Image background

Daniel BarnettDaniel Barnett Posts: 389
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

I have an image of an object I'd like to create. Is it possible to add the image to Hex as a guide for creating objects?
Thanks
dbb

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

dbbdaniel said:
    I have an image of an object I'd like to create. Is it possible to add the image to Hex as a guide for creating objects?
    Thanks
    dbb

Certainly. You can put in on the grid, accessed on a tab beside the scene tree tab.

pics_on_grid.png
    1106 x 599 - 222K
  • Daniel BarnettDaniel Barnett Posts: 389
    edited December 1969

dbbdaniel said:
    Thanks
    dbb

Certainly. You can put in on the grid, accessed on a tab beside the scene tree tab.
    Thank you - I'll give it a try!!
    dbb

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited January 2015

You can also use a plane (a bit long winded, but I make a cube then select a face, press I and delete the faces- this is saved in my Hex Project folder) then in UV & Paint tab select Planar projection.

This gives you a new material. In the Materials tab you can browse for your picture. Where this method is better (I think) is you can set the scale in the Properties tab (remember to knock a digit off, so if the picture is 450*500 make it 45*50) so you have a more accurate reference image, you can also have multi-pics, one for each view.

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

You also may want to give Gary Miller's method a try. He shows how to create a visual guide and use it in Hexagon. It involves finding your image(s), using a photo editor, creating a plane in Hexagon then adding the image(s) to the plane.

It takes a few minutes for him to explain things, but he does eventually get to creating a image guide for use in Hexagon.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

The method of mapping images to planes - or even to an open-sided box is great because you can line them up nicely for different views. it has two drawbacks, though.

One is that Hex likes to invert images between sessions and the other is that when you go to wireframe mode, so do the planes on which the images are mapped, so they vanish!

• useroperatoruseroperator Posts: 247
    edited January 2015

I typically change the canvas size of an image to a 1:1 aspect ratio, this keep the image from being distorted when you map it to a plane. I just map the image to a cube. This all saves from having to create a plane with the proper aspect ratio matching the image.

Post edited by useroperator on