Scene Builder Questions

staticstatic Posts: 325
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Is there any way to add my own objects to the scene builder?
I rarely use it because I don't use hardly any of the stuff in it. I can add a character from the Content Library just as easy.
But if I can link the resources I use most often, it would be an awesome little tool.

Comments

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,184
    edited January 2015

Yes, there is. In fact, it's [intentionally] quite easy to do too.

The first thing you'll need to understand is that the current implementation of Scene Builder uses metadata to populate its views. More specifically, it uses categories, and in certain cases compatibility information, to determine what should be shown. If the CMS is not running, Scene Builder will "fall back" to an earlier implementation that functions a bit differently - less of a multi-page wizard, more of a multi-list dialog without the "smart" functionality.

To add a Character Preset to the Add a Female Character page:
    - Locate the desired preset in either the Smart Content pane or the Content Library pane
    - Expand the Scene Builder category in the Smart Content pane
    - Click and drag the icon for the desired preset from the Smart Content / Content Library pane, and drop it onto the label for the Scene Builder > Female Character category (in the navigation area on the left, not with all the other icons on the right). This assigns the category to the preset.*

*An alternate method of assigning the category would be to right click on the icon (in either Smart Content or Content Library) and choose the Categorize... option from the menu. In the Select Category dialog that pops up, navigate to, and then check the box adjacent to, the Categories > Default > Scene Builder > Female Character category.

Adding a Character Preset to the Add a Male Character page is accomplished the same way... just replace all occurrences of "Female" above, with "Male."

Adding a Hair preset to the Choose Hair page is accomplished in much the same way, except all hair, regardless of compatibility, is placed in the Scene Builder > Hair category - the assets are filtered by the view in Scene Builder.**

Wearable(s) Presets are placed in Scene Builder > Wardrobe, and like hair - regardless of compatibility, is placed in a single category.**

Pose Presets are placed in Scene Builder > Pose, and like hair/wardrobe - regardless of compatibility, is placed in a single category.**

**These categories are not displayed in the Smart Content pane unless the target figure is in the scene and that figure is selected. One additional note here.... If you are dragging and dropping from the Content Library pane you can actually select assets that are not already set as being compatible with the selected figure and through the course of this action establish compatibility. If the asset hasn't yet been assigned a type, a dialog will be displayed prompting for one when dropped.

Light(s) Presets are placed in Scene Builder > Lighting...

Camera(s) Presets are placed in Scene Builder > Camera...

Scene Subsets are placed in Scene Builder > Environment...

-Rob

Post edited by rbtwhiz on
  • staticstatic Posts: 325
    edited December 1969

Thanks Rob!
    That is amazingly simple, but it brings up a new question(s)...
    Can I make a new category or subcategory?
    For instance:
    Can I make a Creatures category for Dragons and the like?
    Can I make a subcategory for Female Characters so that I can separate Genesis 2 from Genesis, 4th Gen, 3rd Gen, etc...?