LOL! Oh, alright. You twisted my arm.

• MikeyFTLMikeyFTL Posts: 367
    edited December 1969

Eeeeek!

8.png
    681 x 681 - 481K
    edited February 2015

And remember kiddies....unlike other hair, REAL Hairs add little to nothing to your render times unless shadows are used. Each of these pics rendered in about 30 seconds. Shadows will greatly increase your render times. Not sure if DAZ3D has the ability to exclude an object from casting shadows. That would be a nice option.

And as always, close ups are no problem.

9.png
    1013 x 707 - 1M
    Post edited by MikeyFTL on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,148
    edited December 1969

Looks really awesome Mikey!

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Looks really awesome Mikey!

Thanks. It's my first hairstyle so I hope everyone likes it.

edited February 2015

However, if you don't a mind a few minutes extra wait, shadows make REAL hairs look fuller even when setting the thickness down as low as 10%.

11.jpg
    903 x 664 - 183K
    10.png
    659 x 659 - 450K
    edited December 1969

Once you go blonde...

Unfortunately, you just can't do blonde without shadows.

12.jpg
    672 x 672 - 247K
    edited December 1969

What sort of shadows do you recommend? Image based or the raytraced?

Not a blond fan but reds, how to reds hold up without shadows?

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    What sort of shadows do you recommend? Image based or the raytraced?

Not a blond fan but reds, how to reds hold up without shadows?

I always use raytraced with my lights.

Here's a comparison between shadows and no shadows. It's a no brainer if you're looking for realism.

14.png
    636 x 698 - 503K
    13.png
    627 x 696 - 495K
    edited December 1969

OK. Does look better. Thanks Mikey!

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,823
    edited February 2015

MikeyFTL said:
    And remember kiddies....unlike other hair, REAL Hairs add little to nothing to your render times unless shadows are used. Each of these pics rendered in about 30 seconds. Shadows will greatly increase your render times. Not sure if DAZ3D has the ability to exclude an object from casting shadows. That would be a nice option.

If you use Ubersurface (included with Studio) or Ubersurface2 or Uberhair (separate products in store) shaders on the hair itself, you can turn off casting and accepting shadows. I wouldn't do that for a final render (I don't generally do it at all, frankly). I do turn off occlusion most of the time; it doesn't seem to do anything for hair. And I turn off raytracing if no reflections are involved in the scene.

Post edited by vwrangler on
    edited December 1969

vwrangler said:
    MikeyFTL said:

If you use Ubersurface (included with Studio) or Ubersurface2 or Uberhair (separate products in store) shaders on the hair itself, you can turn off casting and accepting shadows. I wouldn't do that for a final render (I don't generally do it at all, frankly). I do turn off occlusion most of the time; it doesn't seem to do anything for hair. And I turn off raytracing if no reflections are involved in the scene.

Excellent. That's good to know.

edited February 2015

Playing with Laticis' new beard. Finally someone is doing good things with fibermesh. Luckily my stubble lines up with his beard nicely. Can't wait to see his final product. Unfortunately my hair looks like crap compared to it. Grrrr!

Need to work on my roots and blends.

2.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 298K
  • Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited December 1969

Actually, the Cast Shadows option is in the Properties tab for any mesh you'd like, shader independent.

edited February 2015

Playing with a real high and tight idea.

2.png
    1013 x 707 - 528K
    1.png
    1013 x 707 - 516K
    edited February 2015

And an optional smidge on the sides

5.png
    1013 x 707 - 509K
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,215
    edited December 1969

Ooh, shiney! :-)

edited December 1969

Me Likey, Mr. Mikey!

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Me Likey, Mr. Mikey!

Thanks. I think this is the way to go for this hairstyle. The center spike can be an additional module that's added afterwards for anyone who wants to get freaky.

• ShawnBoothShawnBooth Posts: 465
    edited December 1969

I really want this hair! How much and when?

edited February 2015

I really want this hair! How much and when?

Still gotta work out the kinks (pun intended) and finish the morphs. Morphs will include kink, frizz, clump, thickness, and length.

I will try to submit to DAZ3D within the next week or so.

I don't think this should cost more than $9.99. There's not much to it. Just the skull cap, side blends, stubble, and a patch running down the center for adding a spike. All parts can be used separate or together to make a bunch of looks.

edited December 1969

A little bit of the Mohawk module

2.png
    1013 x 707 - 489K
    1.png
    1013 x 707 - 483K
    edited February 2015

...and a bit more

4.png
    1013 x 707 - 419K
    3.png
    1013 x 707 - 573K
  • XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited December 1969

Very nice! This will be a must-have, especially at that competitive price. Am assuming it'll come in the usual base colours; blonde, black, brown, red?

edited December 1969

Very nice! This will be a must-have, especially at that competitive price. Am assuming it'll come in the usual base colours; blonde, black, brown, red?

Of course.

colors.jpg
    1100 x 1078 - 674K
  • XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited December 1969

Ooh, white... That'd be perfect for the character I mentioned before. Can think of some uses for the blue and green, too. :)

edited February 2015

Ooh, white... That'd be perfect for the character I mentioned before. Can think of some uses for the blue and green, too. :)

Colors are easy. Just like with REAL Hairy, it's all done in Surfaces. It doesn't use any textures. Diffuse color for the base, Ambient color for the highlights and Glossiness % for shine strength. For example, salt and pepper uses an off-white diffuse color and a black ambient. You can make a million different colors. Woof, Daddy!

10.png
    1100 x 1100 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Might want to do a few multi colored maps too Mikey. Like browns and blonds, Browns and reds, Browns and blonds with funky colors like purple or green.... mix it up! Hair color is NEVER one color. As a hairdresser if I look at a section of hair there are about 10 colors that stand out right away. Now I know that's impossible to do with digital hair but you can variate a few colors here and there and let the lights and shadows fill in the rest.

edited February 2015

RAMWolff said:
    Might want to do a few multi colored maps too Mikey. Like browns and blonds, Browns and reds, Browns and blonds with funky colors like purple or green.... mix it up! Hair color is NEVER one color. As a hairdresser if I look at a section of hair there are about 10 colors that stand out right away. Now I know that's impossible to do with digital hair but you can variate a few colors here and there and let the lights and shadows fill in the rest.

Maps have been a pain to work with because it always applies the map to each individual hair....so it looks unnatural on the different lengths of cut hairs. It never turns out right. Then again I may be doing it completely wrong.

Our patriotic friend here has red hair with blue tips. Meh.

11.png
    900 x 900 - 740K