Carrara Challenge #62 "Clowns and Other Circus Stuff" -

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited April 2022

that is awesome use of the plugin and M3 ...yes

who needs G8.1 anyways when you can do that wink

speaking of G8,1 ... I used Mysty's Carrara fix for this one... where R U Mysty? crying
    Harpert at it again! and all the conversions of weight painting for the ape clothing done in DS plugin cool
    Postwork was done in PSE2022

Ape Balled Again in Carrara

apeballedWiP.png
    1126 x 772 - 810K
    Ape Balled Again mod.png
    875 x 619 - 697K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,022
    edited April 2022

Thanks for the nice comments, Bunyip, HW, and UB.

The Carrara challenge updates just continue to blow me away.  For example...

UB, that M3 clown is spectacular.  Could be featured in one of those Great Depression era portraits (if color).  Wow.

Stezza, the Death comes to dinner Table and the Ape Balled pool table are amazing.  

This is already a very fruitful theme.  Praise unto HW for the creative idea, and praise unto Carrarians for creative execution.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited April 2022

Stezza, neat textures and pose on the ape!  The pun was just awful. :)

Thanks Stezza and Diomede, for comments on the old clown. The M3 morph was done with the help of Brom, a morph product no longer available.  I'm glad that i spent my early years with Carrara collecting the old stuff first.

I just had a first play with the clownfish in a product called Ocean Wonders.  The clownfish is most famous for the Finding Nemo movie (which I have never seen).

This is a WIP, not an entry.  More characters to add.

Ocean Wonders is an interesting product.  There is only one fish, but it has several morphs and textures.  There are also some nice sea props.

The product loads fine into Carrara, but like many newer products, it tends to be laggy.  I tried the Edit-Unused Masters et all, but it still lags.  However, it now loads faster.

It also has normal maps, which I love.  Unlike some normals which in Carrara have to be slammed at a bump amplitude of 250 or 500, these are already pretty strong at 40.

Clownfish.png
    2700 x 1800 - 5M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,523

Stezza - love the Draughts Champ !!!

UB - nice skintone on the After the Big Show, interested in where your Clownfish takes you !!!

edited April 2022

HarlieKins

WIP

Render

CC62 HarlieKins 1 WIP.png
    2271 x 1042 - 713K
    CC62 HarlieKins 1b.png
    1600 x 1200 - 4M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

UB - thanks for the info on Ocean Wonders.  Looks like the plants would go well with Dart's underwater realms.  

Bunyip - Classic!  Great to see the Harlequin traditional without the comic book movie mallet - although I like the mallet character also.

edited April 2022

Here is another step on the journey, far from a final image.  I am adapting a saber tooth tiger that I modeled for a previous challenge.  I created morphs to reduce the teeth and make more generic big cat.  This update is about the attempt to create a mane.  In this attempt, I created two hair holders, one for the face and one for the shoulders, so I could have more control of differences in hair length, etc.  After growing Carrara hair on the holders, I attached them to the same skeleton as the animal model.  Assembly room screenshot attached to show hierarchy.

Suggestions welcome.  For example, do you think I would be better off growing the hair directly on the animal model?

A standard scene used to be a performer sticking head in lion's jaws.  For the final scene, I'm not sure if I will do something like this clown, or have a lion jump through a ring of fire.  

zz01 lion two sets of hair for the main face and shoulders.jpg
    1602 x 972 - 328K
    zz02 wip lion mouth.jpg
    800 x 600 - 42K
    edited May 2022

One more step here. The circus needs a high wire act, to be sure.  Here is another 3 fingered gal to go with the 3 fingered guys.  Slightly oversized head, big eyes - you know the drill.  The leotard is painted on with 3D paint with a vertex object fringe skirt.  I painted the leotard as a simple opacity map so I could use it in the blender slot of a muiltichannel mixer shader.  The hair cap was extracted from the base mesh so it fits the head.  Carrara hair grown on cap.  Figure is boned for crude posing but not weightmapped yet.

zz05 high wire.jpg
    800 x 600 - 22K
    zz04 hair cap for trapeze female.jpg
    1288 x 734 - 99K
    zz03 trapeze female opacity paint.jpg
    1846 x 1011 - 219K

Diomede said:

Here is another step on the journey, far from a final image.  I am adapting a saber tooth tiger that I modeled for a previous challenge.  I created morphs to reduce the teeth and make more generic big cat.  This update is about the attempt to create a mane.  In this attempt, I created two hair holders, one for the face and one for the shoulders, so I could have more control of differences in hair length, etc.  After growing Carrara hair on the holders, I attached them to the same skeleton as the animal model.  Assembly room screenshot attached to show hierarchy.

Suggestions welcome.  For example, do you think I would be better off growing the hair directly on the animal model?

A standard scene used to be a performer sticking head in lion's jaws.  For the final scene, I'm not sure if I will do something like this clown, or have a lion jump through a ring of fire.  

Lion - " Yum, needs more Garlic ! "

Diomede said:

One more step here. The circus needs a high wire act, to be sure.  Here is another 3 fingered gal to go with the 3 fingered guys.  Slightly oversized head, big eyes - you know the drill.  The leotard is painted on with 3D paint with a vertex object fringe skirt.  I painted the leotard as a simple opacity map so I could use it in the blender slot of a muiltichannel mixer shader.  The hair cap was extracted from the base mesh so it fits the head.  Carrara hair grown on cap.  Figure is boned for crude posing but not weightmapped yet.

Looking great - admire your Carrara modelling skills !!!

edited May 2022

Jester juggling his balls

WIP

Render

CC62 Jester 1 WIP.png
    2271 x 1031 - 488K
    CC62 Jester 1.png
    1600 x 1200 - 3M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

Thanks for the comment, Bunyip.

Juggling jester is great jovial jocularity!  Loving it.

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,949

~   y'all   looking good  ~

_  been working on this '"Qube Challeng"   amd  some for this <

thanx

Diomede said:

UB - thanks for the info on Ocean Wonders.  Looks like the plants would go well with Dart's underwater realms.  

That was actually my original idea.  I bought Underwater Realms early in my Carrara years, but was never able to work it properly.  My computer might have been too slow.  At any rate, the render I did turned out to be more intimate, so I didn't need the massive scene.  Someday I will pull it out again and likely have better luck.

An impressive set of circus performers you have going there. yes

edited May 2022

Bunyip02 said:

WIP

Render

Very crisp.  I have a jester render on the way as well. (I'm trying to avoid jester balls jokes) :)

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited May 2022

Diomede said:

Appreciate the comment, Headwax.  Yes, I am going to try to do an animation with my own figures.  We shall see.

Bunyip - Great idea for the clownfish. I would never have thought of it, either.  Like how you have the hair floating.

a good news an animation at last :) 

in the old days when I used to model my own figures I would steal m4's (QUESTION MARK)  (sorry my keyboard is zilched - I cant write capital  or a question mark!)  bones and use Carnegie mocaps, translate them through true space (cant r ecall why)

and then use them with the own modelled figure that had m4 bones (for animation)

kind of worked okay

EDit maybe that's not right, perhhaps I translated them into fbx with truespace and then used the imported skeleton to rig my character with.....(question mark)

Carnegie Mellon University - CMU Graphics Lab - motion capture library

EDIT that secopnd clown looks wonderful, you have some enviable modelling skills 

Carnegie Mellon University - CMU Graphics Lab - motion capture library  - some pantomimes :)

Post edited by Headwax on

UnifiedBrain said:

Headwax said:

Ode to Z

Wow, that is a long table! :)  Cool render, and creative clowns.  Those colors really shock the eye.

Stezza said:

I think most people are the only ones who post anything these days .... cool

which brings me to my next image laugh

the Draughts Champ

modelled all the props in the scene apart from the figures.

You can download the room and table & chairs to see the modelling and how I put it together even the simple lighting setup,.. you can even experiment with it. I didn't include the draught set as I think that's available in the Wacky Modelling thread.

for the figures I used Harpet from Renderosity and M4 and Dead from I can't remember angel

ha ha I love it when I laugh out loud, beaut work , love the attitude of the clown and implied Death.

I can see a few tremours there

UnifiedBrain said:

Harpert looking good!  Wish the render was bigger, as it looks like you portrayed a particular character pretty accurately.

Had to look up "draughts." :)

Below is a portrait somewhat inspired by Harpert, followed by how it looked before applying the GMIC filters.

After the Big Show

I used M3, the M3 Morphing Hat, and GMIC plugin for Carrara (thank you Philemo).  Painted some textures with PSE beforehand.  No postwork.

How the render looked before applying GMIC

wow that's a briliant portrait, love once again the gaze and the pose and the camera angle and that highlight that zings - really very nice

Stezza said:

that is awesome use of the plugin and M3 ...yes

who needs G8.1 anyways when you can do that wink

speaking of G8,1 ... I used Mysty's Carrara fix for this one... where R U Mysty? crying
    Harpert at it again! and all the conversions of weight painting for the ape clothing done in DS plugin cool
    Postwork was done in PSE2022

Ape Balled Again in Carrara

very dynamic stezza, very funny too - thanks for the explication of the daz plugin use !

Bunyip02 said:

HarlieKins

WIP

Render

nice pose bunyip02, how it leads the eye through the composition up towards the head

Bunyip02 said:

WIP

Render

I think I like this one even better , the colour saturation and the limted tonal range tie it all together - as does the title hahah

Diomede said:

ah this one tand the lion almsot eating the clown capture the theme nicely -

I've been looking at simle automatons - these figures three d printed and rigged up with mecahnicals would be superb

UnifiedBrain said:

Stezza, neat textures and pose on the ape!  The pun was just awful. :)

Thanks Stezza and Diomede, for comments on the old clown. The M3 morph was done with the help of Brom, a morph product no longer available.  I'm glad that i spent my early years with Carrara collecting the old stuff first.

I just had a first play with the clownfish in a product called Ocean Wonders.  The clownfish is most famous for the Finding Nemo movie (which I have never seen).

This is a WIP, not an entry.  More characters to add.

Ocean Wonders is an interesting product.  There is only one fish, but it has several morphs and textures.  There are also some nice sea props.

The product loads fine into Carrara, but like many newer products, it tends to be laggy.  I tried the Edit-Unused Masters et all, but it still lags.  However, it now loads faster.

It also has normal maps, which I love.  Unlike some normals which in Carrara have to be slammed at a bump amplitude of 250 or 500, these are already pretty strong at 40.

that's a piece of art. The normals seem to be making a huge difference.

edited May 2022

"Z Troop"

If you remember the comedy "F-Troop" (question mark).

Well these clowns aren it.

This originally had a thought bubble coming out of the background character's head which read "

Какого хрена мы здесь делаем (question mark)

(Capitalb)ut I took it out because I didn;t want to make the image political.

It's a pita not being able to type Capitalb or question mark.

Ps couldnt figure out what year it was

childandbearforcarrara.jpg
    3000 x 2363 - 5M
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited May 2022

can you copy paste an ? at least from elswhere?

or use character map 

txt
    txt
    capitals for Headwax.txt
    53B
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

WendyLuvsCatz said:

or use character map 

hey thanks yes I thought of copy and paste but was having so much fun typing quetsion mark and capital b :) But I have dosicovered the onscreen keyboard and now I can type BBB all day .... !3/? and even a ? :) or two

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

Headwax said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

or use character map 

hey thanks yes I thought of copy and paste but was having so much fun typing quetsion mark and capital b :) But I have dosicovered the onscreen keyboard and now I can type BBB all day .... !3/? and even a ? :) or two

oh silly me, I use that with my wireless mouse watching Youtube videos on my TV  all the time 

edited May 2022

Welcome to the party, ed3D.  I missed the cube challenge.  Looks like it would have been fun.

Thanks for the comments, UB and Headwax.

Here is another circus asset.  Every circus needs some trick horse riders.  I took a horse I modeled for a previous challenge and modeled some circus gear.  New Bridle, blanket, saddle, reins, head plume.  The colorful head plume is made with Carrara hair.  I am still deciding whether to go back and use Carrara dynamic hair for the horse mane and tail.  I had converted the old hair to OBj using Philemo's plugin for the previous challenge.  If I use Carrara hair for the toon human models, it might make sense to use Carrara dynamic hair for the horse mane/tail as well.

zz06 horse model.jpg
    1421 x 960 - 244K
    zz06 horse test render.jpg
    800 x 600 - 27K

Headwax said:

"Z Troop"

If you remember the comedy "F-Troop" (question mark).

Well these clowns aren it.

This originally had a thought bubble coming out of the background character's head which read "

Какого хрена мы здесь делаем (question mark)

(Capitalb)ut I took it out because I didn;t want to make the image political.

It's a pita not being able to type Capitalb or question mark.

Ps couldnt figure out what year it was

Great clown face, composition and sentiment.  And great non-caption. :)  It is also an effective use of the surface replicator, although some guns appear to be poking through some hands.

Really enjoying this Challenge, thanks for suggesting it. yes