Carrara Challenge #62 "Clowns and Other Circus Stuff" -

HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
edited June 2022 in Carrara Discussion

Carrara Challenge #62 "Clowns and Other Circus Stuff" - animations included WIP Thread

END DATE 15TH JUNE 22 - 12.00 am daz utah time - BUT OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS :)

Entry thread here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/571021/carrara-challenge-62-clowns-and-other-circus-stuff-entry-thread#latest

The brief:

To make an image or animation (or both) containing a Clown or other Circus like stuff.

Any circus stuff is acceptable.

Carrara, or her render programs, to be the main software used.

Post work accepted (please post the non postworked image in the WIP thread.)

Please post at least one wip per image in the wip thread.

Prizes

Once again Daz is kindly sponsoring this challenge.

The prize vouchers ($50, $50, $50, $45) are for 1) total participation 2) best render 3) , best animation and 4) the runner up for best participation.

As usual, one artist can only win one prize.

Entries

Up-to 6 images per artist and three animations per artist.

Animations

Animations are included in this challenge.

This is an experiment. I know there are some terrific animators amongst us.

To make it viable, let’s aim for at least three separate artists entering an animation.

Animations should (preferably) be less than three minutes long including credits.

But that’s flexible – the artist is always right.

Clowns and Other Circus Stuff

Clown:

According to Wiki A clown is a person who wears a unique makeup-face and flamboyant costume, performing comedy

in a state of open-mindedness (by reversing folkway-norms) all while using physical comedy.

Well that of course is a narrow minded definition.

Where I live, clowns come in all disguises, shapes and sizes.

Lots of them, known as comedians, poke fun at hypocritical, self important, bureaucracy.

Here's the great Charlie Chaplin:

And of course, Isaac Asimov, in his  Guide to Shakespeare  stated 'that...  the great secret of the successful fool (clown) – that he is no fool at all."

History

We’ve had clowns for a long time - think Shakespeare’s fools, think medieval jesters, jokers, harlequins and pranksters.

Think Loki in Viking legends. Think me.

We’ve all seen The Class Clown, we’ve all clowned about, and acted like a clown.

We’ve all seen Robin Williams go into a frenzy.

Then there’s slapstick.

Freudian archetypes

That said, serious students of English literature and Freudian archetypes, know that a clown’s  job has always been,

not only to be a foil to the drama of a story, but to also make fun of the supposed hero of the narrative.

Of course clowns often have a dark side – a prime example is The Joker in Batman.

He is all the more scary because he has a big smile and a fixed facial expression which is just the opposite of his true character.

The Clown’s dark side is serious and I hope we can do it justice.

Food for thought:

Books with Clowns – the Scariest one I can think of is Stephen Kings ‘It.”

As far as circuses, there’s also RAY Bradbury’s “Something Wicked This Way Comes”.

Songs/Videos with clown Titles

The Tears of a Clown

Send in The Clowns

"Clown Shark Song"

Killer Klowns (from Outer Space)

Clown Psychology The History and Psychology of Clowns Being Scary | Arts & Culture| Smithsonian Magazine

Daz Products

If you look in Daz’ product list you’ll find a plethora of both clown and circus items.

Notes

DATES:  END DATE 15TH JUNE - BUT OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS :)

Winners to be announced.

Post edited by Headwax on

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

I am tanned, rested, and ready for some Carrara time.  Well, maybe not tanned, but ready for some rendering.  Here is another link for general inspiration.

RE: Animations - remember my crystal ball animation?  That was my most recent attempt at animaiton in Carrara.  Having the crystal ball go from opaque to a landscape scene got my channel suspended for spam and solicitation.  But I will try at least one more time.  yes

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited April 2022

Where Are The Clowns?

A dramatic actress who has lived her life from affair to affair, reflects on the cruel irony of now being rejected by a man who, years earlier, had asked her to marry him.  "Clowns" is a theatrical reference to the comic act you send in when the show isn't going well.

The first stanza of 'Send In The Clowns" by Stephen Sondheim is below.  Many artists have recorded the song.

Isn't it rich?
    Are we a pair?
    Me here at last on the ground,
    You in mid-air..
    Where are the clowns?

The actress is Genesis 3.  The hat and cigar are from the old Cuore de Moda outfit for V4.  Several GMIC filters were used to get the NPR effect, including basic color adjustments, and small amounts of Poster Edges and Artistic Painting.  The smoke was a random smoke png I found on the internet, and was inserted into the scene via a plane.

No postwork.

Where Are The Clowns.png
    1800 x 1200 - 2M
    Where Are The Clowns Carrara Setup.JPG
    1586 x 1041 - 229K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

Glad to see you back, Diomede!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited April 2022

Diomede said:

RE: Animations - remember my crystal ball animation?  That was my most recent attempt at animaiton in Carrara.  Having the crystal ball go from opaque to a landscape scene got my channel suspended for spam and solicitation.  But I will try at least one more time.  yes

great news on the tan a, I'd forgotten about 'clowns to theleft of me, clowns to the right, here I am"

and welcome back!

I'm back from a six week surf trip living in a caravan and walking 20 kilometres a day - I am finding it hard to fit into my 'real' life again.

Sorry to here about the  suspension - another example of trigger finger bureaucratic  stupidity

Call in the clowns!

Looking forward to your next animation :)

edited April 2022

UnifiedBrain said:

Where Are The Clowns?

A dramatic actress who has lived her life from affair to affair, reflects on the cruel irony of now being rejected by a man who, years earlier, had asked her to marry him.  "Clowns" is a theatrical reference to the comic act you send in when the show isn't going well.

The first stanza of 'Send In The Clowns" by Stephen Sondheim is below.  Many artists have recorded the song.

Isn't it rich?
    Are we a pair?
    Me here at last on the ground,
    You in mid-air..
    Where are the clowns?

The actress is Genesis 3.  The hat and cigar are from the old Cuore de Moda outfit for V4.  Several GMIC filters were used to get the NPR effect, including basic color adjustments, and small amounts of Poster Edges and Artistic Painting.  The smoke was a random smoke png I found on the internet, and was inserted into the scene via a plane.

No postwork.aze 

that's Tom Terrific - the long distance gaze works superbly. 

The painterly effect is just that - perfect painterly.

And a nicecrop.

You are becoming the master of these portraits.

edited April 2022

I forgot to mention The Flying Circus and Circus Maximus

Appreciate the kind words, UB and HW.

Wow, UB, that is a fantastic portrait.  The smoke, the embers, the eye glint - all terrific.  What a way to start is off!

One more video of general inspiration.  Here is an old clip of the self-described 'Clown Princes of Basketball.'  Loved them as a kid and happy to say the Harlem Globetrotters continue performing with humor and skill.  This video is from the old days.

https://youtu.be/_IJdCGopdgY

Thanks HW and Diomede, for the good words.  I do enjoy attempting intimate portraits.  Closeup humans are such a challenge.  In some ways it is easier to do a more distant (and impressive) big production scene.

I am far from a master.  Much learning ahead.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,657

Diomede said:

I am tanned, rested, and ready for some Carrara time.  Well, maybe not tanned, but ready for some rendering.  Here is another link for general inspiration.

Woohoo, Diomedes back, we missed you !!!

UnifiedBrain said:

Thanks HW and Diomede, for the good words.  I do enjoy attempting intimate portraits.  Closeup humans are such a challenge.  In some ways it is easier to do a more distant (and impressive) big production scene.

I am far from a master.  Much learning ahead.

Nice start UB !!!

edited April 2022

Thinking caps on .....

CC62 Bobo the Clown 1 WIP.png
    2285 x 1036 - 440K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795

all the titles have been taken already... waow, quick as!

great image @UnifiedBrain as usual .... I was going to use that title for mine... I still might as it's the clown thing to do..

good to see you back @diomede

edited April 2022

Used Harpet the clown and G2 with a retextured suit.

Used Carrara's duplicator to duplicate Harpet all over the place using random settings and also used Carrara's hair tool
    Carrara 8.5 Pro version

the toon house is a freebie from ShareCG

I modelled the paper bag.

Send in the Clowns

Send in the Clowns.png
    900 x 540 - 942K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Bunyip02 said:

Thinking caps on .....

I'm scared already!! Oddly I just rediscovered the hair caps that come with carrara - they even have one for Apollo!

Stezza said:

all the titles have been taken already... waow, quick as!

great image @UnifiedBrain as usual .... I was going to use that title for mine... I still might as it's the clown thing to do..

good to see you back @diomede

hehe, I thought it was a great joke, a song without sound, until I realised my laptop was on mute :)

now your image doesnt have to have a song title as a title

but I'm sure tjhere's plenty left :)

Stezza said:

Used Carrara's duplicator to duplicate Harpet all over the place using random settings and also used Carrara's hair tool
    Carrara 8.5 Pro version

Send in the Clowns

more scaryness, the colour of that eyeshadow reminds me of that movie Beetlejiuce,

really liking the colour tones and atmopshere of your recent renders - not sure what it is - they seem to have more depth?

I'm standing at my kitchen bench using the surface pro just downloaded carrara on it and M4 and the realized that it comes with hair caps

had a play with artrage and painted some textures and added hair to a hair cap, oddly enough the default settings suit a clown

Untitled-1.jpg
    2736 x 1824 - 2M

should have a play with carrara paint for the next face

just for fun here's an old video with a clown - everything modelled in anim8or and carrara (except the guy who gets pushed off the balcony - spoiler alert)

it's blushworthy - all the clown movements are with morphs

edited April 2022

a rehash of another image I done in a different challenge not long ago wink

added Malini, Dr Pitterbull, Harpet & Genesis

Clowning Around

Clowning Around.png
    900 x 557 - 921K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Headwax said:

Stezza said:

Carrara 8.5 Pro version

Send in the Clowns

more scaryness, the colour of that eyeshadow reminds me of that movie Beetlejiuce,

really liking the colour tones and atmopshere of your recent renders - not sure what it is - they seem to have more depth?

aha... I new it was a movie laugh

I've been using depth of field set at 35 for a few lately just fora change .. maybe it's that enlightened 

Stezza said:

a rehash of another image I done in a different challenge not long ago wink

added Malini, Dr Pitterbull, Harpet & Genesis

Clowning Around

beautifully adapted

bring in the clowns - hold on, they are alreeady there!

thanks for the hint on the 35 depth

edited April 2022

Circus

CC62 Bobo the Clown 1.png
    1600 x 1200 - 3M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

Stezza - two great renders.  beetlejuice, beetlejuice, beetlejuice !

Bunyip - I love the circus.  They used to drop the elephants off the train along my route to work.  Once a year people would gather by the overpass to watch the elephants prepare for the parade up 7th street.  Now no elephants.  Guess its for the best, but less joy for the kiddies.  Cool toon elephant in your tent made me think of it.

Headwax - nice make up job.  Inspires me to give Carrara paint a deeper look.

edited April 2022

Here is my WIP.  Clown/Circus seems like a perfect theme to make some claymation characters.

First I made a new base figure, 3 fingers, slightly oversized head, hands, and feet.  Then I made my first clown from the base.  This one is slightly overweight and has a clown cannon.  Have not UVMapped the clown yet so just used solid color shaders based on the shading domains.  Created a hair cap and grew some frizzy/kinky hair.  Clown needs to be boned and posed.

bb00 clown and cannon.jpg
    800 x 600 - 26K
    bb01 low res base.jpg
    1191 x 1003 - 165K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Bunyip02 said:

Circus

gotta love 3DU toons yes

great image @Bunyip02

Great modelling @Diomede... was thinking of same but you'll do it heaps betterer than me .. awesome heart 

edited April 2022

Opt In

using G1 and clown suit retextured and used Carrara Earth and I modelled the crown hat & phone, and brushes for smoke & fireworks in PSE22

Opt In Text.png
    800 x 600 - 657K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Bunyip02 said:

Circus

very nice = like the circus of my childhood :) Except the clowns were scarier

Diomede said:

Here is my WIP.  Clown/Circus seems like a perfect theme to make some claymation characters.

First I made a new base figure, 3 fingers, slightly oversized head, hands, and feet.  Then I made my first clown from the base.  This one is slightly overweight and has a clown cannon.  Have not UVMapped the clown yet so just used solid color shaders based on the shading domains.  Created a hair cap and grew some frizzy/kinky hair.  Clown needs to be boned and posed.

ah love how you start from scratch - I'm proud of myself if I model a sphere ;)

looking forward to the cannon shot!\thanks for commenting on the clown texture too - yes we should revisit carrara paint