Off Topic Thread #2

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,656

5 states now with the possability of a candle lit night......

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,794

Bunyip02 said:

5 states now with the possability of a candle lit night......

have mine ready 

edited June 2022

can Stezza do this with a homing pigeon or are the cameras still too big!

answered my question 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,794
    edited June 2022

fanciers now use a tiny GPS to track them racing home rather than cameras..

we still have power wink

evilnfrau.png
    487 x 513 - 329K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited June 2022

About to set some heat records so of course my air conditioner has gone kerplunk.  angry

Not as bad as for the power probs for the Aussies, though.  Blessings to you folks down under.

Post edited by Diomede on

so I cancelled Daz+ and it finished today... got this email

the mind boggles!  cool

mindboggles.jpg
    414 x 147 - 12K

OMG the Master List, it all makes sense now surprise

edited June 2022

for Headwax

dallemini_2022-6-18_21-2-24.png
    768 x 924 - 953K

I did not know competitive bunny jumping was a real thing.

my kids had bunnies growing up and one in particular when they brought it inside would full on attack me when I tapped the floor with my fingers!

vicious little %$%#@$ it was! surprise

edited July 2022

Was it wabbit season?  Haha.

This is an ad, but I do not off it for its ad value.  Just thought people interested in 3D rendering would enjoy the sentiment.

fix it in post.jpg
    608 x 714 - 42K
    Post edited by Diomede on

since they reset the Large Hadron Collider the Big Lamington has ceased to exist

worse New Zealand are are now claiming it as their cake

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,189

WendyLuvsCatz said:

worse New Zealand are are now claiming it as their cake

Yeah, the Kiwis did the same for our America's Cup in sailing.  Of course, they did win the race, but still ... wink

If you get the chance, and especially if you think watching sailing races is "like watching the grass grow", watch the 1992 movie "Wind".  " ... it contains some of the most exciting sailing footage I can imagine ... "  (Roger Ebert)  Having fallen out of a number of sailboats .. in races ... mostly ...  I found it spectacular. 

Wind Screenshot.jpg
    1220 x 872 - 169K

que - men at work

Steve K said:

Yeah, the Kiwis did the same for our America's Cup in sailing.  Of course, they did win the race, but still ... wink

If you get the chance, and especially if you think watching sailing races is "like watching the grass grow", watch the 1992 movie "Wind".  " ... it contains some of the most exciting sailing footage I can imagine ... "  (Roger Ebert) 

Start ~0:50:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

since they reset the Large Hadron Collider the Big Lamington has ceased to exist

"Objective Reality May Not Exist at All, Quantum Physicists Say"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/objective-reality-may-not-exist-at-all-quantum-physicists-say/ar-AAZoyWt?li=BBnb7Kz#comments

Maybe we should shut down that machine, this is getting out of hand.  surprise

since most my Carrara videos are only 30 second clips joined for the most part, I don't run into this issue often,

but 
    Carrara renders file### to 1K then file#### from 1K onwards to presumably 10K but I don't think I ever rendered a 10K frame video cheeky to see if it's file#####

the issue is many programs including Virtualdub and EbSynth only will see up to 999 of an image sequence

and FFS don't batch rename to the same bloody folder using Irfanview like I did and get image001 image0001 ... ˄nth surprise

edited July 2022

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prague_astronomical_clock

I must try making one with DAZ figures in Carrara

yesterday I got a missed phone call from MY OWN NUMBER. surprise

I have been getting a spate of calls from similar ones so it is definitely phishing, I won't answer unknown numbers 

apparently it's robocall software https://www.quora.com/I-just-got-a-call-from-my-own-number-and-picked-it-up-The-person-hang-out-right-after-the-call-started-Why-am-I-getting-calls-from-myself-and-will-I-be-affected

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I won't answer unknown numbers 

That's the policy in our house.  A while back I slipped and answered, I told the guy (South Asian accent) to take me off his list, he said if I bought him a gift card he would.  I hung up, he kept calling every few hours for a couple of days, I answered none.  What a sad way to go through life.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

We used to get lots of spam/scam calls on our landline, now they seem to have tapered off.  We only use landline as a back up for making calls as mobile signal can be dodge inside our building. I'd rather be pestered on that than on my mobile where I never get junk calls thankfully. Might be because I never give it out EVER!!

yes Silene

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 520

I'm officially retired as of last nightsmiley frome work that is.  Hoping to finally have the time to work on the multitute of projects I've started over the past few years.  But I'm also married, so we'll seewink

ProPose said:

I'm officially retired as of last nightsmiley frome work that is.  Hoping to finally have the time to work on the multitute of projects I've started over the past few years.  But I'm also married, so we'll seewink

Congratultions!  I've been in that categroy for years, and happily my wife also has a very time consuming hobby - polymer clay/metalworking jewelry and objects.  So I can get lost in 3D animation to my heart's desire ... laugh

refer a friend! laugh

things getting desperate!

can DAZ find me a friend first? cheeky

Now showing on Netflix:

“Untold The Race of the Century Review: The Greatest Yacht Race Between America and Australia (1983) … The documentary gives the complete perspective of how did the Australian team come up and about in the competition and how much pressure there is on the skipper of the defending team. While we feel happy for the Australia II victory, we also feel empathy for Dennis Conner, skipper of the American team.

You can tell the amount of pressure he must be under when we hear the members of the New York Yacht Club jokingly saying that the skipper’s head would replace the losing cup. The New York Yacht Club were ferocious defenders of America’s Cup. They oozed style, wealth, and this unbeatableness and would do anything to win like, the controversy created surrounding the [winged] keel of the Australian boat.

But the challenging team thought that it was time that they had to do something radical. How they had to mentally train themselves to believe in themselves, that they belong on the world stage. And rightly so, they came out with all guns blazing and showed the world that anything is possible if you put your mind to it.”  (Leisure Byte, 6Sept2022)

My wife & I visited Newport, Rhode Island that summer during the early trials.  One of the Americans competing to be the defending skipper was John Kolius from Houston where we live.  In fact, our long term vet bought Kolius’ house on Galveston Bay, where we attended the retirement party of our vet recently.  While in Newport in ‘83, we talked to Skipper Kolius from the dock while he & his crew were working on the boat, “Courageous”, which had won two previous America’s Cups.  Alas, he did not become the defending skipper, but on the other hand he did not lose the America’s Cup after 132 years of USA winning.

Several pictures I took are attached - the French and UK boats and an American boat which I think is Courageous.

France 3.jpg
    508 x 738 - 88K
    Victory 83 UK.jpg
    740 x 525 - 164K
    USA Courageous.jpg
    509 x 735 - 117K
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited September 2022

Love your photos... and the model on the dock is so cool!

I was exploring around Salzburg Austria at the time of that famous race during a backpack trip around Europe. This is when I was back living in the US. I'd met up with a group of folks, and amongst them was a lovely bloke named Brett, an Aussie. I came from a sailing town in New England and the discussion got quite lively!  We had just had a tall ships festival for the first time in 1981.  Well, a bet was made of who would buy the other dinner at a Vienna restaurant where we all decided to head.  With no internet and the newspapers in the Sound of Music hills not very interested in yacht races, it was very late the next day when a copy of the Wall Street Journal popped up at a newsstand.  OH NO... we lost and Brett won his dinner. That dodgy wing/fin keel!  Wow... then came the cats and all of those mono-hulls that ride so far above the water.

It was a cool time for all things Australian. BeeGees, Olivia Newton-John (RIP). We knew all the words to Men At Work's Down Under, and then there were the Crocodile Dundee movies to come in the next few years. 

Those were the days! Almost 40 years ago!

laughSilene

Post edited by SileneUK on

Many thanks.

" ... a sailing town in New England ... "  Mystic, Conn. by any chance?  That same trip we visited the Seaport Museum there, a great spot.  

At the time we had a small cruising sailboat docked at a large marina near Houston, just off Galveston Bay.  The whole time of the challenge they were flying an Aussie flag.  Not sure if it was just being cordial to the visitors, or a "gesture" toward the (very private and exclusive) New York Yacht Club, (former) keepers of the Cup.  Probably not entirely the latter, since a Houston skipper was on the US team, but maybe a little of both.

Mystic.jpg
    1332 x 677 - 159K

wink

I watched the Netflix show tonight, pretty well done.  They really built up the tension after the Aussies were very nearly out of it down 3-1 in the best of seven series.  And then were trailing pretty badly in the last several legs of the seventh race.  Sounds like American skipper Dennis Conner made a mistake looking for a wind shift on the next to last (downwind) leg and let the Aussies back in.