that many, like me, are new to the game. So if the printe comes with everything loose or one thing loose you assume that’s how it is supposed to be until you find out otherwise. Mine was good but the bed nuts were loose and that took a week or two to understand that that wasn’t right. Creality quality control could be better. The automatic bed levelling works fine and the pei sheet on the bed is very good. They have new sonic pad coming out so you can tun

edited August 2022

... so you can run Klipper on it without the normal hassle .

oh this uses chep’s ultra fast .28 profile if thats of any interest, for Cura 5.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,179

I'm curious about the level of detail possible.  I got interested in the tugboat model (image attached) after a long search for such a waterline resin model.  It is an O-scale kit, but only two pieces for the boat I think, a hull and the upper decks.  The three human figures are included as separate models.  I'm guessing that a 3D print would have to be done in many more pieces, if it can be done at all.  BTW, its hopefully a good addition to the solar powered resin lighthouse I own, which is great. 

Tugboat Resin Model.jpg
    500 x 500 - 79K
    Walmart Lighthouse.jpeg
    612 x 612 - 35K
    edited August 2022

Hi looks like 3d printing in SLA  resin is pretty detailed.

I'm using another process - FDM - where you build up in layers. You can go to about ..12 mill layers with FDM, I typically use .28 because I don't want a smooth surface.

The build size of each model is related to the buildsize of the printer. With FDM you can use supports to support overhangs of greater than 45 degrees.

In the cog God model I cut it into two parts (so just below the shoulders) and printed the top part with supports and the bottom parte - legs etc- with no supports.

If you were to print your tugboat in FDM you would probably print the Chimney by itself and possibly cut the rest of the model in half vertically ie Top to bottom - and place the resulting flat edhges of the two halves on the build plate - that way you would need (probably) less supports because most of your walls would be near vertical.

Not sure how SLA works in that regard though. 

Headwax said:

Hi looks like 3d printing in SLA  resin is pretty detailed.

I'm using another process - FDM - where you build up in layers. You can go to about ..12 mill layers with FDM, I typically use .28 because I don't want a smooth surface.

The build size of each model is related to the buildsize of the printer. With FDM you can use supports to support overhangs of greater than 45 degrees.

In the cog God model I cut it into two parts (so just below the shoulders) and printed the top part with supports and the bottom parte - legs etc- with no supports.

If you were to print your tugboat in FDM you would probably print the Chimney by itself and possibly cut the rest of the model in half vertically ie Top to bottom - and place the resulting flat edhges of the two halves on the build plate - that way you would need (probably) less supports because most of your walls would be near vertical.

Not sure how SLA works in that regard though. 

Okay, thanks.  Sounds like a whole new adventure.

Yes a whole new adventure plus one. I think if you have a need to rpint something then the adventure is less gruesome. Ive been printing surfboard fins , snapped the first two because of internal design stupidity and using the wrong plastic. Misled by a uni here that initially published a report saying that pla and petg didn’t snap . Ill need to print then with carbon fibre infused nylon. You need an enclosure and. High temp hot end, both of what i have, but just no time :) sorry about typos ipad causes them.

edited September 2022

Goddess of Coopers - wip  27 cm high with round wooden stand

P9110011.jpg
    3000 x 4000 - 4M
    P9110014.jpg
    3000 x 4000 - 2M
    Cooper.jpg
    2472 x 3005 - 5M
    P9110016.jpg
    3000 x 4000 - 3M
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524

Headwax said:

Goddess of Coopers - wip  27 cm high with round wooden stand

Looking great !!! Did you print out as one object or different pieces than glued together ?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Same question.  Single print?

Tha k you both Ted and Bunyip02, answer in morning !

Impressive.  Does the title refer to something in particular?

Headwax said:

Tha k you both Ted and Bunyip02, answer in morning !

this is one print apart from the wheel which hasnt been attached yet.

i had a layer shift at the elbows because the nozzle ran into the supports (sinced removed) that were holding up the arms. A layer shift happens and the nozzle dumps plastic in mid air and makes a mess, so i repostioned the elbows as best i could with blue tack and elastic bands and almost saved the dat. Makes it eclectic rather than perfect...

Steve K said:

thankyou, i’m getting a collection togather called House Gods and Ball Joint Dolls. It turns out coopers is a popular beer here ? So the title adds unintended resonance. 

Headwax said:

Steve K said:

thankyou, i’m getting a collection togather called House Gods and Ball Joint Dolls. It turns out coopers is a popular beer here ? So the title adds unintended resonance. 

Ah, THAT Cooper's. Coopers Original Pale Ale is available at the large liquor chains here in Houston, gets good reviews.  4.7/5

Steve K said:

Headwax said:

Steve K said:

Ah, THAT Cooper's. Coopers Original Pale Ale is available at the large liquor chains here in Houston, gets good reviews.  4.7/5

ahh , see what you learn on the Carrara forum !

edited September 2022

here is my work shop

not sure if you can see this - a acebook video

(3) Facebook

(5) Facebook

Headwax said:

here is my work shop

Impressive, but I'm not sure I could sleep in that room ... surprise

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

Steve K said:

Headwax said:

here is my work shop

Really? I'm absolutely sure I couldn't. laugh 

Steve K said:

Headwax said:

here is my work shop

ha ha, it's hard enough cooking in there with them :)

wsterdan said:

Steve K said:

Headwax said:

here is my work shop

Really? I'm absolutely sure I couldn't. laugh 

There's nothing a Daz suit of armor doesnt protect against!! (Chain mail around neck just in case)

edited August 2023

K4 on the new laser engraver 

Hmm will try uploading image again - daz tells me I have been blocked

figuredtout