Off Topic Thread #2

1567810

Comments

  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 13,179

    Personal minor annoyance.

    The lens for my glasses popped out.  Although I have a spare set of glasses, I had trouble finding them because... the lens for my glasses popped out.  surprise

  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,261

    Diomede said:

    Hoping VYusur is well.  Does anyone know if she has released any new products at other sites?  Her most recent release at Daz was the Siberian cat, I believe.  Crazy world never know what might be disrupting communications.

    Wishing you well, Veronika.  heart

     

    I sent you a PM.

  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 13,179

    UnifiedBrain said:

    Diomede said:

    Hoping VYusur is well.  Does anyone know if she has released any new products at other sites?  Her most recent release at Daz was the Siberian cat, I believe.  Crazy world never know what might be disrupting communications.

    Wishing you well, Veronika.  heart

     

    I sent you a PM.

    Got it, thanks.

  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 33,375

    I am hoping all these world problems will soon be over broken heart

    but there's always something else...

  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 2,854

    Diomede said:

    Personal minor annoyance.

    The lens for my glasses popped out.  Although I have a spare set of glasses, I had trouble finding them because... the lens for my glasses popped out.  surprise

    Something similar happened to me years ago in Quebec City.  I learned that there are people in the world who do not speak English.  But they are friendly and will fix your glasses, after some finger pointing and wife's old college French.  And BTW, Quebec (Montreal, Quebec City) is a wonderful place to visit, way more interesting than most American states/cities.  In the summer, at least - the average high in January is 20 F.

  • SyezzaSyezza Posts: 6,895
    edited May 18

    Diomede said:

    Stezza said:

    yep.... obviously someone who doesn't know what part of the world he/she is in!

    looks like I'll have to model a wacky one laugh

    Don't worry, Americans will correct that ball for you.  wink

    https://www.npr.org/2022/05/12/1098533209/rugby-world-cup-host-usa

    here's a bit of trivia you may not know

    Do you know who the defending Olympic Champions are that will try and defend their title when Rugby comes back to the Olympics? 

    unbelievable I know.... the USA! .... wtf!

    They were the last team to win the Gold at the Olympics back in 1924 and it hasn't been played since! cool

    Post edited by Syezza on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 33,375
    edited May 22

    just an interesting link if you are ever looking for inspiration what to render on any particular day

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minor_secular_observances

    tomorrow it's Turtles all the way down cheeky

    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 13,179
    edited May 28

    Found this on the web.

    godzilla stadium.jpg
    680 x 617 - 117K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 33,375

    blush

  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 5,818

    When you gotta go .....

  • SyezzaSyezza Posts: 6,895
    edited May 30

    got the updated Windows XI and the Edge browser has a nifty new feature..

    imagestuffinEdge.png
    1174 x 700 - 677K
    Post edited by Syezza on
  • SyezzaSyezza Posts: 6,895

    totally useless information

    I enabled stickers on Win11 22H2

    cooldevil

  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 13,179

    What are stickers?

  • SyezzaSyezza Posts: 6,895
    edited June 6

    Diomede said:

    What are stickers?

    just something totally useless the coders at MS have hidden away in the OS.... cool

     

    stickersW11.jpg
    727 x 686 - 86K
    Post edited by Syezza on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 2,854

    So about 2AM nature calls, I pad toward the bathroom and notice flashing lights through the window.  I open the front door and ... (see attached).  The fire had started an hour earlier, and was out.  The house behind the ladder truck was pretty much destroyed, the house to the right was damaged, but will be repaired.  Don't know yet the cause, lots of authorities doing inspections.  Our Fire Dept. did a nice job saving the one house, with help from an adjacent suburb's Dept.  The ladder truck is not for high rise structures, but to get over and behind houses from the street.  Fortunately, I recently trimmed our big oak's low branches in our front yard, a city ordinance requires 14' clearance for emergancy vehicles.  So far no ticket.  Check your alarm batteries.

    First View IMG_1654.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 269K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 33,375

    your house must be pretty airtight to not smell the smoke,

    I smelt the neighbour across the road go up well before I realiesd anything else, thought initially my house was on fire and was stumbling around looking then heard the appliances arrive and opened then quickly shut my window, it was awful and I wheezed for days.

  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 2,854

    WendyLuvsCatz said:

    your house must be pretty airtight to not smell the smoke,

    I smelt the neighbour across the road go up well before I realiesd anything else, thought initially my house was on fire and was stumbling around looking then heard the appliances arrive and opened then quickly shut my window, it was awful and I wheezed for days.

    The prevailing wind is from behind our house, from the South, toward the fire.  A good thing, since the industrial plants are on the north side of town.  We have had days long, serious industrial fires that blew smoke into Houston, but away from our suburb. If that happens during the rare cold front from the northwest, bad news.

    Question, "appliances"?  Those are fire trucks?  

  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 33,375
    edited June 7

    yeah fire trucks we call them fire appliances or sometimes fire engines

    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • SyezzaSyezza Posts: 6,895
    edited June 7

    Steve K said:

    WendyLuvsCatz said:

    your house must be pretty airtight to not smell the smoke,

    I smelt the neighbour across the road go up well before I realiesd anything else, thought initially my house was on fire and was stumbling around looking then heard the appliances arrive and opened then quickly shut my window, it was awful and I wheezed for days.

     

    Question, "appliances"?  Those are fire trucks?  

    that's South Australian language for a fire engine... wink 

    they also call scallops potato cakes devil

    Post edited by Syezza on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 33,375

    Stezza said:

    Steve K said:

    WendyLuvsCatz said:

    your house must be pretty airtight to not smell the smoke,

    I smelt the neighbour across the road go up well before I realiesd anything else, thought initially my house was on fire and was stumbling around looking then heard the appliances arrive and opened then quickly shut my window, it was awful and I wheezed for days.

     

    Question, "appliances"?  Those are fire trucks?  

    that's South Australian language for a fire engine... wink 

    they also call scallops potato cakes devil

    I call those kartoffelpuffers cheeky

  • SyezzaSyezza Posts: 6,895

    just a FYI if you install a fresh windows 11 22H2 

    You may find Carrara takes a long time to start up and then a long time to get into the modelling room to do wacky stuff..

    this is because MS installs a new feature in Windows Security which checks with a list at MS to see if it's an OK program...

    took me a while to find it and turn it off... once turned off it can't be turned on again unless you reinstall a fresh windows.

    But after turning it off Carrara went back to normal loading time and all is sweet again.. wink  cool

  • ProPoseProPose Posts: 452

    I was genuinely happy to be told by Windows Update that my computer is not compatible with Win 11.  Great!! I thought, maybe now I'll stop getting reminders that "updates are available" and then to be told that my machine is not worthy, and that I should do a PC Health check.  To heck with that, I yelled at my screen.  There's nothing wrong with my machine, and I don't care if I can't run Windows 11.  I've been putting up with these nags for the past few months, and just today I get a new nag, My machine is ready for Windows 11, and that I could download and install it now, cause it's FREE.  So what happened?  Did the MS Gremlins update my machine or did they downgrade thier minimum requirements.  I suspect the latter.  Thanks for that tip Stezza,  just in case I do decide to upgrade.

  • mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,648

    ProPose said:

    I was genuinely happy to be told by Windows Update that my computer is not compatible with Win 11.  Great!! I thought, maybe now I'll stop getting reminders that "updates are available" and then to be told that my machine is not worthy, and that I should do a PC Health check.  To heck with that, I yelled at my screen.  There's nothing wrong with my machine, and I don't care if I can't run Windows 11.  I've been putting up with these nags for the past few months, and just today I get a new nag, My machine is ready for Windows 11, and that I could download and install it now, cause it's FREE.  So what happened?  Did the MS Gremlins update my machine or did they downgrade thier minimum requirements.  I suspect the latter.  Thanks for that tip Stezza,  just in case I do decide to upgrade.

    i believe this presents an uncanny parallel to the nearby "creepy AI" discussion, heh.

    (i'm with you, ProPose...)

    --ms

  • ProPoseProPose Posts: 452

    I'm really not a fan of this type of marketing, now when I just started my computer I'm greeted with a big splash screen for the Windows 11 upgrade, now I have to press a bunch of buttons to get rit of that advertising in order to get to my normal desktop.

  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,543

    Diomede said:

    Personal minor annoyance.

    The lens for my glasses popped out.  Although I have a spare set of glasses, I had trouble finding them because... the lens for my glasses popped out.  surprise

     

    best thing to do is turn off the lights and use a torch - you'll pick up the reflections of the lens - well it works for contacts :)

  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,543

    oh not a blow torch

  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 33,375
    edited June 9

    they call it a flashlight in murica cheeky

    I had some weird reactions refering to it as a torch in conversations online wink

    the poms say torch too though

    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,648
    edited June 9

    is this recommendation to use a blow torch for the windows 11 problem?

    --ms

    Post edited by mindsong on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 33,375

    Headwax, Bunyip and Stezza better have batteries for their torches as the East coast is running out of electricity surprise

    my news feed suggested blackouts likely tonight

    load sharing  though, not statewide like South Australia a few years ago!

  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 5,818

    WendyLuvsCatz said:

    Headwax, Bunyip and Stezza better have batteries for their torches as the East coast is running out of electricity surprise

    my news feed suggested blackouts likely tonight

    load sharing  though, not statewide like South Australia a few years ago!

    Thanks for the heads up Wendy - will get the matches and candles out just in case, tea's almost cooked so that's out of the way !!!

Sign In or Register to comment.