Post Your Renders - Happy New Year yall

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

For software agnostic books, I highly recommend Digital Lighting and Rendering by Jeremy Birn.

• RestifRestif Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

You may all know this, but I found a great little tutorial that has helped my skin rendering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhqpUKXfBMM

Would recommend it.

Below is the result, inpart. I used map lighting and indirect light, PhilW Crista hair. I am grateful for the tutorial (and so many others I've learned from).

Teen_Adrea_sitting_on_Board_POST1.jpg
    1000 x 1063 - 548K
    edited December 1969

You may all know this, but I found a great little tutorial that has helped my skin rendering.

Would recommend it.

Below is the result, inpart. I used map lighting and indirect light, PhilW Crista hair. I am grateful for the tutorial (and so many others I've learned from).

The only thing that really screams "fake" at me is the ground surface, the shoe and elements of the skateboard texture. The figure, clothes, sky and lighting could easily be mistaken for "real" if it weren't for the elements I mentioned above.

By the way, when you say map lighting, is it correct to assume you mean an HDRI?

• RestifRestif Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

No, I didn't use HDRI option under the backround, but the map. then used GI Domes maps.

edited December 1969

That works to! Looks very good!

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

Yeah, if your goal is realism I think you did a good job with the face. But IMO, as you expand outward from the face it begins to lose impact.

The biggest glaring issue IMO, and one I've had for a long time with the Poser-type figures, is the feet. Really, no detail whatsoever, and a pretty good giveaway that it's a Cg model. And I'd quibble with the skin highlights being a bit too much. I think the skin needs more work overall. Maybe work on the SSS to give it some depth and body.

And as Evil says, the skateboard texturing is a bit lacking. And of course the ground is I'm sure just a placeholder for the real ground texture, correct? :) :)

I'd also suggest that, even though you're using conforming clothes you give them a Bullet cloth sim to get them to drape a bit more realistically.

But like I say, the face area looks real good...nice expression, nice attitude, good lighting.

• EyosEyos Posts: 114
    edited December 1969

Would recommend it.

Great render! and thanks for the link to the tutorial, really helpful.
    I join the remark about the ground.. but the rest is impressive!

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Would recommend it.

Restif, that's tremendous! I had watched Holly's tutorial on specularity via cell procedural before, but wasn't entirely convinced it could be more effective than regular character spec maps, but your render makes me think maybe I should start changing all my character shaders and use this approach as well.

The spec looks a tad bright for normal skin, but still reads realistic for anyone who might have a bit of sunscreen on, and that fits in in the render just fine. I really had to look close to see that half of her scalp is bare beneath the scalp. Others have mentioned the texture of the pavement/road, yes it's flat, but if you were able to add bump it still might be a little confusing as it looks more like gravel then asphalt or concrete, and as a former skateboarder myself I'd wonder how she was able to skateboard on such a surface :) Could add a bit of a fabric-y bump to the texture of the shoes too, but all in all this is a fantastic render, very realistic.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079
    edited February 2015

This is just from Stringtheory's proof of concept for more efficient softbody dynamic cloth. Able to get a sitting drape in less than a few minutes.

Congratulations, Patriots (see her dress?)

Edit: The outfit is a single long dress mesh. It is not a top and a skirt. Now your Daz Dolls do not need to be in slutwear just because conforming long skirts need too many morphs.

soft_test_6.jpg
    640 x 480 - 13K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

Nothing special, just playing with lights and mats. I decided to do a quick re-work of a quick render I did to show that G2F does work in Carrara for one of the typical "Genesis doesn't work in Carrara" posts. I wanted to redo it with a different and better short hair, and add some shoes (I also did some morph work on V6). The pose isn't great, but I like the way it “captures” the rim light and creates the edge highlights. I also tried SSS on the hair for the first time, I kind of like the effect. It is lit with one of the studio HDRI’s that come with Octane, and one mesh (rim) light. Rendered with the Octane plugin for Carrara using the path tracing kernel.

Not really good enough to post to my gallery, but I thought a few people here might find it interesting.

V6_X-bikini_Path_Tracing2.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 304K
    edited December 1969

Would recommend it.

Really well done!!
  • magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited February 2015

wow, restif, photo-like outcome and brilliant tut by Holly, I feel so envious :-)

dust rider, great render as usual, the skin has no sss or translucency, right?

Post edited by magaremoto on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

i played with directional force today :)

couldn't get it to do much, yet.

it gives a convert keyframes message.

01testDirectionalforce.gif
    340 x 255 - 3M
    edited December 1969

dust rider, great render as usual, the skin has no sss or translucency, right?

Thanks! Actually it does. I tend to prefer a less waxy look, though the SSS on this one could have been a bit more. Attached is another render with no SSS (Direct Lighting) - it makes it a bit easier to see the subtle SSS effects in the other image.
    V6_X-bikini_DL_2.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 305K
  • stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited December 1969

My convertor is almost done. I made the morphs that were missing from V4 so all of the faceshift blendshapes (Maya versions of a morphs) now control a facial movement. I did this quick test using a clip I grabbed off of YouTube (from Kick A..). I messed up some of my lip-syncing in the middle but the rest is pretty close I think. It's not easy face acting and lip-syncing at the same time!

http://youtu.be/kpteRbAemfg

rock.png
    853 x 717 - 868K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

that was an interesting skin tut. i didn't know the shader [review ball could be turned :)

edited December 1969

I see dustrider, I was misled by the environment reflections; stringtheory, keep up the good work, I know faceshift is not easy to calibrate so I guess your work is going to be very hard; which camera do you actually use? and what OS?

edited December 1969

I see dustrider, I was misled by the environment reflections; stringtheory, keep up the good work, I know faceshift is not easy to calibrate so I guess your work is going to be very hard; which camera do you actually use? and what OS?

Thanks magaremoto. With good lighting, calibration hasn't been too difficult. The big challenge has been retargeting and correctly scaling the 51 faceshift morphs to corresponding Daz morphs so that the captured results are accurately reproduced.

I'm running faceshift on a 2007 iMac (current version of OS X) and using an original Xbox Kinekt that I got off eBay for $37. I mention this because, in light of the discussion raging in the "Future of Carrara" thread, I want Carrara hobbiests to know that for under $200 we can have essentially the same facial capture technology at our disposal that the big boys are using.

• DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

Thanks magaremoto. With good lighting, calibration hasn't been too difficult. The big challenge has been retargeting and correctly scaling the 51 faceshift morphs to corresponding Daz morphs so that the captured results are accurately reproduced.

I'm running faceshift on a 2007 iMac (current version of OS X) and using an original Xbox Kinekt that I got off eBay for $37. I mention this because, in light of the discussion raging in the "Future of Carrara" thread, I want Carrara hobbiests to know that for under $200 we can have essentially the same facial capture technology at our disposal that the big boys are using.

The last video you shared showed compelling facial animation actually, which made me look up faceshift again, but how do you mean: "for under $200 we can have essentially the same facial capture technology at our disposal?" They're asking for $800 per year on their website for the freelance version, that's about four times the cost of Carrara!

edited February 2015

The last video you shared showed compelling facial animation actually, which made me look up faceshift again, but how do you mean: "for under $200 we can have essentially the same facial capture technology at our disposal?" They're asking for $800 per year on their website for the freelance version, that's about four times the cost of Carrara!

They offer a perpetual non commercial license for $150. I know there are people using Carrara for commercial projects but I think the lions share fall into the hobbiest category and would qualify. And I'm going to make the tool that converts faceshift data to pz2 format, freely downloadable. It does all of the retargeting and scaling so it's a simple click and use process.

Post edited by stringtheory9 on
  • DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

They offer a perpetual non commercial license for $150. I know there are people using Carrara for commercial projects but I think the lions share fall into the hobbiest category and would qualify. And I'm going to make the tool that converts faceshift data to pz2 format, freely downloadable. It does all of the re-targeting and scaling so it's a simple click and use process.

Oh okay, thanks, finally found it, good to know. I find their pricing kind of warped though,after mastering the software by using the perpetual non commercial license, the subscription model and the price they're offering at make it impracticable to upgrade from the non commercial license even when you're ready to do commercial work with it, because how many projects do you have to deliver and at what cost to accomodate the cost for facial mocap alone? Looking forward to seeing more samples of its integration into Carrara nonetheless.

edited December 1969

They offer a perpetual non commercial license for $150. I know there are people using Carrara for commercial projects but I think the lions share fall into the hobbiest category and would qualify. And I'm going to make the tool that converts faceshift data to pz2 format, freely downloadable. It does all of the re-targeting and scaling so it's a simple click and use process.

Oh okay, thanks, finally found it, good to know. I find their pricing kind of warped though,after mastering the software by using the perpetual non commercial license, the subscription model and the price they're offering at make it impracticable to upgrade from the non commercial license even when you're ready to do commercial work with it, because how many projects do you have to deliver and at what cost to accomodate the cost for facial mocap alone? Looking forward to seeing more samples of its integration into Carrara nonetheless.

True, but for me, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. For now I'm just really happy to have an affordable tool that works for my needs.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

Render I did for the weekly PC Inspiration contest over in the Members Only forum. I'm trying to wave the Carrara flag over there. :)

Two Carrara 8.5 renders (one with volumetric clouds-as-fog and one with no fog and DOF) composited in Photoshop.

Mark

LastDaysoftheWar.jpg
    1850 x 2000 - 456K
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Great render, MDO2010! I'd say Carrara was well-represented :)

edited February 2015

the first kinect? :ohh: you are impressing me indeed; never had a good calibration with it, bravo. if I may suggest, I would add some bones to better control head motions, like here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBvWWcW5E1M and to rig the cheecks - here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3WUy59EONA - whereas faceshift is deficient especially for expressions of anger or such

Post edited by magaremoto on
    edited December 1969

the first kinect? :ohh: you are impressing me indeed; never had a good calibration with it, bravo. if I may suggest, I would add some bones to better control head motions, like here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBvWWcW5E1M and to rig the cheecks - here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3WUy59EONA - whereas faceshift is deficient especially for expressions of anger or such

Thanks for the very useful links. The Ikinema tool looks awesome. I didn't have time to dig to see if that was available in Webanimate but hopefully it is. One great aspect of using Daz models with faceshift mocaps is that the morph parameters can still be used in conjunction with the mocap. For example I can capture a very bland performance and then overlay an expression on top of that such as adding a smile or an angry expression by simply setting the slider value. The performance then has the same motion but includes the added expresion. It's probably not the most professional aproach but it's very easy to implement and the results are quite decent.

Another thing I'm doing is using Fenrics ERC to connect eyebrow movement to forehead wrinkles and smiles to crows feet morphs and a few others. I'm also experimenting with wrinkle normal maps that fade in and out based on the movement of an associated face part (also using ERC). Non of those techniques are in place on the last video as that was just an example of the raw faceshift data converted to pz2 then imported and rendered.

I'm learning that my acting chops are severely under developed and, quite terrifyingly, a lot of my own mannerisms are creeping into the mocaps. Apparently my head movements are quite jerky like that in person. It's kind of like hearing your own voice on a recording and then thinking "oh crap, do I really sound like that!".

edited December 1969

Yes I know Stringtheory, but since I'm not an animator I would prefer to have much more control in real time and eventually refine a little via morphs, anyway your efforts to convert faceshift outcomes in morphs will be a great added value for carrara, I absolutely would pay for that :cheese:

edited December 1969

...your efforts to convert faceshift outcomes in morphs will be a great added value for carrara...:

Thanks magaremoto, I'm hoping so.

• CoolBreezeCoolBreeze Posts: 207
    edited February 2015

Ok, I've seemed to have good luck with this render project I put together last night and finished tonight... Used the same Serpentine Valley HDRI at 900% intensity, 0 Basic Lighting, Full Global Illumination - Skylight and Indirect Lighting 100% each ...

Bit of camera DoF included...

Was just revisiting and remixing an older scene I had done years ago, when I didn't have as good vehicle props to use, let alone scene lighting. Re-imported 2 of the 3 Generation 4 characters, updated their skin shaders for SSS, and added a newer 4th character (M4 also)... Will have to get them converted over to Genesis2 at some point...

Shader on the T800 endo skeleton is a modified Dull Metal shader. Vehicle Golden Yellow Paint shader is my own work. Used Black Patina on the wheels.

I like the way this one turned out... TSCC still has a soft place in my heart ;)

Here's the original from '09 "Terminating a Terminator"

TSCC_2015_Doc20a.jpg
    1600 x 588 - 267K
    Post edited by CoolBreeze on
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited February 2015

This, of course, requires no explanation. Just robots doing robot things.

Carrara 8.5 render, post-work in Photoshop.

ItsADisguise.jpg
    1500 x 1106 - 192K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
This discussion has been closed.