March 2022 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Posing and Posing II

L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

New User's Challenge - March 2022

Sponsored by DAZ 3D

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest render challenge!

Each month, there are two different challenges: A Beginner Challenge and an Intermediate Challenge.

So which "Challenge" should you choose?

Follow the Beginner Challenge if you are:

• New to the New User Challenges
  • New to Daz Studio
  • Newer to 3D Rendering in General
  • Or if you have not participated in the March Posing Challenge

Follow the Intermediate Challenge if you have:

• Participated in the New User Challenge for awhile
  • Know the basics of Daz Studio and would like to learn more in depth topics
  • Been using 3D Rendering Applications for awhile and feel comfortable with learning Intermediate Topics
  • Or if you have all ready participated in the March Posing Challenge

*Please be sure to list in your post which Challenge you are participating in*

Closing date for both is March 31st 2022

For a list of the current challenge rules, please see this thread: Challenge Rules

They apply for both versions of the challenge

Post edited by L'Adair on

Comments

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited March 2022

Beginner Challenge - March 2022

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest render challenge!

Posing

This challenge is a general render challenge with the focus being on how you pose the characters in your image. We're providing you with lots of great links on Posing from a variety of sources. To get started, find a photograph or drawing using this link or eg for dance poses this link to use as a reference. (Be sure the image you use is labeled for commercial reuse - though we will only be using it as reference, alternatively use your own personal photographs for reference.) Additional searches approved for use include RunningFighting. (These links go to DuckDuckGo, which may give different results for different searchers, and should give everyone plenty to choose from.)

Then try to pose your character as closely as possible to match the reference image. For this challenge, please post your reference image or a link to it, and your render. This will give forum viewers an idea of the pose you are trying to achieve and will lead to more helpful suggestions. Have fun!

How to Use Your Software:
    Software is often updated, and online tutorials and information often demonstrate older versions of the software. The software version you are using may differ in User Interface and tools available. Please share links to reference material that you have found helpful in the Challenge thread.

in DAZ Studio
    Daz Documentation Center [Wiki]
    Daz 101: Posing
    Pinning, Posing and the Active Pose Tool
    Applying Partial Poses
    DAZ Studio Tips 2 - Symmetry and Partial Poses
    Daz 3D Posing, Pinning Poses, & Morphs
    Some good tips in this forum thread.

in Poser
    Poser Tutorial: Quick Posing

in Carrara
    Dartanbeck's simple method of character animation (Carrara Cafe article, great for those who prefer illustrated written tutorials)
    Huge list of helpful forum links (scroll to Animation and Posing section) If you have a problem, your answer might be here!
    Carrara 3D Tutorial - Posing a Figure
    Posing in Carrara
    Posing Tips - Carrara Cafe

in Bryce
    While it is not possible to pose things in Bryce, you are welcome to do your posing in another program such as DAZ Studio or Poser, then export and render in Bryce. For information on how to use the Bryce bridge to import a DS scene into Bryce: http://brycebasics.blogspot.com/2009/12/using-daz-studio-with-bryce.html

Always worth a look: last years Posing challenge:

Posing

I will be checking in, as will the rest of the Community Volunteers, to try and help with anything you all may need.

edited March 2022

Intermediate Challenge - March 2022

Posing II using Advanced posing tools

This includes powerpose, active pose and puppeteer, you can choose one or try yourself in all three. These tools give you a greater range to create your own new poses either from existing ones or from scratch. For example using puppeteer you can create new poses from existing ones on a fluent scale. It can be applied for animation as well, but for this challenge we will keep the focus on the still image.

You are welcome to use one of the references for a pose from the links in the beginner challenge, but it's not a requirement.

Information and Explanation

Powerpose

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/powerpose/start

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/178446/how-do-you-use-power-pose-for-making-expressions-with-g8

Daz Animarion Power Pose

Puppeteer

Daz site info: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/puppeteer/start

And a useful thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/252276/puppeteer-tutorials-and-the-like

Daz 1.6: Animation Puppeteer Tool

PowerPose tutorials

Pinning, Posing and the Active Pose Tool

Daz 3D Posing, Pinning Poses, & Morphs

Puppeteer tutorials

for DAZ Studio

Puppeteer

DAZ Studio - Using Puppeteer

Tutorial : puppeteering in DAZ Studio 4

Building a Coffee Shop scene in DAZ Studio using Puppeteer - 3D She...

DAZ3D 4.8 - Puppeteer

Hair Dynamics Effect in Daz Studio! Puppeteer from Poses!

For Carrara

puppeteer carrara (Older video, but still relevant.)

• OriginalSamhainOriginalSamhain Posts: 38
    edited March 2022

So this has been a serious work in progress and I'm still not entirely happy with it. I tried to recreate a real life pose, from a beautiful dance video I must have watched at least a hundred times - EDIFICE

This was really, really challenging, and I still look at it now and see a whole bunch wrong with the pose, and I think the camera angle is off as well, but I can't look at it anymore. 

Intermediate Challenge.

Edifice, created in DAZ studio

I've attached the photo I used as reference and, just for fun, my render and the original overlaid. You can see there's still quite a bit that's wrong, but even with Powerpose, I just couldn't get their bodies to perfectly line up! 

Hope you like!

Edifice final.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 6M
    Edifice comparison.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 5M
    4.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by OriginalSamhain on

OriginalSamhain said:

So this has been a serious work in progress and I'm still not entirely happy with it. I tried to recreate a real life pose, from a beautiful dance video I must have watched at least a hundred times - EDIFICE

This was really, really challenging, and I still look at it now and see a whole bunch wrong with the pose, and I think the camera angle is off as well, but I can't look at it anymore. 

Intermediate Challenge.

I've attached the photo I used as reference and, just for fun, my render and the original overlaid. You can see there's still quite a bit that's wrong, but even with Powerpose, I just couldn't get their bodies to perfectly line up! 

Hope you like!

@OriginalSamhain, Your image is quite lovely. Well done on the posing. 

• FettbemmeFettbemme Posts: 114
    edited March 2022

OriginalSamhain said:

Intermediate Challenge.

Hope you like!

yes

Post edited by Fettbemme on
    edited March 2022

Die Kugel

Die_Kugel_2.jpg
    1080 x 1920 - 1M
    edited March 2022

Archäologen

Render 2

Archäologen.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 338K
  • arten_arkenarten_arken Posts: 3
    edited March 2022

x

Post edited by arten_arken on
    edited March 2022

goodbye

arten_arken said:

good DOF yes

• aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 702
    edited March 2022

Bit of a silly one for this entry using PowerPose. Feedback welcome!

Every Single Time

Intermediate Challenge

Every Time 2.png
    1800 x 2025 - 7M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on
    edited March 2022

• HLEET_3DHLEET_3D Posts: 172

aprilshowers2065 said:

Every Single Time

Intermediate Challenge

Hello @aprilshowers2065

Just a little feedback as you asked for : maybe put some ghostlight to help luminate the scene 

• HLEET_3DHLEET_3D Posts: 172

aprilshowers2065 said:

Every Single Time

Intermediate Challenge

Hello @aprilshowers2065

Just a little feedback as you asked for : maybe put some ghostlight to help luminate the scene 

• sueyasueya Posts: 826

Here's the first version of my entry for the Intermediate challege with the pose I have been trying to re-create.

Constructive feedback welcome

edited March 2022

Thanks for the feedback @HLEET_3D. I actually already have a couple dozen ghost lights in the scene (the way the lighting for the candles are built) so I adjusted the Tone Mapping to make the scene brighter. 

Every Single Time3.png
    1800 x 2025 - 6M
  • @sueya, nice start! That's a pretty complicated pose. I would suggest bending her abdomen a little more, so her arms would rest on her knees a little more naturally. You also need to twist her arms towards her a bit more so that they tuck in nicely, like your reference pose. Her eyes also should probably be turned more towards the camera; right now she looks like she's looking at your reference wink. Finally, your character looks a little like she's floating, even though I can see her feet touching the bedsheet; not quite sure how to fix this, but maybe if you deform the sheets a little, just beneath her, it would look more like she's sitting on the bed. 

Thanks for the advice Here's the second version of  my image

crossleggirl.jpg
    474 x 474 - 23K
  • sueya said:

Thanks for the advice Here's the second version of  my image

Much better laugh 

edited March 2022

2nd entry for Intermediate. Feedback welcome

Let's Forget the Dishes

Let's Forget the Dishes 3.png
    1667 x 2000 - 5M
  • katywhitekatywhite Posts: 414
    edited March 2022

Title: The Storming of their Castle

Caption: The defences were crumbling rapidly, the warriors barely keeping the hordes back. It was only a matter of time before they breached the outer defences.

Software: Daz 3D

Challenge: Intermediate

Used Pupperteer and active pose for this fight scene. Feedback appreciated!

storming of their castle_edited.png
    2000 x 2000 - 7M
    Post edited by katywhite on
  • We didn't win the first prize, but the best... friendship

Reference: In my mind
    Software: Daz 3D, Photoshop
    Challenge: Beginner

After I did all the posing & composition by hand, I had massive problems with the settings - I love posing, but I struggle get all the light & render conf together.
    (forum post on this is currently being examined). Excuse the picture in this form first. Hope all is still recognizable. Looking forward to your feedback.

kids award.jpg
    774 x 748 - 635K
  • @sueya

I agree with my previous competitors, you really chose a complex reference. not only the pose itself, but also the positioning on the bed and the environment. It's not that easy to put a person on an object that should give way under the person, such as a mattress or a blanket. in your reference, the girl is sitting on a bright solid floor. it would have been easier to put your figure on a solid and possibly even colored background - not for the position, but for the view ;)

there is also the light, because actually there should be a shadow under your figure. if you are familiar with graphic programs and are not yet that familiar with light in daz (neither am I, by the way), then you can post-edit it in a graphics program. light helps you to make realistic shots look even more natural. I also uploaded an image and because I can't solve my problems with the daz settings right now, I just bypassed the problems. sometimes it helps, e.g. in the case of color differences between the furniture and a figure, to simply take a black and white picture of it. it also has to be adjusted a bit, but that's easier than umpteen colors, materials, etc.

but today and here it's all about posing and I think you're off to a really cool start here. go on!

Thanks for the feedback. I hope I have suceeded in improving the lighting and shadows. I have adjusted the pose slightly too.

• Daedalus-7Daedalus-7 Posts: 198
    edited March 2022

For me, one of the most difficult poses are good facial expressions. So, I spend quite some time to make it perfect.

Granted, I was inspired by another image in the DAZ Gallery to do this :)

Done in DAZ Studio 4.20 using Iray and some postwork. This would be my entry for the Posing II challenge.

Youthful Smile

EDIT: Improved image.

RN HD Judy Love 3.0 JPG.jpg
    1620 x 1440 - 1M
    Post edited by Daedalus-7 on
  • katywhitekatywhite Posts: 414
    edited March 2022

Title: Battle of Power

Caption: It was just a small and relatively pointless tower, but it gave them an excuse to fight, to prove who was truly the most powerful.

Software: Daz 3D

Challenge: Intermediate

Second entry. Used Pupperteer and active pose for this scene. Feedback appreciated!

Demon vs Queen of the Abyss Flamepainter.png
    1984 x 1992 - 6M
    Post edited by katywhite on
  • perlkperlk Posts: 846
    edited March 2022

WIP for the intermediate contest... looking for feedback. I feel like I struggle with the body position. It looks like her body curves towards the right, but I have moved the torso this way and that and it still doesn't look that close.

(Also, I have struggled to find a dress or a skirt that looks like this, if anyone has any suggestions on where I can find one. This one was a Poser dress I had to remodel in Hexagon to fit G8F.)

Original reference: https://www.deviantart.com/faestock/art/Briar-sitting-pose-reference-1-502898468

march-posing-contest.png
    1920 x 1536 - 4M
    Post edited by perlk on
  • @perlk, from the look of it, you need to bend her abdomen to the right slightly, then her chest back towards the left so you get a bit of a curve like the model. 

As for the dress, maybe this would work?: https://www.daz3d.com/isolabella-dress It's for Genesis 2, but it's got a morph that sort of looks like the skirt in the reference. It was also given out as a weekly freebie not too long ago, so maybe you already have it.  

• perlkperlk Posts: 846

Thanks @aprilshowers2065 - this is helpful! I'll look at bending her abdoment and chest as you suggested.

I don't have Isolabella dress, but I think the skirt is a bit too fitted. I started modeling my own but dforce hates me :-)

Stay tuned for a revised version!!!

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

@perlk I think your struggle results from the fact that the original is not sitting up stright, she has the legs probably bent sideways and the pelvis tilted, as well there is a forward backward movement in her pelvis /spine, which is hard to see. When unshure how a pose works on the body I try to replicate it in front of a mirror and that way I can feel which movements are involved