DAZ Studio Pro 4.7.0.12, General Release, Now Available!

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,737
    edited December 1969

What happens if you don't have the cone parented? have you reported these issues? (Though I think the smoothing iterations may already have been reported, and possibly fixed.)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited January 2015

...I used the "parent cone to light" selection from the content tab so I wouldn't have to manually move and position it as the rendering camera I am using is far from the 0,0,0 coordinate where content loads at (and for some reason "copy/paste" does not work). In any event, the parameters I have supposedly "saved" should remain so when I reload the scene file for a new session.

...otherwise what is the point of saving if not everything is saved?

I don't have this type of issue occur in any other software (would be deadly in a spreadsheet if some of the data saved kept reverting to a different cell every time the file was reopened).

If it were not for AoA's effects cameras being borked by the update, I wouldn't even be dealing with this.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

If it were not for AoA's effects cameras being borked by the update, I wouldn't even be dealing with this.

KK, if you are not averse to a little text editing, making a preset to use AoA's EasyVolume on a cube works well in 4.7 (I just tested):

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/21611/P690/#682103

You can do the same to Shader Mixer cameras by simply setting the volume to "interior" in the Shader Mixer and then saving a new preset to be applied to cubes. You can also use Shader Builder RI_Fog on a cube (for aerial perspective).

PS: For the sake of community enlightenment... The shading language does not change between 3Delight versions that much so as to break backward compatibility. Shaders may stop working if they have not been recompiled for a new version, but there has been no version change, only a newer build bundled. If something stops working, it is generally connected with something intrinsic to DS, not with 3Delight.

I don't use AoA's lights much so I don't even know if the flagging is broken now, but what may have broken the flagging could have been renaming of internal variables of popular shaders (like, "DiffuseStrength" renamed to "Diffuse_Strength").

edited January 2015

... I know jack about scripting. I paid for these tools out of a very limited income on good faith they would work. The new update broke them yet nothing is being done on Daz's side to remedy the situation.

We should not have to put out effort (especially those of us without the expertise required) for people (e.g. Daz Development) who's job is to troubleshoot issues like this.

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ... I know jack about scripting. I paid for these tools out of a very limited income on good faith they would work. The new update broke them yet nothing is being done on Daz's side to remedy the situation.

We should not have to put out effort (especially those of us without the expertise required) for people (e.g. Daz Development) who's job is to troubleshoot issues like this.

+1

normally AoA is very good at supporting his products
    some words from him or Mr and Mrs Daz would be helpfull

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029
    edited December 1969

I would say that's not DAZ3D's responsibility, but rather Age of Armour. There's very little DAZ3D can do since they don't have the source code for the lights or cameras.

• edited December 1969

chorse said:
    ruphuss said:
    how to stop a movie render ?

You can't through the DS program. The only way that I know to cancel animation render is to kill the DS application trough the OS task manger - of course you will lose all the work that was not save.

This is a major oversight in the Daz Studio. You can make a feature suggestion to customer support and keep bringing it up on forums from time to time and perhaps someone might eventually act on it.

To stop a Movie render, press Cancel.
    Then it will ask for AVI name/location.
    If you don't want to save an AVI of the render so far, Cancel again.
    Failing that, press Escape

edited January 2015

wowie said:
    I would say that's not DAZ3D's responsibility, but rather Age of Armour. There's very little DAZ3D can do since they don't have the source code for the lights or cameras.

...if the SDK wasn't changed, issues like this should not occur. This is what makes some plugin/content creators leery of the "ongoing beta" approach, as they constantly have to keep revising their products more frequently than when a fully beta tested commercial release ("x.0") is issued like other software developers do.

I feel AoA's been pretty accommodating, as whenever there was a revision that made improvements or added features to either the cameras' or Advanced Lights, he offered it free to customers who already had them.

edited December 1969

The SDK hasn't changed in a plug-in braking way (old plug-ins, 4.5+, work in 4.7 - it's new versions of plug-ins that don't work in older versions of DS). However, the AoA lights and cameras are shaders and not plug-ins so they are not dependent on the SDK anyway but on the 3Delight version.

edited December 1969

...I'll agree to that explanation, since "lighting" in 3DL is all shader based. I have mentioned this as a possible concern before regarding the AoA Advanced Lights

However, in that case why then wasn't UE (and light sets that use it) as well as DOF and the Camera Magic Toony Cam Pro not affected by the update as those are all shader based as well?

edited December 1969

The problem, as I understand it, is that some of the volume effects aren't working correctly - since those shaders don't use volume they wouldn't be affected.

edited December 1969

...not just the EZ volume Camera, but the Colour Camera, Vignette, and Graphic Art Cameras as well.

edited December 1969

jonuel said:
    chorse said:
    ruphuss said:
    how to stop a movie render ?

You can't through the DS program. The only way that I know to cancel animation render is to kill the DS application trough the OS task manger - of course you will lose all the work that was not save.

This is a major oversight in the Daz Studio. You can make a feature suggestion to customer support and keep bringing it up on forums from time to time and perhaps someone might eventually act on it.

To stop a Movie render, press Cancel.
    Then it will ask for AVI name/location.
    If you don't want to save an AVI of the render so far, Cancel again.
    Failing that, press Escape

sorry I wasn't clear enough
    the problem is with open gl rendering not stoppable
    btw
    is there a chance having an alpha channel with open gl ?
    the quick render tool also does not work with open gl

• a-sennova-sennov Posts: 331
    edited December 1969

To stop OpenGL animation render just hit Esc (PC/Win64).

edited December 1969

a-sennov said:
    To stop OpenGL animation render just hit Esc (PC/Win64).

ha so easy
    thank you anatoly

edited December 1969

...OK this may sound rather silly, but how does one insert a photo backdrop? This used to be in the Edit tab but I no longer can find it.

• WhiteFoxWhiteFox Posts: 92
    edited January 2015

Windows>Panes(tabs)>Environment

Post edited by WhiteFox on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

More explanations about the new pane
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/17/P30/#718267

edited January 2015

Windows>Panes(tabs)>Environment

...thanks
  • Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited January 2015

Kyoto Kid said:

KK, I am very sorry for trying to help you. I thought you were not here only to vent but to get a working solution. You don't have to have the expertise or know anything about scripting because I wrote a step-by-step how-to. If there is something wrong with my English, I will be happy to rephrase whatever you want to make it clearer for you.

I hope you have filed a bug report. Otherwise the devs might overlook this issue.

The problem, as I understand it, is that some of the volume effects aren't working correctly - since those shaders don't use volume they wouldn't be affected.

Richard, I attest the volume code per se works fine - at least, when applied to a primitive.

If those shader mixer cameras stopped working that don't use "real" volume calculations (like all those vignette, fog etc cams - these are completely different beasts) - the issue is almost certain to be those DS classes that handle cameras. There's at least two of them, maybe three. Oh how I hate them, they're so complicated =D

Each camera can have those unique render size settings of their own now - it is new to 4.7; it means the camera classes were altered. Something else might have been unadvertedly changed along the way.

I am sorry but I have to repeat this so that people reading this thread don't get a warped impression: backwards compatibility works well in 3Delight. I have successfully compiled and used RSL shaders that may well be fifteen years old.

PS I tested AoA's Advanced Distant light with the DS Default shader, and flagging (via diffuse strength, at least) works fine, for me. I only have this and Advanced Ambient. I haven't had time to test flagging UberSurface or pwSurface2.

Post edited by Mustakettu85 on
    edited December 1969

...there have been technical support tickets on the Camera issues already submitted by several people.

Personally I felt the old Manits site was a lot more efficient than the current one in place as you could add notes to an existing ticket that someone else submitted rather than having to write up a completely new (and mostly redundant) one.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...there have been technical support tickets on the Camera issues already submitted by several people.

Personally I felt the old Manits site was a lot more efficient than the current one in place as you could add notes to an existing ticket that someone else submitted rather than having to write up a completely new (and mostly redundant) one.

agreed!

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Correction: DForms DO work!!!
    *happy dance*

Workflow:
    Load Dress (Prop, Primitive, whatever)
    Create New Dform
    Open Dress and see that the DForms now parent under HIP
    Move your DForm Field and watch the red and yellow dots *grin*
    Select D-Former_1 (parented to D-Former_1_Base)
    Move D-Former (and watch the dress morph)
    Select the DRESS (not hip) in your scene tab
    Window / Panes / DForm
    Check Create Root Parameter
    Check Delete Applied Dformers
    Click Spawn Morph...
    Give it a unique name
    OK
    Yes to all
    With the DRESS still selected you see your new entry Morph in the Parameters tab

Hooooray!

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Correction: DForms DO work!!!
    *happy dance*

Workflow:
    Load Dress (Prop, Primitive, whatever)
    Create New Dform
    Open Dress and see that the DForms now parent under HIP
    Move your DForm Field and watch the red and yellow dots *grin*
    Select D-Former_1 (parented to D-Former_1_Base)
    Move D-Former (and watch the dress morph)
    Select the DRESS (not hip) in your scene tab
    Window / Panes / DForm
    Check Create Root Parameter
    Check Delete Applied Dformers
    Click Spawn Morph...
    Give it a unique name
    OK
    Yes to all
    With the DRESS still selected you see your new entry Morph in the Parameters tab

Hooooray!

Note you can also weight paint the effects of the DForm instead of looking for the red and yellow dots. :)
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited January 2015

That's exactly how I did it the other day and it definately didn't work Kerya. I haven't done anything to DS4.7 but they now work!

Post edited by Wilmap on
  • BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,201
    edited December 1969

Recently updated to 4.7 and so far, surprisingly - I hope I don't tempt fate saying this - things are working alright. I like it, overall.

Except one thing: I hate that the keyboard moves around the camera in the viewport. Whenever I want to use the keyboard to jump to a certain character or environment or whatever in the content library, I mess up my camera in the viewport instead.

I understand how this could be potentially useful, but I'd really like to turn it off - is that possible?

edited January 2015

Shift-k will turn keyboard navigation off and on, or there's a toolbar button.

WASD_toggle.JPG
    603 x 179 - 19K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

Rendering in 3Delight for the first time in ages and when I wanted to increase my render size to 200% I noticed there was no way to do this other than recalculate the size in my head and add it. When I use Reality there is a slider for output size percent which makes this very easy when I send to LuxRender.
    Is there similar feature in the render pane for 3Delight that I'm missing or is this the way it always and still works?

• BTLProdBTLProd Posts: 114
    edited December 1969

Rendering in 3Delight for the first time in ages and when I wanted to increase my render size to 200% I noticed there was no way to do this other than recalculate the size in my head and add it. When I use Reality there is a slider for output size percent which makes this very easy when I send to LuxRender.
    Is there similar feature in the render pane for 3Delight that I'm missing or is this the way it always and still works?

If your aspect ratio is locked, which it is by default, then it is a question of changing one number.

What is your starting render size?

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,178
    edited December 1969

Click the dimension field that you want to change, place your cursor at the end of the value, type "*2" and press enter. All numeric properties in DAZ Studio are evaluated as a script when manually edited, so you can do all kinds of stuff... including simple math. You actually have access to the entire scripting API.

-Rob