I don't like this modeling method

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
edited March 2022 in Carrara Discussion

Free - so I should not complain

I downloaded a free Star Trek Galileo Shuttle from ShareCG.  This is the episode where Spock commands a shuttle expedition to a planet of giant stone age humanoids.

The person modeled all of the textures into the mesh, including the letter script for the name of the shuttle, but the letters read backwards.

https://www.sharecg.com/v/78904/related/21/DAZ-Studio/Star-Trek-V-Galileo-Shuttlecraft-for-DAZ-4.7

Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,849

import it flipped or flip it and the normals in the vertex room

yeah, mesh letters can be overkill but if a separate mesh not hard to remove 

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 520

I could'nt  even get the model into Carrara from the prop folder in duf format,  I get a nil pointer error.  the obj from the runtime folder comes in properly,  I used these import options

import options.JPG
    520 x 558 - 42K
    shuttle.JPG
    1920 x 1049 - 235K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,723
    edited March 2022

I used that Carrara plugin that they have to give away for free, DAZ Studio, adjusted the Scale for the X Scale to -100%.

Then I exported that item as an obj, and imported it into Carrara.

Galileo 1 DAZStudio.png
    1901 x 1003 - 201K
    Galileo 1 carrara.png
    2265 x 1038 - 437K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083

Excellent, Bunyip.  I will do that.

I am curious.  In which rendering program is the mesh reversed like this?

Diomede said:

Hello Diomede, the text is reversed in DAZ Studio when you scale X Scale to -100%

Also use the scaling to -100% to convert left hand drive vehicles to right hand drive vehicles !

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited March 2022

Bunyip02 said:

Diomede said:

Hello Diomede, the text is reversed in DAZ Studio when you scale X Scale to -100%

Also use the scaling to -100% to convert left hand drive vehicles to right hand drive vehicles !

About the cars. It does change it the way you said, but if the dash is important... it will be backwards. And if you have a number plate/licence plate, you need to photoshop or whatever to put it in reverse otherwise the lettering comes out backwards. Same if there is writing on the hood/bonnet.  But it has been very useful for me to do this. Great hack. Thanks for the reminder!!  I did this on https://www.daz3d.com/car-ranger

yes Silene 

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Bunyip02 said:

I used that Carrara plugin that they have to give away for free, DAZ Studio, adjusted the Scale for the X Scale to -100%.

A very nice tip Bunyip, and well illustrated - thanks!  I admire your ability to manipulate stuff in DS.

I am slowly getting familiar again with DS (for the plugin value), after years of going cold turkey into Carrara.  A lot to relearn.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
    edited March 2022

ProPose said:

I could'nt  even get the model into Carrara from the prop folder in duf format,  I get a nil pointer error.  the obj from the runtime folder comes in properly,  I used these import options

Thanks, @ProPose.  I missed your solution at first.  I had forgotten that Poser-format content includes the OBJs in a geometry folder.  I wonder why the result is getting inverted in the X axis if the OBJ is not.  Hmmm.  

Saves some steps. yes

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited March 2022

Diomede said:

ProPose said:

Thanks, @ProPose.  I missed your solution at first.  I had forgotten that Poser-format content includes the OBJs in a geometry folder.  I wonder why the result is getting inverted in the X axis if the OBJ is not.  Hmmm.  

Saves some steps. yes

Bringing the item in as the Poser obj loses the colour info, you then need to reapply the colours in Carrara.

As to why it's inverting the model in the DUF file is a mystery !!!

Post edited by Bunyip02 on

UnifiedBrain said:

Bunyip02 said:

A very nice tip Bunyip, and well illustrated - thanks!  I admire your ability to manipulate stuff in DS.

I am slowly getting familiar again with DS (for the plugin value), after years of going cold turkey into Carrara.  A lot to relearn.

Hello UB, I started out with DAZ Studio before I saw the light and emigrated to Carrara. I did keep my skills with DS as I thought it might be useful. Still using version 4.10 though.....

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,808
    edited April 2022

tried this to pass a bit of time..

I extracted the OBJ file from the zip file, imported into Carrara and textured using Carrara's plastic shaders

Shuttle.png
    640 x 480 - 166K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • rk66rk66 Posts: 433

Here a similar free shuttle (car version) by spacebones > https://sharecg.com/v/63188/gallery/5/3D-Model/Multi-Purpose-Shuttle-MPS2A-Beaver-Carrara