DAZ Studio Pro 4.7.0.12, General Release, Now Available!

Comments

• GreywulfGreywulf Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

I'm really excited by the new Environment Pane and can really see it's potential - animated backdrops, procedural and shader-based backgrounds, green-screening, glow, z-depth.............

Can't wait to see what the dev team and plugin writers come up with!

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 2014

Environment is a logical place for it, since it is part of the environment. The plan is apparently to expand what is available there (in addition to the new option not to have a backdrop colour or image at all), presumably beyond what can be placed comfortably in an Edit>Backdrop dialogue. A modeless pane is also more convenient for frequent changes.

This is a reason for my confusion as I don't see it is as a logical place for such options to be because one of background options affects the rendered picture, not the environment itself. Also, until I was pointed on it, the Background drop down option was entirely not obvious.
    Post edited by Kattey on
  • Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

Environment is a logical place for it, since it is part of the environment. The plan is apparently to expand what is available there (in addition to the new option not to have a backdrop colour or image at all), presumably beyond what can be placed comfortably in an Edit>Backdrop dialogue. A modeless pane is also more convenient for frequent changes.

...something like this? https://3delight.atlassian.net/wiki/display/3DFM/3Delight+Sky

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,737
    edited December 1969

I don't know, it would be nice. I was thinking of something like modo's environment options, but I wasn't told exactly what they had in mind (and wouldn't have been able to say if I had been).

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459
    edited December 1969

...something like this? https://3delight.atlassian.net/wiki/display/3DFM/3Delight+Sky

Infinito has some of those abilities.

edited December 1969

marshian said:

Infinito has some of those abilities.

I don't have that plugin, but the product description on that page only mentions terrain generation. Outdated info?

As to what similar tools we have right now - not seamlessly integrated plugins, of course, but generating HDR sky panoramas, there are free options: 3Delight's tdlmake utility can generate a simple skymap (find the syntax here: http://www.3delight.com/en/uploads/docs/3delight/3delight_12.html ), and then there is this little free utility: http://freac-x.de/freac/drupal/?q=node/7

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459
    edited December 1969

Infinito does generate sky domes similar to the link posted. A search on the name would lead more images....maybe a website or blog.the skies are simple,no clouds but a Sun and there are stars if i remember correctly. I'm not at home so i can't check

edited December 1969

marshian said:
    Infinito does generate sky domes similar to the link posted

Okay, thanks. The real question would be if the Infinito skies are HDR - only then they could be used to light a scene nicely.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

...it's too bad there just isn't standalone set of skydomes to use with any lighting setup.

• edited December 1969

Just how big is the installer?
    I downloaded DAZ3DIM_1.1.0.28_win32 (yeah, I still use 32bit winxp and daz3d 4.5 works fine) the file always finished downloading at approximately 53MB. When I run the file, nothing happens. Is this the installer for daz3d 4.7??

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

No - that is the Download and Install manager ...
    DazStudio is https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_13176

• edited January 2015

^ Thanks for the quick reply, then what's the DIM I downloaded for??
    [edit]
    seems like I can't DL it without using the install manager. I guess that's its purpose.

Post edited by useless_1975_837db407db on
    edited December 1969

It helps to download (it is faster than the store page and assists stop and resume) and if you want it to, you can use it to install the downloaded things.
    I like it for downloading (it tells you when there are updates to products) - but I do my installing by hand (oldfashioned ... grin)

More about it here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/install-manager-info

• OlorinOlorin Posts: 46
    edited December 1969

I am wondering if anyone knows if the render profiles by adamr001 mentioned in this thread http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/16085/ will work in this new version. These render profiles are one of the reasons I have been reluctant to upgrade.

Also, I have been doing 3d for quite awhile, but have only very recently been learning DS, so this might sound like a stupid question to most people, but if I upgrade to DS 4.7, will I need to re-install all of my content?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,358
    edited December 1969

Render setting are universal. They work in all versions of DS that have the options

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

if I upgrade to DS 4.7, will I need to re-install all of my content?

No, all your content is unaffected by an upgrade/reinstall of the program. Also, the settings that store your content folder locations and the database that drives the Smart Content display are not stored with the program, so they all get preserved as well.

The most you might have to do is reinstall any extra plugins you've bought that didn't come with DAZ|Studio — check the plugin version numbers before you update, if the last two numbers of the plugin version track the last two numbers of the D|S version, then that plugin will need to be redownloaded and reinstalled. The most common example of this is the Dynamic Cloth Control plugin; there are a few others.

edited December 1969

...well 4.7 borked AoA's Atmospheric and Sketch Cameras.

• OlorinOlorin Posts: 46
    edited December 1969

Thank you so much for the answers. I guess I should just try to upgrade and see what happens. It does sound like there are some nice features in the upgrade. It is very nice to know that the render settings will work and that I won't have to reinstall everything again.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...well 4.7 borked AoA's Atmospheric and Sketch Cameras.
    and Advanced Light flagging
    edited January 2015

....thanks, forgot about that too. Must have something to do with changes to the shader language in the updated 3DL.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Have the DFormers changed in the new upgrade? I tried the upgrade on my laptop, but can't seem to get the DForm to work the same as in DS4.6. In 4.6 I could make the DForm, delete it from the item and it would still be in Parameters, then I would save the item and the Morph would still be in Parameters on reload. Now I can't delete the DForm from the item as that deletes it from the Parameters.

Can anyone help please, as I use this a lot.

edited January 2015

Uhm ... it never worked like that for me ... I always had to use the Window / Pane / Dform and use Spawn Morph, give it a name and check create root control parameter ...

OK - this doesn't seem to work anymore - no morph is spawned??????????

Post edited by Kerya on
  • KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

13) Extended Texture Format Support - Added support for using .EXR, .HDR, .PSD, and various others directly as textures.

I admit to not reading the whole thread but sort of suspect no one has asked this as it is a bit obscure. Now that HDR support has been added do hdr files still need to be conveted to .tiff files inside studio for use with the Uberenviroment2 lights?

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited December 1969

Khory said:
    Now that HDR support has been added do hdr files still need to be conveted to .tiff files inside studio for use with the Uberenviroment2 lights?

No more conversion is needed. :-)

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Spiffy! Thank you.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Uhm ... it never worked like that for me ... I always had to use the Window / Pane / Dform and use Spawn Morph, give it a name and check create root control parameter ...

Exactly Kerya. Doesn't work like before and I have no idea how to use it now!!

Think I'll stick to DS4.6

• chorsechorse Posts: 163
    edited January 2015

ruphuss said:
    how to stop a movie render ?

You can't through the DS program. The only way that I know to cancel animation render is to kill the DS application trough the OS task manger - of course you will lose all the work that was not save.

This is a major oversight in the Daz Studio. You can make a feature suggestion to customer support and keep bringing it up on forums from time to time and perhaps someone might eventually act on it.

Post edited by chorse on
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    Kerya said:

Exactly Kerya. Doesn't work like before and I have no idea how to use it now!!

Think I'll stick to DS4.6

I submitted a bug report - wish us luck!

• stefan.humsstefan.hums Posts: 130
    edited December 1969

Perhaps also a bug I found:

Loading of a render settings preset ignores the filter parameters:

Pixel Filter Width X
    Pixel Filter Width Y

Do not change to the saved parameters but remain unchanged. This happens with the Render Profiles for DAZ Studio 4.5 from adamr001 and with own saved settings. Also with saved scenes, these two parameters are ignored when loading. Other parameters are set correctly as they were saved.

edited January 2015

...OK new bug.

First with one scene subset of a character who is wearing n SickleYield's Classic Swimsuit, whenever I open the file, the smoothing iterations on the swimsuit keep defaulting to 20 making it "explode" in the viewport. I reset the iterations to 2, save the scene, however the next time I open it or merge it into another scene, the smoothing of the swimsuit is set to 20 again.

In another WIP scene where I am using an UberVolume cone parented to a spotlight, whenever I open and run a test render the scene, I discover that the cone is positioned incorrectly and all my scaling parameter settings for the cone's diameter are changed. Again I correct the error and save the scene, however, the next time I open it and perform the first test render, I find the volume cone is back in the wrong position and the settings fro the diameter are incorrect again. This particular case is really frustrating in that have to take a lot of time manually repositioning the cone by first going into the surfaces tab to increase the opacity so I can see it, then back to the posing tab to reposition and reset the x and y values to match the spread of the spotlight. then back to the surfaces tab to turn off the opacity so I can run my test renders. A very tedious process. I had even locked all the scale settings before saving, but somehow they all changed upon opening the scene again.

A "save" should have saved all settings, period. Nothing should change the next time the scene is open.

in the second scene, I would normally have used the EZ Volume Camera and flagged it to the spotlight were it not for something in the 4.7 update that borked all of AoA's effects cameras.

Post edited by kyoto kid on