Carrara Challenge #62 "Clowns and Other Circus Stuff" -

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited June 2022

ed3D - impressive submarine and expressive poses.  always a great combination.

Here is another venture with my silly figures.  Another common vintage circus act is a daredevil who dives in a shallow pool from a great height.  Here, the ringmaster asks a kid from the crowd to measure the depth of the pool while the daredevil climbs to his diving platform.  I call this DareDiver.

Everything created in Carrara.  Some postwork, especially using Filter Forge.  Original and final attached.

Diver 01.png
    1500 x 2000 - 1M
    Diver in Shallow Pool Diomede.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 281K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Thanks for the comment, UB.  I suspect that many of the Filter Forge effects could be achieved with Philemo's GMIC plugin with a great deal of trial and error.  

Example

Here is professor splash.  Do not try this at home!

Link for professor splash - 

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,800

surprise

edited June 2022

Super Dave!  - thanks for the video, Stezza.  Great memories.

Here is another common animal act at vintage circuses.  Fancy riding of horses.  Once again, our ringmaster indicates the next act.  More of my silly figures, all created in Carrara.  Original render and final attached.  Some postwork, including Filter Forge.

Horse Tricks Diomede.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 260K
    Horse Tricks 01a.png
    1500 x 2000 - 2M
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Quite a series that you have going there Diomede.  Great potential for a book illustration.  Seriously.

UnifiedBrain said:

Cirque Du Sauvage

(Circus of the Untamed)

Diomede pointed out that Ringling Bros was restarting their famous circus, but without animals.  This is what happened to the animals. :)

G3F and the Daz Big Cat are the main characters.  Various other Daz critters should be easy to recognize, supplemented by a couple of OBJ's and a Philemo cutout.  Carrara hair is Modacuts.

Plants mostly came from Forest Primevil, and Jungle Hideaway.

Lighting is done with Carrara light cone, lens flare, and custom light gels that I made myself.  A Carrara cloud and GMIC also used.

No postwork, but there was some prework such as face painting G3F.

cracking image yes

love how you placed the various animals and insects in the background wink 

Diomede said:

Here is another common animal act at vintage circuses.  Fancy riding of horses.  Once again, our ringmaster indicates the next act.  More of my silly figures, all created in Carrara.  Original render and final attached.  Some postwork, including Filter Forge.

all coming together nicely ... awesome modelling as usual yes 

edited June 2022

last one from me....

Super Dave

used to watch his show all the time way back when..

Used Genesis... retextured the M4 boiler suit from Poserworld ... retextured the pushbike.. modelled the bus and the ramp.. used Carrara fire and Carrara clouds for the smoke and used a parking lot HDRI for the background from Poly Haven

Super Dave.png
    800 x 600 - 647K
    superDave_WiP.jpg
    1508 x 889 - 652K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited June 2022

I love Super Dave!  That is awesome.

Appreciate the comment, UB

Here is my take on another common circus act, clowns being shot out of a cannon.  So fitting to follow SuperDave, if I am worthy.

By now, you know the drill.  More of my silly figures.  Everything made in Carrara.  Some postwork, including Filter Forge.  Original and final attached.

Clown Cannon 01.png
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    Clown Cannon Diomede.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 303K
  • ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,981

Stezza said:

UnifiedBrain said:

Cirque Du Sauvage

(Circus of the Untamed)

Diomede pointed out that Ringling Bros was restarting their famous circus, but without animals.  This is what happened to the animals. :)

G3F and the Daz Big Cat are the main characters.  Various other Daz critters should be easy to recognize, supplemented by a couple of OBJ's and a Philemo cutout.  Carrara hair is Modacuts.

Lighting is done with Carrara light cone, lens flare, and custom light gels that I made myself.  A Carrara cloud and GMIC also used.

cracking image yes

love how you placed the various animals and insects in the background wink 

+ 1  _  yeah , sure is   heart 

edited June 2022

Yet another vintage circus act, again with animals, is the lion tamer.  Same method.  Everything made with Carrara using y silly figures.  Postwork includes Filter Forge.  The one seldom used Carrara function I could mention was using the regular replicator (not surface replicator) to make the outer ring of lions.  I posed two lion models on their own stool then used the regular replicato choosing 'arc'.  Original and finished atached.  Also attaching the replicator settings to get the ring of lions.  Sort of proud of myself for adjusting to get an open space to put an empty chair for the lion that is jumping through the rng of fire.

posed lions underneath.jpg
    1675 x 941 - 256K
    posed lions underneath replicator settings number in x but only 1 in each of y and z then use grid cell size to get the arch.jpg
    1899 x 1036 - 177K
    Lion Tamer Diomede.jpg
    2000 x 1297 - 254K
    Lion Tamer 04.png
    2000 x 1297 - 2M

WIP - Animation 1 - clown juggling knives

Issue - I want to be able to combine physics and keyframe.  Approach - use target helpers as intermediary.

Part 1 - Using Spheres to Calculate Physics Up and Down

Created a simple loop of my clown juggling knives.  I started by inserting a primitive sphere and applying physics.  I gave the sphere a starting vertical Z axis speed and a slight starting X axis speed.  This created an upward arc and to the side.  I ran the physics simulation.  I examined the path of the sphere and noted the position of the sphere at the peak of the arc.  I returned to the beginning and inserted a second sphere and moved it to the location of the 1st sphere at the top of its arc.  I applied physics to this second sphere, giving it the same X axis speed as the first sphere, but a 0 starting speed in the Z axis.  I ran physics again.  I noted the position of the second sphere when the 1st sphere reaches the top.  Back at the beginning, I inserted a 3rd sphere.  This sphere I keyframed.  I started it at the location of the second sphere after it has fallen, and ended it at the starting location of the 1st sphere.  For this 3rd sphere, I went to the middle frame and put in a keyframe of slight increase in Z axis.  I reduced the total keyframes to just the length of time it takes the 1st sphere to get from its starting position to the top of its arc as calculated by the physics sim.  Loop.  Now when I play the looped sequence it looks like the balls are in a continuous loop with the upward and downward paths of the first two balls matching physics.

Part 2 - Target Helpers

I then inserted 3 target helpers, one at the starting location of each of the 3 spheres. I parented each taget helper to its corresponding sphere. I then selected all three target helpers and moved them away from the spheres so the spheres could not be seen by the camera even when visibility is checked. Running physics, the target helpers follow the path of the spheres without affecting the spheres.

Part 3 - Knives

I then inserted 3 duplicates of a knife and matched them to the starting positions of the spheres.   I parented them to the corresponding target helpers.  The knives move along the arc matching the spheres.  I rotated the top knife 180 degrees.  I advanced to the end frame.  I rotated the 1st and second spheres 180 degrees.  The result is that the knives follow the path of the calculated physics and rotate with the keyframed flip.  

Part 4 - Clown Movements

I inserted the clown and matched the arm and hand movements to juggle.

Part 5 - calculation and loop.

Test loop went well.  First and last frames match.

Problem - ugh - this is on me.  Having trouble with VLC and Hitfilm Express.  Use it or lose it.  blush

aa01 juggling knives.jpg
    1888 x 1028 - 355K
    aa02 juggling sphere physics target helper knife.jpg
    1898 x 993 - 375K
    aa03 knives follow physics but are keyframed to spin.jpg
    1872 x 1012 - 376K
    aa04 close to end.jpg
    1857 x 1019 - 375K
    aa05 end frame match first frame.jpg
    1856 x 994 - 367K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,689

UB - nice Sheena !!!

Diomede - circus series looks great, animation should be awesome !!!

ed3D - white gloves look okay to me & submarine looks cute !!!

Stezza - hope Super Dave is wearing his flame-proof undies !!!

Bunyip02 said:

UB - nice Sheena !!!

Diomede - circus series looks great, animation should be awesome !!!

ed3D - white gloves look okay to me & submarine looks cute !!!

Stezza - hope Super Dave is wearing his flame-proof undies !!!

~  well , thanx very much then   _  heart 

Diomede said:

_   thanx  kindly  ~ 

Test.  Please tell me if you can view the linked short video.  I have had strange problems in the past.

Hmmm.  Unanticipated issue.  My free trial periods have ended for the programs I was going to use.  So, I have signed up for the free trial period of Lightbox.  This is a test to see if I successfully exported and uploaded the video in a way that you can see it.  There is no sound in this one.  Lightbox will be limiting my file size, etc. but given how rough my end results are likely to be I don't think that is a big deal.

Hope this works.

Worked fine.

UnifiedBrain said:

Worked fine.

Thank you.  yes

edited June 2022

Stezza, ed3d, and Bunyip, thanks for the comments on the jungle render!

Stezza, Super Dave looks...super!  Nice textures and poses, and you do outdoor lighting in particular very will.

Ed3d, not sure what you have in mind for the sub and the girl, but looking forward to it.  The white gloves may look odd because there isn't much other white color in the scene.  Therefore, the gloves don't have anything to "match."  If her face has white makup, for example, it will look more like a match.

Diomede, the lion and the flaming hoop render is the same high standard as the earlier parts of the set.  The only one that looks odd to me is the cannon render.  The human cannonball usually goes in feet-first, right? :)  The guy with the loading stick looks like he is about to do something very rude. surprise

The forum is timing out a bunch this morning, unfortunately.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    edited June 2022

Diomede, the lion and the flaming hoop render is the same high standard as the earlier parts of the set.  The only one that looks odd to me is the cannon render.  The human cannonball usually goes in feet-first, right? :)  The guy with the loading stick looks like he is about to do something very rude. surprise

Thanks, UB for comments on the entire series.  Your notes on the cannon are insightful as always.  Here is my intent with the raised butt.  The implication, with ambiguity but without completion, is a deliberate attempt at humor.  Keyword = attempt.  Obviously I missed in your case.  In my defense, clown butts are a traditional target, because the term butt sometimes means each of 'a meaty end' and 'a target of a joke.'  This link is an uninvited discourse on butt. Folks as nerdy as I am may find it entertaining.

https://shakespearenerd.home.blog/2021/04/18/butt/

clown butts.jpg
    463 x 671 - 70K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

UnifiedBrain said:

Cirque Du Sauvage

(Circus of the Untamed)

Hello UB, wow what a piece! Not only the lighting but the poise and pose of the figure. terrifiico!!

Diomede said:

Powerful image, UB.  

Here is one a go with some of my silly figures.  I call this GoldiClown and the 3 Bears.  Rendered in Carrara with some post, especially with Filter Forge.  Original Render attached as well.

Not Silly at all,  they all have their own lives and, I bet, back stories. IAnd if they don't, I'm sure the viewer will add them. Love this style - very storybook.!

ed3D_659128 said:

And then 

_ the white gloves  " dont look "Right" some how  _  ??  not sure 

thanx

You're right, they are a little bit stark  try adding another colour that already appears in the image perhaps?

Diomede said:

Here is another venture with my silly figures.  Another common vintage circus act is a daredevil who dives in a shallow pool from a great height.  Here, the ringmaster asks a kid from the crowd to measure the depth of the pool while the daredevil climbs to his diving platform.  I call this DareDiver.

Everything created in Carrara.  Some postwork, especially using Filter Forge.  Original and final attached.

There's a whole book in these beautiful works Ted, I hope you do something with them.

Diomede said:

ah I see Ub beat me to it on the book illustration comment.

This one reminds me of a superb Seurat The Circus (Seurat) - Wikipedia

Stezza said:

last one from me....

Super Dave

used to watch his show all the time way back when..

Used Genesis... retextured the M4 boiler suit from Poserworld ... retextured the pushbike.. modelled the bus and the ramp.. used Carrara fire and Carrara clouds for the smoke and used a parking lot HDRI for the background from Poly Haven

Suepr Dave, now who does this one remind me of? So there's a drone in there guding those laser bombs on the bad guys?

Diomede said:

Test.  Please tell me if you can view the linked short video.  I have had strange problems in the past.

Hmmm.  Unanticipated issue.  My free trial periods have ended for the programs I was going to use.  So, I have signed up for the free trial period of Lightbox.  This is a test to see if I successfully exported and uploaded the video in a way that you can see it.  There is no sound in this one.  Lightbox will be limiting my file size, etc. but given how rough my end results are likely to be I don't think that is a big deal.

Hope this works.

bit of magick goin on there!!

Diomede said:

WIP - Animation 1 - clown juggling knives

Issue - I want to be able to combine physics and keyframe.  Approach - use target helpers as intermediary.

Part 1 - Using Spheres to Calculate Physics Up and Down

Created a simple loop of my clown juggling knives.  I started by inserting a primitive sphere and applying physics.  I gave the sphere a starting vertical Z axis speed and a slight starting X axis speed.  This created an upward arc and to the side.  I ran the physics simulation.  I examined the path of the sphere and noted the position of the sphere at the peak of the arc.  I returned to the beginning and inserted a second sphere and moved it to the location of the 1st sphere at the top of its arc.  I applied physics to this second sphere, giving it the same X axis speed as the first sphere, but a 0 starting speed in the Z axis.  I ran physics again.  I noted the position of the second sphere when the 1st sphere reaches the top.  Back at the beginning, I inserted a 3rd sphere.  This sphere I keyframed.  I started it at the location of the second sphere after it has fallen, and ended it at the starting location of the 1st sphere.  For this 3rd sphere, I went to the middle frame and put in a keyframe of slight increase in Z axis.  I reduced the total keyframes to just the length of time it takes the 1st sphere to get from its starting position to the top of its arc as calculated by the physics sim.  Loop.  Now when I play the looped sequence it looks like the balls are in a continuous loop with the upward and downward paths of the first two balls matching physics.

Part 2 - Target Helpers

I then inserted 3 target helpers, one at the starting location of each of the 3 spheres. I parented each taget helper to its corresponding sphere. I then selected all three target helpers and moved them away from the spheres so the spheres could not be seen by the camera even when visibility is checked. Running physics, the target helpers follow the path of the spheres without affecting the spheres.

Part 3 - Knives

I then inserted 3 duplicates of a knife and matched them to the starting positions of the spheres.   I parented them to the corresponding target helpers.  The knives move along the arc matching the spheres.  I rotated the top knife 180 degrees.  I advanced to the end frame.  I rotated the 1st and second spheres 180 degrees.  The result is that the knives follow the path of the calculated physics and rotate with the keyframed flip.  

Part 4 - Clown Movements

I inserted the clown and matched the arm and hand movements to juggle.

Part 5 - calculation and loop.

Test loop went well.  First and last frames match.

Problem - ugh - this is on me.  Having trouble with VLC and Hitfilm Express.  Use it or lose it.  blush

thanks for the workflow :)

Now does anyone need more time? I'm happy to extend it past the 15th of course.