CARRARA CHALLENGE #63: There be Dragons..... WIP

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,845

I was thinking the dragon can also be an analogy for many things

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited July 2022

here's a quickie from me back tomorrow to comment on the fantastamagorical work

The Dragon Gate

The Untainted Work

The Fiddled with Work

DragonGatWIP.jpg
    2000 x 2166 - 2M
    DragonGate.jpg
    2000 x 2166 - 3M
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • with forest primeEVIL plants

and just the carrara stuff for the landscape

dinos1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    karst swamp1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,718

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I was thinking the dragon can also be an analogy for many things

Hello Wendy - participants are welcome to think outside of the box, do you have time for a couple of non-entries ?

Headwax said:

The Dragon Gate

The Untainted Work

The Fiddled with Work

Very nice !!!

shlomi laszlo said:

with forest primeEVIL plants

Great looking scene - I took the liberty of making the image larger, hope that is okay !

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,192

Looks like a lot of good work going on here.  I'm still tied up on another project, but a loose neuron snapped back into place and said "You did something like this a while back".  And amazingly I found it, a 2006, 25 second video using some DAZ Dragon (I've lost track) and the great Veronica Year 3 outfit from Uzilite (2004).  Just for grins:

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,807
    edited July 2022

be careful where you use your yoyo!

dragons are fascinated by them!

Beware of dragons.png
    800 x 600 - 745K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Steve K said:

Looks like a lot of good work going on here.  I'm still tied up on another project, but a loose neuron snapped back into place and said "You did something like this a while back".  And amazingly I found it, a 2006, 25 second video using some DAZ Dragon (I've lost track) and the great Veronica Year 3 outfit from Uzilite (2004).  Just for grins:

Nice !!! Have you got time for a quickie animation ?

Stezza said:

Another superb Dragon Stezza !!!

edited July 2022

I am looking at using Dart's Dragon animation freebie for an animation.

Anyone else looking at doing an animation ?

CC63 DragonAnim 1.png
    3152 x 1029 - 610K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited July 2022

Dart's animation cobbled together in Carrara.

Will do the animation rendering this weekend.

CC63 DragonAnim 2 WIP.png
    3840 x 1042 - 2M
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,192

Bunyip02 said:

Steve K said:

Nice !!! Have you got time for a quickie animation ?

Thanks.  No, I'm pretty wrapped up in another project, but thanks.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083

Stezza said:

The Herculoids 

revamped file from one I did 2013 when Carrara was v8  wink
    changed the dragon style using 3DU dragon for dragon3 added foliage, props and added Tara ( Zandor's wife ) who wasn't in my original file.

I loved the Herculoids growing up.  These 3D models are top notch.  

If anyone is not familiar with the classic show, see this clip to see what a great job Syezza did.

Bunyip02 said:

Postwork

First of all used Topaz Adjust with the Crisp filter to bring out the details.

Next used Topaz Adjust Color Blast filter to bring out the colour.

Then into Filter Forge and applied the Aquarelle filter for a NPR look.

Back into PSP and adjusted the Filter Forge layer to 65% transperancy so the filter look did not overpower the image.

Final postworked image.

Cool image, Bunyip.  Thanks for posting your workflow.  The methods to enhance the details get a thumbs up.  And I always enjoy seeing the great results for older figures like Aiko.    

Stezza said:

Thanks Carrara'ists ... I posted the DownUnder Dragon for anyone who may find it useful for the challenge yes

Herculoids was one of my favs heart

Thanks for the dragon!  And as I mentioned above, Herculoids was one of my favs as well.

Stezza said:

I made use of the dragon smiley

Fantasy Garden Party

Willy Gruen went to a garden party
    and much to his surprise
    there was singing crows
    and onion breath
    and lots of dragon flies

everything except the background picture I modelled in Carrara yes

Another demonstration of superior modeling skills.  You do show the possibilities of the Carrara modeler.  I am thinking of a way to use your dragon for one of my four entries.  Hmmm.  Thinking cap on.

Headwax said:

The Dragon Gate

The Untainted Work

The Fiddled with Work

Wow, gives me an Inquisition vibe.  Complete mastery of light and shadow, as per usual Andrew standards.  yes

shlomi laszlo said:

with forest primeEVIL plants

Glad the dino is not looking toward me for its next meal.  Well done on the landscape and populating with plants.  I think the Carrara built in landscape tool is one of its best features.

Stezza said:

Black cat is bad luck!  And with a dragon sneaking up, looks like really bad luck!

Bunyip02 said:

You are off to a good start.  I may do an animation but it is my lowest priority.  I have a couple of single-image ideas I want to do, one of which requires brushing up on another software.  So I am behind, but I hope I catch on quickly.  For one of my projects, as a Tolkien fan, I plan on modeling the 'Dragon Helm of Dor Lomin' in a sculpting program and texture it in a painting program.  I find if I haven't used a program in a while, I forget the basics, like how to navigate in the viewport.  If I progress relatively quickly, I do plan on doing an animation, but only if I progress quickly.

edited July 2022

Apologies if I missed anyone, and for the multiple posts of the Herculoids video link.  My connection to the forum has been acting all strange recently.  See this screenshot for an example of another recurring problem.

error 504.jpg
    1576 x 977 - 93K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited July 2022

False start.

RE: Dragon Helm of Dor Lomin.  I had started modeling something in Carrara and got this far.  But I plan to start over.  Seems like a good project to use as a tutorial for a sculpting program and painting program.  So even though I am posting this Work in Progress, and I could finish the modeling project in Carrara, I prefer to use this as a learning opportunity.  Sculpting programs can make normal maps from two versions of a mesh.  So here is a false start Carrara WIP using Carrara's vertex modeler. 

dragon helm.jpg
    1840 x 1045 - 190K
    edited July 2022

Diomede said:

Bunyip02 said:

You are off to a good start.  I may do an animation but it is my lowest priority.  I have a couple of single-image ideas I want to do, one of which requires brushing up on another software.  So I am behind, but I hope I catch on quickly.  For one of my projects, as a Tolkien fan, I plan on modeling the 'Dragon Helm of Dor Lomin' in a sculpting program and texture it in a painting program.  I find if I haven't used a program in a while, I forget the basics, like how to navigate in the viewport.  If I progress relatively quickly, I do plan on doing an animation, but only if I progress quickly.

In future Challenges I am going to try and get at least one entry as an animation, time permitting !!!

I must confess that I have watched the tutorials for Silo and 3DCoat & Hexagon more than once..... Yet to get the Stezza bug where I model something new every day !!!

Diomede said:

Apologies if I missed anyone, and for the multiple posts of the Herculoids video link.  My connection to the forum has been acting all strange recently.  See this screenshot for an example of another recurring problem.

The dreaded 504 and it's evil cousin 502 I have been getting lots of.....

Diomede said:

False start.

RE: Dragon Helm of Dor Lomin.  I had started modeling something in Carrara and got this far.  But I plan to start over.  Seems like a good project to use as a tutorial for a sculpting program and painting program.  So even though I am posting this Work in Progress, and I could finish the modeling project in Carrara, I prefer to use this as a learning opportunity.  Sculpting programs can make normal maps from two versions of a mesh.  So here is a false start Carrara WIP using Carrara's vertex modeler. 

Looking good !!!

DAZ3D has approved the Challenge, sponsorship details have been updated !!! Thanks DAZ3D !

Get those entries started !!!!!!!!!!!

edited July 2022

Yay, thank you, Daz, for continued support.

I picked up the new Paris city center and am thinking of ways to give it a go.  Here I have a bunch of dragons being defeated by the French at night.  Replicated the falling dragon on a cylinder I put around the tower.  Inserted a starry sky in the backdrop.  Played with a background bigradient to get the yellow reflection for the tower at night.  Tried a dome of distant lights set to only light the dragons in an attempt at a rim light but I think it just made the image even more flat.  Still experimenting with this idea.

WIP Dragons and Eiffel Tower.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 228K
    scene paris dragon wip.jpg
    1886 x 995 - 232K

Diomede said:

Yay, thank you, Daz, for continued support.

I picked up the new Paris city center and am thinking of ways to give it a go.  Here I have a bunch of dragons being defeated by the French at night.  Replicated the falling dragon on a cylinder I put around the tower.  Inserted a starry sky in the backdrop.  Played with a background bigradient to get the yellow reflection for the tower at night.  Tried a dome of distant lights set to only light the dragons in an attempt at a rim light but I think it just made the image even more flat.  Still experimenting with this idea.

looks great.. great camera angle

was thinking of getting the tower but thought it may not load in Carrara but good to see it has... was the loading time very long? 

Diomede said:

Stezza said:

The Herculoids 

revamped file from one I did 2013 when Carrara was v8  wink
    changed the dragon style using 3DU dragon for dragon3 added foliage, props and added Tara ( Zandor's wife ) who wasn't in my original file.

I loved the Herculoids growing up.  These 3D models are top notch.  

If anyone is not familiar with the classic show, see this clip to see what a great job Syezza did.

thanks @diomede

I shall honour you by changing my user name during the course of the challenge wink