What happenened to the .daz file format

DigitalrdwDigitalrdw Posts: 87
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Installed DS Pro 4.5 and opened a previously saved scene. Maybe a few changes and tried to save back as a .daz file and that format is not available any more. What is the .duf format and how is it a benefit?

Comments

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,838
    edited August 2012

The .DUF is the new universal format that they are using for everything now, from scenes to light presets.

In the past if you saved a scene it converted everything in the scene into DSO, DSD & DSV files, now the DUF format should only convert things into DSF files (asset files for Genesis etc) that aren't already in that format.

Post edited by Bejaymac on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

.duf has a lot of advantages over .daz:
    smaller files
    automatically goes back to Poser files if the Data files are missing
    compressed plain text so it can be edited manually if desired
    in future versions it will be backward compatible (since 4.5 is the first version that uses them, there aren't any earlier versions, but when 4.6 comes out scenes saved in 4.6 will still work in 4.5)

• DigitalrdwDigitalrdw Posts: 87
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the additional information that helps.

• jimmulvaneyjimmulvaney Posts: 341
    edited December 1969

Say what you want about the .daz file format but I never had an issue with DS "not responding" like I do with the .duf format... EVERY TIME!

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

I haven't met that - where is it happening? Windows 7 is a bit eager to say not responding, even when an application is merely busy but twill finish soon.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

I get it quite often ... it tends to happen after something like a load or save has ended, but obviously something more is happening ...

• jimmulvaneyjimmulvaney Posts: 341
    edited December 1969

I haven't met that - where is it happening? Windows 7 is a bit eager to say not responding, even when an application is merely busy but twill finish soon.

Yes, I am running Windows 7 x64 it happens when I load a character with power loader and when I go to load a scene file. Even if I just open up DS and wait for it to finish "Not Responding" and THEN load a scene file (.duf) it will go into "Not Responding" status again. The worse is trying to load V4 with Morphs++, Elite and Creature... it takes forever to finish "Not responding".
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

PowerLoader has nothing to do with the .duf format. After loading, it could be that the optimising of images is hogging the CPU.