Post Your Renders - Happy New Year yall

Comments

• DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Pimpy, honest to God I thought it was a photo and you were saying you were spending the holidays vacationing somewhere on the Mediterranean Sea.

Wow, great work.

Exactly what I thought too....I thought I was making a joke when I asked how he made the image! Lends credit to your abilities Pimpy, great start to the new year indeed!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    edited December 1969

Great renders all of you... wow.

• edited January 2015

Hi, My first render post. This was a project I created for myself to create a fantasy formula 1 car. After seeing all the ridiculous wings added to modern day formula one cars, I decided to push it little farther, with more wings and an over extended nose and air box. Now that I made it it and rendered it somewhat realistically, it doesn't look as comical as I though it might look.

I created everything in Carrara 8.5 with the post render done with Photoshop. I blurred the background and the wheels, and stripped in the car. Also adjusted some curves and saturation.

Still struggling with UV mapping on the car. I'm having a heck of a time figuring that out. I kept it simple but wished I could of added more stripes and sponsors. Also still trying to figure out the lighting options. I used Skylight, but it still seems too harsh. This took me about 3 months to make. Have tips on lighting or UV mapping?

Hope you enjoy the image.

Goosari_2014.jpg
    1354 x 817 - 533K
    Post edited by dquednau_e31562e5cc on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Looks pretty great and realistic to me, Hurrydowns. Daylight can be pretty harsh, it's not that unrealistic. If you wanted to soften it a bit nothing would stop you from adding soft shadows to the sunlight, for example, and you said you're using skylight, nothing stops you from amping that up well above 100% to give more real-ambient light in the scene (though I don't really recommend using the actual 'ambient' light in the assembly room for the scene tab, as that just brightens everything unilaterally).

Personally I think the car looks pretty realistic/futuristic. The airboxes on the side did make me think 'hey, wouldn't that catch the wind and slow the car down?' at first, but I thought it was a real design til you said otherwise in your post.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

The thing about the Skylight is that is a partial global illumination. It doesn't reflect or bounce light from one surface to the next, but it does enable images, color, color gradients, HDRIs and even skies such as the Realistic Sky to act as image based light (which simulates atmospheric light). This can extra light adds to the over-all brightness of the image. Generally, for an outdoor scene, the primary light acts as a sunlight, and is usually handled fairly well, but if you begin to add lights for rim lights, etc. then you may need to tone the intensity down on those lights a bit.

I usually post this one in reference to wet maps, but in this image I also used Skylight. Part of the guy in the car was in deep shadows because the Skylight doesn't calculate indirect light, so I put a spotlight on the guy in the car. I did tone it down to avoid washing out the spot that weren't in shadows.

Bikini-Car-wash-GI.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited January 2015

I've been playing around in Carrara with some of my favorite go-to product sets lately. Here's Faverel's Medieval Tavern (http://www.daz3d.com/medieval-tavern) rendered in Carrara 8.5 Pro, post-work in Photoshop CS5.

"Closing Time"

MedievalTavern.jpg
    1200 x 654 - 137K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • RestifRestif Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

Forever working with my main character Adrea for the story Keepers of Wrath.
    Here I rendered Adrea separate from the backround (both in Carrara) and composited it and added some grading elements.

Always inspired by the many Carrara artists out there. Hope you like this one.

The_End_of_the_Road_KoR_promo_post1.jpg
    1199 x 641 - 284K
  • mikael-aronssonmikael-aronsson Posts: 546
    edited December 1969

Just a couple of images from my Carrara warm up, trying to get the hang of all features and testing depth of field and fog, there are trees missing in the background so it get a little empty there.

cbridge2.png
    1200 x 560 - 1M
    bridge_104.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
  • Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 833
    edited January 2015

Nice renders everyone.

HurryDowns, I'd love to know which of the model rooms you used to create your car.

I've only made a few models but these have been in Hexagon because I haven't taken the Carrara bull by the horns properly yet.

I did set myself the task of learning the Spline Modeller to make an F1 car but only made the engine canopy and nose. The rest I put together by box modelling in Hexagon to give myself a rough idea of what to try next. Then ended by making the whole thing in Hexagon - which I was still only learning.

The Spline Modelling process isn't too difficult to grasp but it takes either a natural talent or a good deal of practice to be able to use it well, in my opinion.

I posted my efforts at making the car - and an earlier model - in this thread http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/44987/ where people, particularly Roygee, gave me very helpful feedback.

I don't mean to hijack this render thread - but your model is very accomplished and it is great to hear of it being made in Carrara.

EDIT to add: REALLY nice renders everyone!

Post edited by Hermit Crab on
    edited December 1969

Forever working with my main character Adrea for the story Keepers of Wrath.
    Here I rendered Adrea separate from the backround (both in Carrara) and composited it and added some grading elements.

Always inspired by the many Carrara artists out there. Hope you like this one.

Very nice use of clouds as dust. Also, it's kind of hidden, but nice job getting the ringed planet in the background. The subtle effect helps to tell the viewer that this isn't Kansas anymore.

edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:
    I've been playing around in Carrara with some of my favorite go-to product sets lately. Here's Faverel's Medieval Tavern (http://www.daz3d.com/medieval-tavern) rendered in Carrara 8.5 Pro, post-work in Photoshop CS5.

"Closing Time"

Is that a lion or big dog that looks so tired. ;-)

very nice atmosphere and lighting.

edited December 1969

Just a couple of images from my Carrara warm up, trying to get the hang of all features and testing depth of field and fog, there are trees missing in the background so it get a little empty there.

I would say you're off to a great start. I like the bright colors and whimsical subject matter. Looks like you're designing a scene for a fairy tale.

edited December 1969

I am... it's (or will be) illustrations for a fairy child story

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited January 2015

Hi, My first render post. This was a project I created for myself to create a fantasy formula 1 car. After seeing all the ridiculous wings added to modern day formula one cars, I decided to push it little farther, with more wings and an over extended nose and air box. Now that I made it it and rendered it somewhat realistically, it doesn't look as comical as I though it might look.

I created everything in Carrara 8.5 with the post render done with Photoshop. I blurred the background and the wheels, and stripped in the car. Also adjusted some curves and saturation.

Still struggling with UV mapping on the car. I'm having a heck of a time figuring that out. I kept it simple but wished I could of added more stripes and sponsors. Also still trying to figure out the lighting options. I used Skylight, but it still seems too harsh. This took me about 3 months to make. Have tips on lighting or UV mapping?

Hope you enjoy the image.

nice work, made me chuckle :) post more.!

edit I see you asked for lighting tips.

I go for speed, there fore no soft shadows.

1 make distant light 130 percent lighting value, 100 percent shadows, yellow colour - this is your sun.
    duplicate it make it blue of your sky and drop it down to 12 percent with no shadows, twist it around a little but stil keep it faceing down
    do this five times so you have north south east west etc covered
    group these last lights (leaving out the sunlight light) - name them skylights
    duplicate group, twist them so they are pointing up, name them ground lights
    select them all and make them the same colour(s) as your ground

do a test render, adjust colours, intensities, number of lights etc to your liking
    this is a basic out door lighting setting that works wonders and renders fast

you then go in and add more lights to simulate reflections etc and light up individual objects

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited January 2015

Yeah, Hurry, Mik, Restif, MDO, EP... all of you... bravo to some fine renders! Awesome!
    Thinking that I would be able to get in some Carrara time today was a fun thought, but it just wasn't happening :(
    I did finally manage to get in just enough time to fire up my DIM and get some stuff installed/updated and have some fun with my new starship from Petipet, which was fun... but alas, not the long, fun Carrara session I had planned. Just sitting in this chair again, however, felt very good, and I hope to return to it more frequently as time goes on. Cheers to all, and Happy New Year!

IntergalacticTraitorH1.jpg
    1156 x 719 - 591K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Yeah, Hurry, Mik, Restif, MDO, EP... all of you... bravo to some fine renders! Awesome!
    Thinking that I would be able to get in some Carrara time today was a fun thought, but it just wasn't happening :(
    I did finally manage to get in just enough time to fire up my DIM and get some stuff installed/updated and have some fun with my new starship from Petipet, which was fun... but alas, not the long, fun Carrara session I had planned. Just sitting in this chair again, however, felt very good, and I hope to return to it more frequently as time goes on. Cheers to all, and Happy New Year!

good action render

edited December 1969

Thanks, bigh

edited December 1969

I sure hope Petipet's ship can get away from the copyright lawyers! Then again, it is Cylon, so maybe it should be blown up!

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

I made these ones wit Octane

Anjiru_002_O_k2.png
    1500 x 1688 - 3M
    Anjiru_002_O_k.png
    1500 x 1688 - 2M
  • magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited December 1969

very cool and realistic EddyMI, what shader did you use for the skin?

mine is another try with same rig + IBL

aa0.JPG
    2000 x 945 - 2M
    edited January 2015

Hi magaremoto,

your's is looking great too.

The skin I used is Diva V4 by plus3D.

Post edited by EddyMI3D on
    edited December 1969

thank you,
    I guess you have made some changes over the skin parameters, would you please mention a few tricks? I find your skin one of the most convincing ever for that engine

edited January 2015

I only optimized the hair for a bit more bump. The other textures have not been changed. The Octane Plugin did a good work.
    I put a screenshot of the hair shader to this post

Octane.jpg
    732 x 990 - 118K
    Post edited by EddyMI3D on
  • stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited January 2015

I'm starting to focus on skin tone and lighting. This is the native Carrara renderer with standard non GI lighting. I'm trying to achieve dramatic cinimatic mood lighting.

princess.png
    1200 x 900 - 763K
    Post edited by stringtheory9 on
    edited January 2015

This is the same image as above. When I looked at it on my iPhone it looked very very dark. Nothing like it did on my Mac (in Photoshop with proof image on). I did some level adjustments so that it would look the same brightness. When I get to work I am going to check it on my Windows machine. It'll probably look completely different on that too. I don't know what to trust as a reference. Argggggg!!!

image.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 177K
    Post edited by stringtheory9 on
  • DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

Probably the age old screen calibration or colour profile issue that seems to be more of a problem on Carrara than most of the other apps I've used.

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 785
    edited December 1969

I think that Mac's and PC's use different color spaces when they display images on screen. Images created on PC's always look a little dark on my Mac. At one time Mac's used RGB and PC's sRGB. I'm not sure if that's still true.

edited December 1969

I think that is because Mac has a different default gamma compared to PC's, at least I think I read that somewhere.

edited December 1969

I think that is because Mac has a different default gamma compared to PC's, at least I think I read that somewhere.

I think that Mac's and PC's use different color spaces when they display images on screen. Images created on PC's always look a little dark on my Mac. At one time Mac's used RGB and PC's sRGB. I'm not sure if that's still true.

Probably the age old screen calibration or colour profile issue that seems to be more of a problem on Carrara than most of the other apps I've used.

Thanks guys, I've been doing some reading and Apple switched over to a gamma of 2.2 in Snow Leapord (10.6) as 2.2 had become the standard amongst cameras, PCs and other devices such as smartphones. I'm running 10.9 so I would imagine that there should be no issues. My iMac is from 2007 so it might be an issue with the screen specifications and the new OS gamma settings. I'll try recalibrate using my iPhone as a reference.

edited December 1969

more other attempts focusing on shadows and reflections; native resolution 4K, around 13 minutes each render

4.jpg
    2000 x 858 - 1M
    3.jpg
    2000 x 858 - 1M
    2.jpg
    2000 x 858 - 1M
    1.jpg
    2000 x 858 - 1M
This discussion has been closed.